Devilbat

What is wrong with me??

I go through this type of thing too.

Sometimes I'm completely obsessed with my toy collection, and buying new toys. Other times, I'll look around my toy room, and wonder what good all of those little plastic figures are really doing me. There have even been times I've considered selling everything on ebay so I can use the money to buy something that will actually benefit me and get some use...and not just sit there on a shelf.

As far as interests in toy lines changing...that happens to me too. There are times where I'll be nuts about GI Joe, and other times I'll be completely uninterested in it, and be focusing on another toy line.

I really appreciate you guys sharing. It's a relief to know I'm not the only crazy person in this hobby. (lol) And falcon, good for you my friend!! I think it's great that you can enjoy your hobby with your grandkids. That's just wonderful.

Well...I made it to payday, and I went straight to Walmart after work, and most of the POC figures that were on clearance were still there. I didn't see Dusty anywhere, but the rest were still available. I grabbed a Wave 1 Duke, a Jungle Viper, Firefly, Recondo, and the Wave 3 Duke. It was so great because I wasn't obsessing over the package condition or anything like that. I just grabbed them all and threw them unceremoniously into the shopping cart like I did when I was a kid. Heck...I even bought the Predator Blu-ray to commemorate the occaision. (lol)

Wave 1 Duke: I already had a "Jungle" Duke, but I bought this one specifically to bring home and rip open. It may be my favorite Duke of all time. It's just such an original take on the character. I love his weapons and accessories. And I pulled his knife out of his sheathe and realized it reminded me of Rambo's home-made knife that he made in Rambo. The only thing I was concerned about is that his forearms and wrist joints seem a little fragile, and I could see them breaking easily. Otherwise this is an amazing figure.

Firefly: In the beginning, when this figure was released, I was not on board with the whole high-tech, sci-fi take on this figure. Firefly to me was always deeply rooted in his bare-bones, militaristic saboteur outfit and gear. But the more I studied this figure and read reviews, I really warmed-up to the concept behind it. I've thought, since most figures in the first wave were seemingly inspired by Predator, that Firefly's armor and gear were also inspired by the titular character, and I really love it. The only thing I had a problem with is that when I tried to put one of his gauntlets on, one of the tabs that hold it in place was bent inward when I put it on, and it whitened and almost broke. But later when I looked at it, it seemed fine. I'd hate to buy a whole new figure just for that one piece. The other thing that bugged me was those little binoculars rub up against his chin, and it's worse when you put his helmeted head on. But again it's a minor issue on an otherwise amazing figure.

Recondo: To me this figure is so cool and so iconic looking, that it seems almost too familiar, like I've seen it somewhere before. But I love the look of this figure. Great weapons and accesories, just awesome overall. I did notice that his head was stuck in a "staring-down-at-the-ground" position that I've read about in reviews, and his forearms and wrist joints seemed a little fragile like Duke's, but still a great figure.

Jungle Viper: This figure is just so wicked-looking I love it and I love the concept behind it. But it's not very practical and/or functional. It's a good thing these guys need to be stationary for long periods of time. (lol) Seriously, this is a figure you can pose on your shelf, but that's about it. I also loved the nod to the original Night Vipers in his colors.

Wave 3 Duke: Guys, I have to say that this figure is a mixed bag. I get the whole Aliens inspiration, and I love it, but the other junk he comes with is a big fail for me. But let me say that this is the most incredible sculpt I've seen for a Duke figure, let alone a G.I. Joe figure in general. It's the most natural-looking sculpt I've seen on a 3-3/4" figure. It's really amazing-looking. I was suprised at how amazing this sculpt is in-hand. But I hate hate hate those stupid rocket-launchers he comes with. They're very awkward, and those irritating little rockets are removeable, but they're barely in place with a tiny peg on the tip that fits into the launcher. They don't stay straight or stay in place half the time, falling out with very little effort. Bah! He does come with the pulse-rifle-esque gun, but it's got an ugly peg so it can be combined with yet another useless rocket-launcher-thingy he comes with. Since when did Duke become Fast Draw?? (lol) I'd really like to see a repaint of this sculpt. I could sooo see him in Tiger Force or Night Force colors. Despite the terrible weapons, this is a beautiful figure. But mine's legs were extremely loose at the hip right out of the package unfortunatley. And one more thing; I was looking at this figure next to my ROC R.H.I.N.O., and it looks like he should have come with it. The blue in his body armor matches the colors of the R.H.I.N.O. almost perfectly. Just a fun little tidbit I thought I'd throw in there...

So I guess I'm a little more caught up with POC. I'd still love to have Dusty, Snow Job, Zartan, Destro, and the rest I've missed. I did see that Wave 2 "Jungle Attack" (?) Snake Eyes, but I usually avoid action-feature-laden figures like the plague. But I love the character and wondered if any of you guys had any opinions about it, good or bad.

P.S. I really wanted these guys to be in scale with my NECA Predators, but sadly they're not...unless you want to imagine the Predators are much bigger than their on-screen counterparts. (lol) Seriously, my mind has been racing with story ideas about a G.I. Joe/Predator crossover. I so wish IDW or someone would do it.

Sometimes I'm completely obsessed with my toy collection, and buying new toys. Other times, I'll look around my toy room, and wonder what good all of those little plastic figures are really doing me. There have even been times I've considered selling everything on ebay so I can use the money to buy something that will actually benefit me and get some use...and not just sit there on a shelf.

As far as interests in toy lines changing...that happens to me too. There are times where I'll be nuts about GI Joe, and other times I'll be completely uninterested in it, and be focusing on another toy line.

You sound exactly like me, Joe, word for word. My interest usually revolve around, Star Wars, Transformers, and G.I. Joe alternately, with a figure or two from some other line sprinkled in here and there on occaision. Sometimes I'm like, "This is sooo cool!!" Then other times I'm like, "Why do I have all this CRAP?!" (lol)

You sound exactly like me, Joe, word for word. My interest usually revolve around, Star Wars, Transformers, and G.I. Joe alternately, with a figure or two from some other line sprinkled in here and there on occaision. Sometimes I'm like, "This is sooo cool!!" Then other times I'm like, "Why do I have all this CRAP?!" (lol)

Ya, there are days where I feel like my room full of toys is just really pointless in the grand scheme of things...like I've spent thousands of dollars on a bunch of plastic that just sits there and does nothing. I know a lot of people use their figures to make customs, or do dioramas, or even play with them, which gives their collection more of a purpose, I guess. I just buy them, pose them once or twice, and then they go on a shelf in my toy room, where they sit until I decide to rearrange my displays.

Sometimes I even feel guilty about the amount of money I've spent on a bunch of stuff that really serves no purpose in my life, aside from the warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling it gives me. I guess maybe that guilt comes from feeling like I'm being selfish, and hoarding a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

I don't mean to make it sound like I feel like this all the time, because most of the time I truly enjoy this hobby, but these thoughts do come into my mind on occasion.

The other thing that bothers me sometimes is how extremely mental I'll get over toys that I'm interested in. There are days where I will sit on my laptop for hours looking at pictures, reading articles, checking ebay, watching reviews, etc, for whatever toy line I'm obsessing over at the time. Almost to the point where it's unhealthy, because it's ALL I'll think about. @lol@

An old friend and I used to be pretty heavy recreational drinkers. We were talking about it at work one day years ago and he pointed out that the reason we liked drinking so much is because you always know what you're going to get out of it. You always know the price you have to pay to get what you want, and you always know the option is there. Even though I don't drink much these days, I think his sentiment is still true about any hobby. If you watch sports you know that no matter how badly your team does they'll always be back next season as long as you are, if you hunt you know that if you take care of your gun it'll be there when you need it most, and for those of us that collect action figures we know that anything we buy will always be around as long as we keep it around. That's always been a big draw for me. In certain professional fields like clinical psychology there's often a significant emphasis placed on professional ethics because clinicians often provide for their patients a certain kind of consistency in their lives that is otherwise missing and that can create a strong sense of attachment that can be easily abused. I think people are naturally inclined to form the same kind of relationships with their hobbies and that's why we question our commitment from time to time, and perhaps when it comes to companies like Mattel, why some get so angry when they feel that relationship is threatened in some way. I think in these modern times where divorce rates are so high and layoffs so common it's only natural to seek solace in something more stable, while at the same time questioning how far that should go. I think everybody needs to step back and take stock of their relationships on occasion, no matter how trivial some of them may be.

Ya, there are days where I feel like my room full of toys is just really pointless in the grand scheme of things...like I've spent thousands of dollars on a bunch of plastic that just sits there and does nothing. I know a lot of people use their figures to make customs, or do dioramas, or even play with them, which gives their collection more of a purpose, I guess. I just buy them, pose them once or twice, and then they go on a shelf in my toy room, where they sit until I decide to rearrange my displays.

Sometimes I even feel guilty about the amount of money I've spent on a bunch of stuff that really serves no purpose in my life, aside from the warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling it gives me. I guess maybe that guilt comes from feeling like I'm being selfish, and hoarding a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

I don't mean to make it sound like I feel like this all the time, because most of the time I truly enjoy this hobby, but these thoughts do come into my mind on occasion.

The other thing that bothers me sometimes is how extremely mental I'll get over toys that I'm interested in. There are days where I will sit on my laptop for hours looking at pictures, reading articles, checking ebay, watching reviews, etc, for whatever toy line I'm obsessing over at the time. Almost to the point where it's unhealthy, because it's ALL I'll think about. @lol@

I'm the same way man. For me, sometimes if I find something I've been obsessing about for a good price and in good quantity I have a tendency to buy multiples. I've got about a half dozen each of MOTU/DC two pack Skeletor, wave 3 POC Duke, and JLU Captain Atom simply because they're favorite figures of favorite characters that I found on sale or on clearance for a good price. In the back of my head I feel like the more copies I have of my favorite figures, the greater the odds that I'll still have a couple of copies of that figure a few decades down the road. Usually it's only when I find extra copies of figures stashed away somewhere that I forgot I even had that I start debating about the wastefulness of my habit, but since I only cherry pick from most lines I collect and I only buy multiples when they're relatively cheap it usually doesn't affect my habits any. I think any hobby tends to draw out people's eccentricities though.

Joe...I'm beginning to think we were separated at birth. (lol) You sound like me so much it's downright scary.

An old friend and I used to be pretty heavy recreational drinkers. We were talking about it at work one day years ago and he pointed out that the reason we liked drinking so much is because you always know what you're going to get out of it. You always know the price you have to pay to get what you want, and you always know the option is there. Even though I don't drink much these days, I think his sentiment is still true about any hobby. If you watch sports you know that no matter how badly your team does they'll always be back next season as long as you are, if you hunt you know that if you take care of your gun it'll be there when you need it most, and for those of us that collect action figures we know that anything we buy will always be around as long as we keep it around. That's always been a big draw for me. In certain professional fields like clinical psychology there's often a significant emphasis placed on professional ethics because clinicians often provide for their patients a certain kind of consistency in their lives that is otherwise missing and that can create a strong sense of attachment that can be easily abused. I think people are naturally inclined to form the same kind of relationships with their hobbies and that's why we question our commitment from time to time, and perhaps when it comes to companies like Mattel, why some get so angry when they feel that relationship is threatened in some way. I think in these modern times where divorce rates are so high and layoffs so common it's only natural to seek solace in something more stable, while at the same time questioning how far that should go. I think everybody needs to step back and take stock of their relationships on occasion, no matter how trivial some of them may be.

I'm the same way man. For me, sometimes if I find something I've been obsessing about for a good price and in good quantity I have a tendency to buy multiples. I've got about a half dozen each of MOTU/DC two pack Skeletor, wave 3 POC Duke, and JLU Captain Atom simply because they're favorite figures of favorite characters that I found on sale or on clearance for a good price. In the back of my head I feel like the more copies I have of my favorite figures, the greater the odds that I'll still have a couple of copies of that figure a few decades down the road. Usually it's only when I find extra copies of figures stashed away somewhere that I forgot I even had that I start debating about the wastefulness of my habit, but since I only cherry pick from most lines I collect and I only buy multiples when they're relatively cheap it usually doesn't affect my habits any. I think any hobby tends to draw out people's eccentricities though.

I think you're on to something there; the older one gets, the more things can change around them. I was always a sentimental person, and, not to sound too depressing, but...my dad has passed away, along with several aunts and uncles. My grandmother's house, where I practically grew up, is falling in on itself and should be condemned, and she has passed. My mom moved out of our childhood home and let my brother and his family move in. It's just that there's been so much change and upheaval in my personal life in recent years that I tend to cling to things that mean something to me more than ever. And some of those things are vintage toys and comics and what-not. They're comforting to me. They're one of the constants in my life, like you alluded to Winter Soldier, and they're reminders of good times and fun feelings and memories. Maybe I'm just too sentimental a person. I don't know. But I think you're right; sometimes these things we collect and cherish provide consistency and stability when life often provides neither. Good point my friend.

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Always been a big fan of this C.S. Lewis Quote and it sums up my feelings fairly well. But, I do agree that I will often times look around my home (single dad in a two-bedroom apartment) at all the movie posters, signed comic posters, statues, toys, etc... does seem to be odd decor for a 31-year old grown up's apartment.

But, I've never been "grown-up" in the classical sense. I'm constantly guessed as being in my early-20s. My dress style, music taste, and hobbies are hardly placing me in the proper age bracket. If not for my ID and knowing my birthday, I wouldn't feel an older than I did 10-years ago. Neither physically or mentally.

I do find that I spend more money on these little plastic people more often than I should and I occasionally recoup some money on e-bay, but all-in-all collecting toys or comics, playing video games, watching cartoons and movies has never affected me or my life. But, then again, I also seem to be mostly surrounded by a much younger group of friends and seem to never date anyone less than 10 years younger than me. It's not intentional. It just seems to happen.

CapnJeffro...C.S. Lewis is probably my favorite author of all time, and I've never read that quote. I absolutely love it!! That's my new philosophy from now on. (lol) At the end of the day, one's age is just a number, nothing more. I'm like you in that I don't feel any different than I did seventeen years ago when I first started collecting toys officially as an adult.

I think you're on to something there; the older one gets, the more things can change around them. I was always a sentimental person, and, not to sound too depressing, but...my dad has passed away, along with several aunts and uncles. My grandmother's house, where I practically grew up, is falling in on itself and should be condemned, and she has passed. My mom moved out of our childhood home and let my brother and his family move in. It's just that there's been so much change and upheaval in my personal life in recent years that I tend to cling to things that mean something to me more than ever. And some of those things are vintage toys and comics and what-not. They're comforting to me. They're one of the constants in my life, like you alluded to Winter Soldier, and they're reminders of good times and fun feelings and memories. Maybe I'm just too sentimental a person. I don't know. But I think you're right; sometimes these things we collect and cherish provide consistency and stability when life often provides neither. Good point my friend.

Thanks Devil Bat. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I think that's one of the things about adulthood, or even childhood for that matter, that nobody can really prepare you for. We think of growing up as this grand progression toward something better and we never realize how much we lose along the journey until we stop and look back much later. I've been lucky enough not to lose any immediate members of my family yet, but I lost a close friend suddenly in the middle of my freshman year of high school and I've experienced several since then including close friends, cousins, and aunts. I think it's something that really changes you and defines the way you experience life after. In developmental psychology you often hear about a lot of the big names like Freud and Erickson who had their own theories, but my favorite is a lesser-known psychologist from Poland named Kazimierz Dabrowski. He created a theory of human development he called "positive disintegration". You can read a little more about it here. The basic idea is that life is a series of relationships between ourselves and other entities that are constantly being created and destroyed, and in the process we have the potential for greater development and personal awareness. What you describe as sentimentality, Dabrowski called "overexcitability". Some people connect more deeply to things in life than others and when those connections are broken it can affect them more, pushing them to greater levels of personal development in the process. People with a greater capacity for overexcitability are also more prone to closely examine their relationships.

Supposedly, the key to it all is understanding what's happening so you don't feel like you're losing your mind so much. :P

I think as we grow older it just feels like the world is taking pieces of ourselves along the way. Sometimes I feel like there's somehow less inside of me than I started with, and I find it helps to focus on what is still there that's worth preserving. Comic books and toys are a part of that. I just finished a class on diagnosing and treating childhood disorders and one of the therapies we discussed involved creating stories that cast the child as a superhero who uses their powers to confront whatever fears they're struggling with. I think we start getting beaten down when we lose that capacity as adults. As children we can look at the world and see endless possibilities, but as adults sometimes we only see our own limitations. I think it's all about maintaining a constant connection to our own innate potential.

Devil Bat,

I went through this myself about 10 tens ago, when I was still active duty and this was just after the 9/11 attacks.

I actually posted something similar on the Rebelscum boards when I was there (I think I titled the thread "Should I grow up?" :D ), and I got a lot of the same support everyone's offering here. I have chalked up my own collecting habits to nostalgia, kind of a 'look-back' at a simpler time in my life. This is the hobby I've chosen, and I'm content to continue doing it. This is a practice that somewhat centers you, gives you joy and pretty much harms no-one else. I pretty much dismiss anyone who judges me negatively for my hobbies. Let them take thier baggage somewhere else. ;)

Suffer no guilt and enjoy yourself, dude. :)