Spielberg won't 'go Lucas,' will release original E.T. on Blu-Ray

Wheeljack35

http://blastr.com/2011/09/spielberg-wont-go-lucas-w.php

ET_Spielberg-thumb-550x440-70550.jpg

Spielberg won't 'go Lucas,' will release original E.T. on Blu-Ray

0digg

73Share

At an event celebrating Raiders of the Lost Ark's 30th anniversary, Steven Spielberg revealed that when it comes to his genre masterpieces, fans will be able to get the versions they fell in love with.

On the heels of the uproar over George Lucas' ongoing mission to alter, tweak, twist and warp his Star Wars films, Spielberg took the opportunity while doing a Q&A after the L.A. Times Hero Complex screening of Raiders to set the record straight, as far as retroactively changing his films is concerned.

For a re-release of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial back in 2002, Spielberg famously went back to the movie and used CG to, most egregiously, turn guns into walkie-talkies. Now he's more sanguine about it:

For myself, I tried this once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [i might go in and change some things] ... it was okay for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T.

Spielberg then asked the audience which version of E.T. they'd want on Blu-ray. When they voiced their desire for the original 1982 cut, Spielberg said: "Okay, so be it."

That, at the end of the day, is all anyone wants from Lucas: He can futz with his films to his heart's content, but he should concurrently release the original versions as well. The past doesn't cease being the past just because we don't want to remember it.

people need to get over lucas changing the movies....its his movie he can do whatever he wants with it.

people need to get over lucas changing the movies....its his movie he can do whatever he wants with it.

Knowing him as I said before he will release the origionals out on Blu-Ray.He isn't stupid he wants to keep Star Wars in the limelight longer without the hassle of a making a new movie

He doesn't have too make another movie he has the next gen already locked In with the cartoon. I'm sure he will release to og version later on. He did it with dvds

Spielberg then asked the audience which version of E.T. they'd want on Blu-ray. When they voiced their desire for the original 1982 cut, Spielberg said: "Okay, so be it."

I love it! It really is THAT easy! Thank you, Spielberg.

I will show appreciation with my wallet. Take notes, Lucas.

I have E.T.on HBO as I write this ..

Spielberg has always treated this movie the most special of all his movie.The movie came out in 1982 and never released it on video till 1989.Then only a few short years ago he then let it be shown on Cable.

I just want to post that for the few who never knew this

I disagree with that. Yes they are his movies, but the fans made Star Wars the mega-pop-culture that it is today. Lucas needs to understand that just because it was originally his idea, does not mean it's totally his forever. I mean, do we have wait for him to DIE before we get what we want?

People want the original versions because that is what is special to them. Lucas keeps messing with that.