Save DCUC

MatchesxMalone

The trouble here started because Matty rushed their sub outthere before they worked the bugs out. They realized that, but instead of trying to fix the thing on the fly, they let it stand as is and did their best to generate a "hate the sub, hate the line" atmosphere. Basically you had people signing up for the line itself, not a terminally misconcieved subsciption.

The people just wouldn't have it.

And with that well-spoken nugget of truth, this thread can close...and DCUC can rest in peace...

I dont think its over until its over. As soon as Matty issues a statement we can either start talking about whats to come or lament on what could have been. If its truly over for DCUC then thats a bummer, but hell we did get 20 waves of figures and some nice multipacks (including the must have for me Legion set).

maybe they will have enough people who sighed up that they can make enough toys just for the subs, that would be cool. People that wanted the subs gets the sub while does who didn't don't , and those who feel they should of will turn to ebay. lol

maybe they will have enough people who sighed up that they can make enough toys just for the subs, that would be cool. People that wanted the subs gets the sub while does who didn't don't , and those who feel they should of will turn to ebay. lol

A company that caters towards fans before profit?... Its not happening... LOL

A company that caters towards fans before profit?... Its not happening... LOL

selections from the Matty facebook page...

Evan Laundrie "The future Matty Update - Great news friends! We were able to convince DC to move forward with the sub even at 60%! After all, it's not like it was all a ruse and we were going to move forward with it anyway. Why else would we need to wait until the end of the week to make an announcement? To convince DC Entertainment perhaps?"

Kevin Frost Come on Matty! Why does DC sub have to be a specific amount? None of the others have EVER been a minimum requirement! I do not appreciate it. I did get my sub but have to say it is slightly distasteful and hope you will simply do the sub just like the others.

Bradley Turbyville I haven't said very much about the DC sub at all but here is my opinion. I don't think their "meter" ever needed to get to 100%. I think the roughly 60% it ended at will be enough. If you had a yard sale and you were willing to sell something for $3, wouldn't you mark it as $5 anyway to see if you could get that. And if not you would "lower" your price to $3. The buyer thinks they bargained you down when in fact you got what you wanted the whole time. I think the same thing applies in this situation.

For them and those alike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4iwzS4Na0

Keep playing that while you search ebay for a DC Direct Jay Garrick to stand-in your DCUC collection.

:P

Mattel should just do the reverse of what they've been doing previously: put one "collectors" figure in each wave of "all star" figures. Sure, it would cut the number of "collectors" figures by a third, but at least they'd have a chance of seeing retail. i have no real knowledge about toy production, but it sounds good to me.

Bradley Turbyville I haven't said very much about the DC sub at all but here is my opinion. I don't think their "meter" ever needed to get to 100%. I think the roughly 60% it ended at will be enough. If you had a yard sale and you were willing to sell something for $3, wouldn't you mark it as $5 anyway to see if you could get that. And if not you would "lower" your price to $3. The buyer thinks they bargained you down when in fact you got what you wanted the whole time. I think the same thing applies in this situation.

I wonder what would happen if I only paid 60% of my electric bi...

You could try complaining to your local paper and pull the heartstrings of some sap in the community to get squared away with the utility company...

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110824/NEWS01/108240367/Strangers-pay-utility-bill-amputee?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

If only we could get that tactic to apply to getting us subscriptions...maybe we have to lose some limbs to toy collecting at our own faults?

Straight from Toyguru on the Matty forum:

"The final tally was around 60-62% (I'll need to ask the DC team for an exact number). We are literally reviewing the numbers to see if their is anyway to go forward now that we are under 100%. It may take another week or so before we will know an answer. Fans have been so passionate, but in the end it comes down to whether their are enough of them to move forward with this program!"

http://forums.mattyc...75/m/1151033117

wow...sounds like the whole thermometer thing is gonna turn out to be a sham all along. That's not shady business...

@hmmm@

Well Like I've been saying I think the Sub will absolutely go through. I can't see them returning all the money garunteed pledged. I'm sure mattel's bottom line was 45-50% and were hoping for 75%. I don't think they expected to get 60-62, and will probably deliver every figure they already tooled/promoted... but i think that leaves a bunch of open slots of unknown figures and mattel is going to keep their profit margins... so you can look forward to kitbashed figures for the remainder...Look out its ZEBRA BATMAN !

The CHAMP HAS SPOKEN!

Now Zebra Batman and Composite Superman/Batman are two figures I DO NOT WANT...........also Superman red and Superman blue....or any of those crazy Superman's from the 50's, Lion Head, Ant Head..........everything else should be a go though........let this be a way to build Lois, Jimmy, Perry too.

They'd use Zebra Batman in the new line as an ultra rare variant to keep the collector's in.

Zebra Batman 2012 SDDC exclusive...with Mr. Mxyzptlk only at the con to further Gleek us over.

Now Zebra Batman and Composite Superman/Batman are two figures I DO NOT WANT

Crazy talk...Composite Superman is the #$##!

They'd use Zebra Batman in the new line as an ultra rare variant to keep the collector's in.

Zebra Batman 2012 SDDC exclusive...with Mr. Mxyzptlk only at the con to further Gleek us over.

Now Zebra Batman and Composite Superman/Batman are two figures I DO NOT WANT

Crazy talk...Composite Superman is the #$##!

If this sub goes through and we have to vote, please don't for Composite Supes, go get the DC Direct version.

let this be a way to build Lois, Jimmy, Perry too.

Yeah that's weird, a cnc Lois...we all know that someone's gonna be left saying "what am i going to do with a lois leg?"

Yup. I meant BAF Lois.............ummm, how about NO. Building the figures period, no where did I mention a BAF. Another excuse for horrid sarcasm.

From The ask Matty forum:

Toyguru

Collector Supreme

Posted August 24, 2011 11:32 AM

If the DC sub goes through it will be at the advertised price.

However, we are exploring the possibilty of higher prices for non sub holders who buy product day of (i.e. cherry pickers). This is similar to how magazines cost more at a news stand vs. having a subscription. This is only one of many options we are exploring based on the subscription numbers we got 60%-62% (less then the needed 100%) and is not at all the direction we are for sure going in. Right now we are just exploring many options to see if anything is possible to keep the sub alive based on the lower then expected sub interest.

But for those who bought a sub, if the sub goes forward you are locked in to the advertised prices even if maybe possibly day of prices goes up slightly (1 or 2 dollars).

If the sub is canceled, yes of course full refunds will be given for any charges!

If I do cherry pick however I'll be real selective about which ones I stick in my basket.

Oh, and for what its worth, I consider myself a Selective Consumer. Much classier than cherry picker.

Selective consumer is good....or Mattel could have just said "raise the price a few bucks on day-of sales" and not push nerd elitism.

from Matty's facebook page

Benjamin Burnaugh "I do think that there should be a bit of a bigger reward for the blind faith dcuc subscribers. More than 1or 2 dollars anyways."

Up yours, Ben and all those alike.

• Like 2

I didn't subscribe because Mattel never convinced me to. You see, two can play the blame game Mattel.

The retail line was constantly plagued by quality control issues and it was overpriced WITH collect and connect pieces. With those issues in mind, why would I commit to pay around $25 (with shipping) each month for figures that I'm not even sure I would want?

Furthermore, the whole DC relaunch has had me not wanting to support any DC products. I was already pissed that they shut down Wildstorm, and now they've done this crap. And to add insult to injury, they rebooted my favorite books and intermingled characters into their new universe, likely negating all of the history those books had established. It's like I wasted all my money. None of what I know matters anymore, and none of that talented writers like Christos Gage, Ed Brubaker, Alan Moore, Mark Miller, and Chuck Dixon did for Wildstorm's characters matter either.

• Like 1

I dont support getting rid of DC's history and reinventing basically the same stories... I still dont understand Crisis from 1986 eventhough i started collecting in 1991. It seems like they're making an "all star" continuity feel but getting rid of the regular one. I remember being furious when Marvel ended the original Fantastic Four, Avengers, Cap, Spiderman ect. series before hero reborn. I bought heroes reborn but when they started back at number 1's again I stopped reading Marvel. DC wasn't putting out anything I liked for a couple of years so I dropped them too and just bought back issues. When GI Joe came back, I picked it up because of the continuity but when ddp lost the rights and they rebooted that I stopped reading.

I don't mind DC bringing in Wildstorm into the same universe as other DC characters. They did the same for Capt Marvel and the fawcett characters. In the 80's Marvel and DC would sometimes make references to each other in the comic books..there are a couple things like clark kent cameo and such. I guess that's why cross company comics were so cool but hated that they usually existed outside continuity.

I still don't understand why people are so upset at the New DCU line, I regard it as an "ultimates" type of thing, Toybiz has incorporated Ultimates and even heroes reborn figures in the Marvel Legends line alongside classic figures. I think Mattel is looking to do the same thing.