Sign in to follow this  
TOYMAN65

DC Club Infinite Earths: Why are we blowing our chance?

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year?

Many people don't buy an entire wave. Some just pick and choose the characters they like. Having to buy two lines of figures just to get 3 random figures you may want just isn't economically reasonable in a healthy economy much less a bad one.

Re-read what I said. I said Two Waves' WORTH of product. Not just "Two Waves." In other words, between single-card figures, two-packs, exclusives, multipacks etc... etc... based on your prior buying habits for the DCUC line, and current financial situation, were you likely going to spend about $250 bucks (or more) in the last three quarters of next year on DCUC product? If the answer is "yes" then you can afford a sub and are lying if you say otherwise. If the answer is "no" then like I said, maybe the sub isn't for you.

Going to play devil's advocate here.

First, what I understood after reading cvg's post is that he is getting tired of pro sub people (not everyone I must say) trying to push or bullying everyone who is not into buying one (cause otherwise they won't get all of their obscure or classic figs) I never read anything saying people should not buy them or that they were doing wrong by it. I totally agree with him on this. And again, I am neither against nor pro sub (you can read my previous posts to see where I stand).

As I stated in an earlier post, as much as anti sub people give dumb or non-existent excuses, as the deadline approaches, pro sub people have gotten increasingly vocal and passionate about the whole deal, which would be fine if they were not berating and calling people who are not getting a sub not "real fans" so much. (And I say not getting one, not just people who are trying to discourage others from buying one, which as I have said is also wrong).

Finally, bringing the economy into a toy discussion is anything but asinine, as not everyone has the same income but might have the same passion for toys than others, so the fact that someone can't or doesn't want to buy all the figures in a line, just a few of them (which might actually be within their budget) does not make them a hypocrite or any less a fan.

No, it is asinine. It has nothing to do with "passion" or being "less of a fan." If you say "The economy is bad so I can't buy these toys!" Then you shouldn't be buying ANY toys. To do otherwise is irresponsible. If you simply don't want the sub, then say you don't want the sub and don't care what might come in the future. Don't blame "the economy" in one breath and in the other go ordering DC Direct figures from another online retailer. IF someone is saying, "The economy won't let me buy a subscription" but still buying toys, they're lying. What they really mean is "I don't like or want the subscription enough to shift my toy-buying budget to paying for it." The simple truth would be fine (again, assuming that they don't fall into that category that probably would have spent $250+ on DCUC next year anyway, in which case they're again lying to themselves as their "toy buying budget" would have been going to DCUC anyway).

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year?

Many people don't buy an entire wave. Some just pick and choose the characters they like. Having to buy two lines of figures just to get 3 random figures you may want just isn't economically reasonable in a healthy economy much less a bad one.

Re-read what I said. I said Two Waves' WORTH of product. Not just "Two Waves." In other words, between single-card figures, two-packs, exclusives, multipacks etc... etc... based on your prior buying habits for the DCUC line, and current financial situation, were you likely going to spend about $250 bucks (or more) in the last three quarters of next year on DCUC product? If the answer is "yes" then you can afford a sub and are lying if you say otherwise. If the answer is "no" then like I said, maybe the sub isn't for you.

Going to play devil's advocate here.

First, what I understood after reading cvg's post is that he is getting tired of pro sub people (not everyone I must say) trying to push or bullying everyone who is not into buying one (cause otherwise they won't get all of their obscure or classic figs) I never read anything saying people should not buy them or that they were doing wrong by it. I totally agree with him on this. And again, I am neither against nor pro sub (you can read my previous posts to see where I stand).

As I stated in an earlier post, as much as anti sub people give dumb or non-existent excuses, as the deadline approaches, pro sub people have gotten increasingly vocal and passionate about the whole deal, which would be fine if they were not berating and calling people who are not getting a sub not "real fans" so much. (And I say not getting one, not just people who are trying to discourage others from buying one, which as I have said is also wrong).

Finally, bringing the economy into a toy discussion is anything but asinine, as not everyone has the same income but might have the same passion for toys than others, so the fact that someone can't or doesn't want to buy all the figures in a line, just a few of them (which might actually be within their budget) does not make them a hypocrite or any less a fan.

No, it is asinine. It has nothing to do with "passion" or being "less of a fan." If you say "The economy is bad so I can't buy these toys!" Then you shouldn't be buying ANY toys. To do otherwise is irresponsible. If you simply don't want the sub, then say you don't want the sub and don't care what might come in the future. Don't blame "the economy" in one breath and in the other go ordering DC Direct figures from another online retailer. IF someone is saying, "The economy won't let me buy a subscription" but still buying toys, they're lying. What they really mean is "I don't like or want the subscription enough to shift my toy-buying budget to paying for it." The simple truth would be fine (again, assuming that they don't fall into that category that probably would have spent $250+ on DCUC next year anyway, in which case they're again lying to themselves as their "toy buying budget" would have been going to DCUC anyway).

I'll give you that in the specific example you are refering to, economy is just an excuse, but again, not everyone is using it, like I said before, If a person has a limited income (but still manages to have a little left over for small luxuries) it is not irresponsible at all (we are all entitled to a little guilty pleasure) to buy toys, maybe said person can afford to buy a single figure every 2 months and is perfectly happy with that (thus having to cherry pick which figures they get while being passionate about it)so in a general sense, not picking a sub for financial reasons is in fact true (and not asinine and a lie as you so harshly put it) as well as a completely legitimate reason.

I just checked Matty... It looks like the bar didnt move... I say just let it die...

Its like an unattractive girl that tries to get with you... Go away already...

Does that mean you have to get drunk to subscribe?

Subbers seem that way to me...or more like desperate crack addicts. buy the sub Buy The Sub BUY THE SUB BUYTHESUB!!!!!!! oh please.

I'm glad the cnc is gone (most of the time they're either too big or too small)and besides who else is really left to make that need that size?.

What's so bad about the new store strategy, there's gonna be new redesign characters and classics. That seems the best way to go. Probably the best for mattel too, most people will pick up a couple figures and not the full wave... so diversity is the best way forward.

The Champ has SPOKEN!

PS- If the sub fails, I gaurantee the already tooled figs (Flash, starman) will be released regardless.

Subbers seem that way to me...or more like desperate crack addicts. buy the sub Buy The Sub BUY THE SUB BUYTHESUB!!!!!!! oh please.

I'm glad the cnc is gone (most of the time they're either too big or too small)and besides who else is really left to make that need that size?.

What's so bad about the new store strategy, there's gonna be new redesign characters and classics. That seems the best way to go. Probably the best for mattel too, most people will pick up a couple figures and not the full wave... so diversity is the best way forward.

The Champ has SPOKEN!

PS- If the sub fails, I gaurantee the already tooled figs (Flash, starman) will be released regardless.

If Mattel's new DC figure line lasts long enough, they're bound to put some different characters in it just to fill out each wave of figures.

I hope the sub pushes through. if it does, I can imagine collectors who didn't sign having a b!tch fit when they miss out on something.

Jay Garrick and Atrocitus is more than enough reason for me to buy the sub.

I actually want to join the club. But I find it very confusing. From what I get on the site. You get 1 free figure and sold a figure once a month?

I hope the sub pushes through. if it does, I can imagine collectors who didn't sign having a b!tch fit when they miss out on something.

At least it would encourage them to get a subscription the next year, should this one happen that is. I still think that Mattel is expecting too much from collectors. It would be nice they told people how many more subscriptions they actually needed. That telethon style thermometer they're using is just not good enough.

I actually want to join the club. But I find it very confusing. From what I get on the site. You get 1 free figure and sold a figure once a month?

You get one figure per month from April 2012 - December 2012.

There will be 3 over-sized figures shipped once a quarter(Appox every three months).

There is also a bonus subscription figure that only subcribers receive(The other figures are to be released to non-subcribers on the announced sales days). You pay for that though with you intial sub, there aren't any free figures.

Hope that helps.

At least it would encourage them to get a subscription the next year, should this one happen that is. I still think that Mattel is expecting too much from collectors. It would be nice they told people how many more subscriptions they actually needed. That telethon style thermometer they're using is just not good enough.

somebody mentioned on the Matty facebook page that what if there's already enough subs for the the DCU sub to push through. And mattel just don't want to give out the numbers that way they can still have collectors on the fence to buy it that way they sell more. Marketing conspiracy :)