DCU Club Subscription @ mattycollector.com

Wolverine042

I love it when people make it sound like if we don't bend over and take the subscription with a smile there won't ever be any DCUC again. If the sub flies, there will still be DC figures in stores, if it tanks, we'll still have DCUC in stores.

Well, there might be lines like Batman Legacy and maybe Superman Legacy and maybe Walmart might indulge in the occasional five pack but as far as a regular outlet for characters like Jemm, 80's Vigilante and Omac, it might be over.

All those guys who's wish lists resembled DC's entire Who's Who will have to pare them down substantially.

so, lemme get this straight...there really is a demand for an online-only Voltron toy line but not to continue DC Universe Classics in any form?!

Voltron?! @bs@

I love it when people make it sound like if we don't bend over and take the subscription with a smile there won't ever be any DCUC again. If the sub flies, there will still be DC figures in stores, if it tanks, we'll still have DCUC in stores.

100% agree with this, plus i'd be pretty happy if the CnC thing ended. I wouldn't mind if they were just released to stores, similar to MU Galactus, Giant Man ect...

Or is this another "scam" like the BAF concept. I'm just curious Champ, is everything that requires you to spend money on toys a "scam"?

Pretty much... The BAF concept is a scam same as the subscription. Why can't mattel just make the figure and put it out in the store? I don't really see all these problems with the star wars or Gi Joe line. Even Hasbro abandoned BAF's with the Spiderman Classics and Iron Man movie waves.

regards,

the champ

Well it seems Mattel is really trying hard to get those subscriptions up, they just revealed that one of the figures slated for the subscription is Poison Ivy.

This is from their FB page

Hey DC Universe fans, you asked for it, you got it! Here is the reveal of another 6" character in the DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription program...Poison Ivy! To get this figure, as well as the other subscription figures, sign up for the club: http://bit.ly/mURsgQ

Personally I don't like the subscription even though I signed up for three of them. Prefer to have figures in the line that I want rather than another expense. This whole DC reboot is having negative effects everywhere. Also, where did Mattel say that the new line would not feature a BAF figure? I didn't read that anywhere???

"They also noted that if they don't get enough responses for the subscription program and end up canceling it this figure will not be released at regular retail. "

LOL How's that for desperate! Don't forget to lube up when you bend over for Mattel.

"They also noted that if they don't get enough responses for the subscription program and end up canceling it this figure will not be released at regular retail. "

LOL How's that for desperate! Don't forget to lube up when you bend over for Mattel.

I agree, I will admit that I do want Ivy and I did sign up for a subscription but ultimately I wish it doesn't happen.

One thing with Mattel, how many times they said this and that won't happen and then IT HAPPENS!!! Swamp Thing, Lobo,

Or is this another "scam" like the BAF concept. I'm just curious Champ, is everything that requires you to spend money on toys a "scam"?

Pretty much... The BAF concept is a scam same as the subscription. Why can't mattel just make the figure and put it out in the store? I don't really see all these problems with the star wars or Gi Joe line. Even Hasbro abandoned BAF's with the Spiderman Classics and Iron Man movie waves.

regards,

the champ

In a shocking development, you once again have no idea what you're talking about.

-You can't abandon something you were never a part of. Toy Biz and Hasbro never put BAF in those lines.

-You keep mentioning Star Wars for dropping the build-a-droid. Yeah, it's true. But in case you haven't noticed Star Wars changes its tune every year. And I doubt you can prove that the juggernaut that is Star Wars lost money because they placed repainted droid parts in packages.

-Flounnderr's all like, "Yeah, I'd rather see larger figures at retail." Marvel Universe has made six large scale figures. Five of them have stunk up shelves and one of them hasn't had the chance yet. I'm sure you have plenty of excuses for that one.

-Hasbro just brought back Marvel Legends and with it the Build-a-Figure. Try to keep up.

-And then there's the stupidity of you calling buying figures a "scam." Grow up. There's nothing fraudulent or otherwise illegal about packaging parts of a larger figure or requiring you to buy a subscription to get them.

I guess in your mind XBox Gold and HBO are scams too.

• Like 1

6" figures will continue to come out, but DCUC as we know it is ending. No BAF, and no more C and D listers.

I'm glad someone's paying attention. It's pretty obvious that someone at DC or Warner Brothers is not happy and feels serious changes are needed.

Everyone here is pretty much unanimous in hating the reboot. You're gonna hate it even more when DC Universe Classics becomes DC Universe Rebooted Classics.

• Like 1

Poison Ivy?!?!? THAT'S who Mattel is holding hostage now???

Poison Ivy couldn't be included in a Batman Legacy wave or some other Batman themed multi-pack? Poison Ivy is one of those C-listers that we need this screwy subscription service to get?

Wow...! I might be naive but I didn't know Mattel also made balls... BIG ones!

its not a threat. its a @##@@ fact. dc is gonna change. dc and marvel always change. whats the big deal this time around. after flashpoint it even makes a @##@@ sense and if ordinary people wouldnt #@$#@ on court who invented the damn superman boots, we wouldnt have that problem right now. i dont even see it as a problem. most look ok in that reboot. as for the figures. you #@$#@ about that reboot and yet the sub isnt good enough? where does it make sense?? i realy dont get it. its not like matty is putting a @##@@ gun on your head and makes you choose. no the fact is dcuc is gone if it fails. they keep repeating it but everyone seems to be a spy and knows everything better whats going on behind the walls of mattel. no, everyone has to be taken aside and get asked gently from matty about something or he feels attacked. loosen up a little and think about it for a sec. oh no, guess what mattel is run by lex luthor and toyman they want to take over the world, oh no they dont deliver worldwide.... how many people wanted

-ivy ( a damn lot)

-atrocitus (booohooo wave 17 hasnt a leader, worst wave ever, i stop boohhooo. remember this?)

-flash (we have green lantern but not flash boohooo i hate mattel boohooo)

-metron ( with everyone chanting his name, he could have won. boohooo not good enough)

-cnc (boohooo i cant find giganta heads or legs boohoo. well guess what, cnc is done. you get big figs for 40 usd. isnt that better the 65usd on ebay???)

this list can go on forever if i want to. the sub is the next option. you want classics then get the sub, thats a fact or they have to stop. its a buisness decision. they have to take care of the dc license and pay the 2000 employees they have working for them.

Fine, if Warner is making DC shake things up and in return are making Mattel shake things up then what Mattel is doing with the subscription is nice....but its still another bill. The problem is that the blame it too focused on Mattel and not DC/Warner bros who is pushing this change to go through. Even still, the idea of the subscription isn't bad but at the same time that is an extra financial burden for collectors. The only way the subscritption would be good for me is if they reduce the amount of figures in their new rebranded line, I am talking about down to 4 or 5 figures, that way buying the sub and having a monthly bill won't be so bad.

you see this i can accept. financial reasons is fine in my book. the prices went up on everything. if someone has to pay bills and all its sure that you have to think twice about it. but if mattel or warner wants to try something new, in hope that it turns out in everyones favor then lets try it out before we bash it.

i dont believe that warner is pushing mattel to do anything. someone came up with a concept and a few companys try to work together to make this a huge thing. they will even do tv commercials for the comic reboot. it will be great and if not then we get flashpoint 2 and everything gets set back lol. ok maybe for some it seems harsh that mattel says it like this. to me i dont care how they wanna sell the product. i want dcuc figures and ivy, atrocitus are on my top list. if i read an article, i see facts and what has to be done. well fact is classics is history. the companys wanna do something new and in a big way. if it helps pushing sales for them then why the hell not. what has to be done to keep classics going? get the sub, ok done, if one can afford it but dont come: ohh mattel is so mean, like a baby who got no presents for christmas and my favorite character isnt up there.... geeee i want a conduit figure since they started and i dont have it yet, i am still alive and can live without it.

Fine, if Warner is making DC shake things up and in return are making Mattel shake things up then what Mattel is doing with the subscription is nice....but its still another bill. The problem is that the blame it too focused on Mattel and not DC/Warner bros who is pushing this change to go through. Even still, the idea of the subscription isn't bad but at the same time that is an extra financial burden for collectors. The only way the subscritption would be good for me is if they reduce the amount of figures in their new rebranded line, I am talking about down to 4 or 5 figures, that way buying the sub and having a monthly bill won't be so bad.

This isn't DC/Warners doing. This is Matty trying to milk the consumer for every last cent they can.

For DC/Warner's part, especially considering the reboot they're trying to sell, I expect they'll get real tired of Matty's little "subscribe or such-n-such won't be released in retail" games.

DC wants their characters out there, in public, getting to as many people as possible. Matty, once you get past the CIA mentality and over-inflated sense of self-importance, is just another licensor. Just like the companies that made my Super Powers boxer-shorts or those Green Lantern activity books at the Dollar Store, it's Matty's job to get those characters out there. If DC decides Matty isn't doing their job . . . they're out. No more Four Horsemen, no more Fangirl, no more 80 dollar five-packs. Hasbro gets another billion dollar property and Mattel's living off welfare and Barbie money.

i don't know dude, I see it as DC/Warner trying to push the new rebranding agenda. Think about it, if this was business as usual then Mattel would not of had this much time to make drastic changes on short notice. If we see a new line focusing on mainly new characters and leaving old designs in the dust then I believe it's a DC/Warner thing.

you see this i can accept. financial reasons is fine in my book. the prices went up on everything. if someone has to pay bills and all its sure that you have to think twice about it. but if mattel or warner wants to try something new, in hope that it turns out in everyones favor then lets try it out before we bash it.

i dont believe that warner is pushing mattel to do anything. someone came up with a concept and a few companys try to work together to make this a huge thing. they will even do tv commercials for the comic reboot. it will be great and if not then we get flashpoint 2 and everything gets set back lol. ok maybe for some it seems harsh that mattel says it like this. to me i dont care how they wanna sell the product. i want dcuc figures and ivy, atrocitus are on my top list. if i read an article, i see facts and what has to be done. well fact is classics is history. the companys wanna do something new and in a big way. if it helps pushing sales for them then why the hell not. what has to be done to keep classics going? get the sub, ok done, if one can afford it but dont come: ohh mattel is so mean, like a baby who got no presents for christmas and my favorite character isnt up there.... geeee i want a conduit figure since they started and i dont have it yet, i am still alive and can live without it.

To some extent fans are being held hostage because having the sub forces them into a year long agreement and who is to say that people want all the figures coming out. I don't have a MOTUC because sometimes I may only want one of a figure, sometimes two, sometimes none and I don't want the hassle of being locked into something I may not want. I can respect people who don't want a sub but do want DC figures.

Plain and simple, people want the DCUC line to continue as is, most don't want a rebrand and most don't want to be locked into a year long sub.

To some extent fans are being held hostage because having the sub forces them into a year long agreement and who is to say that people want all the figures coming out. I don't have a MOTUC because sometimes I may only want one of a figure, sometimes two, sometimes none and I don't want the hassle of being locked into something I may not want. I can respect people who don't want a sub but do want DC figures.

Plain and simple, people want the DCUC line to continue as is, most don't want a rebrand and most don't want to be locked into a year long sub.

and these people are not forced into the sub but behave like that. the sub is meant to get the line going. mattel needs a certain amount to go into production and the rest is sold on sale day when matty releases them. thats all. if you are the casual buyer who just gets the one or the other, the sub isnt interesting. now if you are open to learn about the whole dc universe then get the sub. mattel rushed things and people dont know what to expect even do motuc runs for years now. anyway, they could have sold them on matty without the sub. build the hype about great things and offer the sub for 2013 if sales were good. that would have been a great way to sell it. all in all we wont see those great figures anyway looking how everyone is on a fence about it. sad actualy. atrocitus and ivy looked so perfect. for once i wanted a great complete batman rogue and no. i had hope for talia, ras, hush and so many others to come...... i give it up because its impossible to get that meter climb for 75% in a few days. i dont believe in wonders. this is not disney land lol.

and these people are not forced into the sub but behave like that. the sub is meant to get the line going. mattel needs a certain amount to go into production and the rest is sold on sale day when matty releases them. thats all. if you are the casual buyer who just gets the one or the other, the sub isnt interesting. now if you are open to learn about the whole dc universe then get the sub. mattel rushed things and people dont know what to expect even do motuc runs for years now. anyway, they could have sold them on matty without the sub. build the hype about great things and offer the sub for 2013 if sales were good. that would have been a great way to sell it. all in all we wont see those great figures anyway looking how everyone is on a fence about it. sad actualy. atrocitus and ivy looked so perfect. for once i wanted a great complete batman rogue and no. i had hope for talia, ras, hush and so many others to come...... i give it up because its impossible to get that meter climb for 75% in a few days. i dont believe in wonders. this is not disney land lol.

This is why the whole rebranding thing is BAD. It ruined a good thing, sales I am sure were steady but now it does look as if it will go away. The lack of information on the new line, lack of information regarding sub characters are what has kept people on the fence. No one knows what to totally expect or what this new line is supposed to be., this is all Mattel's fault. They should have been open and communicated effectively, not making some random statement at SDCC and some half wit follow-up after everyone went crazy for two days. Mattel is just expecting people to continue with their changes, sort of how Hasbrow did with MU and ML, the difference is that DC fans aren't that dedicated...........that is why suck butt Marvel movies make money.

Well, I did my part and bought a sub on the first day it was available. I would love to have those figures, but I don't have a need for multiple subs because I open my figures. So hopefully enough people sign up by Friday.

Well, I did my part and bought a sub on the first day it was available. I would love to have those figures, but I don't have a need for multiple subs because I open my figures. So hopefully enough people sign up by Friday.

I bought two on the first day because I want one to open and one to stay MISP.

So we have done our part.

I just checked Mattycollector's site and they took down the thermometer graphic with the link to the sub. I wonder why they took it down?

I still see the graphic.

I don't know what is going on but I bought 3 subs, and it seems most everyone here who bought one signed up for multiple. I wonder what it is such a small increase from zero to 25%. These situations again take all the fun out of toy collecting.