What is wrong with me??

Devilbat

Okay guys, this thread is a "two-fer"...

First of all, I know that age should not be an issue when it comes to one's hobby, but I'm thirty-seven years old, soon to be thirty-eight, and I may be experiencing some sort of early mid-life crisis or something. This past year I became a father, and I've absolutely loved it. I'm probably happier now than I've ever been. But as some of you dads know, having a child completely changes your outlook on things and how you view the world. It even changes the way you think in some ways. When people say it changes your life, it's not just a cliche. It truly does change everything.

So I guess there have been times lately when I almost feel guilt over indulging in a hobby as frivolous as collecting toys, or I'll feel like, "I'm a father now. I should just grow up, get rid of the toys and put that money towards my child's college fund." I feel like at times maybe I'm too old to be fooling with little action figures and playthings, that it's a waste of time and money. I'm almost forty-years-old. I should be more responsible and start acting my age...

But what does that mean exactly? My dad bought and read comics well into his forties, and he used to spend money (LOTS of money) on his main hobbies, which were hunting and fishing. It wasn't necessary...our very survival didn't depend on whether or not he caught and/or killed something. (lol) He did it for leisure, simply because he enjoyed it. And my respect for him never diminished. I didn't think any less of him because of his hobbies/habits or how much he spent on them.

However...the man didn't collect toys.

So that in turn has made me wonder: What's my little girl gonna think someday when she discovers that Daddy collects toys? Will she think I'm silly and I waste money? Will she think I'm strange and won't be able to relate to me? Will she secretly be embarrassed by my hobby? Or will she simply think it's cool that I celebrate something fun that meant something to me from an early age and it brings me alot of joy?

I guess the bottow line is, do any of you guys go through a phase where your age suddenly becomes an issue, or do you second-guess yourself and wonder why you find yourself still collecting toys at an "advancing" age. I mean, I know I'm not old by any means, but...does there come a time when I should "grow up", especially now that I'm a father?

Now...here's the second part of my dilemma: I'm currently finding myself absolutely obsessed with anything G.I. Joe related. I don't know what sparked it off really. Perhaps it's due to the great SDCC Zarana and 30th Anniversary Skystriker that rekindled my memories and interest. But I'm completely obsessed like some maniac!! For example, in recent months, I have passively appreciated the Pursuit of Cobra line if you will for being highly detailed and very fresh in its take on the G.I. Joe mythos, but I've passed on so much stuff because I was into other things at the time or felt downright, well...indifferent over it. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say I was bored with G.I. Joe in general, but for a long time I could inexplicably take it or leave it, as it were, whenever I would find POC stuff in stores. I just don't know what was wrong with me. I've been a fan of G.I. Joe for nearly three-fourths of my life, and along comes probably the greatest G.I. Joe line since RAH, and I've had an inexplicable "meh" attitude about it. I didn't actively collect it whatsoever. I just bought perhaps a handful of figures. I did make sure I got the incredible Wave 3 Snake Eyes out of sheer habit/loyalty to/love for the character. But now I'm kicking myself hard over and over for not actively pursuing (no pun intended) and/or procuring these great figures that I absolutely love.

Just to give you another small example of my lunacy (lol), I've passed on the POC Firefly I don't know how many times; maybe he didn't completely resemble my old-school image of Firefly, or maybe it was the funky "Predator" helmet and weird sci-fi, high-tech gear he came with, but I was in my completely absurd and unexplainable "whatever" mode whenever I found the figure, and now, all of a sudden, I absolutely love this figure. It is so incredibly cool on so many levels. Do I have one? Nope. Could I have gotten one many times before the "drought"? Yep.(lol)

It's almost like I have a dual personality or some sort of "on/off" switch for my interests. But now, all of a sudden, I can't get enough of G.I. Joe, specifically the ROC/POC stuff, and it's sad because I've passed on so much great stuff over the last year or so. And...in a nice little twist of cruel irony, today on the way home from work, while I was getting a tire fixed at Walmart, I wandered over to the toy aisle to see what they had, and I found a clearence section full of various POC figures for five bucks each. *sob* They had Recondo, both versions of Duke, Firefly, Alley Vipers, and Jungle Vipers. They had a few more, but I didn't have time to go through them all. But I'm broke as a convict right now and had to pass on every single one of them. I'll get paid this Friday, but it may be too late by then and they'll all be gone. And this is all after I've looked for months and months to see if they were carrying G.I. Joe anymore, mainly out of curiosity more than anything. But now I want them, they're available, on clearance even, and I'm BROKE!! *sigh*

So...my point is, does anyone else go thorugh this? Do you obsess or agonize this much over your hobby? Also, do you ever find yourself indifferent over something that used to mean so much to you, for no apparent reason, and then suddenly your interest returns in a really big way? More importantly, am I getting too old for this stuff, or do I need to just get over myself, quit worrying, and simply do what makes me happy?

I'm 45 and I collect ....and t0 grow up? Hell you are grown up I hate when non collectors say that .Hell too me they are boring and uninteresting.They have nothing to do but bore themselves to death all day.

Your daughter will love you no matter what you do.Hell you might have an influence on her so she might collect also

Now mind you i'm not a father and I don't think it will ever happen for me but don't let people judge you and as I said she will love you no matter what so collect away ...There is no shame in it

As for obsessing? I right now am obsessed with finding Classic Lion-O.I do obsess when i'm hunting for it or any other figure I want badley.I have turned away from Transformers for the time being the DOTM figures suck and Star wars has too many figures out right now that I don't want.I will get back into them when they release new figures..In transfomers case it the Prime figures I want:P

Oh yeah...just get over yourself,and quit worrying. :P

First off, I have a friend who is your age with 3 kids and he collects the hell out of MOTU classics. He has every figure. But he limits himself (according to him) to JUST MOTU. I think if you do that, find ONE thing you really like and stick with it, you'll be OK even with kids. Only make sure you really enjoy it otherwise, where's the fun. Don't worry about toy collecting vs. something like hunting or fishing and how "manly" it is. If it's something you like and have a passion for, the people in your life will accept it.

For your other point, all I can say is I go through periods where I'll be interested in, say Transformers for a month, then I'll be intereded in DC for a month, then GI Joe....If something cool comes out for a line that I'm not into that particular month I'm likely to pass on it, only to WANT it when I come around to actively looking out for cools stuff from that brand again. It's a real problem. I need to just stick to GI Joe from here on out.

Theres nothing wrong with you.

I'm 41 years old and I'm raising a 6 year old daughter. I just took her to her first toy show. I want her and I to have a strong but honest relationship. Part of what makes dad, dad is my love of toys and comics. Its part of who I am and it won't change as I get older.

Now she and my work career are my number one priorities in life. But I need to have other interests than both those, even if they are the most important things. Besides, my girl always wants to look at the new things I buy and thinks they're neat.

As for the age thing, It could be a little mid-life. I've personally have had to come to the realization that I have slowed-up a bit. That I'm not quite the athlete I once was and I don't recover as fast as I use to. But at no means am I old yet.

Kids and toys, what more can keep you young?

• Like 2

Everyone has hobbies. I'd say collecting toys is one of the better ones. You don't kill animals for fun or spoil other's fun with your chosen hobby.

It's also a good lesson for kids, showing them to look after stuff, appreciate it and have it organised etc. :)

I'm 34 and have three girls , two of them are in there "playing with toys phase".My youngest is (a very advanced) 4 years old and my toy collection has sort of grown on her.She knows pretty much who all the Avengers are and loves the heck out of Scarlett (mainly because of the movie). My 8 year old has adapted my knack for collecting with her "Littlest Pet Shop" toys(yet another HASBRO prod.)ROC Joes can be had for about 3.99 at most Marshall's and shouldn't hurt your pocket that much.

• Like 1

Father of 2 at 35 and next year will be my five year old son's first JoeCon! Can't wait to take him and I'm sure he won't mind since he loves playing with my collection. Might be a pretty expensive trip though, because I know that he's going to asking for lots of stuff.

EM

first off dont worry about your hobby so much and what your daughter thinks. my kids and i go to the toy isles and it gives us something to bond over. yeah you have a kid now so you need to make a budget and stick to it! enjoy your hobby! no matter what your age! society is cruel a grown man can have his favorite sports team all over his house or everything he owns with his favorite race car driver and society accepts it, but if your grown and into collecting toys your weird. it's that double standard that's stupid. i know how you feel but this hobby is what i enjoy doing and if people don't understand then screw em. to address the renewed interests of g.i. joe that's normal. i use to love star wars figures but for the past year i really haven't bought anything every once in awhile you may become bored with something and later find something that catches your eye and boom you gotta have it all. just remember to buy diapers first lol and you'll be fine. to the money end of things hey yo uhave friends on here. use your collection for trade find things your not interested in and trade or sell them to get what you want. your probally not going to have a mid life crisis cause this hobby has that gonig for it as long as your inner child stays with you the age won't matter! and i'm sure if you do have one oyur wife would rather you buy toys becaue of it than buy a sports car and cheat on her with a younger woman. anytime you want to talk just pm me and send me a list of joes tyour looking for i might be able to find some good deals in my area.

Hexxx no, collect all you want, there are alot of other bad things you could be out there collecting or doing. I gave up the demon drink for my Joes. I was in the hospital & very sick from just livin too fast for too long, & my lil sis bought me a Marvel BOF to cheer me up that was 5 years ago. Now I have a new collection & recaptured what I had lost so many years ago. When I left home for the road outside I cast aside my old toy collection, oh what a fool I was, lost all my old joes, TF's, Ninja Turtles, Mask, Toy Biz Marvel, & massive Hot wheel col. some lucky duck out there has my castaways. Now I have started the madness again but its a good thing my niece & nephews love my stuff & play w/em on the regular, they call me the cool uncle & sometimes I catch heat from family members, as I am the black sheep & I've heard the "grown man buying silly things" comment but its my money its my life & our lives are way too short to not get what makes you smile. I love the thrill of the hunt & drooling over my new stuff brings me joy, like Xmas morning or that favorite birthday & there's nothing wrong with that. As far as the obsession yes, its funny sometimes, like a "reverse buyers remorse", when you get home & realize you should've boosted the economy & bought that 3rd alley viper. Joblessness has hit me hard so I'm limited these days to what I buy, I garage sale avidly now after I got some killer deals and I check the closeout places more when I can, places like Ross, Marshalls, TjMaxx, Tuesday Mornings, Big Lots, Dollar General, sometimes even Goodwill & other thrift stores get stuff, the thrift store I used to work at I snagged an Cobra Ferret for 45cents, Stinger for 75cents, bags of o-ring joes for 2 bux & scores of old toys for cheap, my local comic shop gets some cool stuff as some collectors sell stuff when times get hard, I also check Craigslist in the toy section I scored an Joe APC for $10 almost new, but the only bad trade off is gas is so damned expensive so I like to tag along when I can with others out onna run, I also keep my eyes open at Wally world, Toyrus, & Target for clearance. I believe there is a such a thing as a "toy fix" & the ToY GoDs have blessed me many times over. I can hardly wait for whats around the corner, never doubt the healing power of little plastic men and robots.......MTGBY....oh and I'm doing much better these days

DB goes through this phase every couple of years... It will pass... LOL

@smilepunch@

(lol) Yeah...I tend to have an attack of conscience from time to time like this, where I second-guess my tendency to buy and collect toys. But I usually settle back down on the fact that I have good, relatable reasons to do what I do, like many of you have alluded to:

The things I buy and/or collect usually have some connection to my childhood or memories of fun times with my family. A big part of it is nostalgia of course, but the rest is the fact that I've always been fascinated by action figures and related toys in general, and they've always sparked my imagination. And I'm pretty sure these are the same reasons people are sports fans, or gun collectors, or anything they enjoy and/or associate with great feelings and memories. I think I just analyze things waaay too much and sometimes worry about what kind of expectations society places on age, and then I hold myself up to those expectations and question myself as to why I am the way I am, when in reality it doesn't matter. In the end, who cares? It makes me happy, it's fun, and it can lead to quality time with my baby like it did with my dad and brothers. It's part of who I am and I have my reasons for doing it. And age shouldn't be an issue; when I'm eighty years old, I'm still gonna think Snake Eyes is as cool as I did when I was twelve. Why should age change what I enjoy or think is cool? And like someone else said here, it does keep you young and gives you something to enjoy and look forward to.

Thanks for the response and kind words guys. This has been a great therapy session. (lol) Seriously, my wife says some of the same things when I go through this occaisionally, but I guess it means a great deal coming from some of you guys that are in the same situation that collect toys like I do. I appreciate you guys!!

Today i told my daughter jokingly that i was going to start aging backwards starting next year.LOL.So next year i'll be 33 and the next 32 etc.She got a kick out of it.The conversation came up when she asked how old she would be 25 years from now.When i told her how old i was going to be she laughed at me.So i told her that i was just going to have to age backwards :D@haha@

There is nothing wrong with you. If you control your spending, take care of your family, you'll be fine.

I'm 30 with a 4 year old son. My son and I enjoy going to TRU every weekend talking about toys and movies.

Im 57 and have 7 kids. Been collecting 3 3/4 joes since 82. My kids still love me hey they grew up playing with them. Now with 4 grandkids I am still going strong. My kids even got together to fly me to D.C. to see the movie. Its been said by others and I'll say it again, its a hobby and a fun one at that. There are a lot worst hobbies you could have. So enjoy it.

• Like 3

Im 57 and have 7 kids. Been collecting 3 3/4 joes since 82. My kids still love me hey they grew up playing with them. Now with 4 grandkids I am still going strong. My kids even got together to fly me to D.C. to see the movie. Its been said by others and I'll say it again, its a hobby and a fun one at that. There are a lot worst hobbies you could have. So enjoy it.

Sir I tip my cap off to you on most boards I am the eldest but you show us all that at your age it doesn't matter as long as you love what you do

Thats good to hear! More power to you!

Thanks guys, but its easy when you have the support of a good wife. Plus I really dont care what my friends think. You are only as old as you feel. I am a member of a few sites and the one thing I see in joe collectors is a GREAT imagination. Everything from awesome customs to joeverses. Without action figures all there is are computer games which dont require much imagination. Dont get me wrong technology is important but all you Dads out there make sure you help develope your kids minds through role play. And what better way is there than Action Figures.

And that ends my public service announcement. YO JOE

Thanks guys, but its easy when you have the support of a good wife.

This, sir, FTW.

My wife loves that I collect toys and don't use that money to drink, smoke, or do other habits that would otherwise be bad for me or others. There have been countless times when she has called me from a store in front of the Joes and began reading off names for me. She is a keeper. When we go to stores, I start to tell her that I'll be in the toys, and she just waves me off before I can finish because she knows where to find me. Thank you Wal-Mart and Target for putting toys right next to electronics. I don't need the other 80% of those stores.

My daughter just turned 10 last month, and she loves daddy's hobby. She gets a kick out of showing her friends daddy's closet. She gets some of my toys to play with too, so she likes that. Also, she knows anytime she goes to the store with me, we are both going to end up in the toy aisle, which is always a plus for her. I'm sure in about 3-4 years she'll start to get bored with toys, get more into girly stuff, and think daddy's toys are 'cute.' I'm prepared for that.

I just recently turned 33, so I hope I'm no where near a midlife crisis. I'm scared that when mine comes, I'll do like I did my comics, and just sell off everything just for the sake of getting rid of it. We'll see.

As for the obsessing, you have every right to. @loll@ I hate missing out on stuff. Being deployed bugs me for a few reasons. One, most importantly, I'm away from my family. Two, the living conditions are a bit tougher. Three, I can't buy any toys! OK, that might be bumped up to number two. I can live with my current conditions, but hate not being able to go out there and 'hunt' for toys. It's killing me that people are finding stuff on clearance at WMs (MU stuff anyway), and I'm stuck with no way to get them. My wife is great, but I'm not going to send her out looking for things. If she sees it, she'll get it for me, but I won't send her on a wild goose chase. That's the part I love. And I'm missing it. Even if I find nothing on my hunting days, the thrill of the hunt is enough for me.

My name is Michael, and I collect toys. I can live with that and the rest of the world better be ready to do the same.

Win.