Batman Year One

Rockzilla

I don't think the movie has been officially released yet, but it is on the interwebz. So has anyone else seen this animated feature yet? Honestly I wasn't very impressed. I think the only thing that made it worth watching was Bryan Cranston as Gordon. The voice actor for Batman was downright terrible.

I came across it on daily motion the other day. I liked it, I thought that it was a descent movie. I liked that it was dark and mature, containing profanity and a lot of violence. I also liked that they made the Batman more believable, having him become injured during his night shifts. And not portrayed as the invincible guardian of the night, that most comic writers have turned him into in the past 25 years... I know that hes supposed to be a newbie in the night life, (since its based on the Year One book)-- but I like the way that he was portrayed. My only complaints were that the movie felt short, and that there wasn't more of a plot focusing a lot more on Bruce over Gordon.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday... It was alright... nothing spectacular.

I'm not a fan of Frank Miller. I think he went to the bathroom on the batman characters in his 3 graphic novels If this is good I will burrow it from a friend.

Me, either.

Miller is an over-rated talent who confuses shocking violence with cleverness and good writing.

Ever actually picked-up an issue of "SIN CITY"?? It's so bad that it's virtually unreadable, but people talk about it like it was Shakespeare.

The bar in comics has gotten VERY low, indeed.

So here's my 2 cents. Its was good for what it was. I didn't have a lot of expectations from this movie anyway. The preview for it on the Emeral Knights dvd looked, so so. It was better than I thought it was gonna be tho. & yes, the plot should have been centered around Batman more......it is after all based on a Batman comic & not a Gordon comic... right. Also the animation got real cheap & thrifty in a lot of places, but in a few other scenes the animation becomes real fluid. So just like the plot, the animation is 50/50.

Next is the Cat Woman character. So much went wrong, yet so much went right. Selina has never struck me as the American version of a "Neo Tokyo" cyber punk. You know, playing the role of street mother/big sister/lesbian lover to a litter of what...."kittens"?! BULL5HIT. Selina is FAR TO indipendant to get satteled with a clutch of charges to look after & slow her down. Saving them is one thing.....being a mother/lover is a whole different thing. & what the hell is up with making any & all fem fatals semi lesbian these days any how. Poor Wonder Woman has been stuck with that spinn for ages. Product of some straight male fantacy/insecurity if you ask me.

OK, enought of that. Now for the Cat Woman short (the redeeming element of the whole damn movie). The adult element & fluid animation is a must see!!! MY GAWD the things this bad kitty does with that wip almost makes me sad I'm strickly dickly.....almost. the story & plot are a lil cliche' & the ending starts to demand to much of the audiance's disbelief. But all in all the thing is damn hot!

So in recap. Batman's story ends up getting upstaged by Jim Gordon's story (& a very sexy semi nude body). I came awaywanting to 7uck Gordon's brains out & almost forgot about poor Bruce. & Cat woman's story was VERY good at making me want to 7uck her (that is for a gay dude), but lost points in the originalty dept.

So final score on my 0-5 star scale: 4 stars

i havent seen it yet but i have read the book. it was a simple story. nothing really great but not bad either. the book is also more based on gordon then bruce. sad actually because the title says batman year one. i know what to expect when i will finally watch it.

ps- Im the goddamn Batman!

It's really amazing-for how many people gush over his Dark Knight Rises-to know that the same writer brought us what is easily the worst inturpretation of Batman in recent memory.

Yup...like i said, leave that crap in the 80's. And then they pair his writing with the dated look of Jim Lee? 80s + 90s + Batman yelling at orphan's and humping Black Canary in public = ?

I watched it and liked it. It was basically everyone's origin story. I liked the take on Gordon, hell for a minute you would think he was gonna be Batman. I liked how Catwoman kept getting mad at the news haha

I don't mean to join the Miller lynching, but I hated and still hate how he turned Dick Grayson into the Joker... Of all the characters, why turn Richard into a future villain??!! Then again in that same reality, his Bruce Wayne/Batman was a sociopath....and then he goes and turns Janine Melnitz into a Robin....haha.

P.s. Miller was also the writer for RoboCop 2... Seems to me that Frankie must have been using some "Nuke" himself, when he wrote the Dark Knight Returns.... That would only explain the horrible plot lines for the DKR books....

• Like 1

I watched it last night due to a killer toothace that had me not able to concentrate on Arkham City...It was ok at best for me...animation could have been a tad better but i got the point...You gotta be a fan of Millers Kool-Aide to get his stuff...I dont like the OC kid for Batman he was horrible! but Eliza Dushku as Catwoman any day iof the week and twice on Sunday!

I don't mean to join the Miller lynching, but I hated and still hate how he turned Dick Grayson into the Joker... Of all the characters, why turn Richard into a future villain??!! Then again in that same reality, his Bruce Wayne/Batman was a sociopath....and then he goes and turns Janine Melnitz into a Robin....haha.

P.s. Miller was also the writer for RoboCop 2... Seems to me that Frankie must have been using some "Nuke" himself, when he wrote the Dark Knight Returns.... That would only explain the horrible plot lines for the DKR books....

I don't think Frank had any respect for Batman characters. The only thing worse than the stories were their horrid artwork. Peter Venkman is still mad that Frank stole his secretary.

I don't think Frank had any respect for Batman characters. The only thing worse than the stories were their horrid artwork. Peter Venkman is still mad that Frank stole his secretary.

Haha yea man, seriously... I bet that Pete went all "bug eyes" himself, when he learned that bit of news...

• Like 1

^_^ It was not a bad movie ,I enjoyed for what is was.I am not a big miller fan myself but I did enjoy year one.I do agree that The oc kids acting in it was not good but then agin what can you do when you are part of a show that protrayed all the kids preppy and had no goth kids or punk rockers.

I'm not a fan of Frank Miller. I think he went to the bathroom on the batman characters in his 3 graphic novels If this is good I will burrow it from a friend.

Me, either.

Miller is an over-rated talent who confuses shocking violence with cleverness and good writing.

Ever actually picked-up an issue of "SIN CITY"?? It's so bad that it's virtually unreadable, but people talk about it like it was Shakespeare.

The bar in comics has gotten VERY low, indeed.

@grumpy@ I love sin city that book is awsome.Sure did Frank go overboard with the violence but this was comic for older audiences and it was not a superhero comic at all.It is actually very easy to read.

But that is your opinon.I do agree the bar in comics have gone very low but Comics as a meduim have alway have their share of duds.Heck have you read some Batman comics in the 50s talk about chessey.

@hmmm@ bit harsh do you think not.Hoenestly I think Dark knight Return was good book.Sure it has it flaws but the artwork is great and the story to me was amazing.Batman went a bit over board with his grittiness and overall big a little bit too psychotic.But I do hate Dark knight strikes agin god was that book plain stupid(but not has stupid as all star batman and Robin.)

@hmmm@ bit harsh do you think not.Hoenestly I think Dark knight Return was good book.Sure it has it flaws but the artwork is great and the story to me was amazing.Batman went a bit over board with his grittiness and overall big a little bit too psychotic.But I do hate Dark knight strikes agin god was that book plain stupid(but not has stupid as all star batman and Robin.)

DKR may have been a good story if another writer wrote it, but the characters were portrayed to harshly for me to enjoy. Frank gave some interviews on his thoughts of the batman characters and it doesn't help his case any. I refuse to read allstar batman and robin. Also I never like the 50's batman comics. I'm still just going to burrow BYO from a friend.

not a fan of miller either. i barely understand his paintings. i just finished holy terror. half the book i didnt know what he was trying to paint. i didnt got it. sin city was awesome to me, same as 300 but i guess it is more because of the movies then millers way of art.

DKR may have been a good story if another writer wrote it, but the characters were portrayed to harshly for me to enjoy. Frank gave some interviews on his thoughts of the batman characters and it doesn't help his case any. I refuse to read allstar batman and robin. Also I never like the 50's batman comics. I'm still just going to burrow BYO from a friend.

okey we agree to disagree.not everyone is going to like him.as I said I am not that big of a fan of his also.