G.I. Joe Sub Service: Figure 6 Revealed - Iron Klaw

wolverine2281

I like Iron Klaw, but I'm already working on my own custom of him. I'm just waiting to see what the final cost breakdown is.

Honestly, while everyone wants to see the price at $8-10 per figure, we all know that just isn't financially feasible with such a low production run. However, $20-25 figure is a little steep in my opinion, especially when He-Man Classics figures run for like $20 on an online-only sales model. So, what would you like to see the cost per figure be, realistically?

PharmV

I have no stake in this, since I've stopped collecting G.I. Joe, but I have an idea for the price point. The figures in JoeCon sets average out to about $15 per figure. That's what I think a reasonable price would be for the subscription figures.

Not to whine, but I hate how everyone keeps using Mattel's MotUC as a comparison. There's just a lot of differences. I understand that it's easy because they are both going to be sold online, marketed as "Collector's Clubs/lines" and are basically re-used molds with very limited new tooling (for the most part). But the fact is that Mattel is making the MotUC figures, they own the rights, they're producing more than the Joe figures production run will more than likely be (most places have the MotUC figure being produced at about 10k a figure and the figures keep on getting re-released through the club or other means (ie the TRU two packs). The Joe club has to pay character usage rights to Hasbro, will have a lower production run (I'm betting on less than 5k a figure) and only be sold through them once and that's it (when they're gone, they're gone!).

I understand everyone's complaints. Heck, I'm on a limited budget myself. But twenty to twenty-five bucks is not a deal-breaker for exclusive vintage carded G.I. Joe figures to me. It's just not. If that's the only way I'm gonna get a given figure, and I want it bad enough, and I'm sure that's going to be the lowest price point this figure is ever available for, then why not? I don't mean to sound like a defeatest, or a consumer that rolls over for price-gouging toy companies. It's just that in my experience things like these only go up in price, so why not pay what will most assuredly be the lowest price these things will ever be available for? Again it goes back to what you're willing to pay for something you want. If we had some way to change things or appeal to toy companies other than with our wallets, then yeah, let's talk about what a more reasonable price would be. But the companies set the price, then the secondary collector market dictates how high the price goes from there. That's how it usually works and we can't change it. Your only choice is not to buy, then you're denying yourself some enjoyment over a few bucks. I'm telling ya guys, twenty-plus bucks isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things. But there again, you have to consider the club membership fee too. That's the biggest deterrent for me probably, to pay the membership fee and the additional cost per figure. But hey...in retrospect, when the price of these things skyrocket later, it may not seem like that much after all in comparison.

Having said all of this guys, I have to admit that I sometimes am one of those collectors that feeds the scalper/price-gouging mentality, because I usually find a way to pay for something I want when I want it bad enough. Maybe I'm just weak, I don't know. I just don't see the alternative in today's collector market, other than doing without, and that's just downright depressing. I know alot of you guys are alot more frugal or discerning than I am, and honestly I admire that. I guess I'm just a sucker. (lol)

• Like 1

Plus BBTS is giving me a 7 pack of figures I've wanted forever (Dreadnoks) for 50 bucks.........

! yeah, that is a fact!!! and it really kinda puts the entire club pricing into perspective since the BBTS exclusives are just as exclusive as anything the Club has ever done.

BBTS is putting out 14 figures that we have never had, with plenty of new tooling, for a total of 90 bucks!

The GiJoe club has been putting out sets of 15 figures that cost over 300 for years!

WTF is the GiJoe club doing wrong?

(it should also be noted that the Matty MOTUC figures are 20 bucks for figures that are much bigger, with much more new tooling, and much more packaging... so I don't think these figures should even approach that price point)

Plus, the BBTS sets are better than any figure sets the Club has ever done probably

easy they are greedy as hell!!!!!!!!! this is another pass for me so 5 out of 6 that we have seen i dont want has just saved me 300+ . i dont understand why they are making such crap figs when they have all the parts hasbro uses.

Ah yes - they're greedy as hell. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are dealing with only the smallest percentage of volume that Hasbro does when manufacturing for regular retail or even online exclusives. That has nothing to do with it really [/sarcasm].

Hard to say, since none of us know any of the details these companies have struck with each other. Mattel owns the MOTUC license but they pay and farm out the actual selling of the figures to Digital River. Also any distribution numbers you hear I would take with a large grain of salt. That being said I don't think the Club is trying to rip anyone off. If the figures end up costing $20-$25 then that may be a perfectly legit cost based on expenses and such. My point is that it really doesn't matter if the cost is justifiable or not. You just get to a point where the cost outweighs the value of what your getting and you just price yourself out of the market. That is the danger I see here.

Again I am sure their will always be a small handful of fans willing to pay absorbent prices. We see it all the time on eBay. But I think those people are in a very small minority and I find it hard to believe those people can really support a toyline on their own. Even with MOTUC and Mattel, I don't see that line terribly successful for the company. Being there is no other way to buy those figures (other than second hand market) they may be able to sell enough to keep the line on life support (though as they start having to dip more and more into the less mainstream characters and repaints, I see that becoming harder and harder to do) till they can find a way to get the line back to mass retail (mainly holding out till or if a MOTU movie is ever made), but I don't see it generating sales that really makes the company that much money. I also hate the fact that the way Mattel handles MOTUC does nothing to open the line to new people. If you haven't been collecting the line since day 1 who is going to jump into a high priced line like that where you can't really get the core characters anymore??? The way Mattel does it, it may have gotten hardcore fans in such a frenzy they are their the minute the figure goes on sale cause they are afraid it might "sell out" but to me it does nothing to bring new or less hardcore fans into the hobby.

Anyway I am not going to panic till we hear actual prices and even if they are in the $20-$25 range I'm not going to scream bloody murder or accuse the club of trying to rip people off, however at those prices I won't be buying in.

Not to whine, but I hate how everyone keeps using Mattel's MotUC as a comparison. There's just a lot of differences. I understand that it's easy because they are both going to be sold online, marketed as "Collector's Clubs/lines" and are basically re-used molds with very limited new tooling (for the most part). But the fact is that Mattel is making the MotUC figures, they own the rights, they're producing more than the Joe figures production run will more than likely be (most places have the MotUC figure being produced at about 10k a figure and the figures keep on getting re-released through the club or other means (ie the TRU two packs). The Joe club has to pay character usage rights to Hasbro, will have a lower production run (I'm betting on less than 5k a figure) and only be sold through them once and that's it (when they're gone, they're gone!).

So, what would you like to see the cost per figure be, realistically?

PharmV

$7.99 no higher

I understand everyone's complaints. Heck, I'm on a limited budget myself. But twenty to twenty-five bucks is not a deal-breaker for exclusive vintage carded G.I. Joe figures to me. It's just not.

There not vintage though. Would you want to pay the same price for a Mona Lisa copy, that the original sells for? I know you certainly wouldn't want to pay MORE for it. Tossing the word "exclusive" around to justify asinine prices is getting ridiculous with this hobby.

I understand everyone's complaints. Heck, I'm on a limited budget myself. But twenty to twenty-five bucks is not a deal-breaker for exclusive vintage carded G.I. Joe figures to me. It's just not.

There not vintage though. Would you want to pay the same price for a Mona Lisa copy, that the original sells for? I know you certainly wouldn't want to pay MORE for it. Tossing the word "exclusive" around to justify asinine prices is getting ridiculous with this hobby.

Oh no...I just meant they come on vintage-style cardbacks, not that they're all vintage figures or characters necessarily, although one or two are. I just really like the thoughts of having some (what I think are) cool figures in vintage-style packaging. And if I like them enough, I'll pay around twenty-bucks for them easily.

I'd be down with 15 dollars a figure.......I don't think that is too crazy for an exclusive figure. I mean thats how much Zarana was. (I even got 10% off on her too) I know its directly from Hasbro and without all the licensing fees and all (Zarana I mean).....but I'd be on board for that......around 20 dollars with shipping. I feel like thats not too bad.......

Oh no...I just meant they come on vintage-style cardbacks, not that they're all vintage figures or characters necessarily, although one or two are. I just really like the thoughts of having some (what I think are) cool figures in vintage-style packaging. And if I like them enough, I'll pay around twenty-bucks for them easily.

SHhhhhhhhhhh!! @haha@ Remember...INSIDE VOICE on that! ;)

@loll@

BTW, love the new avatar VH!

Can't go wrong with the Eastwood! ;)

I just really like the thoughts of having some (what I think are) cool figures in vintage-style packaging. And if I like them enough, I'll pay around twenty-bucks for them easily.

This is where Hasbro really takes advantage of the collector, IMO, with the "vintage" style packaging. A great example is at your Target stores now: "Vintage" SW Taun Taun, $25. To its immediate left, the same Taun Taun with two figures, modern packaging, $25.

Hasbro's not paying any more to make thier boxes look old school...

Of course, if you really like it and are willing to pay, more power to ya.

What can I say? I'm a sucker. (lol) Seriously, with the secondary market the way it is, I just think that later on these things will easily end up being two and three times what the club will be charging, so why not get them for what will most assuredly be the cheapest price. And yes yojobro, maybe the vintage packaging is a gimmick...but it works on me. I just can't help it.

What can I say? I'm a sucker. (lol) Seriously, with the secondary market the way it is, I just think that later on these things will easily end up being two and three times what the club will be charging, so why not get them for what will most assuredly be the cheapest price. And yes yojobro, maybe the vintage packaging is a gimmick...but it works on me. I just can't help it.

That's the whole exasperating thing about this hobby anymore. The secondary market has ruined it for many collectors and left only those with nothing to do but spend more of their easily earned (you would have to think?) money...on plastic toys with cardboard painted to look like something they loved as a child? Openly expressing what we would gladly PAY (beyond what is reasonable) for this crap, in public forum, is just asking the scalpers and so-called "secondary market" operators to exploit the hobby and it's fans even more so.

I somewhat agree about the secondary market seemingly creating a toy's "worth" as it were, but on the other hand that same market has made getting items a lot easier too. In 1987 if you wanted the 85 Snake Eyes you were, more or less, SOL. Now you can find that toys easily on the internet for a wide range of prices, hopefully one your actually willing to pay.

The secondary market (ebay, for all intents and purposes) is becoming a joke for determining an items "worth". Take four sellers all with the exact same item and you could very well get price ranges anywhere from $20 to $50 to $100 difference and anywhere in between. All depending on what price comes the seller in their dreams.

It would be different if people did auctions anymore...

Anyway, that's it for me being Mr. Crabbypants #US1#

YoJoe!

That's the whole exasperating thing about this hobby anymore. The secondary market has ruined it for many collectors and left only those with nothing to do but spend more of their easily earned (you would have to think?) money...on plastic toys with cardboard painted to look like something they loved as a child? Openly expressing what we would gladly PAY (beyond what is reasonable) for this crap, in public forum, is just asking the scalpers and so-called "secondary market" operators to exploit the hobby and it's fans even more so.

Because everything said on the internet is true.

Seriously, nobody cares what someone says they'll pay. It's what someone actually will pay. He's not airing state secrets. One person being willing to pay a hundred dollars a figure won't pay for a toy line. Even one in ten being willing to do that won't. The simple fact is if you have ever paid more than retail for a toy at any time, you've contributed to the problem. These scalpers deal in volume and for every figure they manage to unload at three or five (or more) times retail, they have to gamble on breaking even somewhere else. I'm not crying for 'em and I hope they choke on their left overs, but it's the reality of the situation.

As for Ebay and outrageous BINs, that's the other side of the coin. You can list your MOC whatever for ONE MILLION DOLLARS but it doesn't mean someone will buy it. I've seen stuff get relisted and relisted for years - aint no one going to pay. About the only thing BINs are good for is low balling: if you want to get rid of something, put it ten percent less than the lowest BIN and someone will snag it.

For me, when I've sold off older stuff all auctions start at .99 cents with no reserve. Whatever I get is what I get.

Thank you guys. That's what I keep trying to say; I know what I myself am willing to pay for something. I shop around and compare prices, and I do my homework. I look for a given item knowing what I feel is a reasonable price for it. If I think it's outrageous or unreasonable, I'll just assume a given seller is smoking crack and I'll walk away, as it were. No matter what we do or say, the secondary market exists. The price gouging happens. And yes, sometimes an artificial shortage is creatd by scalpers and hoaders looking to take advantage of us collectors and make a quick buck. We can talk all day long about what a reasonable or unreasonable price is to pay for an action figure, but it's a fact that companies and stores set prices, then when stock is gone, the secondary market determines the prices, and you either pay that or you don't. It's a simple as that. Now if these new carded Joes were being offered at retail for twenty-five bucks a pop, I'll admit I'd have to think long and hard about it, especially if they could be found anywhere and everywhere. But they're not gonna be. You're only gonna be able to get them through the club at first, then through the secondary market. And do you think for one minute secondary sellers are gonna adhere to that price? Of course not. So...given the situation, as I have stated before, twenty-to-twenty-five bucks per figure, in this situation that we have no say in or control over, is probably the cheapest we'll ever see these figures available for. It's just a fact. I understand those of you that ask why pay such an inflated price for the same thing we used to pay way under half at retail. I know. I get it. But what can you do about it? You can complain and not buy the figures, or you can spend the money for what you want. I personally think they're cool enough to invest a little in.

Hey...I wish it were still 1984 and you could buy oodles of Joes at any given store for a buck ninety-eight or whatever. But it's not 1984 anymore. I just try to stay positive and remain a collector within the confines of the current collecting environment, which happens to include words like availability, scalping, exclusive, limited edition, and *cringe* AFA Graded.

Because everything said on the internet is true.

Seriously, nobody cares what someone says they'll pay. It's what someone actually will pay. He's not airing state secrets. One person being willing to pay a hundred dollars a figure won't pay for a toy line. Even one in ten being willing to do that won't. The simple fact is if you have ever paid more than retail for a toy at any time, you've contributed to the problem. These scalpers deal in volume and for every figure they manage to unload at three or five (or more) times retail, they have to gamble on breaking even somewhere else. I'm not crying for 'em and I hope they choke on their left overs, but it's the reality of the situation.

As for Ebay and outrageous BINs, that's the other side of the coin. You can list your MOC whatever for ONE MILLION DOLLARS but it doesn't mean someone will buy it. I've seen stuff get relisted and relisted for years - aint no one going to pay. About the only thing BINs are good for is low balling: if you want to get rid of something, put it ten percent less than the lowest BIN and someone will snag it.

For me, when I've sold off older stuff all auctions start at .99 cents with no reserve. Whatever I get is what I get.

Doesn't matter does it? If these scalpers wipe out the selection of toys I want from the brick and mortar and even the online shops, I still can't find what I want, and at a price I prefer, can I? As far as what the collector club wants to charge for these things....you seriously don't think they pay attention to what people are paying (in the secondary market) for them and are just charging barely enough to cover their costs and a little pocket change? I doubt they're reading what people "claim" they're willing to pay for it (that's a bit of a tease I'm giving my old friend DB) on these forums, but can figure it out by what they actually do spend on anything they can slap an "exclusive" or "limited edition" label on. If $20-$25 seems to be the going rate (not a million dollars) for something a scalper took off the shelf at Walmart and placed on his or hers eBay page, then by golly that seems to be the gauge for where to price THEIR stuff as well.

Thank you guys. That's what I keep trying to say; I know what I myself am willing to pay for something. I shop around and compare prices, and I do my homework. I look for a given item knowing what I feel is a reasonable price for it. If I think it's outrageous or unreasonable, I'll just assume a given seller is smoking crack and I'll walk away, as it were. No matter what we do or say, the secondary market exists. The price gouging happens. And yes, sometimes an artificial shortage is creatd by scalpers and hoaders looking to take advantage of us collectors and make a quick buck. We can talk all day long about what a reasonable or unreasonable price is to pay for an action figure, but it's a fact that companies and stores set prices, then when stock is gone, the secondary market determines the prices, and you either pay that or you don't. It's a simple as that. Now if these new carded Joes were being offered at retail for twenty-five bucks a pop, I'll admit I'd have to think long and hard about it, especially if they could be found anywhere and everywhere. But they're not gonna be. You're only gonna be able to get them through the club at first, then through the secondary market. And do you think for one minute secondary sellers are gonna adhere to that price? Of course not. So...given the situation, as I have stated before, twenty-to-twenty-five bucks per figure, in this situation that we have no say in or control over, is probably the cheapest we'll ever see these figures available for. It's just a fact. I understand those of you that ask why pay such an inflated price for the same thing we used to pay way under half at retail. I know. I get it. But what can you do about it? You can complain and not buy the figures, or you can spend the money for what you want. I personally think they're cool enough to invest a little in.

Hey...I wish it were still 1984 and you could buy oodles of Joes at any given store for a buck ninety-eight or whatever. But it's not 1984 anymore. I just try to stay positive and remain a collector within the confines of the current collecting environment, which happens to include words like availability, scalping, exclusive, limited edition, and *cringe* AFA Graded.

That's all very well stated DB and totally understood and agreed with. However, that is still the exasperating state of the hobby right now regardless of the rational logic behind it. When I stick to my guns and refuse to pay what I think is too much for something and suddenly I find that I'm no longer buying much of ANY of it (no where to be found at the stores and already SOLD OUT online) that's still going to be a frustrating and disappointing state of affairs for a longtime Joe collector. Most people probably wouldn't admit to price EVER being a problem, too proud to admit to money woes or limited incomes to splurge, but I'm just being blunt and honest about it. Pushing these things up closer to almost $10 a figure is bad enough, but $20 and higher for something brand new, but made to look vintage, is outrageous IMO. That's all. ;)