Wal-Mart Exclusive DCUC Crime Syndicate of America 5-Pack Found At Retail For $80

The Wire

If i find this im getting it.Its just like paying 16 dollers for a figure.& my limit on prices for figures are 30.It also depends who it is.@gambit@

Found it at Wal-Mart yesterday and picked it up. Definitely the best 5-pack so far (probably has the most new tooling of any 5-pack so far, too). Owlman is one of the best DCUC figures yet made, Ultraman is a vast improvement over his previous 2-pack version, and the paint apps are sharp on all the figures. My only wish/disappointment is that I'd have preferred the Frank Quitely/Grant Morrison versions of Power Ring and Johnny Quick (especially since Johnny Quick's bio even mentions his helmet). Or at least a helmet for Johnny Quick. A lasso for Superwoman would've been nice, too, especially for the price of the overall pack.

I'm sure this will end up on clearance after the holidays if it ships in the same numbers as the last five packs. Then again it's entirely possible orders for this one were much lower than the other two, "caveat emptor" and all that. I wanted the figs and could afford them, so I paid full price. If some of the rest of you manage to get a deal later on down the road, good on ya.

Also a bit bittersweet, as the arms and legs for Owlman would make it pretty easy for Mattel to make a "modern" Dr. Mid-Nite (a character I was really hoping to see at some point) but with the subscription likely not happening, that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Rationalizing? why is that so bad? Hell you just speaking what you think and what you said made sense

It's not. But some people who just want to blame Mattel for everything think otherwise.

People blame the toy companies cause it's the easiest target but honestly I don't think they really care that much who is to blame they just know something is to expensive for what they get and therefore quit buying it. You can justify till the cows come home why things are the way they are but in the end you get to a point where you just have priced yourself out of the market, and that point I think is fast approaching with action figures. I think that's what happened with the comic book industry and now your seeing it with these things.

Well it's a good thing TNI doesn't represent toy buying America because the less intelligent members of our community are pinning every problem DCUC has on Mattel when the big chain retailers, DC and Warner Brothers all have vested interests ERRRR money involved in this license.

You're right about pricing though. At some point one has to wonder if you'll be able to afford to walk down the toy aisle.

Logically speaking, there will have to be a breaking point where people will simply stop buying in enough numbers to justify any given lines' existence. When that happens to enough lines, the retailers and manufacturers will have no choice but to lower prices or go out of business. Toy prices have risen disproportionately to inflation, but that's largely because there are a lot of other things that go into toymaking that bump up the costs (their manufacture is more petroleum-heavy than many other products, for example). It's also worth noting that most retailers are selling toys for anywhere from $1-$5 ABOVE the manufacturer's "suggested retail prices." Basically, from what I can tell, the retailers, who are hurting in a bad economy, are desperately trying to pad their profit margins on "luxury" items like toys. I guess they figure if folks still have the money to buy toys they should have the money to pay a little extra for them. Plus that "padded" price allows the retailers to occasionally put the items "on sale" without really sacrificing that much profit.

Then again, we're talking about a community that has segments that eagerly shell out $20 (and nowadays often $40 or $60 or more) per month, plus shipping for whatever MotUC stuff Mattel is putting out that month.

I would have scoffed at the idea even a year ago, but I'm honestly beginning to wonder if the future of collector-oriented action figures is indeed in "online subscriptions" catering solely to the hardest of hardcore.

yeah the ebay prices are crazy what's worse is looking at them being sold as single figures and the one i want owlman seems to go for the most over $30 where superwoman and johnny quick go for about 15-20

Its ridiculous what people are asking for these on ebay and such. Making me really not want to get it. Also with BM Legacy wave 2. I'm not buying each figure for 30 or more. Or $140 for all 5. I'll have to wait it out or hope these get better prices on amazon or BBTS or something. Mhm @grumpy@

I don't know what Ironspider has seen, but on ebay the Batman Legacy Wave 2 figs are pretty cheap.......the loose ones at least, I haven't checked into the MOC ones.

I went to 1 Kmart and 1 Walmart outside my normal stores and they had nothing. I hate hunting, hunting sucks and it costs so much money.

Man I want that Crime Syndicate pack, seriously the Owlman design is simply one of the best comic book character outfits ever! I really want that Ultraman too, he looks like the type of asshat who would fly at top speed and bellyflop right into a mountain side just for the sheer fun of it to kill some people. Power Ring is also cool too, Sinestro is one thing but there is hardly ever has been alternate stories of a bad version of Green Lantern outside the Syndicate. I can't wait for this pack.

I don't know what Ironspider has seen, but on ebay the Batman Legacy Wave 2 figs are pretty cheap.......the loose ones at least, I haven't checked into the MOC ones.

All the MOC ones I've looked into are 30 or bucks more for each. Plus shipping. That Batman&Batmite one goes for like 50 bucks. I dont buy loose, so I'll just have to wait til BBTS gets them.

I know it says that. I know its a k-mart exclusive and all, but it seems weird to me. So every other place that gets Batman is just going to have a empty spot in the packaging? I dont know, just nevermind.

Toybiz did something similar with the Marvel Legends Silver Surfer. The first releases had the Howard the Duck pack in, and later releases removed him from the package.

I went to every Walmart I could find between southern IL all the way back to Philadelphia and found not a single box set OR tag for this item. I don't know if they just haven't hit in full force yet, but people are scrambling. Prices for this set are skyrocketing on ebay reaching over 100 bucks and that is not including shipping. Individual Ultraman and Owlman figs are hitting above 35 bucks.