Your first comic?

Lady Jaye

Devil Bat, I'm glad my topic was able to bring back some great memories of your father!! Those are the memories we need to cherish!!!

I guess my memories tie into my mom as well since it was she who I would tag along with to pick up her then boyfriend from work! We'd always stop by a store and I would grab a comic instead of candy or snacks!!

It was her that would take me to my first comic book store, Austin Books & Comics!! Such a strange world to enter to as a kid! Kind of dark place with adults all over the place?? Best part were the stacks and stacks of new comics and rows of old ones!!!

I'll always have those memories too!!

Joe Nubb, glad u liked the topic too!! I remember that issue quite well!! I was already into the Marvel U and the whole comic book world by the time that crossover came out!! But you are right, Silvestri was fabulous, his Sinister will never be topped!! Guess that's why Mr. Sinister is one of my favorite villains!!

Yes, thank you Lady Jaye. I'm glad you have some great memories of your mom as well. I miss my dad so very much. He was a really wonderful man, always wanting to entertain and tale care of everyone, always wanting everybody together to have a good time, just someone you wanted to be around all the time and just listen to and be with. He was a great artist, storyteller, jokester, craftsman, husband, singer, guitar-player...he just made everything he did look easy and was everything you could ever want in a father.

Ahh...sorry guys. To get back on topic, I remember my dad had all of his old back-issues in an old box that a pair of his workboots had come in, and one of my cousins had stayed the night and borrowed them. She never returned them. Years later he would bring it up from time to time, like it really disappointed him that my cousin never returned his comics. That was probably as close to a bonafide comic book collection that the man ever had, so it gave me the idea to get him a few issues of some titles he used to love for his birthday one year, and I wish you could have seen the man's face when he opened that gift-bag. I had gotten him an issue of Conan the Barbarian, Sgt. Rock, and The Warlord, and he absolutely loved it. It really made me happy to return at least a few issues to him. I don't know that he had those specific issues I bought him, but the issue of The Warlord I got him seemed familiar, so I'm pretty sure he had at least that one. I'm almost positive he did, because it was one of those double issues or annuals they used to do back in the day, and I remember the cover being fairly ornate and cool. I don't think he knew what to think of the plastic bags and backboards they came in though. (lol)

Some time later, when he sadly passed away, I really wanted to keep those books I had bought him as keepsakes. They meant alot to me, as did the joy they had brought him. My mom gave them to me when she went through a bunch of his stuff and found them, and I immediately placed them in my collection when I got home. I was going through some of my books the other night, and I came across those books of his. It was one of those times where you wanted to smile and cry at the same time. As long as I live, and if nothing happens to my collection, Good Lord willing, I will never get rid of those books. I will cherish them forever.

I'd like to maybe get them framed or something and hang them in my man-cave that doesn't exist yet. (lol) That'd be a great way to commemorate them, don't you think?

I'm not sure on the order, but, I'd say my introduction to comics goes back to either Marvel's Star Wars, the Batman/Superman 45 records w/ stories, or the Spidey comics in The Electric Company Magazine, followed by Marvel's G.I. Joe (#22) and Transformers #4?), and a number of old DC books I got from my grandfather. I really got into the Marvel Universe w/ issue #205 of Uncanny X-Men, 'H-J' of the Official Marvel Handbook, and issues of Marvel Tales. Those books inspired a number of crudely drawn comics and the creation of quite a few characters. ;)

Wow!Funny how these comics and action figures we collected as kids become "bookmarks" so to speak to some of the most memorable moments of our childhood.Great topic indeed!

'Bookmarks'. That's a great description.

I had forgotten I had a couple of those old Power!Comic/45 records sets. I had a couple Batman records. Those might be some of my earliest comics now that I think about it.

I was more of a DC guy. Mostly Superman. I got hooked on Marvel when the Infinity Wars came out. I liked the Doppleganger Spider-Man. And like every tween at the time (or pre-teen, as we were called then) I was big on X-Men around the time of the television series. In college it was more Daredevil and Captain America. But probably for the last 20 or so years I've been hooked on Marvel!

I actually got a whole box full of comics when I was a kid. There was a bunch of X-men Fantastic Four and Incredible Hulk. The hulk was my favorite because of the TV show so that's the comic I loved best!

I actually got a whole box full of comics when I was a kid. There was a bunch of X-men Fantastic Four and Incredible Hulk. The hulk was my favorite because of the TV show so that's the comic I loved best!

The Hulk is the best there is! haha

It's funny when people come into comics, what storylines are taking place!!

I too was a huge Hulk fan from both the animated and live action shows!!! When I got into comics, the Hulk was grey, right before he adopted his Mr. Fixit persona.

The first comic I got was him fighting Half Life!!! Great issue that also had the Leader!! Oh and Todd McFarlane was pencilling at the time!!! What a great intro to Hulk, if I would way!!

First I fully Remember would have to be junior high and they were early Fantastic Four. I remember #97...loved that cover. been a collector ever since and own some covers I always loved including FF #48-51

sorry about this double post..don't remember double clicking?

I've read others before this I am sure but the one I remember most is jim lee xmen #1 was the first marvel i brought from a actual comic store

Micronauts and Captain America...jeeez im old, ive been buying cap since I was like 7 or 8...lol. I think I bought Micronauts number 1 and whatever issue of cap that was at my local 7-11, no such thing as a comic book store back then in Vegas. I remember when Micro went direct sales only, took me a few years to get those issues. Those were my fist comics, I still own that ratty copy of micronauts. I mean I only read it around a million times.

Wow, small friggin world!!!! Born and raised in Austin, and the drag was a fave hangout!! And yes, Funny Papers was another spot for comics!! But it wasn't my main scene for comics!!

So where u at now?? What shops around you, if any??

You know, this one shop in far North Austin, whose name eludes me, was a Dave of mine too!! They always had artists and other famous people signing!! Probably one of my favorite signings was Clive Barker!!! He was very down to earth, and talked a lot!!!

Also got my Death of Superman comic signed at another signing!

It brings back great memories of taking a bus way down there with friends and making a day of it!! Shopping for Toy Biz figures at Target and K-Mart, catching a flick, and having lunch!! Oh and some comic signings and some video game playing at the arcade!!! Good times, good memories!!!

I was born in raised in (South) Austin too! Lived here all my life. Well in Bastrop for a couple of years, then I moved to Manchaca where I live now. :) Small world indeed. BTW, I went to UT from '99 to about 2002ish

To answer the question- geez! I'm sure it was an X-men comic in the 80's. My cousin's the one who got me hooked on Marvel and Joes way back when. Thanks cuz :P

Wow, a South Austinite!! My youth was spent in central Austin, Hyde Park area to be exact!! If you went to UT, u might know where that is!!

To stay on topic:

Now my first X-Men comic was during the Mutant Massacre storyline, that's where the Marauders became my all time favorite villain team!! Later on to find out that Sinister was their leader, solidified him as my all time favorite X-Villain!!!

Great time to read comics!!!

Wow!Funny how these comics and action figures we collected as kids become "bookmarks" so to speak to some of the most memorable moments of our childhood.Great topic indeed!

I had forgotten I had a couple of those old Power!Comic/45 records sets. I had a couple Batman records. Those might be some of my earliest comics now that I think about it.

I had a couple of these as well.

I remember listening to the Fantastic Four record on my "Welcome back Kotter" record player in the day!

the first book that I actually picked up and read was Deadly Foes of Spiderman #2. I went to the grocery store with my stepmom and she offered.. so I was like, okay cool.

a little later, I picked up #3 at the same store.. and then #4.

And then I realized I needed #1.. so I went to the comic store and that was it for me... I was all over comics like crazy.

this was the early 90's.. I didn't want to jump right in the middle of any series because I realized it would be too difficult to go back and get issues that I missed. so at the same time I started my collection with Ghost Rider, Namor, and Darkhawk... as those were the series that were starting with #1's at the time... and ones I could get on with at the beginning.

I remember listening to the Fantastic Four record on my "Welcome back Kotter" record player in the day!

Awesome! I spent many a day listening to 45s and those storybook sets. I had Star Wars, ESB, and a bunch of Disney ones. This is before cassettes even. We are so old... :):D

Awesome! I spent many a day listening to 45s and those storybook sets. I had Star Wars, ESB, and a bunch of Disney ones. This is before cassettes even. We are so old... :):D

You know i remember all those record items myself when i was a kid. I didnt own a record player (at least my parents didnt) so i never owned one. I think i'll pick one up

sometime soon and finally check it out.