Mark Hamill bids farewell to the Joker

Wheeljack35

http://blastr.com/2011/10/send-out-the-clown-mark-h.php

tumblr_ltc6pb6RHA1qzozj1-thumb-450x338-74300.png

Whoever said there are no second acts in American lives obviously wasn't talking about Mark Hamill, who went from sci-fi icon to video game FMV star to voice-over greatness. Now, he's bidding farewell to his most prominent role in that last field, and going, as it were, with a smile.

Hamill, who has been the voice of Batman arch-villain the Joker for almost 20 years (oh, and also appeared in a couple of sci-fi movies of which you might have heard), made his retirement from speaking for the Clown Prince of Crime official on Twitter this morning, posting "Hello/Goodbye Joker! I've enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of the Crown Prince's crazy car - I'm going to miss him more than I can say!!"

Hamill's last voice appearance for the character was in the newly released Batman: Arkham City, the highly anticipated sequel to the bestselling 2009 video game Arkham Asylum. Many were expecting this as he mentioned back in 2010 that his voice role in the video game would be his last, but fans were hoping against hope it wouldn't be true.

Hamill began voicing Batman's arch-enemy in 1992 with Batman: The Animated Series, a role he continued in The New Batman Adventures and in episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League and Static Shock, as well as the animated movies Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Video games, toys, amusement park rides, even a flashback in the live-action Birds of Prey series - The Dark Knight aside, virtually anywhere in the past 20 years you have heard the voice of The Joker, it probably belonged to Hamill.

Hamill is not done playing a villain; he will have a small cameo role on NBC's Chuck for that show's final season. The episode he plans to appear in is called, "Chuck vs. the Zoom," and he will be playing an arch villain holding two young people hostage, forcing them to jump off a cliff. It is only one scene, but it has Chuck fans as well as Hamill fans excited.

I agree when i read the Joker in comics Hamills voice is who i hear...same as Conroy with Batman! When i saw the end of Arkham City i was like wow what a way to say good bye to a role!

I didn't realize he did the Hobgoblin from the 90's Spiderman series. When I hear the Hobgoblin , I hear the Joker coming thru when he laughs or lowers his voice. He did a great Hobgoblin also. He did a great Wolverine in the videogame also. It's amazing how he makes those subtle changes to his voice to be different characters.

He will be greatly missed as the Joker though. :(

He has done tons of voice work over the years...look up random cartoons and you'll see lots of names for big time actors.

He said he was done with the joker after Arkham Asylum....i guess Arkham City gave him the opportunity to offically say good bye...but who knows...Andrea Romano is pretty convincing from what i hear so if there is a JL or Batman Animated Movie and they need Joker you may never know in Hollywood!

But who will play the Joker in the inevitable Arkham 3 video game?

Pretty safe to say the Joker won't be in the inevitable Arkham City sequel. He's a little bit busy being dead by the end of Arkham City. His legacy, however, lives on...both literally and figuratively. Makes sense for Hamill to exit stage left...the game is a great send-off for the character.

Pretty safe to say the Joker won't be in the inevitable Arkham City sequel. He's a little bit busy being dead by the end of Arkham City. His legacy, however, lives on...both literally and figuratively. Makes sense for Hamill to exit stage left...the game is a great send-off for the character.

:rolleyes: Is anyone really

"dead"

in comics?

The video game world isn't the comic world (just like they killed Two-Face in the Nolan Bat-verse), so yes, he very well could be well and truly dead, especially since Harley is pregnant with (presumably) his child, and Mark Hamill is retiring from voicing the character. The game doesn't give him an ambiguous death and the series so far has been written by Paul Dini, the same guy that created Batman: The Animated Series. I don't think Dini would end his partnership with Hamill on a sour note by hiring someone to replace him in the next game.

• Like 2

The video game world isn't the comic world (just like they killed Two-Face in the Nolan Bat-verse), so yes, he very well could be well and truly dead, especially since Harley is pregnant with (presumably) his child, and Mark Hamill is retiring from voicing the character. The game doesn't give him an ambiguous death and the series so far has been written by Paul Dini, the same guy that created Batman: The Animated Series. I don't think Dini would end his partnership with Hamill on a sour note by hiring someone to replace him in the next game.

Youre taking this pretty seriously for a world that has Ras Al Ghul and Lazarus pits

• Like 1

I agree, Hamill is the definitive Joker to me. It is sad without a doubt but we are lucky he gave us so many classic Batman: TAS episodes and had decades of him voicing Mr. J. I also agree that he was a perfect Woverine in Wolverine's Revenge for PS2.

On another note, go check out "Body Bags" w/Hamill in it...

Youre taking this pretty seriously for a world that has Ras Al Ghul and Lazarus pits

If you prefer a second-rate replacement that makes this game pretty much meaningless within the context of its' own universe, then be my guest. Or just assume Paul Dini is the kind of guy that'd piss on a two-decade+ partnership.

Or maybe you should just, I dunno, actually play the game and see for yourself why the ending is fitting.

• Like 2

I have to agree that the they may get a new person to play joker in animation (John DiMaggio did a pretty good job in Under the Red Hood) however as far as Hamil goes he will come back if they do the Killing Joke in feature format. But yes a 2 decade partnership is hard to toss away.

Without spoiling the end of Arkham City, its safe to say that the Harley side story is where this will go if there is a 3rd Game. But it looks like the next stop for Rocksteady is Metropolis, Coast City, or Central City. All 3 were formentioned in Arkham City. Most likley we will FINALLY see a decent Superman game but i would also like to see a decent GL game as well. I dunno how Oliver Queen would do in his own game.

and as i agree with a Lazauras Pit existance...Othe

i think its safe to say the perverted one that Ra's had in Arkham City was taken care of so i dont think they can use that one.

r styles

I have to agree that the they may get a new person to play joker in animation (John DiMaggio did a pretty good job in Under the Red Hood) however as far as Hamil goes he will come back if they do the Killing Joke in feature format. But yes a 2 decade partnership is hard to toss away.

Without spoiling the end of Arkham City, its safe to say that the Harley side story is where this will go if there is a 3rd Game. But it looks like the next stop for Rocksteady is Metropolis, Coast City, or Central City. All 3 were formentioned in Arkham City. Most likley we will FINALLY see a decent Superman game but i would also like to see a decent GL game as well. I dunno how Oliver Queen would do in his own game.

Actually I'm pretty sure the next game will complete an "Arkham/Batman Trilogy" before they move on to any other heroes. There's mention of other places in the game, sure, but there are far more references and easter eggs concerning "things yet to come" for Batman and Gotham.

• Like 1

You can beat the story and still go back and do the side missions. I had to see the end. That and the game came out on the 18th and my Birthday was the 19th so i took a day to myself and knocked out a good chunk of it. I just finally got the 400 trophies needed to bag The Riddler. I am going to start Hard Plus Friday.

Total Game time without doing side missions i believe is 10-12 hours. If you did ALL the missions and gathered ALL the Trophies i think it has a total game time of 30 hours. Toss in the Challange Maps for Batman and Catwoman (assuming you got your game from Best Buy then add Robin) your looking at over 45 hours + of game play NOT including the Nightwing pack that comes out next week.

I'd like to see him play a transformers character voice :) hot rod or some such perhaps ?

him voiceing Starscream would be awesome

hmmm no I wouldn't want him at that ... he would just be switching from one crazy evil voice to the other ...