wave 20

shokker

The vote is for the subscription exclusive figure only, not single figures to be offered from month to month.

yeah i saw that earlier thats why i decided to get the sub any way in hope for good things to come. lol

But you don't have to buy a subscription to get him. Just buy him on the day he comes out.

I'm sure the Masters of the Universe fans will have something to say about that...

I hope enough people do buy subscriptions so Mattel doesn't say "Sorry, the numbers weren't there" and cancel it, but if the service does go as planned, only the poll winner(Metron, most likely) won't be available to non subscribers.

And who knows what that number is. It takes a lot to make a profit these days.

And going by the con reports, the line itself is not really ending, any more than DCSH "ended" in 2007.

I never said it was ending. Everyone else is saying "It's over it's over it's over!" because they're not reading Jay C's report.

It sounds like the Matty stuff will focus more on the collector-friendly characters.

When hasn't it? This is why DCUC is in the position it's in now, because Mattel let the Four Horsemen do whatever they wanted and that led to numerous figures the average toy collector didn't want.

Save the exclusive Wave 5, no one had a problem finding Waves 1-4 and 6, did they?

F*ck Metron! WHy would i want to support a figure i'm sure not to get without a sub?

Because you're never going to see him otherwise.

Get this through your head: A line that's 100 percent collector-friendly no longer has a place at retail. It's a miracle with the hard on the Four Horseman has for Super Powers the line hasn't been cancelled entirely.

• Like 1

At the very least they could of offered like 3 figures a month. This will be a huge break in the wallet but an even bigger break in my heart. Might not be a bad thing, let's see how this all pans out for the future. The saddest part is that some people are complaining about the most recent waves that were geared towards collectors, well this is what we always wanted but the climate just isn't right for this type of line. It seems that the price point more than anything killed this line but I can't imagine it being products sold or peg warmers. No company clogs more shelves than Hasblow with Marvel and GI Joe product yet they never get trounced by critics and fans alike. Part of the problem is that I believe Mattel as a whole just doesn't care too much about these products, they are probably a drop in the bucket as far as lines go and the company doesn't see the point of focusing so much energy towards them. I will be surprised if they cannot generate enough interest from these online.

Is Mattel and Hasblow doing a bait and shift, once DCUC took off, Marvel Legends went away, now that DCUC is going away Legends are coming back. I really thought DCUC would have had more waves than Marvel legends but that didn't happen. Interesting.

EDIT::::

I was listening to other people and responding to that. The line is not going away, just changing

At the very least they could of offered like 3 figures a month. This will be a huge break in the wallet but an even bigger break in my heart. Might not be a bad thing, let's see how this all pans out for the future. The saddest part is that some people are complaining about the most recent waves that were geared towards collectors, well this is what we always wanted but the climate just isn't right for this type of line. It seems that the price point more than anything killed this line but I can't imagine it being products sold or peg warmers. No company clogs more shelves than Hasblow with Marvel and GI Joe product yet they never get trounced by critics and fans alike. Part of the problem is that I believe Mattel as a whole just doesn't care too much about these products, they are probably a drop in the bucket as far as lines go and the company doesn't see the point of focusing so much energy towards them. I will be surprised if they cannot generate enough interest from these online.

Actually it's mostly me blaming it on character selection so there's no need to play softball.

Your missing the point about collector friendly lines. What do you see in your toy aisle?

Star Wars-Cultural phenomenon with a tv show tie-in

Transformers-movie tie-in

Green Lantern-movie tie-in

Toy Story-movie tie-in

Pirates of the Caribbean-movie tie-in

WWE-tv show tie-in

Batman: The Brave and the Bold-tv show tie-in

Ben 10-tv show tie-in

Captain America-movie tie-in

Thor-movie tie-in

Iron Man-movie tie-in

DC Action League-aimed at kids with no tie-in

Marvel Universe-Collector/kid friendly hybrid with no tie-in

DC Universe Classics-Collector line with no tie-in

See a pattern developing?

Then there's character selection. Look at Wave 14, currently clogging the shelves at my local Wal-Mart. We see Zatanna, Hourman and Kamandi. Others see questionably dressed magician chick, dude with a yellow hoodie and a shirtless hippie wearing jorts. Exactly how are these appealing to children?

You may consider blaming character selection "sad" but so is saying price hikes are to blame. I don't see any other toy lines going down in price yet remarkably people buy them. On top of that DCUC's in my area are on clearance for $11 (which what they were two and a half years ago) and have been for two months. No one wants them.

Should we talk about distribution next?

The Dark Knight

Green Lantern

Toy Story

Barbie

WWE

Hot Wheels

I see an abundance of those Mattel lines at the store. One (two if you count JLU) line out of many and Mattel has a "distribution" problem. Or maybe they have a "Wal-Mart and Target know very few people will buy this stuff so they don't want it" problem.

As for your "No company clogs more shelves than Hasbro with Marvel and GI Joe product yet they never get trounced by critics and fans alike" assertion, well, it's probably because everyone gets what they want.

Look at the recently announced Marvel Legends Wave. Yay to the Wrecking Crew, yay to Madame Masque.

But look! Another Cap (doesn't he have a movie out or something?) and "Big Time" Spider-Man, whatever that is. Granted, it's a Bucky Cap, but aren't collector's sick of both these guys?

I'll bet the kids aren't. Same thing with G.I. Joe. Fanboys may be sick of Duke and Snake Eyes but kids aren't.

That's why I had very few problems finding Marvel Legends figures. It may have been annoying buying 30 Wolverine figures but at least I got them.

And then there's the "Mattel doesn't care too much" part. Twenty waves, several multi-packs, exclusive figures, a chance of survival at their Web Site and millions of dollars spent on the brand but Mattel doesn't care. Too Much.

Is Mattel and Hasbro doing a bait and shift, once DCUC took off, Marvel Legends went away, now that DCUC is going away Legends are coming back. I really thought DCUC would have had more waves than Marvel legends but that didn't happen. Interesting.

As for this theory, Marvel Legends has had a presence in toy stores since 2008 and DCUC will have a presence in the future as indicated by Jay C.

And worry not about waves. Quality over quantity. In fact it's possible DCUC has both.

But you don't have to buy a subscription to get him. Just buy him on the day he comes out.

I'm sure the Masters of the Universe fans will have something to say about that...

I hope enough people do buy subscriptions so Mattel doesn't say "Sorry, the numbers weren't there" and cancel it, but if the service does go as planned, only the poll winner(Metron, most likely) won't be available to non subscribers.

And who knows what that number is. It takes a lot to make a profit these days.

But there have been Matty exclusive DC figures before, and I was always able to get them all without waiting on the site thiry minutes before they went on sale. Maybe that'll change, but I'm just going by past history. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy the sub, I hope they get enough to make it happen. And I don't blame Mattel for not wanting to commit to it unless they know they'll make money from it. That's business. I'm just saying that IF the line goes as planned, you'll be able to buy any of the 12 regular figures without subscribing.

And going by the con reports, the line itself is not really ending, any more than DCSH "ended" in 2007.

I never said it was ending. Everyone else is saying "It's over it's over it's over!" because they're not reading Jay C's report.

Then...what exactly is your point? All we know is that DC is rebooting and redesigning their characters in the comics(not exactly a movie tie-in), and Mattel is reworking their line to take advantage of it. How does that imply some kind of failure? You're pointing to Hasbro's Marvel Legends as a success even though it failed at retail and all but disappeared for three years. And you're proclaiming the relaunch a success when none of them have even come out yet(and really, how is making figures of Ghost Rider or Spider-Man's outfits from the new comics any different from making the Jim Lee redesigns of Aquaman or Superman?) You're pointing to GI Joe when they cancel their line and start a new one every few years, just like Mattel is doing. You're saying that repacking big-name characters is a sign that they're overly focused on collectors when pretty much every line does it.

I'm not saying I know what 2012 will bring either. But until we do, your argument doesn't hold much weight.

Anyways, I just looked at the pictures again and Reverse Flash doesn't have the wing-tips on his boots? It's clearly meant to be the original Professor Zoom, so I really hope they fix this before the final figure comes out. They already have the parts to do it right, there's no excuse to screw that up.

Actually it's mostly me blaming it on character selection so there's no need to play softball.

Your missing the point about collector friendly lines. What do you see in your toy aisle?

Star Wars-Cultural phenomenon with a tv show tie-in

Transformers-movie tie-in

Green Lantern-movie tie-in

Toy Story-movie tie-in

Pirates of the Caribbean-movie tie-in

WWE-tv show tie-in

Batman: The Brave and the Bold-tv show tie-in

Ben 10-tv show tie-in

Captain America-movie tie-in

Thor-movie tie-in

Iron Man-movie tie-in

DC Action League-aimed at kids with no tie-in

Marvel Universe-Collector/kid friendly hybrid with no tie-in

DC Universe Classics-Collector line with no tie-in

See a pattern developing?

Then there's character selection. Look at Wave 14, currently clogging the shelves at my local Wal-Mart. We see Zatanna, Hourman and Kamandi. Others see questionably dressed magician chick, dude with a yellow hoodie and a shirtless hippie wearing jorts. Exactly how are these appealing to children?

You may consider blaming character selection "sad" but so is saying price hikes are to blame. I don't see any other toy lines going down in price yet remarkably people buy them. On top of that DCUC's in my area are on clearance for $11 (which what they were two and a half years ago) and have been for two months. No one wants them.

Should we talk about distribution next?

The Dark Knight

Green Lantern

Toy Story

Barbie

WWE

Hot Wheels

I see an abundance of those Mattel lines at the store. One (two if you count JLU) line out of many and Mattel has a "distribution" problem. Or maybe they have a "Wal-Mart and Target know very few people will buy this stuff so they don't want it" problem.

As for your "No company clogs more shelves than Hasbro with Marvel and GI Joe product yet they never get trounced by critics and fans alike" assertion, well, it's probably because everyone gets what they want.

Look at the recently announced Marvel Legends Wave. Yay to the Wrecking Crew, yay to Madame Masque.

But look! Another Cap (doesn't he have a movie out or something?) and "Big Time" Spider-Man, whatever that is. Granted, it's a Bucky Cap, but aren't collector's sick of both these guys?

I'll bet the kids aren't. Same thing with G.I. Joe. Fanboys may be sick of Duke and Snake Eyes but kids aren't.

That's why I had very few problems finding Marvel Legends figures. It may have been annoying buying 30 Wolverine figures but at least I got them.

And then there's the "Mattel doesn't care too much" part. Twenty waves, several multi-packs, exclusive figures, a chance of survival at their Web Site and millions of dollars spent on the brand but Mattel doesn't care. Too Much.

I hear what you are saying but don't agree with everything. When you mention Kamandi and I completely understand, could not even understand the fans who thought Kamandi was a good idea, personally I would of went a different route with Zatanna and that outfit, would of preferred the one with the cape as its more appealing to me and most likely the general populace too. With that said, it still was pretty brilliant for the time in them giving us such diversity, like I said the market isn't right for it and the hobby is darn near too expensive for the average adult collector let alone any brand trying to survive to a mass market without a tie in.

Part of the problem like you mentioned was that they didn't have a tie in, which is a problem and one that won't be corrected until Warner stops allowing Cartoon Network to F-up every successful project they have. Once that association is dead then hopefully another network can pick up DC cartoons.

Back to Hasblow, you are right they continue to throw in Duke and Snake Eyes but the line as a whole clogs up shelves. People complain about DCUC clogging shelves but no line has as many figures sitting on the pegs than Iron Man, or the Joes, tie in or not. Hasblow has always skated around this critism and Mattel has been unfairly blamed. You named a couple of DC characters who are still on the shelves but I bet you that you have more Joe and Marvel product hanging around than DCUC and these are well known Joes and Marvel characters.

Is Mattel and Hasbro doing a bait and shift, once DCUC took off, Marvel Legends went away, now that DCUC is going away Legends are coming back. I really thought DCUC would have had more waves than Marvel legends but that didn't happen. Interesting.

As for this theory, Marvel Legends has had a presence in toy stores since 2008 and DCUC will have a presence in the future as indicated by Jay C.

And worry not about waves. Quality over quantity. In fact it's possible DCUC has both.

Both lines have continued but Marvel Legends went into a very limited and sporatic run and its just now as DCUC has been reduced significantly that Marvel Legends is now making a strong comeback.

Wait, CLARIFICATION..........DC figures are NOT GOING AWAY FROM RETAIL. Basically the line is changing names from DCUC to something new.......

I missed Jay C's report...where is it, I was only able to find info on Fwoosh

http://thefwoosh.com...118933#p2118933

The name DCUC is going away after wave 20, yes, yes yes. Now we are going to still see a head on battle with Marvel Legends....in a good way............I

From Fwoosh

"Been on the phone with the boys at SDCC, and there seems to be some jumping of the gun.

The line as it's branded, DC Universe Classics, will end at retail with wave 20. After that, a new line will be launched coinciding with DC's reboot. They can't talk about the new line because they are waiting for DC to finalize plans. The new line, a continuation of the current line, will be a mix of modern and classic, just under a new name, and still be available at retail. Still sculpted by the 4H. More info on the new line will be given at NYCC.

The online sub/Matty line will be more dedicated to how the line is now, with mostly classic and comic purists in mind. And it was said that if it did well, other types could be introduced, such as even larger characters, vehicles, etc. Still sculpted by the 4H.

So, basically, DC Universe Classics is being rebranded, relabeled. We're still getting DC figures at retail. And Legacy will still run as a subline."

Then...what exactly is your point? All we know is that DC is rebooting and redesigning their characters in the comics(not exactly a movie tie-in), and Mattel is reworking their line to take advantage of it. How does that imply some kind of failure? You're pointing to Hasbro's Marvel Legends as a success even though it failed at retail and all but disappeared for three years. And you're proclaiming the relaunch a success when none of them have even come out yet(and really, how is making figures of Ghost Rider or Spider-Man's outfits from the new comics any different from making the Jim Lee redesigns of Aquaman or Superman?) You're pointing to GI Joe when they cancel their line and start a new one every few years, just like Mattel is doing. You're saying that repacking big-name characters is a sign that they're overly focused on collectors when pretty much every line does it.

I'm not saying I know what 2012 will bring either. But until we do, your argument doesn't hold much weight.

What does DC's Reboot have to do with anything? Unless I missed one of Jay C's reports it looks like six-inch DC Universe figures will be in the form of Batman Legacy, then Superman Legacy and maybe some Green Lantern stuff depending on whatever they consider mainstream or whoever has a movie or a tv show out at the time.

And when exactly did Hasbro Marvel Legends become a failure? Because Hasbro dumped it in favor of a successful 3 3/4 inch line? Furthermore, YOU declared the new Marvel Legends line a success, not me. I said Hasbro and Toy Biz found a balance between what kids will buy and what collectors will buy. And in case you didn't notice 16 waves under Toy Biz, nine under Hasbro and a couple dozen multi-packs, all of them LOADED with Spidey, Wolverine, IM and Hulk, means success.

DCUC has failed to find that balance for quite some time. For crying out loud this place has some of the best DC fans out there and you had people saying "I don't give a s*** about so-and-so."

And I certainly didn't say DCUC was a failure. I said they failed to adapt to what the retailers wanted. And if you bothered to read what I wrote yesterday I commended them for it. But the big retailers have a powerful voice and filling a wave with Z-Listers like El Dorado and Son of Saturn isn't going to help put your stock on the shelf.

I don't know how many times it has to be explained that places like Wal-Mart and Target want stuff that sells to kids. Kids and their parents buy waaaaay more toys than us.

Christ I can't believe I'm saying this, but ARROW said similar things for years and everyone was like "Oh, Ken's so smart!" Rollo Tomassi said the same thing about DCUC the other day, I don't hear anyone challenging his opinion.

EDIT: WHOOPS! I did call DCUC a "failure." As a toy line at mass retailers? Yes. As a collector's line? Absolutely not.

I hear what you are saying but don't agree with everything. When you mention Kamandi and I completely understand, could not even understand the fans who thought Kamandi was a good idea, personally I would of went a different route with Zatanna and that outfit, would of preferred the one with the cape as its more appealing to me and most likely the general populace too. With that said, it still was pretty brilliant for the time in them giving us such diversity, like I said the market isn't right for it and the hobby is darn near too expensive for the average adult collector let alone any brand trying to survive to a mass market without a tie in.

Part of the problem like you mentioned was that they didn't have a tie in, which is a problem and one that won't be corrected until Warner stops allowing Cartoon Network to F-up every successful project they have. Once that association is dead then hopefully another network can pick up DC cartoons.

Back to Hasblow, you are right they continue to throw in Duke and Snake Eyes but the line as a whole clogs up shelves. People complain about DCUC clogging shelves but no line has as many figures sitting on the pegs than Iron Man, or the Joes, tie in or not. Hasblow has always skated around this critism and Mattel has been unfairly blamed. You named a couple of DC characters who are still on the shelves but I bet you that you have more Joe and Marvel product hanging around than DCUC and these are well known Joes and Marvel characters.

I apologize for my crude descriptions of those characters, I was just trying to make a point. We as DC fans understand they're a big part of DC History. But most people don't care.

And I totally agree with diversity. That's why they're better than Marvel Legends. And always will be. But it's also why they have to switch to Internet sales.

To your Hasbro comment, while I don't have Joes on the shelves, because they, uh, kicked them out for some reason, but I do see tons of Marvel stuff out there. But as always things sell out and supply eventually becomes bigger than demand. Happens everywhere.

You are right about the blame game, but that's just Marvel fans being Marvel fans. I have much more respect for DC fans because most of them call a spade a spade. Hardcore Marvel fans think that company (and their friends) haven't done anything wrong in 60 years.

Personally I like the majority of Hasbro's stuff so I don't often complain about it.

You named a couple of DC characters who are still on the shelves but I bet you that you have more Joe and Marvel product hanging around than DCUC and these are well known Joes and Marvel characters.

lol You want me to name a few more?

Zatanna, Kamandi, Hourman, Alan Scott, Donna Troy, Cyclotron, WGS Nightwing, WGS Power Girl, OMAC, Mary Marvel, all of GL Wave 2, the Hal Jordan/Abin Sur pack, and Booster Gold.

Yes, I said Booster Gold. It's pretty bad around here.

Both lines have continued but Marvel Legends went into a very limited and sporatic run and its just now as DCUC has been reduced significantly that Marvel Legends is now making a strong comeback.

Well, I think Mattel will hardly be sporadic with its six-inch scale line, especially if the subscription service goes through.

You named a couple of DC characters who are still on the shelves but I bet you that you have more Joe and Marvel product hanging around than DCUC and these are well known Joes and Marvel characters.

lol You want me to name a few more?

Zatanna, Kamandi, Hourman, Alan Scott, Donna Troy, Cyclotron, WGS Nightwing, WGS Power Girl, OMAC, Mary Marvel, all of GL Wave 2, the Hal Jordan/Abin Sur pack, and Booster Gold.

Yes, I said Booster Gold. It's pretty bad around here.

Well, I think Mattel will hardly be sporadic with its six-inch scale line, especially if the subscription service goes through.

The characters you quoted are essentials except for Kamandi, OMAC and I say that only based on the look of the characters. All of the rest are important to the line. Consider while the market may be small for them, there are collectors who will get a figure just based on the look. Also many people grew up with Superfriends so an El Dorado may sell well enough at retail, even a Black Vulcan just based on the fans of those shows and some kids on how they look. It's really a toss up.

Mattel is not a perfect company, I think the biggest problem again falls into price. If these were more affordable then I believe collectors would snag more characters they don't know, the cost has forced certain people to be very particular. If these were 10.00 versus 15/16 then more people would buy those off characters. Also another problem in recent times is the amount of figures in a wave, Mattel went overboard but it seems they have cooled off and 6 figs in a wave is standard.

The characters you quoted are essentials except for Kamandi, OMAC and I say that only based on the look of the characters. All of the rest are important to the line. Consider while the market may be small for them, there are collectors who will get a figure just based on the look. Also many people grew up with Superfriends so an El Dorado may sell well enough at retail, even a Black Vulcan just based on the fans of those shows and some kids on how they look. It's really a toss up.

Mattel is not a perfect company, I think the biggest problem again falls into price. If these were more affordable then I believe collectors would snag more characters they don't know, the cost has forced certain people to be very particular. If these were 10.00 versus 15/16 then more people would buy those off characters. Also another problem in recent times is the amount of figures in a wave, Mattel went overboard but it seems they have cooled off and 6 figs in a wave is standard.

Agreed, the price is not reflective of the value of the figure and you've always been right about the size of each wave.

But throwing in more A-Listers and movie figures would have been beneficial to the line. Not to the extreme extent ML did, but enough to suck retailers in.

Again, no one has referenced the World's Greatest Superheroes repacks debacle.

Just in my Wal-Mart that I go what they have are 4 Capt. Cold's 2 Firestorm's & 2 Kamandi. Just the other day at my work we had 6 figures from wave 15 and 4 from wave 16 and 4 from wave 11. This guy bought all the wave 15 and all but 1 of wave 16 and the ones we had for wave 15 where the nun know characters like Blue Beetle and Speciter [ms]. The 4 wave 16 that we had where Riddler Creeper 2 of the red Metal man don't know his name but he bought them all. the Wave 11 figures we have are 4 red Steppenwolf's.

If they do go away after wave 20, I can't say that I care at all. I lost interest in DCUC sometime after wave 10, probably around the time that they raised the price to 15 bucks.

They raised the prices to 15 bucks, which is pretty damn high. 15 bucks definitely makes it an adult toyline, as there are no kids who could afford to collect a 15$ toyline. 15 bucks is a lot for adult collectors too, especially when there are many other options out there for cheaper. However, 15 bucks may be okay if you love a toyline. Marvel Legends is going to come back with a 15$ price tag, so we will see how it goes for them.

They also changed the packaging, and I hated it. I like it when I can look at my 15 waves of ToyBiz Marvel Legends and see them all in the same packages. Personally, I think one of the reasons Hasbro's ML line had problems was their packaging sucked. I didn't see a reason for the change in the DCUC packaging either.... first with the 75th anni card art, and then with the bigger bubbles and taller cards. It just wasn't a good idea.

Then it seemed like all of the figures in each wave were characters that I didn't know about (I admit I don't know the DC comic world very much anymore) or care too much for.

Then there were so many old figures clogging the pegs I hardly ever even saw any new figures. A long time ago I wanted Martian Manhunter really badly.. but I never found him... and at 15 bucks, in a different package than all my other DCUC figures, I don't really care that I don't have him.

And finally, I know I am alone here, but I just got really tired of their sculpting style. The figures just got boring to me. Even at 6 inches, I found them less interesting, detailed, and dynamic than my 4 inch Marvel Universe figures.

I don't care if they go away... I don't like Mattel, or their figures... and what happened to their Infinite Heroes??