DC Club Infinite Earths: Why are we blowing our chance?

TOYMAN65

Hi, I'll start by saying I'm one of those fans who doesn't get all the figures (while I do own a good 60% of the DCUC that have been produced so far) and that I agree with most of what you have said, including that Mattel is first and foremost doing business; heck I also agree that the sub (which I'm not getting) is the only real option for obscure and classic non superman or batman related pre DCnU figures to be delivered to fans, but I also think that hijacking figures like Poison Ivy (who could and should by all accounts have gone in the batman legacy subline) is insulting and a low blow for non-completist who also support the line (even if to a lesser degree than completists).

And before someone says that she could not be offered outside the sub, I'll use Catman as a counter argument. As much as he is a fan favorite I'm willing to bet he has nowhere near the mainstream and general public recognition Poison Ivy has, and if someone says she might not be succesful as a single figure (like power girl) I'll say most bat villains sell well (Harley anyone) or you could even put her in one of the legacy 2 packs alongside any given batman variation and she would be a much easier sell to retailers. I get mattel is desperate to get the people into buying subs, at least they sound like it with "threats" like the poison Ivy one, but this attitude will most likely push away people who are not hardcore completists who might have considered buying one.

So bottom line, while I don't think Mattel should be crucified for trying to get the sub going, I do think their methods are questionable, I also don't think that people against it should get such a bad rap for it.

Mattel should get props for releasing Catman but the bottom line is he's just a brown Batman, i.e. he's a repaint/retool in a line that needed quick figures on the shelf. Right place right time, that's all.

You might be right about Poison Ivy, but recent history regarding DCUC female figures might have dictated Mattel's decision.

You just said it yourself, Mattel is here to make money. What were they supposed to say?

Let's pretend Mattel said they were going to produce Klarion the Witch Boy as the fourth figure in the sub instead of Poison Ivy. Fans like Flounnderr would have been the first in line to mock Mattel for making figures he ERRR "no one" wants. The hypocrisy is astounding.

And as for giving fans a "bad rap" for not backing the subscription, that's just untrue. Between this thread and this one it's pretty obvious these "anti-sub" fans just want things done they way they want them done and don't understand/don't care what Mattel has to do to stay in business.

• Like 2

Hi, I'll start by saying I'm one of those fans who doesn't get all the figures (while I do own a good 60% of the DCUC that have been produced so far) and that I agree with most of what you have said, including that Mattel is first and foremost doing business; heck I also agree that the sub (which I'm not getting) is the only real option for obscure and classic non superman or batman related pre DCnU figures to be delivered to fans, but I also think that hijacking figures like Poison Ivy (who could and should by all accounts have gone in the batman legacy subline) is insulting and a low blow for non-completist who also support the line (even if to a lesser degree than completists).

And before someone says that she could not be offered outside the sub, I'll use Catman as a counter argument. As much as he is a fan favorite I'm willing to bet he has nowhere near the mainstream and general public recognition Poison Ivy has, and if someone says she might not be succesful as a single figure (like power girl) I'll say most bat villains sell well (Harley anyone) or you could even put her in one of the legacy 2 packs alongside any given batman variation and she would be a much easier sell to retailers. I get mattel is desperate to get the people into buying subs, at least they sound like it with "threats" like the poison Ivy one, but this attitude will most likely push away people who are not hardcore completists who might have considered buying one.

So bottom line, while I don't think Mattel should be crucified for trying to get the sub going, I do think their methods are questionable, I also don't think that people against it should get such a bad rap for it.

Mattel should get props for releasing Catman but the bottom line is he's just a brown Batman, i.e. he's a repaint/retool in a line that needed quick figures on the shelf. Right place right time, that's all.

You might be right about Poison Ivy, but recent history regarding DCUC female figures might have dictated Mattel's decision.

You just said it yourself, Mattel is here to make money. What were they supposed to say?

Let's pretend Mattel said they were going to produce Klarion the Witch Boy as the fourth figure in the sub instead of Poison Ivy. Fans like Flounnderr would have been the first in line to mock Mattel for making figures he ERRR "no one" wants. hypocrisy is astounding.

And as for giving fans a "bad rap" for not backing the subscription, that's just untrue. Between this thread and this one it's pretty obvious these "anti-sub" fans just want things done they way they want them done and don't understand/don't care what Mattel has to do to stay in business.

It also depends which ver of Ivy they release. Wasn't there a ver of her where she is nude with her branches covering parts of her body? If so, that might one reason why Mattel would want to make a sub of her

It also depends which ver of Ivy they release. Wasn't there a ver of her where she is nude with her branches covering parts of her body? If so, that might one reason why Mattel would want to make a sub of her

Obviously there's a tasteful way to make Poison Ivy so I doubt that would have been an issue.

But then again, who knows how fans would have reacted to that.

• Like 2

Let's pretend Mattel said they were going to produce Klarion the Witch Boy as the fourth figure in the sub instead of Poison Ivy. Fans like Flounnderr would have been the first in line to mock Mattel for making figures he ERRR "no one" wants. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Again I agree with the fact mattel is running a business and that money comes first, and that announcing Klarion (don't even know who that is) instead of Ivy would not have lured in more sub buyers, my point was more about alienating non completists who still put a good amount of money into this line. I can't talk for everyone, but I can say that myself and quite a few collectors I know are more batman and or superman fans, so most of our selections are bats and supes related characters (along with most JL main players as well)and I have seen comments on the forum from a lot of people who mostly collect a specific area of the DCU and not all of the figures (say mostly superpowers or batman related figs) and like I said before while our number might not be as big as that of completists, we are loyal supporters of the DCU "area" we love.

I know the sub is crucial for really obscure characters, but again, most bat family characters would do well at retail in a line like batman legacy, matty could take cues from spiderman classics (both TOYBIZ and HASBRO) that line managed to bring us most spidey villains while appealing to the general public and retailers (lasting several years for that matter), and while I know catman was an easy retool given the short time they had to put the line out, future releases should present no problem. Regarding the bad rap for anti sub fans, I get that some are pretty outspoken and don't give valid or at least well thought arguments, but again, many do to some extent and they are entitled to their opinion, pro sub fans are just as loud and even more passionate in their statements because they feel people not subscribing are ruinning their chance for most characters they want to come to fruition (which is true at a base level) but in the end no matter how frustrated they might feel, it is the nature of the market that brought this about, and while I don't think people should be discouraging others from getting the sub, I also don't think that getting mad at others for not getting one is good either.

I'm in the middle as I do see the sub as the only viable means for classic characters to be offered, but I am nowhere near as commited and invested in this lesser known characters to justify getting a sub, so if it ends up failing I know I might still get some of the remaining figures I want (mostly bat family) as exclusives or through filler sub lines like legacy. I have read a lot of comments from people who feel likewise, so maybe, as many have put it, DC fans are not as commited as marvel fans, or maybe DC has a smaller hardcore fan base when it comes to b and c list characters (as evidenced by the poor advance in matty's thermometer).

Again I agree with the fact mattel is running a business and that money comes first, and that announcing Klarion (don't even know who that is) instead of Ivy would not have lured in more sub buyers, my point was more about alienating non completists who still put a good amount of money into this line. I can't talk for everyone, but I can say that myself and quite a few collectors I know are more batman and or superman fans, so most of our selections are bats and supes related characters (along with most JL main players as well)and I have seen comments on the forum from a lot of people who mostly collect a specific area of the DCU and not all of the figures (say mostly superpowers or batman related figs) and like I said before while our number might not be as big as that of completists, we are loyal supporters of the DCU "area" we love.

I know the sub is crucial for really obscure characters, but again, most bat family characters would do well at retail in a line like batman legacy, matty could take cues from spiderman classics (both TOYBIZ and HASBRO) that line managed to bring us most spidey villains while appealing to the general public and retailers (lasting several years for that matter), and while I know catman was an easy retool given the short time they had to put the line out, future releases should present no problem. Regarding the bad rap for anti sub fans, I get that some are pretty outspoken and don't give valid or at least well thought arguments, but again, many do to some extent and they are entitled to their opinion, pro sub fans are just as loud and even more passionate in their statements because they feel people not subscribing are ruinning their chance for most characters they want to come to fruition (which is true at a base level) but in the end no matter how frustrated they might feel, it is the nature of the market that brought this about, and while I don't think people should be discouraging others from getting the sub, I also don't think that getting mad at others for not getting one is good either.

I'm in the middle as I do see the sub as the only viable means for classic characters to be offered, but I am nowhere near as commited and invested in this lesser known characters to justify getting a sub, so if it ends up failing I know I might still get some of the remaining figures I want (mostly bat family) as exclusives or through filler sub lines like legacy. I have read a lot of comments from people who feel likewise, so maybe, as many have put it, DC fans are not as commited as marvel fans, or maybe DC has a smaller hardcore fan base when it comes to b and c list characters (as evidenced by the poor advance in matty's thermometer).

Your arguments are valid. However, if Mattel had taken Toy Biz/Hasbro's model of putting an A-Lister or a movie character in the majority of DCUC waves we might not be having this discussion at all.

And yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion...and also entitled to be told the facts they base it on are wrong.

Get a sub, don't get a sub, whatever, it's not my place to tell people what to buy. But as stated before, if the sub fails those who didn't buy it will rejoice, right up until they see what happens when the reboot affects this line.

• Like 2

Agreed, but only those who are/were naive enough to think the reboot won't affect the line when/if the sub fails will feel upset when it does, anyone else who realizes this and still doesn't see the need to buy a sub (like I do) will most likely feel no different afterwards.

• Like 1

Toy collectors are their worst enemies, however in this case they have some valid points.

1. It's an extra bill off the new line now....monthly no less

2. The information was given in the most horrible way possible

3. Continuous information has also been flawed, communication has broken down between Mattel and fans.

The problem though is that fans have hounded Mattel on almost everything anyway, fickle frannies is what most of them are, so who really knows where the problem originates from, but DCUC was going strong and it is a shame it is going away. What they could of done was incorporate more new characters, 3 modern characters in every 5 figure wave would of worked.......but oh well.

Also, regardless of what the Champ says, Mattel have said that they are ending the dCUC line, but that doesn't mean they are ending DC figures that are compatable with the line at retail. I suspect that this means that they are ending the DCUC in favor for their Batman and Young Jusstice 6 inch lines.

From the Hall of Justice blog:

"The new retail line will be a mix of the DCnU and some classic figures but this new subscription program was announced to get collectors the figures we really wanted for our collections. Figures that just wouldn't work out in their new retail program."

Jay C and The Fwoosh reported this as well. From a marketing pov it's brilliant. The reboot is aimed at younger readers and it's logical to tie this in with the comics.

From the collector's pov? This is trash. The overall reaction is resoundingly negative and considering it takes a long time to put together new figures it's a safe bet the first few waves of this "rebranding" will more than likely consist of repacks and quick retools. One of the reasons DCUC is better than Marvel Legends is because they didn't go nuts with Batman and Superman but it's also the reason why it's vanishing from retail stores.

If collector's want to put their faith in this "rebranding" that's fine. But don't expect to see too many collector friendly figures.

That's what really gets me about this situation: The folks apparently assuming that "if the sub doesn't happen, they'll just put these figures back into the line."

Aside from the fact that Matty has basically said "maybe we'll be able to slot some of these figures into the new line starting in 2013 or 2014 if the line continues and they fit in with the new "brand"" the subscription is already showing us exactly what kind of figures DON'T make the cut:

Jay Garrick - Understandable as the JSA is not part of the DCnU to start.

Starman/Starboy - Likewise, plus the LoSH is already seen as so "niche" that they can only be sold online (IE not popular enough for regular retail).

Atrocitus - This is the one that's telling and the most worrisome. Atrocitus IS part of the DCnU and is even getting (more or less) his own series to start...yet he's not "good enough" to make the cut for the rebranded line. What does this tell us? It tells us to expect a whole hell of a lot of "core characters" in the new line, because "non-core characters" are flat-out, at least to start (I see him as most likely to be released if the sub doesn't go through...but again not until 2013 or 2014).

Poison Ivy - An A-List Bat-Villainess whose presence just reinforces the above, plus gives us a good clue that female villains are likely to be few and far between in the new line, if not females in general. Indeed, villains may be stuck back into "core character" mode once more, too (say hello to yet another Joker, Lex Luthor, etc...before you get anybody else!).

Add to that no more "oversized" figures because the build-a-figure is going away, and you lose even more character variety (You wanted a BAF Doomsday? Too bad....).

In short, the "rebranded" line is looking like it's going to be a heck of a lot more "mainstream" than the previous line was. Maybe some people are totally OK with getting the new designs for old characters, and that's fine, but folks thinking that DCUC is still going to be putting out these "niche" characters in the new line really aren't reading between the lines. Likewise the folks just kicking back and saying, "Oh, they've already got enough subs, that thermometer thing is just BS, I'll just snag the extras on sale days" are gonna be SOL when they find out the thermometer wasn't BS (though it was very poorly updated. I really doubt that it hasn't moved at all since Wednesday or Thursday of last week).

I am wondering though, what this new line will be. Like many have mentioned Atrocitus is part of the main core of the DCU so how is he not included in the new line is very strange. I can't imagine what this new line will be, it seems not to make any sense whatsoever. Are we just getting brand new costume versions of all the characters we have seen so far, if so this is going to be interesting...........can't wait to hear the response after the first reveals. If I don't like it then my response will be as normal....lol

PUTTING IT INTO PERSPECTIVE or

WHY I'M NOT BUYING THE MATTEL DCUC SUBSCRIPTION

Since so many people are out there preaching WHY the DCU Mattel Sub is so 'important', I'm going to explain valid reasons why I don't think it is. First and foremost, expenses are rising, paychecks aren't. The economy is in the toilet, people don't even know if they will have jobs in six months yet a toy company wants people, in advance, to commit to spending over two hundred dollars on toys... toys. People are losing their homes, their jobs yet Mattel wants customers to commit to spending over 200 bucks on product from them. The best part is, they haven't even told you which ones you will be buying. They've only told us 'some' of them.

Let's go through this again for people who didn't get it the first time:

A company wants their customer to commit to buying X number of product -- yet they will only tell us half of the product we're buying. The other half, well, it's a mystery. They know, but they won't tell their customers -- yet they want you to blindly invest in product you know nothing about. Kind of like buying a box of cracker jacks: you don't know what the prize will be until you buy the box. If you don't like the prize? Well, at least you enjoyed the cracker jack caramel popcorn.

With Mattel's product, you don't even get the popcorn. If you don't like the figure, which they will announce at a later date -- after you have committed to buying it, you're just screwed.

Talk about a fool and his money soon parting.

Let's discuss the ones the did tell us about. Some people who bought the subscription are very excited about the choices. I'm happy for them. Personally, I don't want Atrocitcus or whatever his name is. I have no need for a Golden Age Flash: DC Direct has done a dozen of them. No desperate need for a Star Boy right now. DC Direct has already done a couple of him too. Right now, the Legion doesn't need more men. The Legion needs women. Poison Ivy? The fan favorite character EVERYONE wants? Guess what, not everyone wants her. I don't. DC Direct has done a dozen of her too. I already have Poison Ivy.

Some people who collect these things have endless streams of money, that they can just drop $15.00 a pop on figures already done. I don't have an endless stream of money and even if I did, I won't waste money on something I already have. It's just not a priority. Priorities change and my priority is paying my mortgage, putting food on the table and having extra money for a social life: not to buy into a subscription for figures I already don't want and others I don't even know. Had they announced Elasti Girl? More Metal Men? Legion Women? I would have subscribed. Might they do them? Yes, if they do and offer them on a website, I'll buy. I'm not spending over $150 on toys I don't want to get those two fifteen dollar toys I do want. Because if I have to do it like that, those two fifteen dollar toys aren't really fifteen. I have to spend 150.00 first to get them. And sorry, as much as I want to complete my Doom Patrol, I ain't paying $180.00 to do it.

Moreover, DCUC is different than MOTU: MOTU has only one version of their cast. DC has changed their characters so many times, they have so many versions, you don't even know which version you're getting. You don't like the version, you're screwed if you already committed to buying it character unseen/sight unseen.

I've seen some people say they've bought 2 and 3 subs. Really? Someone has over $600 bucks to spend on frigging toys in a recessive economy? They must have great jobs, so good that they know they'll still have that job next year when you have to pay for the figures in their subs. Some of us aren't as fortunate. Others just may not be as interested as you are, or maybe they just have different priorities.

Yet we are getting 'hated on' and 'blamed' for not buying into this, as if it is the end of the world for toy collectors everywhere. It's our fault if Mattel does not go through with the Sub, it's our fault that you didn't get the action figure you want because we're not as interested in it as you or that I just have different priorities than you. And the constant bullying, trying to get people to subscribe when they don't want to is having a toxic effect, turning me off to Mattel and collecting in general.

Sorry, there are plenty of ways Mattel can offer these characters without having to 'force' me into buying TOYS I don't want or need. They can just offer them through the website, then we can pick and choose the ones we want from the ones we don't. But Mattel doesn't want to do that -- for whatever their reason. It's not economical for them to produce them without a guarantee of XX amount of product sold?

You can understand Mattel's logic but you can't understand the logic of the consumer who has to tighten their belt during a recessive economy? Guess what, it's not economically responsible for many of us to commit to buying something when we don't even know what product we're buying.

Get a grip.

• Like 1

Let me confess a little secret, when a post goes for more than 3 paragraphs I skip right past it anyone else (note this not against anyone, just something I do and was wondering if anyone else did the same) lol @smilepunch@

Yes, I do the same thing.

We live in a sound-bite, bullet-point age.

If people can't get their point across quickly, I can't spare the time to care.

PUTTING IT INTO PERSPECTIVE or

WHY I'M NOT BUYING THE MATTEL DCUC SUBSCRIPTION

Since so many people are out there preaching WHY the DCU Mattel Sub is so 'important', I'm going to explain valid reasons why I don't think it is. First and foremost, expenses are rising, paychecks aren't. The economy is in the toilet, people don't even know if they will have jobs in six months yet a toy company wants people, in advance, to commit to spending over two hundred dollars on toys... toys. People are losing their homes, their jobs yet Mattel wants customers to commit to spending over 200 bucks on product from them. The best part is, they haven't even told you which ones you will be buying. They've only told us 'some' of them.

Let's go through this again for people who didn't get it the first time:

A company wants their customer to commit to buying X number of product -- yet they will only tell us half of the product we're buying. The other half, well, it's a mystery. They know, but they won't tell their customers -- yet they want you to blindly invest in product you know nothing about. Kind of like buying a box of cracker jacks: you don't know what the prize will be until you buy the box. If you don't like the prize? Well, at least you enjoyed the cracker jack caramel popcorn.

With Mattel's product, you don't even get the popcorn. If you don't like the figure, which they will announce at a later date -- after you have committed to buying it, you're just screwed.

Talk about a fool and his money soon parting.

Let's discuss the ones the did tell us about. Some people who bought the subscription are very excited about the choices. I'm happy for them. Personally, I don't want Atrocitcus or whatever his name is. I have no need for a Golden Age Flash: DC Direct has done a dozen of them. No desperate need for a Star Boy right now. DC Direct has already done a couple of him too. Right now, the Legion doesn't need more men. The Legion needs women. Poison Ivy? The fan favorite character EVERYONE wants? Guess what, not everyone wants her. I don't. DC Direct has done a dozen of her too. I already have Poison Ivy.

Some people who collect these things have endless streams of money, that they can just drop $15.00 a pop on figures already done. I don't have an endless stream of money and even if I did, I won't waste money on something I already have. It's just not a priority. Priorities change and my priority is paying my mortgage, putting food on the table and having extra money for a social life: not to buy into a subscription for figures I already don't want and others I don't even know. Had they announced Elasti Girl? More Metal Men? Legion Women? I would have subscribed. Might they do them? Yes, if they do and offer them on a website, I'll buy. I'm not spending over $150 on toys I don't want to get those two fifteen dollar toys I do want. Because if I have to do it like that, those two fifteen dollar toys aren't really fifteen. I have to spend 150.00 first to get them. And sorry, as much as I want to complete my Doom Patrol, I ain't paying $180.00 to do it.

Moreover, DCUC is different than MOTU: MOTU has only one version of their cast. DC has changed their characters so many times, they have so many versions, you don't even know which version you're getting. You don't like the version, you're screwed if you already committed to buying it character unseen/sight unseen.

I've seen some people say they've bought 2 and 3 subs. Really? Someone has over $600 bucks to spend on frigging toys in a recessive economy? They must have great jobs, so good that they know they'll still have that job next year when you have to pay for the figures in their subs. Some of us aren't as fortunate. Others just may not be as interested as you are, or maybe they just have different priorities.

Yet we are getting 'hated on' and 'blamed' for not buying into this, as if it is the end of the world for toy collectors everywhere. It's our fault if Mattel does not go through with the Sub, it's our fault that you didn't get the action figure you want because we're not as interested in it as you or that I just have different priorities than you. And the constant bullying, trying to get people to subscribe when they don't want to is having a toxic effect, turning me off to Mattel and collecting in general.

Sorry, there are plenty of ways Mattel can offer these characters without having to 'force' me into buying TOYS I don't want or need. They can just offer them through the website, then we can pick and choose the ones we want from the ones we don't. But Mattel doesn't want to do that -- for whatever their reason. It's not economical for them to produce them without a guarantee of XX amount of product sold?

You can understand Mattel's logic but you can't understand the logic of the consumer who has to tighten their belt during a recessive economy? Guess what, it's not economically responsible for many of us to commit to buying something when we don't even know what product we're buying.

Get a grip.

Very good post. I have subscribed for 3 of each figs and I do have the income to buy them, but I don't like it very much for all the reasons you mentioned. I am a completist but I do not like the setup for figures.

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year? If the answer is "yes" then you're pretty much lying to yourself about "not being able to afford it." If the answer is "no" then you're right, maybe the subscription isn't for you.

PS: Bringing up "the economy" in an argument about toys is asinine. If you're out of a job, or having trouble making ends meet with basic necessities, then you shouldn't be buying toys at all, and I highly doubt any sane person would suggest otherwise. Toys are ultimately luxury items. By the logic you present, Mattel (and all other toymakers) should cease business operations altogether until the economy improves, which is a ludicrous expectation.

That having been said, if your personal finances are in order and you DO have the money to spend on toys, then there isn't a damn thing wrong with spending it on this subscription, "bad economy" or not, and bitching about those that do just shows your own petty jealousies. If you're going to use "the economy" as the reason you're not getting a subscription despite supposedly being a DCUC "fan" , then I sincerely hope you're not buying ANY toys right now (To include DC Direct) , because otherwise you're a hypocrite.

PPS: Not all of us collect or care for DC Direct figures. Good on you if you do. Me? I don't care to spend more for generally less-articulated, generally out-of-scale figures.

Let me confess a little secret, when a post goes for more than 3 paragraphs I skip right past it anyone else (note this not against anyone, just something I do and was wondering if anyone else did the same) lol @smilepunch@

Many people have posted with just as much wording (some even went and made a video -- a video!!!) in support of the sub, trying to bully people into subscribing. But don't worry, I didn't post with you in mind. By the same token, don't complain wondering why some people aren't subscribing. You can't spare the time to care to know all the reasons. And I've done my best to list them, for those who do care and wonder why many aren't subscribing.

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year?

Many people don't buy an entire wave. Some just pick and choose the characters they like. Having to buy two lines of figures just to get 3 random figures you may want just isn't economically reasonable in a healthy economy much less a bad one.

Many people have posted with just as much wording (some even went and made a video -- a video!!!) in support of the sub, trying to bully people into subscribing. But don't worry, I didn't post with you in mind. By the same token, don't complain wondering why some people aren't subscribing. You can't spare the time to care to know all the reasons. And I've done my best to list them, for those who do care and wonder why many aren't subscribing.

Ding-dong. If you choose not to educate yourself then keep your mouth shut.

I for one don't agree with a word you just said but it was worth reading. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I am wondering though, what this new line will be. Like many have mentioned Atrocitus is part of the main core of the DCU so how is he not included in the new line is very strange. I can't imagine what this new line will be, it seems not to make any sense whatsoever. Are we just getting brand new costume versions of all the characters we have seen so far, if so this is going to be interesting...........can't wait to hear the response after the first reveals. If I don't like it then my response will be as normal....lol

Look at the Batman Legacy line so far. Other than Bat-Mite and a couple of new head sculpts it's just repaints.

Depending how fast they push this out it could be the same thing for awhile.

Again, this "rebranding" coincides with the DC reboot. I don't have to tell you how it's been received so far.

• Like 1

It's a message board. Where the entire media is either written word or, mostly, asinine pictures. I'm more inclined to skip a three line paragraph as opposed to a longer and, most likely, more thought out post. I'm more likely going to skip a post that is poorly thrown together with horrible misspellings, improper grammar, and any lack of paragraph spacing.

I have the time to spare otherwise I wouldn't be blowing time on a website about hobbies and the superfluous aspects of my life I blow money on. But I digress...

As far as the sub goes. I cherry pick. Not out of monetary constraints, but out of not wanting certain characters. I won't be buying the DC sub the same reason I only kept the MOTU sub for one year - at the year's end I found the majority of the characters I had obtained I didn't care about.

Sure, it could be different with the DC license, but I doubt it. They are far more characters under DC's belt and an even greater number of costume variants, which just means less of a chance I get something I truly want.

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year? If the answer is "yes" then you're pretty much lying to yourself about "not being able to afford it." If the answer is "no" then you're right, maybe the subscription isn't for you.

PS: Bringing up "the economy" in an argument about toys is asinine. If you're out of a job, or having trouble making ends meet with basic necessities, then you shouldn't be buying toys at all, and I highly doubt any sane person would suggest otherwise. Toys are ultimately luxury items. By the logic you present, Mattel (and all other toymakers) should cease business operations altogether until the economy improves, which is a ludicrous expectation.

That having been said, if your personal finances are in order and you DO have the money to spend on toys, then there isn't a damn thing wrong with spending it on this subscription, "bad economy" or not, and bitching about those that do just shows your own petty jealousies. If you're going to use "the economy" as the reason you're not getting a subscription despite supposedly being a DCUC "fan" , then I sincerely hope you're not buying ANY toys right now (To include DC Direct) , because otherwise you're a hypocrite.

PPS: Not all of us collect or care for DC Direct figures. Good on you if you do. Me? I don't care to spend more for generally less-articulated, generally out-of-scale figures.

Going to play devil's advocate here.

First, what I understood after reading cvg's post is that he is getting tired of pro sub people (not everyone I must say) trying to push or bullying everyone who is not into buying one (cause otherwise they won't get all of their obscure or classic figs) I never read anything saying people should not buy them or that they were doing wrong by it. I totally agree with him on this. And again, I am neither against nor pro sub (you can read my previous posts to see where I stand).

As I stated in an earlier post, as much as anti sub people give dumb or non-existent excuses, as the deadline approaches, pro sub people have gotten increasingly vocal and passionate about the whole deal, which would be fine if they were not berating and calling people who are not getting a sub not "real fans" so much. (And I say not getting one, not just people who are trying to discourage others from buying one, which as I have said is also wrong).

Finally, bringing the economy into a toy discussion is anything but asinine, as not everyone has the same income but might have the same passion for toys than others, so the fact that someone can't or doesn't want to buy all the figures in a line, just a few of them (which might actually be within their budget) does not make them a hypocrite or any less a fan.

It's a message board. Where the entire media is either written word or, mostly, asinine pictures. I'm more inclined to skip a three line paragraph as opposed to a longer and, most likely, more thought out post. I'm more likely going to skip a post that is poorly thrown together with horrible misspellings, improper grammar, and any lack of paragraph spacing.

I have the time to spare otherwise I wouldn't be blowing time on a website about hobbies and the superfluous aspects of my life I blow money on. But I digress...

lol

• Like 1

If you flat-out can't afford the subscription then that's fine. Of course, when totalled up the subscription costs roughly the same as two waves of DCUC...so the question is: Were you going to be likely to buy two waves' worth of DCUC product in the latter half of next year?

Many people don't buy an entire wave. Some just pick and choose the characters they like. Having to buy two lines of figures just to get 3 random figures you may want just isn't economically reasonable in a healthy economy much less a bad one.

Re-read what I said. I said Two Waves' WORTH of product. Not just "Two Waves." In other words, between single-card figures, two-packs, exclusives, multipacks etc... etc... based on your prior buying habits for the DCUC line, and current financial situation, were you likely going to spend about $250 bucks (or more) in the last three quarters of next year on DCUC product? If the answer is "yes" then you can afford a sub and are lying if you say otherwise. If the answer is "no" then like I said, maybe the sub isn't for you.

First, what I understood after reading cvg's post is that he is getting tired of pro sub people (not everyone I must say) trying to push or bullying everyone who is not into buying one (cause otherwise they won't get all of their obscure or classic figs) I never read anything saying people should not buy them or that they were doing wrong by it. I totally agree with him on this. And again, I am neither against nor pro sub (you can read my previous posts to see where I stand).

As I stated in an earlier post, as much as anti sub people give dumb or non-existent excuses, as the deadline approaches, pro sub people have gotten increasingly vocal and passionate about the whole deal, which would be fine if they were not berating and calling people who are not getting a sub not "real fans" so much. (And I say not getting one, not just people who are trying to discourage others from buying one, which as I have said is also wrong).

Finally, bringing the economy into a toy discussion is anything but asinine, as not everyone has the same income but might have the same passion for toys than others, so the fact that someone can't or doesn't want to buy all the figures in a line, just a few of them (which might actually be within their budget) does not make them a hypocrite or any less a fan.

No, it is asinine. It has nothing to do with "passion" or being "less of a fan." If you say "The economy is bad so I can't buy these toys!" Then you shouldn't be buying ANY toys. To do otherwise is irresponsible. If you simply don't want the sub, then say you don't want the sub and don't care what might come in the future. Don't blame "the economy" in one breath and in the other go ordering DC Direct figures from another online retailer. IF someone is saying, "The economy won't let me buy a subscription" but still buying toys, they're lying. What they really mean is "I don't like or want the subscription enough to shift my toy-buying budget to paying for it." The simple truth would be fine (again, assuming that they don't fall into that category that probably would have spent $250+ on DCUC next year anyway, in which case they're again lying to themselves as their "toy buying budget" would have been going to DCUC anyway).

Re-read what I said. I said Two Waves' WORTH of product. Not just "Two Waves." In other words, between single-card figures, two-packs, exclusives, multipacks etc... etc... based on your prior buying habits for the DCUC line, and current financial situation, were you likely going to spend about $250 bucks (or more) in the last three quarters of next year on DCUC product? If the answer is "yes" then you can afford a sub and are lying if you say otherwise. If the answer is "no" then like I said, maybe the sub isn't for you.

No, it is asinine. It has nothing to do with "passion" or being "less of a fan." If you say "The economy is bad so I can't buy these toys!" Then you shouldn't be buying ANY toys. To do otherwise is irresponsible. If you simply don't want the sub, then say you don't want the sub and don't care what might come in the future. Don't blame "the economy" in one breath and in the other go ordering DC Direct figures from another online retailer. IF someone is saying, "The economy won't let me buy a subscription" but still buying toys, they're lying. What they really mean is "I don't like or want the subscription enough to shift my toy-buying budget to paying for it." The simple truth would be fine (again, assuming that they don't fall into that category that probably would have spent $250+ on DCUC next year anyway, in which case they're again lying to themselves as their "toy buying budget" would have been going to DCUC anyway).

I'll give you that in the specific example you are refering to, economy is just an excuse, but again, not everyone is using it, like I said before, If a person has a limited income (but still manages to have a little left over for small luxuries) it is not irresponsible at all (we are all entitled to a little guilty pleasure) to buy toys, maybe said person can afford to buy a single figure every 2 months and is perfectly happy with that (thus having to cherry pick which figures they get while being passionate about it)so in a general sense, not picking a sub for financial reasons is in fact true (and not asinine and a lie as you so harshly put it) as well as a completely legitimate reason.