Save DCUC

MatchesxMalone

I dunno...im still on the fence...do I have the money? not really, but who doesnt have credit card debt? Do I like the characters/blind faith selection? Poison Ivy and the Flash are the only draw for me.

So, yeah...I might subscribe, might not. It'll got down to the last day with me.

I feel like I am a big fan of DC and this toy line: fighting scalpers, bad distribution, and bad pack-outs way back to aisle hunting for DCSH.

But overall its just one big "MEH" for this whole situation.

That's interesting. But the only figure that they've shown that I've been interested in is the Golden Age Flash. I may be interested in the Poison Ivy (depending on how she looks) but there's a lot of risk in buying the figures that I don't want. Would I be able to sell them right away or would I have to sit on them for a while?

I have nothing against the subscription idea... I already bought the Voltron one. And I've bought bad DCUC characters before to complete a CnC. But those figures had some value to me for the CnC part so if I was not able to sell them, it wasn't a total loss.

Cool website by the way. But I don't know if it will really get people who are on the fence to buy a subscription.

I think that people that like the current DCUC line for it being a strong collector line for being at retail will like the sub line even more because it will now be totally a collector line with only stuff we want and in way more ways with way more potenial. And in relation to people who where ok with buying a whole wave, even if they didnt really want every figure, just to get the C&C. The sub can kind of be taken the same way. You may not want every figure but buying a whole sub secures its future giving it more chances to produce others ones you may want and get all the other figures the line offers. And having had a MOTUC sub myself i have to say its waaaaaayyyyyy easier to just get the sub and have it all taken care of instead of messing with the over load of people that wait and buy on sale and risk not getting one because it sold out and then have to buy it elsewhere like ebay for twice as much. Which you could have been on the other end of if you had a sub and just sold the figures you didnt want on ebay and maybe even make some money off them, maybe even to a point where if you only wanted half the figures and sold the other half at a mark up(even though i wouldnt, id feel too bad) you could end up making enough money that the sub paid for itself.

If you collect DCUC still, get the sub. I'm not a big fan of blindly committing to figures, but I did the MOTUC sub last year, and it was pretty nice because it was just the monthly figures and no extras. The less stuff, the better. And this DCUC sub is not a lot.

That said, I'm not getting this. I was all about DCUC for the first few waves. I had some DC Superheroes stuff, and I tracked down some more of it after I saw DCUC. I bought all the figures in Waves 1, 2, and 3. But then the Mattel recall (which also killed the Movie Masters line) and their terrible distribution (which they never take any accountability for) completely ruined the line for me. I stopped collecting. Then the obscure character selection became another minus for me. I guess I'm not hardcore enough for Mattel.

It's a shame, cause it could have been the best toyline ever made. Now I'm surprised the line has lasted this long since you can't ever find it. If I want a Hasbro product, I can find it, whether it's Marvel Universe, GI Joe, or Star Wars. If I want a Mattel product, I have to be at the store the day they get their one case, cause otherwise I'll never see it.

I think that people that like the current DCUC line for it being a strong collector line for being at retail will like the sub line even more because it will now be totally a collector line with only stuff we want and in way more ways with way more potenial. And in relation to people who where ok with buying a whole wave, even if they didnt really want every figure, just to get the C&C. The sub can kind of be taken the same way. You may not want every figure but buying a whole sub secures its future giving it more chances to produce others ones you may want and get all the other figures the line offers. And having had a MOTUC sub myself i have to say its waaaaaayyyyyy easier to just get the sub and have it all taken care of instead of messing with the over load of people that wait and buy on sale and risk not getting one because it sold out and then have to buy it elsewhere like ebay for twice as much. Which you could have been on the other end of if you had a sub and just sold the figures you didnt want on ebay and maybe even make some money off them, maybe even to a point where if you only wanted half the figures and sold the other half at a mark up(even though i wouldnt, id feel too bad) you could end up making enough money that the sub paid for itself.

I suppose you can think of it the same as a CnC with the 3 larger scale figures. But have they announced what they are? Out of all of the waves that they're released, I have only built 4 and only want to build Bane. If they said "you will get a huge Doomsday", I'd buy the subscription without even seeing a prototype.

Out of the 5 total CnCs that have/will build... there were only 5 that I really didn't want. Not too bad. So far, there are 2 that I know that I don't want (3, I guess, since I don't like any of the fan-choice picks). And instead of a $90 investment for a CnC that I wanted, it's a $255 investment for only 2 figures that I know I want (plus $108 in shipping).

I agree with you that the subscription is WAY easier. Like I said... I bought the Voltron subscription because I didn't want to have to wait all day refreshing my browser so that I could get the lions on the release day. But I also know what EVERY figure is going to be in the line. It's just a matter of preference, I guess. A big Doomsday would be worth the money to me. A giant Staro... not so much. Just like MOTU, if they announce a Stinkor I'd be all over that like... stink on Stinkor.

The more and more I think about it, I'm getting mixed feelings. Half of me wants it to happen, half doesnt. I just cant wait til the 22nd. I'm dying to know if this will go through or not. But whatever the outcome is, I'm still going to wish it did/didnt happen.

The reasons why I'm not doing the Sub is. 1. Running out of room to put them at and 2. From the list of characters they are showing right now there is only one I want and that is the Red Lantern the others don't care for. 3. Don't have the money for the Sub. So these are the reason why I'm not going to do the SUB. Sorry guys.

I don't think the sub is anything like the BAF concept at all. With the BAF concept, you wind up with a large, cool looking figure, usually with all new unique sculpting, just for purchasing every figure in the assortment. You didn't even always have to buy *every* figure in the assortment; they'd let you pass on the Super Powers character and figures that would be reissued as All Stars later on. With the sub, you're forced to purchase figures you might not want, and you don't get a large, never would have been available at retail price figure for free... you have to pay additional fees for them.

I kind of agree with your statement about the potential being there to resell the figures that one might not want. But that's an inconvenience, and the whole point of a subscription is convenience.

• Like 3

Arguments are good on both sides but people really need to stop blaming Mattel. First off, DC Comics came in and wanted Mattel to stop making classic figure designs and they wanted the change ASAP which forced Mattel to scramble to offer the new line and this sub line. For what its worth, it at least wasn't Mattel's fault. DC comics wants to force their stupid changes down the throats of everyone and as such we have the end of DCUC and the CNC. I am just wondering if they have enough NEW designs for ALL of their characters to sustain the line, seriously how many NEW designs and new characters are there to warrant the change?

As for never finding them on the shelf, that is the difference and the annoyance. The line is actually very popular and that is why it is hard to find these items on the shelf, they don't last long at all. Unlike Joes, Marvel and Star Wars, they clog the shelves and don't sell out most often. You can walk into any store today and find a ton of Joes and Ironman figs on the shelf but you find pieces of DC stuff, 1. blame the retailer for not ordering more, 2. the fact that you find pieces means that people are buying them up like crazy. Hasblow products generate a ton of money but they are far from the success stories they are billed as just because you can find them, that means the peg warm.

"True Fans" SAVE DCUC... Please, PLEASE PLEASE. PLEDGE YOUR MONEY TO MATTEL, GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY ASK FOR.

FOR G-D SAKE DON'T LET THEM.... oh wait, they're still going to make DC figures, they're still going to be 6", and they'll be available at stores, oh ok...nevermind.

Breaking News: And now for your first exclusive release from the DCUC Sub.... Brother Power, the Geek!

Followed by Vibe, Ambush Bug, Gangbuster, the Prankster, Dr. Spectro and the original Red Tornado. The oversized figures will be Comet, the Superhorse, and Congorilla.

Now that oughtta get the "True Fans" all hot to pledge a small bankroll to Mattel.

The CHamp has SPOKEN!

• Like 3

Arguments are good on both sides but people really need to stop blaming Mattel. First off, DC Comics came in and wanted Mattel to stop making classic figure designs and they wanted the change ASAP which forced Mattel to scramble to offer the new line and this sub line. For what its worth, it at least wasn't Mattel's fault. DC comics wants to force their stupid changes down the throats of everyone and as such we have the end of DCUC and the CNC. I am just wondering if they have enough NEW designs for ALL of their characters to sustain the line, seriously how many NEW designs and new characters are there to warrant the change?

As for never finding them on the shelf, that is the difference and the annoyance. The line is actually very popular and that is why it is hard to find these items on the shelf, they don't last long at all. Unlike Joes, Marvel and Star Wars, they clog the shelves and don't sell out most often. You can walk into any store today and find a ton of Joes and Ironman figs on the shelf but you find pieces of DC stuff, 1. blame the retailer for not ordering more, 2. the fact that you find pieces means that people are buying them up like crazy. Hasblow products generate a ton of money but they are far from the success stories they are billed as just because you can find them, that means the peg warm.

I really do hope that the subscription plan is successful. I'd love to have complete teams of classic Silver Age versions of the Metal Men and Doom Patrol, and even though it's not guaranteed that they will be finished I guess that's the only possibility, now. And then there's other stuff that is still needed for things to feel "complete", like a Superfriends style Bizarro and Scarecrow. I'd even love to have a true proper Super Powers sculpt of Mr. Freeze. And The Penguin. I would've loved to see the Horsemen tackle something like Quadrex. Then there's favorites I'd like to see, such as a modern Rogue's Gallery Heat Wave, Phantom Stranger, Woozy Winks (Hey XD! If it's a sub only line, it's possible we could see characters like him or Granny Goodness), Elseworlds figures like Kingdom Come Red Robin, or Red Rain Batman, maybe a Max Fleisher Superman... that's probably more than a year's worth of subscription slots right there XD.

If I could afford to buy in to it to help the chances of those figures being made, I would. There's things I do like about what they're trying to do, and there's things I don't like about what they're trying to do, but if they would leave the window of opportunity to subscribe open for a while, maybe a few more months, I'd try to make it happen (one subscription only). I've said before that I didn't really care if the series ended, but I've gotten every figure since DCSH except for a few hard to finds like Cassandra Cain Batgirl and Lightray and a variant or two that I never saw at retail and didn't care to spend extra on the aftermarket for like the gold costume Captain Atom, and I'd like to see everyone get the figures and teams left that they want. But, I probably wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't been able to catch some good internet sales and find some on clearance like back when Big Lots was getting DCSH. I know there must be people out there who will purchase dozens of subs because they can afford to financially support the making of the figures, and I'm sure they will offer them on ebay at only a slight markup, just like many collectors/participants do with MOTUC. At least, I kind of hope there are some people who can and will do that for Club Infinite Earths.

But, Super, *please" ask your local stores to ship all of that GI Joe PoC, Star Wars vintage and newer waves of Marvel Universe that isn't selling to my state, because I can't hardly find anything I want at retail anymore XD.

One other thing about people finding only partial waves of DCUC lately... that's at least in part because of the "convention" assortments they've been shipping to big retailers like Walmart. I only saw *some* of Wave 18 (five quantity of Samurai in that box?!? WTF!?), and since they'll probably never restock, and because I only really wanted the Toyman from that group, I left the rest to rot.

"True Fans" SAVE DCUC... Please, PLEASE PLEASE. PLEDGE YOUR MONEY TO MATTEL, GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY ASK FOR.

FOR G-D SAKE DON'T LET THEM.... oh wait, they're still going to make DC figures, they're still going to be 6", and they'll be available at stores, oh ok...nevermind.

Breaking News: And now for your first exclusive release from the DCUC Sub.... Brother Power, the Geek!

Followed by Vibe, Ambush Bug, Gangbuster, the Prankster, Dr. Spectro and the original Red Tornado. The oversized figures will be Comet, the Superhorse, and Congorilla.

Now that oughtta get the "True Fans" all hot to pledge a small bankroll to Mattel.

The CHamp has SPOKEN!

I'd honestly love to see every one of those XD! Especially the original early 90s Gangbuster, Ma Hunkel and Ambush Bug :D.

I really do hope that the subscription plan is successful. I'd love to have complete teams of classic Silver Age versions of the Metal Men and Doom Patrol, and even though it's not guaranteed that they will be finished I guess that's the only possibility, now. And then there's other stuff that is still needed for things to feel "complete", like a Superfriends style Bizarro and Scarecrow. I'd even love to have a true proper Super Powers sculpt of Mr. Freeze. And The Penguin. I would've loved to see the Horsemen tackle something like Quadrex. Then there's favorites I'd like to see, such as a modern Rogue's Gallery Heat Wave, Phantom Stranger, Woozy Winks (Hey XD! If it's a sub only line, it's possible we could see characters like him or Granny Goodness), Elseworlds figures like Kingdom Come Red Robin, or Red Rain Batman, maybe a Max Fleisher Superman... that's probably more than a year's worth of subscription slots right there XD.

If I could afford to buy in to it to help the chances of those figures being made, I would. There's things I do like about what they're trying to do, and there's things I don't like about what they're trying to do, but if they would leave the window of opportunity to subscribe open for a while, maybe a few more months, I'd try to make it happen (one subscription only). I've said before that I didn't really care if the series ended, but I've gotten every figure since DCSH except for a few hard to finds like Cassandra Cain Batgirl and Lightray and a variant or two that I never saw at retail and didn't care to spend extra on the aftermarket for like the gold costume Captain Atom, and I'd like to see everyone get the figures and teams left that they want. But, I probably wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't been able to catch some good internet sales and find some on clearance like back when Big Lots was getting DCSH. I know there must be people out there who will purchase dozens of subs because they can afford to financially support the making of the figures, and I'm sure they will offer them on ebay at only a slight markup, just like many collectors/participants do with MOTUC. At least, I kind of hope there are some people who can and will do that for Club Infinite Earths.

But, Super, *please" ask your local stores to ship all of that GI Joe PoC, Star Wars vintage and newer waves of Marvel Universe that isn't selling to my state, because I can't hardly find anything I want at retail anymore XD.

All the figures you mention are ones that I want as well, especially that Bizarro. Also the ones by Flounderr I would want also.

Am I going to be able to cherry-pick? If not, I could honestly drop this line. I just don't have any incentive to buy every figure.

You know what would make me subscribe? The same thing that got me to subscribe to Ghostbusters: Every figure I don't want has to come with a ghost.

I don't think the sub is anything like the BAF concept at all. With the BAF concept, you wind up with a large, cool looking figure, usually with all new unique sculpting, just for purchasing every figure in the assortment. You didn't even always have to buy *every* figure in the assortment; they'd let you pass on the Super Powers character and figures that would be reissued as All Stars later on. With the sub, you're forced to purchase figures you might not want, and you don't get a large, never would have been available at retail price figure for free... you have to pay additional fees for them.

I kind of agree with your statement about the potential being there to resell the figures that one might not want. But that's an inconvenience, and the whole point of a subscription is convenience.

I was more referring to the subs current situation in that there might not be enough support for it to go through so if you got one now when its starting just to help it take off then youd secure a chance of being able get even one of the figures you wanted from it and givng it a chance to continue. I think if this thing gets through this huge mess then theyll see how many sales theyll get from people just cherry picking on sale days and realize there is enough support for it to continue and even grow. Its just a very very rocky start that wasnt thought out very well. But i gotta say the more i think about it and more i read about it im not too sure how i feel. I mean i want all the toys for sure but i dont think Mattel is managing this very well at all. But i wouldnt really know what to do either if i was them and had a million collectors pissed off at me.