Movie Critics. Are They the "Original Trolls"?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

Is it just me or are all movie critics either worn out watching movies, or simply in someone else's back pocket?

A decent movie comes along and the FIRST thing most people do is look at the "Ratings", ...ratings that some overly bored movie critic HAS to rate, whether they like it or not. The movie may be to your liking, but people are short on cash these days. Their quick answer is to look at Movie Reviews. If the "Experts" say the movie is bad, then box office sales drop in a heartbeat. Why do people listen to them? Because they may have been right 10% of the time? Like I said, people are short on cash and going to the theater these days cost an arm and a leg. Sad. :(

My question to everyone is - Has there been a movie that you liked that got bad ratings? Are you mad that there may not be a sequel because of these ratings?

The movie I liked recently was Conan: The Barbarian. I have read most of the original Robert E. Howard stories about Conan and I was very happy with the movie. Many people however want to compare it to the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. That was a great movie. Infact it is one of the best classic movies of all time, but it was just a good barbarian movie. Arnold was NOT what Conan really is.

The new movie did a great job with the casting and showing the world who Conan really was. Conan is sharp and witty. He is more like a tiger that a muscle bound ox. He is fast, powerful, cunning and merciless. He is a leader among men, not some loner brute that is easily fooled. He is an adventurer, a warrior, and a hero. Not having Mr. Universe size muscles does not make him less powerful, or less convincing. I thought Jason Momoa was a better Conan, not necessarily a better barbarian. ;)

That's just my opinion. What do you think?

Are movie critics the worst kind of troll, or are they what dictates what you spend your money on?

well I know Superpowers is gonna come to this and say Green Lantern anyway there are a few I'm going to list with a reason why I like them

Aliens Vs Predator I know it wasn'tas good as Aliens or Predator but in my opinion it was well worth the money to watch

Starship troopers Marauder wasn't as good as the first film but was better than the second and it featured Powered armor as well as Casper Van Dien returning as John Rico.

Heavy Metal 2000: alot of fans of the original have been pissing on this one for years but if they would watch it as a stand alone film instead of constantly comparing it to the original they most likely would have enjoyed it more.

Soldier with Kurt Russell: this has to be one of my all time favourite movies however the Critics panned it and it flopped because of that the main reason the critics panned it was because Kurt's character Sgt Todd barely spoke yet when I watched it he showed alot more emotion in his facial expressions than most actors can now even with speaking and the reason he barely spoke is he was taught from childhood a soldier does not speak unless spoken to by a superior officer.

Universal Soldier the return: another film ptorn apart by negativity there are a few things I didn't like about the film such as Jean Claude's one liners but over all it was an enjoyable movie really cool soundtrack, alot of action, solid story and decent special effects.

Alien Ressurection: considered the worst of the alien movies by fans and critics alike I myself enjoyed it more than the third one I mean sure is wasn't a horror film like the last three but it had some interesting characters an original plot unlike the third one which was basically a rehash of the first film but on a prison planet instead of a starship drifting through space.

I'll say it for Superpowers. I thought Green Lantern was a good popcorn flick. From the critics came the rating of dismal, but I find it hard to see. Not good..ok I could see that, but dismal, really?

There's a trilogy of movies that defy all of these arguments called Transformers. I'm sure you've heard of it. All three movies were panned by critics (especially the last two) and yet user reviews are very favorable and they went on to be some of the highest grossing films, worldwide. I loved all three, though I've been made to feel dumb for thinking that, based on critics and some fellow board members. So I like CGI, explosions, and fart jokes. Just like with Green Lantern, sometimes I don't need my movies to take themselves so seriously so I can escape.

I'll say it for Superpowers. I thought Green Lantern was a good popcorn flick. From the critics came the rating of dismal, but I find it hard to see. Not good..ok I could see that, but dismal, really?

There's a trilogy of movies that defy all of these arguments called Transformers. I'm sure you've heard of it. All three movies were panned by critics (especially the last two) and yet user reviews are very favorable and they went on to be some of the highest grossing films, worldwide. I loved all three, though I've been made to feel dumb for thinking that, based on critics and some fellow board members. So I like CGI, explosions, and fart jokes. Just like with Green Lantern, sometimes I don't need my movies to take themselves so seriously so I can escape.

yeah Green Lantern and Transformers are good movies if you've got nothing better to do which was my reason for seeing both Green Lantern and Transformers Dark of the moon

My question to everyone is - Has there been a movie that you liked that got bad ratings? Are you mad that there may not be a sequel because of these ratings?

Two recent movies come to mind.

The first is The Book of Eli. I loved this movie, and it's religion-heavy storyline, yet a lot of critics blasted it because of it's religious overtones.

The second is Sucker Punch. This movie was REALLY ripped apart by critics, but I thought it was brilliant. Actually, the more I watch it, the more I like it, and it's probably in my top five favorite movies ever. It has a 23% approval rating by the critics on rottentomatoes. :(

lots, I usually stick to my friends for movies, mainly cause of 2 things.

1st. They know me and know more or less what I like.

2nd. I know them and know what they like.

Here is my list, Green lantern, Transformers 2 and 3, AVP requiem, New Hulk, Thor, sucker punch, Scott pilgram, and Kick Ass just to name a few.

To me if a movie has me entertained, by action, laughing, crazy gore or great dialogue than I can over look some fan boy discrepancy, and some small plot holes.

Here are 3 movies that I thought were total caca and critics, pseudo intellectuals, teenagers trying to be older, and post adolescence college students that thought they were being smart loved and raved over.

#1 "Hard ware", some douche on G4 called it a masterpiece that gave birth to Terminator, and Robocop, it was a big pile more like a missed abortion , I was so pissed that I took that guys word and wasted my money and the Blue ray.

#2 "no country for old men" I put my visiting friend from Georgia and my wife to sleep. Boring , the dialogue was slow and uninspiring. Some kid told in my college class told me that I didn't like it because my brain was washed with action flicks and that this a "Bogart" type film , I told him I like Bogart and this was no Casablanca or Maltese falcon.

3# Halloween 2 (new) It's like the only way they could get Rob Zombie back to direct this film was to let him go nuts and he took a dumb on this, it does not even resemble the first one he did which I loved. You can tell that the move heads keep him at bay with the first film ( just look at the deleted scenes from the first).

Sorry if some of you liked these films but to be fair I thought Jennifer's body wasn't that bad @smilepunch@

Here is my list, Green lantern, Transformers 2 and 3, AVP requiem, New Hulk, Thor, sucker punch, Scott pilgram, and Kick Ass just to name a few.

Kickass and Scott Pilgrim actually both got really good reviews and were pretty universally praised by critics.

Hulk and Thor both did decent with the critics too.

Kickass and Scott Pilgrim actually both got really good reviews and were pretty universally praised by critics.

Hulk and Thor both did decent with the critics too.

I must just seen the bad reviews, good to know.

Is it just me or are all movie critics either worn out watching movies, or simply in someone else's back pocket?

A decent movie comes along and the FIRST thing most people do is look at the "Ratings", ...ratings that some overly bored movie critic HAS to rate, whether they like it or not. The movie may be to your liking, but people are short on cash these days. Their quick answer is to look at Movie Reviews. If the "Experts" say the movie is bad, then box office sales drop in a heartbeat. Why do people listen to them? Because they may have been right 10% of the time? Like I said, people are short on cash and going to the theater these days cost an arm and a leg. Sad. :(

The movie I liked recently was Conan: The Barbarian. I have read most of the original Robert E. Howard stories about Conan and I was very happy with the movie. Many people however want to compare it to the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. That was a great movie. Infact it is one of the best classic movies of all time, but it was just a good barbarian movie. Arnold was NOT what Conan really is.

The new movie did a great job with the casting and showing the world who Conan really was. Conan is sharp and witty. He is more like a tiger that a muscle bound ox. He is fast, powerful, cunning and merciless. He is a leader among men, not some loner brute that is easily fooled. He is an adventurer, a warrior, and a hero. Not having Mr. Universe size muscles does not make him less powerful, or less convincing. I thought Jason Momoa was a better Conan, not necessarily a better barbarian. ;)

That's just my opinion. What do you think?

Are movie critics the worst kind of troll, or are they what dictates what you spend your money on?

I read all the Howard stories and have a nice collection of CONAN comic books. I htought the Schwarzenegger movie was a joke and it didn't help that it was at the time when I was getting into bodybuilding and reading up on what a major jackass Arnold was, and how they gave him the 1980 Olympia trophy just to help promote his upcoming Conan movie. I've since gotten over all that and actually like his later movies a lot better, but still think of this version of Conana as being something subpar to the old comics and books. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this new Conan movie, as it looks more in line with what I thought the 1st one should have been like?

#2 "no country for old men" I put my visiting friend from Georgia and my wife to sleep. Boring , the dialogue was slow and uninspiring. Some kid told in my college class told me that I didn't like it because my brain was washed with action flicks and that this a "Bogart" type film , I told him I like Bogart and this was no Casablanca or Maltese falcon.

I was all into this flick and thought it was going along very nicely and had me hooked, when suddenly it was like they cut out about 20 mins worth of film, jumped ahead past critical key elements in the drama, killed off (without a visual) one of the main characters and changed plots smack dab in the last moments of the movie and ended it in a rush and without any REAL finality other than a longass cerebral conversation over breakfast by Tommy Lee Jones and his retirement woes? #WTF#

P!ssed me off so damn much I felt like doing a drive-by at Blockbuster and just throwing the DVD at the front door as I zoomed by. @haha@ Movie sucked!

Critic and/or fanboy reviews rarely, if ever, influence my decision to see a film. Things are so very subjective these days, and opinions are so extremely varied it seems, which makes things interesting I suppose...

I loved Superman Returns. I loved the casting, the effects, and I loved how heavy it was on the nostalgia of the original films. I was so hoping to see sequels made, but unfortunately Warner Bros. saw things differently. I'm looking forward to the new film, but I wouldn't have minded if they had kept the cast and crew from the first one. I thought at the time it was a huge hit and everyone loved it. In a matter of a few months on up to a year afterwards, it seems public opinion had changed inexplicably, which seems to be a common phenomenon these days for some reason.

Serenity is another film I would have liked to have seen a sequel to. I just loved the series Firefly, and if it were going to be permanently cancelled, it would have been nice to at least have a nice little film trilogy to console ourselves with. (lol) But I don't know if critics were to blame for killing the film series or underwhelming box-office numbers. Every review I ever read was very positive. So unfortunate...

Oh, and speaking of Superman Returns, have you guys seen the deleted scene from the upcoming Blu-ray set that actually shows Superman on his trip to the remnants of Krypton? Oh, it is so very cool!! That was one of the things that I found so intriguing about the plot of the movie, and we never got to see it. I was so pleasantly suprised to find out that they actually shot footage for it. I'm sorry I don't have a link, and I don't remember where I saw it, but it is very cool.

Hmm...that's almost it. It does have some of the elements. The clip I saw though was the final completed sequence. That one looks pieced together from some rough shots and concept illustrations. The one I saw was seamless from start to finish and looked like it came right out of the movie. But thanks for the link anyway VH. I appreciate it bud!

I like to go see a movie for myself to actually judge it. However, I do sometimes take Rotten Tomatoes and their rankings into account. If a movie has both low critic and audience rating then you might want to skip it entirely.

A lot of movies these days are pretty craptastic so I haven't been to theaters in a while. Hell Superhero movies are probably the only decent ones coming out. Comedy is just as dead as horror IMO. Seriously why are Russel Brand and Adam Sandler still in movies? soupson.gif

Comedy is just as dead as horror IMO.

I have to disagree with the comedy part. I've seen some pretty good comedies in the theater just recently...Hall Pass, Horrible Bosses and Crazy, Stupid, Love were all funny movies, IMO.

I was actually really surprised by how smart Crazy, Stupid, Love was. It was lighthearted and funny, and did a good job of throwing in twists to the plot to keep you interested, and still managed to be a tear-jerker all at the same time. Probably one of the better non-action films I've seen in awhile.