2012 DC Universe All-Stars 6" Figure Preview

The Wire

If I had the room for anymore of these the 2 I want from this is Plasticman and that Orange Lantern guy. Don't need another Batman Beyond and don't care for Superboy never been a fan of any kind of Superboy's.

I dont get it. I thought they were discontinuing DCUC so that they could sell more recognizable charactes at retail and sell the more obscure characters on Matty. These characters seem too obscure for retail. Something doesn't mesh somewhere.

The only thing notable about this offering is how unimpressive it is.

Was anyone asking for this Plastic Man figure? Poison Ivy and Jay Garrick need a subscription in order to be offered but Mattel feels Larfleeze and over-designed Plastic Man can hold their own at retail? A re-release to kick off the "refreshening" of the brand?

• Like 1

After seeing that Bat Beyond picture, I have a feeling that this new All-stars line will probably have a few re-leases of figures-- just without the CnC piece. Similar to the All star wave of before...

When I still supported Mattel, I always wanted them to release a child-size Richard Grayson Robin, a post-crisis Jason Todd Robin II, a Super Powers Superman (with new head sculpt and thicker "S" in the S shield (similar to the Legion Superboy "S"). A Super Powers Kalibak, Kal-El Superboy (without the stupid grinch smile), an 1980's headband Supergirl, a Red Hood II Jason Todd, and Mr. Freeze without the goggles, just to name a few. I always wanted a DCUC version of the 1980s Super Powers batmobile (my favorite style of the Batmobile). DCUC should have made vehicles in the past, for that line. But since I no longer support the gangsters at Matty, it doesnt really matter to me anymore what they release... As I said before, the only way that I would ever buy any Matty products-- is if I find them priced at extremely low prices...i.e. $5-8 for figures, which normally rage at $17 - 20.

I agree. I don't think they know what they are doing anymore, either.

Those figures suck. Nobody wants Flashpoint Plastic Man. They want the real Plastic Man. One can't help but speculate that the talent involved doesn't even care about producing good work, anymore; Superboy Prime looks off, somehow, like they got the likeness or costume design wrong or something, and cutting corners on figures like Larfleeze throw the whole thing off.

Batman Beyond might be a welcome reissue for anyone who couldn't find one when it was originally released. So I'd feel wrong to say anything bad about that. But if they're gonna rerelease it, why not do it RIGHT this time, with the red wing cape and the less muscled, double jointed body? Wow, how much does it cost to sculpt and cast a red rubber cape... it's not like they couldn't put the Batman Beyond head sculpt they already have on one of the less muscled double jointed bodies that they also already have and manufacture it just as easily as they could an exact (inaccurate) reissue.

With the exception of Batman Beyond (Who just reeks of the figure Mattel came up with when they asked themselves, "We need a re-issue to cut corners. What Batman figure have we not re-released enough that we can use here to anchor this wave and save a few bucks?") the rest of this poor, poor line-up just look like characters Geoff Johns wanted to see from his own storylines made into action figures.

Then again, on a desperately optimistic note, I remember when DCUC first came around, I wasn't too thrilled with their first wave either. Orion? The Demon??? Nice figures but there were a whole lot more characters beating them out on my wish list. It wasn't until Waves 2 or 3 that DCUC really started to thrill me.

Nobody wants Flashpoint Plastic Man.

Of this entire boring line-up I keep coming back to this one and asking, "Why are you here? Who asked for you???"

I have to echo a sentiment currently roaring across all of the internet and even asked by myself earlier in this thread... We need a special subscription in order to make Jay Garrick and Poison Ivy available but Mattel can confidently offer a Plastic Man nobody asked for at retail???

Why all the negativity??

Looks to me like DCUC is just continuing under another name, with smaller waves (like BATMAN LEGACY), and without the collect-n-connect piece.

Frankly, to the last point, I'm glad. At $16/per, these figs are getting ridiculously expensive. Now I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on something by NOT building the BAF.

BATMAN BEYOND? Already got him, but a great character.

PLASTIC MAN? Cool!

LARFLEEZE? Excellent!

SUPER-BOY PRIME? I'll take him!

Thanks, MATTEL! No complaints here!

• Like 1

We need a special subscription in order to make Jay Garrick and Poison Ivy available but Mattel can confidently offer a Plastic Man nobody asked for at retail???

Yes.

That's called "marketing"...The Law of Supply and Demand.

The most requested figures will probably be MATTY COLLECTOR figs...although they did throw a bone with LARFLEEZE.

We need a special subscription in order to make Jay Garrick and Poison Ivy available but Mattel can confidently offer a Plastic Man nobody asked for at retail???

Yes.

That's called "marketing"...The Law of Supply and Demand.

The most requested figures will probably be MATTY COLLECTOR figs...although they did throw a bone with LARFLEEZE.

So they're saving the less requested characters for their retail offerings??

Mattel: "Sorry, Walmart. Everyone wants a Poison Ivy. We can sell her on our own and charge twenty bucks for her. Here... you can have this Plastic Man nobody asked for. Good luck."

• Like 1

I actually do not have a Batman Beyond yet since I have never seen him at the stores despite getting the CnC part on Ebay years ago.

I don't get where all the complaining is coming from. I am not saying this because I don't have a Batman Beyond figure. This isn't the first time Mattel have reissued a figure before. They usually reissue a figure every other wave. The most recent was the Walmart wave Joker and Black Batman, as well as a 2nd reissue of Deathstroke.

• Like 2

Nobody wants Flashpoint Plastic Man.

Of this entire boring line-up I keep coming back to this one and asking, "Why are you here? Who asked for you???"

I have to echo a sentiment currently roaring across all of the internet and even asked by myself earlier in this thread... We need a special subscription in order to make Jay Garrick and Poison Ivy available but Mattel can confidently offer a Plastic Man nobody asked for at retail???

I think that is the sole reason why Plasticman is in this wave. It is a modern, "elseworld" rendition of a C-list character. Jay Garrick and POison Ivy are both classic characters. Come to think about it, everyone in the Allstar wave are either new characters or characters in new outfits. Months ago, Mattel did say that they will continue DCUC figures at retail with characters that are more current in the comics to appeal to young comic readers.

It makes sense. They put all the classic characters in the subscription and are releasing new characters that are currently popular in the comics or cartoon at retail. Seems like this is the case.