DCU Club Subscription @ mattycollector.com

Wolverine042

I just checked Mattycollector's site and they took down the thermometer graphic with the link to the sub. I wonder why they took it down?

I still see the graphic.

I don't know what is going on but I bought 3 subs, and it seems most everyone here who bought one signed up for multiple. I wonder what it is such a small increase from zero to 25%. These situations again take all the fun out of toy collecting.

I still see it to and one still has to wonder what that goal number is. One way or the other it would shed some light on the situation.

• Like 1

Fine, if Warner is making DC shake things up and in return are making Mattel shake things up then what Mattel is doing with the subscription is nice....but its still another bill. The problem is that the blame it too focused on Mattel and not DC/Warner bros who is pushing this change to go through. Even still, the idea of the subscription isn't bad but at the same time that is an extra financial burden for collectors. The only way the subscritption would be good for me is if they reduce the amount of figures in their new rebranded line, I am talking about down to 4 or 5 figures, that way buying the sub and having a monthly bill won't be so bad.

This isn't DC/Warners doing. This is Matty trying to milk the consumer for every last cent they can.

For DC/Warner's part, especially considering the reboot they're trying to sell, I expect they'll get real tired of Matty's little "subscribe or such-n-such won't be released in retail" games.

DC wants their characters out there, in public, getting to as many people as possible. Matty, once you get past the CIA mentality and over-inflated sense of self-importance, is just another licensor. Just like the companies that made my Super Powers boxer-shorts or those Green Lantern activity books at the Dollar Store, it's Matty's job to get those characters out there. If DC decides Matty isn't doing their job . . . they're out. No more Four Horsemen, no more Fangirl, no more 80 dollar five-packs. Hasbro gets another billion dollar property and Mattel's living off welfare and Barbie money.

How is Mattel not doing its job? Because they don't produce DCUC the way YOU want it to? This is how clueless fanboys like you are.

You act like Mattel would fall apart if they lost the DC license.

You act like Mattel was granted a toy license just to make a collector's line designed to cater to the five dozen regulars of TNI and The Fwoosh.

You act like DC/WB gives a s*** about the subscription when they're relaunching their comics towards younger readers, a new Green Lantern cartoon debuting soon and The Dark Knight Rises coming out in less than a year.

Maybe the boundaries aren't clear so let me explain it to you:

-It's Mattel's job to make toys.

-It's DC and WB's job to produce media that showcase their characters.

Well I see plenty of DC toys out on the shelves. Maybe not the ones you want, but you're the one who said, "DC wants their characters out there, in public, getting to as many people as possible...it's Matty's job to get those characters out there."

Unless you're going to provide some absurd argument that Jay Garrick and Starman are figures critical to Mattel, DC and WB's success, it looks like mission accomplished.

If anything, given the complete inability for DC/WB to produce multiple DC film franchises, it appears the only one not doing their jobs are DC and Warner Brothers.

And just to confirm you have no idea what you're talking about, let's look at this tidbit:

"Hasbro gets another billion dollar property and Mattel's living off welfare and Barbie money."

Well, this might come as a shock to you, but even with Star Wars and Transformers, Mattel's profits far exceed Hasbro's, mainly because of dolls aimed at little girls and mini-cars directed at 45-year-old virgins, which must piss you off royally.

And neither one of them make a billion dollars. Who's creating an "over-inflated sense of self-importance" now?

• Like 4

Fine, if Warner is making DC shake things up and in return are making Mattel shake things up then what Mattel is doing with the subscription is nice....but its still another bill. The problem is that the blame it too focused on Mattel and not DC/Warner bros who is pushing this change to go through. Even still, the idea of the subscription isn't bad but at the same time that is an extra financial burden for collectors. The only way the subscritption would be good for me is if they reduce the amount of figures in their new rebranded line, I am talking about down to 4 or 5 figures, that way buying the sub and having a monthly bill won't be so bad.

This isn't DC/Warners doing. This is Matty trying to milk the consumer for every last cent they can.

For DC/Warner's part, especially considering the reboot they're trying to sell, I expect they'll get real tired of Matty's little "subscribe or such-n-such won't be released in retail" games.

DC wants their characters out there, in public, getting to as many people as possible. Matty, once you get past the CIA mentality and over-inflated sense of self-importance, is just another licensor. Just like the companies that made my Super Powers boxer-shorts or those Green Lantern activity books at the Dollar Store, it's Matty's job to get those characters out there. If DC decides Matty isn't doing their job . . . they're out. No more Four Horsemen, no more Fangirl, no more 80 dollar five-packs. Hasbro gets another billion dollar property and Mattel's living off welfare and Barbie money.

How is Mattel not doing its job? Because they don't produce DCUC the way YOU want it to? This is how clueless fanboys like you are.

We're all supposedly adults expressing our valid opinions here. Let's try and steer away from the name-calling okay.

Nice of you to reduce the facts he proved you wrong with to "name calling." An opinion is indeed quite invalid if the facts supporting it are proven incorrect. Continuing to hold to said opinion in the face of those contradicting facts makes one willfully ignorant. Not an uncommon phenomenon on the internet, though.

Make no mistake, virtually all of this mess is absolutely DC/Time-Warner's doing. Anyone thinking otherwise is really not reading between the lines and applying common sense.

Then of course the so-called "fans" start getting upset that Mattel isn't telling them what the entire year's worth of products for both mass retail and the subscription will be...despite the fact that they have NEVER disclosed a full-year's worth of product at any single time. But once again...read between the lines - The first few figures for the subscription almost certainly were intended to be another wave at retail. Now? They're not. Why is this? Because DCUC is going in "a different direction." Gee...what could that direction possibly be, given the semi-recent revelation of a universal reboot for the DCU and a major marketing push impending from Time-Warner to support it?

Time-Warner wants the "new" designs on shelves as fast as possible, and late next year is "as fast as possible." They also clearly want "major characters only" as even Atrocitus, who's confirmed as being part of the "new" universe and even has (sort of) his own title didn't "make the cut." That should be a red flag right there that we can basically look forward to a whole lotta the "Big 7" starting next year...and probably not much else besides the occasional villain.

Does Mattel want to squeeze more dollars out of DCUC collectors? Damn right they do. They'd be an absolutely crappy business if they didn't and there isn't a toy company in existence that does things purely out of the goodness of their heart (at least not that's going to be in business long). The point, however, is that Mattel wanting to make money and wanting to provide fans/collectors with some figures they might not otherwise get aren't mutually exclusive. Mattel the corporation wants money. The Four Horsemen and the DCUC "team" probably do (to some extent) actually give a crap about the fans/collectors, but ultimately their influence is limited by corporate control, and always will be (same with any other toy line). It's doubly-difficult with a licensed brand like DC, where product has to be approved not only by your corporation, but by the owner of the licensed property as well (in most cases). Toss in the need to please the retailers enough to buy the line and you're looking at a heck of a lot of fingers in the pie.

With the subscription, the need to please retailers is removed from the equation, and replaced with the need to please subscribers so they will continue to subscribe in subsequent years. This actually does give fans/collectors far more influence over the line than they would EVER enjoy otherwise.

Mattel's profits far exceed Hasbro's, mainly because of dolls aimed at little girls and mini-cars directed at 45-year-old virgins, which must piss you off royally.

@lol@ hahahaahaha...true.

I know, for all of our fighting me and CJFAN that has to be the quote of the year, I spit all over my computer at work when I read he rant and came to that part.

Mattel's profits far exceed Hasbro's, mainly because of dolls aimed at little girls and mini-cars directed at 45-year-old virgins, which must piss you off royally.

I know, for all of our fighting me and CJFAN that has to be the quote of the year, I spit all over my computer at work when I read he rant and came to that part.

Don't ruin your computer on my account. I'll feel bad.

Don't ruin your computer on my account. I'll feel bad.

No that was funny and work is kicking my butt so it was a needed stress release. Also people or male collectors don't seem to remember and recall but Mattel sells more product than Hasblow. Just because Star Wars, Joes, and Transformers have a dedicated presence doesn't mean they are top dog.

Overall, Mattel should of been more open about the new direction of the change for their DC Line (heck they didn't even unveil a name yet) and really took the time to explain what the new sub is all about. People are on the fence and they have every right to be. It all was just too fast with too much of a commitment.

Mattel needs to explain:

The new line and just exactly how it is focused

Explain the direction of the sub -- as far as character selection, whatever

What to expect in the future..............and hell throw DC under the bus if they were the ones who wanted the change, that way they can take the heat off themselves. They could of done it in a classy way, but let the fight be taken to DC and Warner and not them. That said it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

We're all supposedly adults expressing our valid opinions here. Let's try and steer away from the name-calling okay.

HAHAHA "clueless" is an adjective, clearly accurate in this situation, and if you think "fanboy" is an insult then I'd hate to think what would happen if I used a real one.

Between you, Flounnderr and Jailer there's been a blatant lack of intelligence and hypocrisy rampant in this discussion. None of you want to admit that DCUC isn't as popular as you think it is and Mattel's agreement with DC expands far beyond one adult collector line.

Instead you would rather accuse Mattel of "scams," accuse me of lying, or in your case, pretend to be h3llfish and find some "name calling" so you can ignore all facts that absolutely destroy your argument.

Props to Jmacq1 for backing me up.

• Like 1

I wonder if the DC subscription already has more supporters than the Ecto-1 Club had its first year (and way more than its second year)and the Voltron Club has in its first year.

So why the double standard?

Hopefully, they look at the actual number of subs that they have sold and compare that to the number of subs for these other sub lines. I think that the DCUC subs would be a comparable number to the others. I just hope they were pushing the fear of loss to sell more subs quickly.

I got 3 subs. One for me and a buddy and another for heck of it. I figure if the deal goes through someone i know will have changed their mind and want in. Not looking so

good though based on the thermometer graphic. Figures are crossed.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the number of subscriptions needed is probably dictated by economics. A certain amount of people may have to sign-up to make a fairly massive undertaking like this viable. Fees, production, packaging, shipping, etc have to be covered by the consumer. There's no Wal-Mart or Target cutting Matty a check this time.

If that's the case, you can't compare the DCUC sub to MOTUC and especially Ghostbusters which would be much smaller properties requiring less of a financial committment. Hence, less subs are needed to "go to press."

Bottom line, it could be this just wasn't meant to be.

After a week of talking about corporate pressure, companies needing to make money to survive, and how DC Universe Classics isn't as popular as some make it out to be, mako is "going out on a limb" and saying the amount of subscriptions necessary to make a profit may not be enough to justify continuing a collector friendly line.

icon_rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The following ties into what I've been saying in this and other threads.

For the first time in at least six months my local Wal-Mart featured a new wave of DC Universe Classics (excluding Wave 2 of GL Classics). Actually one and a half because there were parts of Wave 15 and all of Wave 18.

Of course, it was at the bottom of an end cap with two shelves of Batman Legacy and two shelves of Young Justice figures, but hey, I'm sure someone will be happy.

But isn't that a coincidence? Nothing for months but one tv tie-in and one line dedicated to one of the top three most recognizable comic book characters in the world and BAM! DCUC is back!

FYI the GL Classics were on clearance for $9 so check your Wal-Marts if you held out.

• Like 1

even if we dont reach 100% i hope that mattel does the figs for the ones who subscribe. kind of a thanks anyway. i cannot believe i wont get ivy and atrocitus because of that.

Heh. The make it a five pack and just quietly ship it to all the subscribers without any fanfare or announcement. Then watch all the indignant whiny bitches come out of the woodwork about how that's not fair to the people who didn't order the subscription. :D

The sense of blithe entitlement that consumes our society gives me a grand measure of amusement.

Well I got an email today saying that their extending the subs another week. 71% behind what they want. So far its not looking good. Hopefully we'll get atleast 50%, so they can consider given us what we were offered.

Well I got an email today saying that their extending the subs another week. 71% behind what they want. So far its not looking good. Hopefully we'll get atleast 50%, so they can consider given us what we were offered.

Just got the same email, here's hoping it happens.

Hmm...left out on the email but i did see it on the Matty forums. Hopefully this gives people a chance still recovering from SDCC to get some funds together.

I have to wait a little longer to see if i can spend my subscription money on something else.