G.I. Joe Sub Service: Figure 8 Revealed - Barrel Roll

The Wire

what a let down i know they took the dtc one but man did they drop the ball on him. i like the upper part but those legs suck big time. another one that is a pass and now im officially out of the sub line. for me this is not worth the cash.

• Like 1

Looks like there's no waist piece and the gray boots are always stupid looking. Who the hell wears primer gray boots anyway? @haha@

I don't really understand this figure at all. 1st, Barrel Roll isn't a very popular character. 2nd, this figure doesn't look very much like any of the Barrel Roll versions.

The top half of the figure works okay, but the bottom half doesn't look very good. And VH is right about the grey boots, they always look terrible.

If I got this figure, I would be looking to do a leg swap

They should have done him in the Blue and Silver colors of the original. Tan Grunt and Barrel Roll look like they are the same figure.

Hmm...I can appreciate the sculpt they used for Barrel Roll, but...there's just waaay too much brown going on there. Had they done some better highlights or tried a little more color to break up all that mud brown, this figure would have been great. Oh well. Maybe it will look better in person...

On a positive note, I do like the thoughts of him having the smaller, more compact high-altitude glider/jetpack-thingy. Just not a brown one. (lol)

Biggest disappointment so far. The parts were available to make a decent v1 one version, I have done so, surely they could. Where do I begin? Why the DTC version? most prefer the v1. It had an amazing DDP comic cover and the stalls were one of the more popular new characters introduced in the JVC days. The helmet looks like a soft helmet I used for sparing in Karate when I was younger. It does not look millitary grade. It also doesn't look hasbro grade, it also reminds of a PTE or knock off helmet. I hated the original's helm and here we have this one again. That Torso? I can kinda see how it mimics v1's armor, but they were going for the DTC right? it just doesn't look cohesive. A really detailed chest piece, but such a plain helmet don't mesh well. As i have gotten older I like my Joes more and more grounded in reality. I'll admit to loving the original glider at the time, but i have never been found of this particular glider, and in brown in looks even less appealing.

Maybe I can comfort myself like some old school Jinx fans did? Does this mean hasbro didn't let them use the v1 design so they could pay homage to it later?

The DTC version was better. That doesn't get said too often post-25th.

Everyone is allowed their take, but why? It did look more realistic, and I appreciate the new injected shoulders but the character really aged since the last headsculpt! I loathed the helmet with holes in and it just didn't seem as iconic or unique as the v1 look to me.

I can just imagine BR gliding with his hightech glider, while all the Grunts are falling behind. They used Dukes parts, the one with the rockets backpack. I would pass this fig at retail, I definately would not pay 20+ for it. Its is just so bland.

The DTC version was better. That doesn't get said too often post-25th.

Everyone is allowed their take, but why? It did look more realistic, and I appreciate the new injected shoulders but the character really aged since the last headsculpt! I loathed the helmet with holes in and it just didn't seem as iconic or unique as the v1 look to me.

I guess I just think it's a more well rounded figure. Better proportions, IMO (although the first one's wasn't horrible either). If you're comparing looks, it's apples and oranges. One has a blue color scheme, the other brown.....I don't know, there is no reason for why I like him better, I guess.

I am excited for Dice, Iron Klaw, Jinx and Topside... This guy, not so much. The original Spy Troops Barrel Roll was awesome but wasn't so much of a fan of the DTC fig. Hopefully we see a new Blackout figure get made as part of the sub plan or not.

I'd buy it if it was on a peg at Big Lots or ROSS/Marshalls stores for $4.99 and use it for custome fodder or to repaint and stick him in a tank along with Heavy metal, but it definetly has no appeal in trying to lure me into signing up with the collectors club as an officer and then paying an extra (?????) a month for the entire set of subpar, overpriced, fodder pieces.

Never liked this take on the character. And this figure is doing nothing to change my opinion. They took what seemed like a cool, new character in Barrel Roll and when they gave him this look in DTC it made him seem like an older, boring, balding character. This line seems to be hit or miss with me.

Dice - Hit

Nano BAT - Miss

Grunt - Hit (because I still don't have a Grunt in plain uniform)

Jinx - Miss

Topside - Hit

Barrel Roll - Miss

Iron Klaw - Undecided.

Give me something worth while soon, or else I'm going to be sitting this out. Even with what's been seen, you're already looking at spending some where around $150 on just those figures. That seems a bit steep when I'm only liking 3 of them so far. That takes it from $20+ a figure to $50+ a figure. No thanks. At that price, I can probably get them on eBay.

Out of what we seen so far many of them fall into yes, I'd buy them but only at retail prices;

Nano-Bat

Topside

Iron Klaw (would still need some fix-ups)

I wouldn't buy Dice or Grunt at all And now i can add Barrel Roll to that list.

and only Jinx really feels special or worth extra.

I worry the club is not going to have a lot of subscribers here.

Well, we have seen 8 figures (some good, some not so much) the box that they plan to ship them in but still no details on how much. What are they waiting for??? It's time to put that out there and let people decide once and for all if they are going to pay 3X retail price for these.

I'm waiting for the price reveal as well.

It is a bit strange they haven't released any pricing info at all but they've nearly revealed all the figures now (and a running a poll on the next batch on Facebook) so I hope we get some pricing news soon! I guess not many people will be buying all 6 sets and getting the mystery figure...

I'm sure they were hoping a full reveal of all the figures BEFORE dropping the price on us, would cushion the blow and make it all right? @haha@