GI Joe Weaker After Rise Of Cobra

xhairs

so it looks like hasbro is doing it agin with the joe 2 and putting everything else on hold till the movie drops .the 30anny line was pushed up and now back while the movie toys should come out at the same time. it seems they didn't learn from the last one.now this makes no sense as that mean we are not going to have any new product in stores to keep the kids into joe. so they will forget about the line agin then like the article says. look at what happen with roc and how bad that was for joe.

I know hasbro is tiring there best to bring joe in to the forefront agin but they need to keep new product on the shelves. TF has had product on the shelves right up to the movie. also with what walmart did by dropping the line from a lot of there store and now just getting them back they are going to have a gap in the line.

also they need to work on the code for the new waves vs old waves as my walmart is now ordering wave 2 of poc agin. here is what they need to do right now IMO. 1) a toy commercial for whats out there 2) stick with a GOOD toon that is good for kids and us to tie in the history and future of joe 3)no matter what keep it on the air.

GI Joe Weaker After Rise Of Cobra

Richard Gottlieb of the Gifts And Decorative Accessories site, has recently posted an article debating if movie tie-ins are good for toy brands. While his article goes over the success of Cars 2 toys for Mattel, it also questions if a bad movie will doom a toy brand/line. Interestingly enough, GI Joe does come up in the discussion:

So, the question is how many of the children who leave Hot Wheels for the latest Cars themed products come back to Hot Wheels? In addition, what is the impact of a bad movie on an evergreen? My sources tell me that GI Joe has not recovered its former strength since the ill-fated movie came out. Rather than see it as a traditional toy, children who saw the movie saw it as just one of last summer's tie-in movies. Once the movie was done, they moved on to the next movie.

Movie tie-ins are important to the toy industry and no one is suggesting we back off. We may, however, want to think twice about the overall impact of a movie tie-in on the long term health of our highest value brands.

You may notice that the 1st live action Transformers Movie line broke the stigma(especially during that time...the Spiderman 3 and Pirates Of The Carribean lines weren't flying off of shelves) that "movie toys don't sell". Since 2007, plenty of movie toys have graced, and warmed, the shelves, even those tied into blockbuster hits such as Star Trek, and Avatar(to name a few). Unlike other movie toylines, the 2007 Transformers Movie line could not keep supply up with demand. Sure there have been other successful movie toy lines in recent years, but it's safe to say that most movie toylines weren't outright successes.

With the GI Joe 30th Anniversary line seeming shorter than expected, and GI Joe Renegades On Hiatus, it does seem like Hasbro is putting more effort into GI Joe II.

However, do you think this is the right direction to go in? It definitely seems that GI Joe II will be notably different from Rise Of Cobra, but do you think it's worth the risk, depending on the next movie to reinvigorate the GI Joe brand? Note that aside from the IDW GI Joe Comics, GI Joe II is the only big media tie-in planned for 2012. Any new animated series will come afterwards.

Ever since JoeCon 2010 we've been hearing that GI Joe II will be notably different from Rise Of Cobra. Anywhere from Brian Goldner stating that "In many ways, it'll be great for the people who saw the first one, but you don't need to have studied every element of the first one to enjoy the second. We've made sure that that's the case.", to director Jon Chu wanting a Gritty GI Joe 2. Now according to allkpop by way of BH Entertainment(agency for Storm Shadow actor Lee Byung Hun), GI Joe II will have a "different appeal":

Lee Byung Hun’s agency, BH Entertainment, stated, “After leaving for America yesterday, he is trying to adjust to the time difference and also further analyze his character. After spending time to prepare for his film, he is planning to concentrate on filming. Please expect for ‘Storm Shadow’ and a different appeal.”

Just little more than year to see how different GI Joe II will turn out to be.

• Like 1

Well my situation is different Hasbro puts out these crappy Transformers movie figures and they waste all there time and that.I hate the movie and feel like transformers have abandond me .So I have been collecting other lines that I wouldn't have the chance too.

This has to be very disapointing and fustraing to you hardcore fans I understand as I said on anothe thread within the last couple of year transformers did the same thing.Now you only have the NY Toy Fair to see if anything new comes about and that a long wait till february

I would of loved to had the Renegades line now holding it off I just recently realized by the time they come out either the toon will be shown in repeats or not at all.So how will there core base the kids want a figure for a toon that no longer exists?

Toons are like the flavor of the month for kids if its out of site its out of mind

I can some up GIJoe's troubles with one word:

Consistency

I actually sat down the other day and tried to really come up with 16-20 modern versions of the characters I hold dear in my heart. I looked though YOJOE for a couple hours, and i came to the conclusion that Hasbro really has no direction when it comes to GIJOE. It's like they have a new team with new managers every...what year?

I got pissed on here because I said that I think Hasbro should re-introduce GIJOE into the modern times...set the original characters to the age they should be. Keep a core of them and create a NEW line of characters. No one really liked this, so that tells me that fans want their Snake-Eyes' and Dukes...and Destros and CCs. So why the hell doesn't Hasbro create a universe that is FREAKIN' consistent????

Look at what we have had:

25th - Solid and lasted for a couple-three years. The last time Joes were "really" popular (because they were based on a line that was...consistent????) and easy to find at retail. Based on ARAH

ROC - One bang and basically done. Lasted a year. New story - Based on movie

Resolute - Great toon..Decent figs...suckass support. New story - Based on toon.

POC - Decently based on ROC...kinda?? NO media support. Horrible later wave distribution. Created a couple repaint waves - Horrible.

Renegades - Great figures. Based on a cancelled cartoon. New Story.

As horrible as the movie was, ROC should have been the starting point of a line of figures, comic books, and a cartoon. Hasbro owns the damn property so they could have created a rich universe that could have become like a Star Wars. Great toy sales during movie years...and limited years between with TV and comic support. Instead we get...a movie, a cartoon based nothing on the movie universe, then another cartoon based nothing on the previous 2 universes, then a movie that tells us we don't really need to see the first one to enjoy the second.

This is why we have 8 Snake-Eyes figures...a couple new Dukes every year...CC...Destro. They have to be reintroduced each time in a new story instead of "developed".

Hasbro? Just create a team that can handle a 4-5 year project. Pick a media outlet and stick with it by planning first...and spending the money on a creative mind like Hama.

Now we are seeing their current batch of 30th figs in limbo because of GIJOE II. Cripes, Hasbro...I could see if this was Lucasfilm putting out a suprise Star Wars movie, but YOU own the Joe property!!!! This tells me that you don't really love the line or have the leadership that understands how to properly plan and maintain a product.

• Like 2

That seems to be a going theme in a lot of toylines, and for that fact a lot of tv,comics,movies,etc...

The constant need to change things just to change them...nothing can stay consistant...rebooting for rebooting sake...

I can't collect Transformers because there is no consistant line of toys...the same character names are used all over the place for different toys based on who knows what.

G.I.Joe had built some momentum I felt with the 25th. anniversary line but the movie seemed to kill that.

I have never been that impressed with movie toys to begin with but the G.I.Joe movie toy line seemed worse than usual to me....I pretty much skipped it.

I can some up GIJoe's troubles with one word:

Consistency

I actually sat down the other day and tried to really come up with 16-20 modern versions of the characters I hold dear in my heart. I looked though YOJOE for a couple hours, and i came to the conclusion that Hasbro really has no direction when it comes to GIJOE. It's like they have a new team with new managers every...what year?

I got pissed on here because I said that I think Hasbro should re-introduce GIJOE into the modern times...set the original characters to the age they should be. Keep a core of them and create a NEW line of characters. No one really liked this, so that tells me that fans want their Snake-Eyes' and Dukes...and Destros and CCs. So why the hell doesn't Hasbro create a universe that is FREAKIN' consistent????

Look at what we have had:

25th - Solid and lasted for a couple-three years. The last time Joes were "really" popular (because they were based on a line that was...consistent????) and easy to find at retail. Based on ARAH

ROC - One bang and basically done. Lasted a year. New story - Based on movie

Resolute - Great toon..Decent figs...suckass support. New story - Based on toon.

POC - Decently based on ROC...kinda?? NO media support. Horrible later wave distribution. Created a couple repaint waves - Horrible.

Renegades - Great figures. Based on a cancelled cartoon. New Story.

As horrible as the movie was, ROC should have been the starting point of a line of figures, comic books, and a cartoon. Hasbro owns the damn property so they could have created a rich universe that could have become like a Star Wars. Great toy sales during movie years...and limited years between with TV and comic support. Instead we get...a movie, a cartoon based nothing on the movie universe, then another cartoon based nothing on the previous 2 universes, then a movie that tells us we don't really need to see the first one to enjoy the second.

This is why we have 8 Snake-Eyes figures...a couple new Dukes every year...CC...Destro. They have to be reintroduced each time in a new story instead of "developed".

Hasbro? Just create a team that can handle a 4-5 year project. Pick a media outlet and stick with it by planning first...and spending the money on a creative mind like Hama.

Now we are seeing their current batch of 30th figs in limbo because of GIJOE II. Cripes, Hasbro...I could see if this was Lucasfilm putting out a suprise Star Wars movie, but YOU own the Joe property!!!! This tells me that you don't really love the line or have the leadership that understands how to properly plan and maintain a product.

oh i hear ya they cant keep a good thing going and ROc killed what ever stem joe had and now they are going agin to put everything on a movie. they need to go back to basics and stick with one idea and play it out. mix of old and new for all of us. also they need to stop thinking cuse it says joe on it we will buy it.

• Like 1

Agreed, Hasbro is investing too much in movie lines, Thor is on clearance, and the Cap. toys are big time shelve warmers right now too. Another GI Joe movie line is going to clog the shelves up until 2014, I still see the old movie figs on shelves around Portland. Very disappointed. Weren't they supposed to come out with a DTC program soon? Haven't seen anything about that at SDCC.

I really would like to get some of the actual sales numbers for the different lines before I make an accurate assesment on this situation. To say that the 25th line was a smashing success without any raw data to back it up is just as absurd as saying that any other line was a failure without the same data. Just because something was a peg warmer in your area does not reflect the overall sales numbers. I am not going to go out there and say that Joe has sold better before or after the movie. In my area the sales have been the same. 25th turned into clearance peg warmers just as easily as any other line. And honestly, the movie product moved faster in some stores. I don't think we can blame a movie for anything sales wise just yet. Like I said, show me some good data, and I'll make my decision. Until then, it's all speculation on any of us based off of what we see in our area. And those are often skewed views based off of our personal feelings about the line or movie in general. Show me some dollars and cents and I'm pretty sure we could all make a reasonable decision without our emotions getting involved.

• Like 2

I really would like to get some of the actual sales numbers for the different lines before I make an accurate assesment on this situation. To say that the 25th line was a smashing success without any raw data to back it up is just as absurd as saying that any other line was a failure without the same data. Just because something was a peg warmer in your area does not reflect the overall sales numbers. I am not going to go out there and say that Joe has sold better before or after the movie. In my area the sales have been the same. 25th turned into clearance peg warmers just as easily as any other line. And honestly, the movie product moved faster in some stores. I don't think we can blame a movie for anything sales wise just yet. Like I said, show me some good data, and I'll make my decision. Until then, it's all speculation on any of us based off of what we see in our area. And those are often skewed views based off of our personal feelings about the line or movie in general. Show me some dollars and cents and I'm pretty sure we could all make a reasonable decision without our emotions getting involved.

i wish we could too but that will never happen. so we have to go by how much product was made and how long the lines lasted.

• Like 1

I think G.I.Joe fans are going to be G.I.Joe fans regardless. They hooked me back in the 60's and 70's and most of you guys in the 80's. I don't think the movie served to "hook" all that many NEW/young fans, if that is the question?

• Like 1

Yeah I don't know if you guys have noticed but you go to any boys action figure toy aisle these days and I would say 95% of the product you will see there on the shelves is based on some movie or television show. I know we as adult collectors are not big fans of movie lines in general but its obviously what sells the best for retailers and why they choose to carry it over non-movie lines and it really takes a movie behind it to get retailers interested in it. That being said the first GIJoe movie did not seem to resonate well with kids and even though the product was picked up by retailers it didn't sell as well as was expected. I think that had more to do with it not resonating with kids or parents than collectors, though not resonating with collectors certainly made it worse. So yes I think Joe is in a very weak state right now and like it or not there is going to be a lot riding on Joe's future with this second movie.

i wish we could too but that will never happen. so we have to go by how much product was made and how long the lines lasted.

Yeah Crimson Twins you have to go buy what's on the shelf and how fast it moves.

Don't look at quarterly reports or anything like that:

http://youbentmywookie.com/news/transformers-and-gi-joes-help-hasbros-boosts-q3-profits-7423

http://seekingalpha.com/article/167333-hasbro-q3-2009-earnings-call-transcript

"If you look at the performance of G.I. Joe compared to other first-time movie backed properties, it performed extraordinarily well. In fact, this year we expect revenues in excess of $100 million for G.I. Joe, which is over three times bigger than it was last year."

In case anyone wants to dispute that it's illegal to mislead shareholders. I don't know about you but I wouldn't accuse Hasbro of a crime without evidence.

Everyone here can cry about how the movies suck and the figures are ugly but the fact of the matter is these movie/tv figures are making big moolah. And for those of you who care Transformers raked it in last quarter.

One day everyone here will realize kids and their parents buy more toys than collectors and that's that.

Another member mentioned how kids are fickle. One week it's Thor, the next week it's G.I. Joe, the next week it's Cap. Who benefits? You already know the answer.

• Like 1

And just so we're clear I totally agree that poor figures and poor movies cheapen things like G.I. Joe, a true piece of Americana, but businesses are in the, um, business of making money.

Star Wars, all three Transformers and G.I. Joe tie-in lines have brought in the dough. From a business standpoint there's no reason to break from that formula.

Numbers only show whether something has sold or not, it doesn't really show WHO bought it. I can't say for certain WHO is really buying the majority of these action figures, but I know that collectors certainly scalp and hoard a good portion of them. Collectors all seem to be on a similar brainwave, and if there's an action figure worth owning, even if it's amongst an entire series of crap figures, that ONE figure will never be spotted at retail (by the average collector or child) and even online shops will be OUT OF STOCK of it within a day or marked up to a ridiculous price.

Most of these movie line action figures warm the pegs and end up at Big Lots or something. I can go to any retail store today and pick up practically any Iron Man figure I could want, Star Wars figure almost as easily, Thor, Green Lantern action figures and even the majority of the Captain America stuff, save for those ONE or TWO COLLECTOR must haves, that we'll never see anywhere like a Crossbones. Anybody need some Pirates of the Caribbean toys?? @haha@ I can hooky ya up! Anything ya want! I got a direct line to getting a hoild of anything and everything ya want! I have contacts! I can grab up some Terminator and even a good portion of the Avatar line! @smilepunch@

Kids aren't biting all that much on the G.I.Joe stuff, yet Hasbro keeps putting it out there? Why? Somebody has to be buying a lot of it, and if the kids are still the "target" and they still haven't hit the bulls-eye yet....that would tell me that collectors are still keeping the line above water, but that's just a theory, since (like I stated before) we can't see actual stats on the WHO is buying, just that the product was bought.

• Like 1

I’m frustrated too and YES, consistency is really important to me big time. I get burned every time Hasbro reinvents the wheel. It’s probably clear that we are pretty much at the mercy of the movies’ success. Hasbro should just go the MOTU route and make consistent, quality, classic figures and have the run-of-the-mil junk sold en masse to the retailers. We’re almost there anyway with $15 a figure and pathetic distribution.

we are not going to have any new product in stores to keep the kids into joe.

What about new product to even keep just the collectors into GI Joe?

I don't know about most of you, but my interest in GI Joe has gone downhill over the last few months. POC had me really excited about GI Joe again...which lasted all of about two to three months, and then GI Joe goes into this lull again, where we get no new product and no new news.

At this point, I've even been contemplating selling a lot of my loose 25th stuff, and just keeping my vintage Joes so I can make room for other toy lines like MOTUC.

For some reason...all this talk of waning interest in G.I. Joe has only made me more interested inexplicably. I've been right where some of you guys are lately; stuff has been scarce in stores, and I've just about got all of the Anniversary stuff I wanted. I don't buy the comics anymore...I don't know what it is. I guess it's just been easy to forget about G.I. Joe when you're: A. broke (lol), and B. you can't find anything even when you do have money. Yeah, you can get stuff online, but...ahh, maybe I've just been caught up in other things, but for whatever the reason, I had lost interest, like many of you have, and so it was the perfect time for G.I. Joe to go to the backburner.

But there's hope. I have yet to buy any Sideshow figures, so there's something to be excited about. There also looks to be some cool 30th Anniversay figures on tap, and there are tons of vintage figures I don't have that I'd still like to get. I'm also maintaining a positive attitude about the next film as the casting shows some promise. And there's always the classic Marvel Comics issues I'd like to backtrack and get...

Heck, I was even inspired to go to my man-cave and drag out a bunch of my loose figures. They needed some organizing anyway, but I also wanted to look through what I have again. I go so long between times looking at it that I forget about what I have. (lol) For example, I was digging through my figures and putting their weapons and accessories in plastic baggies and the figures in tackle boxes, and I discovered I have a loose 25th Anniversay Iron Grenadiers Destro. Hey...that's the great thing about having a terrible memory and being a collector; every so often it's like Christmas Morning all over again! (lol)

I've even been watching Rise of Cobra and checking out the figures I have. Though not perfect by any means, I still think both the movie and the toys are highly underrated. But that's for another thread...

I guess what I'm trying to say is I hadn't given G.I. Joe much thought lately, and you guys have reminded me that I still love it but have been neglecting it lately. And the SDCC stuff has only reminded me that there's some cool stuff still coming out and floating around out there that I'd love to have.

P.S. I made a suprising discovery last night while fiddling with my 25th Anniversay Airborne; I was trying to remove his vest/webgear so I could re-connect the little fastener on the side that had come loose (which by the way is nearly impossible to get off) and in the process of prying it off I noticed that the torso bends forward! I thought that the torso joint in the new figure design just swiveled back and forth like a traditional swivel joint. That was a very cool discovery, and if I already knew it, apparently I had forgotten it. (See? I told you my memory stinks.) (lol)

My interest is starting to go downhill as well. I was super stoked about POC when it came out. And then there was nothing. The next few waves were harder to find and there wasn't much that really caught my interest. Now it seems like the first offerings of the 30th Anniversary are going to be fairly weak. They've really got nothing going on right now to keep my interest. Maybe it's for the best since I can't go out on the hunt until next year.

I'm also thinking about moving out almost all of my RAH collection (minus my CGs, of course) to make room for the rest of my toys. My love for the classic stuff has really fallen off lately.

Maybe they should think about a doing the GI Joe /Tranformers crossover to help reboot it it instead of depending on another movie

You could still have a movie line too

if they did it right it might work or it could back fire its a hard call.

Numbers only show whether something has sold or not, it doesn't really show WHO bought it. I can't say for certain WHO is really buying the majority of these action figures, but I know that collectors certainly scalp and hoard a good portion of them. Collectors all seem to be on a similar brainwave, and if there's an action figure worth owning, even if it's amongst an entire series of crap figures, that ONE figure will never be spotted at retail (by the average collector or child) and even online shops will be OUT OF STOCK of it within a day or marked up to a ridiculous price.

Most of these movie line action figures warm the pegs and end up at Big Lots or something. I can go to any retail store today and pick up practically any Iron Man figure I could want, Star Wars figure almost as easily, Thor, Green Lantern action figures and even the majority of the Captain America stuff, save for those ONE or TWO COLLECTOR must haves, that we'll never see anywhere like a Crossbones. Anybody need some Pirates of the Caribbean toys?? @haha@ I can hooky ya up! Anything ya want! I got a direct line to getting a hoild of anything and everything ya want! I have contacts! I can grab up some Terminator and even a good portion of the Avatar line! @smilepunch@

Kids aren't biting all that much on the G.I.Joe stuff, yet Hasbro keeps putting it out there? Why? Somebody has to be buying a lot of it, and if the kids are still the "target" and they still haven't hit the bulls-eye yet....that would tell me that collectors are still keeping the line above water, but that's just a theory, since (like I stated before) we can't see actual stats on the WHO is buying, just that the product was bought.

im with you on all this. i went from buying every fig in every wave till roc hit now i pick and chose and there are alot i pass over now. they have no real backing for joe that kids will get in to. the canned res for roc and now they did it agin for roc 2 with renegades. i disliked reng as it was a rip off of to many other tv shows. they had no toys to back up the show. till next yr some time but thats now to late. Hasbro needs to have the toys on the shelves and have a good toon to back it up. also they need to stop cutting a line off and then have to rush to get us toys for that line.

the movie toys are big for retailers but they dont move to well besides TFs movie line. the prob comes in is hat the stores order way to much product of the first 2waves and its hard to get any after that. thats what happen to roc as the stores had so much of the first 3 waves they had no room to get new stuff also the toys sucked and hasbro said they hated working on the line. also they cut off the 25th off for how many mos before the movie hit?. now they are doing it agin. they pushed up the 30anny line so it wont hit when the movie toys hit and now they push it back and will get canned for the movie stuff. they need to do a few things to make joe strong agin here is what i think they need to do.

1)have a good toon where it gets us and kids back in to the line.

2)have a toy line to go with the toon.

3)keep toys on the shelves all the way up to the movie or next line of joes. no more mos with out any new product.

4)make sure stores order the new stuff not the older waves.(my walmart is getting wave 1 & 2 of poc agin.)so have dif numbers for each wave.

5)dont hype up something that you will just can anyway just give it a chance to see how it goes. look at RES they hyped that up and then made it in to a 1hr movie. or 25th they thought it would only be good for a few 5 packs and it took off. look at poc same thing.

6)HTS needs to restock and get the new waves up on there site. i mean come on its hasbros own store and they cant keep the HTF items in stock or get the new waves up there.

7)have some toy commercials agin for the line. my god how will kids know about the line if they dont have commercials to sell there stuff.

8) get a team leader for the line and stick with them for more then a yr or so.

9) plan to make the line a success not just a yr long line or 6mos line. so make sure you have enough to last a yr or 2 to give you enough time to make some more and better toys not lazy ass LBCs ie crazy legs. if the line does well.

10)try and give us 2 lines even if one is on HTS only while the movie is out. like S6 and DTC .

Some good ideas there. But it just seems the guys that are running things now have their own agenda. I will just keep picking and choosing from whatever is out there. And if there ends up being nothing, then I will go after the ones that I missed along the way. My passion for the Joe line has long since subsided. It's no where near what it was to me just a few short years ago. Can't win them all. I'll just pick my battles where I can.