In Rememberance of 9/11

Wheeljack35

I'm Canadian, but I can actually remember that day well. I woke up and my roommate at the time called me into the living room. He had CNN on and said that the plane crashed into the WTC and another one had just crashed into it. I had to go work, but watched for a few minutes in awe of what was happening and went into my room and put Howard Stern on and listened. Howard and his crew were talking about what was going on. I put the radio on my walkman on walked down to the subway and headed to work. You could tell other people knew what was going on too. I got to work and everyone there was talking about what was going on. We went into the back and grabbed the radio and plugged it in out front (retail store) and listened to what was going on. There were even police and fire truck sirens heard through most of the day in downtown Toronto and it was pretty much a ghost town. I remember at about 1pm there was a guy out front on the street from the Toronto Sun handing out a free paper that had all the information about what had happened that morning. It was just a errie feeling most of the day. We ended up closing a couple hours early due to it being so quiet and I headed home and watched the news for most of the night.

I remember being woken up by my mother who said that a plane crashed into the WTC.I remebered back during WW2 asmall plane crashed into the Empire state building and thought wow this hasn't happened in almost 60 years.I put on the TV which was on CBS and I was watching Greg Gumbel .As they were talking I could see the second plane hit.I knew right then and there it was terrorism and it was no longer an accident.

I was watching all morning .I had to be at work at target at noon.As I was getting ready as I was surfing the networks I heard Peter Jennings say that another plane hit the Pentagon.I was thinking then damn they are all over the place whre was there a safe place to be.So I got to work and I got to the breakroom and it was filled with employees watching the coverage on the TV in the breakroom.

My boss a the time said we didn't have much work to do and the store was being remodeled so I asked to leave since NYC was only about an hour away from my hometown and I couldn't stop thinking about it.I came home and tried to contact my ex GF and see how they were doing.My hometown sent some departments to NYC to help out.Plus some people in my hometown were in the towers that day

Well I watched it nonstop the whole day.Just to think Bush was about two hours south of me when he first found out about it and my friends and family only lived an hour away :(

I remember I was playing with some of my action figures in the living room when my Mom had some news network on either Global or CHEK 6 and they showed the plane crashing into the tower I was only 9 so I didn't fully understand what was happening.

I woke up early that day and flipped on the TV and couldnt believe what i saw...I was watching the live feed when the 2nd plane hit...i was awe struck...I ran to my roomates room and woke him and his GF up and we all watched in total disbelief. my uncle and cousin worked in tower 1 and they got out safely thankfully.

I remember the morning of 9/11/01 very well; In a totally unrelated detail, but one that stands out to me for some reason...all that week, leading up to that morning, I had lost my wedding ring, and I had inexplicably found it in the dress-pants I had ironed for work that day. I had looked for that thing absolutely everywhere I could think of, with no luck. I was so thrilled since it was a family heirloom, and so I went off to work so happy with myself and relieved that I had found my ring. Later that morning, about the time the second plane crashed, had just finished my morning Reading class with my students, and I had taken them up the hall for a restroom break when I walked by a classroom where they had the news on, and one of the other teachers told me what was happening, and that was soon after the second plane had hit. It felt like the end of the world was happening. I was in a state of complete disbelief and horror. We went into lockdown for the rest of the day, and when we all got home that evening we were glued to the tv, soaking up anything and everything we could about what had happened. All of the images and reports...they were all so very surreal and so difficult to fully grasp and process.

This morning I was out of town with my wife's family, and my sister-in-law was watching the ceremony at Ground Zero. It was a somber feeling, hearing the reading of all those names and seeing the grieving faces. And when they had the moment of silence for the second plane hitting the second tower, and they rang that bell to commemorate the exact moment it happened...I just lost it. The sadness was simply overwhelming. Ten years later, and it still gets to me. I don't know that the shock and sense of powerlessness will ever go away. It's just so hard to get a real handle on the enormous loss of innocent life and the grief this event has caused and continues to cause. I try to focus on the fact that if any good can come out of something like this, it would have to be the hope and trust that we're safer in this country than we've ever been.

I had been in the Army for little over a year at the time. I had just come home from doing PT that morning when my wife told me a plane hit one of the towers. I turned on the news and almost instantly, the second one hit. I knew that was no accident. It was only a few minutes after that when I got a call telling me to get into work as soon as possible. I got cleaned up and before I left, the other two plane crashes happened. I headed into work, but the lines leading on post were backed up for miles. Before then, they used to just wave you on post if you had the right sticker on your windsheild, but now they were checking everyone's ID cards and it was ridiculous trying to get on. Usually it only took me 15 minutes from my front door to my office, but that day it took me over 2 hours. I remember we were all nervous, and we began hearing rumors about us deploying in a matter of days. Those rumors didn't pan out, but we were on a plane less than 6 months later on our way to Afghanistan. If you could have seen the fear in those kids eyes, it's something you'll never forget. People that sign up for the Army now know they're probably going to end up deployed. Back then, the worst we thought would happen is we would go the field for 30 days or so. This was a real eye opener, and changed a lot of people in many different ways. The patriotism that followed in those months is greatly missed today. I doubt we would have rappers talking bad about our soldiers that are over here ten years ago. But the times, they are a changing.

I was living in Alaska at the time, getting ready for work it was like 6 or 5 am. I used to listen to Howard Stern back when he was on fm radio out of New York. His tone was very serious and quiet. I thought it was gag but no, they had Artie calling in over the phone doing a live report on the top of his building. My brother & his fiance had just moved there (previously my bro asked me to come and live w/them but I wanted to stay up north) and they worked downtown, so I called and called but the lines were jammed. My moms called me and was worried about them. I guess they had gotten stuck on the morning commute on one of the bridges into Manhattan. My Bro said traffic stopped and people got out of their cars & were watching the horror and confusion, they were crying praying and screaming. They both had nightmares about it for along time. It doesn't compare to the loss of so many lives, the citizens of that city have to live with the scars and rebuilding. That's why were all here to remember and never forgot our lost brothers an sisters, we love laugh cry and pray for so many who aren't coming home & those whose hearts are still waiting, we hold the light in the storm for them.....we are blessed to see the sunrise and set each day.

I used to listen to Howard but at the time I had just moved down here from Connecticut to florida only three weeks earlier.That area i'm familiar with since It we did get the NY news all the time.Too me It felt like home was being attacked and my friends and famikly who were still there in that area ...Lets say that I felt useless I couldn't get in touch with them and hated being down here..still do :(

i was at work. back then i worked at a toystore. we had no tv or radio so we didnt got the news as it happend. i served a client and he had some drinks and he talked weird stuff about the usa being attacked. my coworker and i looked at each other and thought what people come up now a days. we had a good laugh out of it because we thought that the guy was so drunk lol. when we closed the doors that day, i went home at foot and it was realy quite everywher on the streets. it was weird. when i passed an electronic shop i saw what happend and i was in schock. how could this happen?? i didnt understood it. why?? i called my coworker and i told him whats going on. it was a sad day. even do i am from far away, it hit me big. i was never in the states but i plan to come one day to visit the country where all my comics are coming from :-) by the way, nice video wheeljack.