DCU Club Subscription @ mattycollector.com

Wolverine042

So only the subcribers are "true blue" fans...well im not mindless or a completist so i guess you must be right.

Also you really haven't countered anything I wrote, especially that all the tooled figures will be released even if the subscription fails. The only reason people care is b/c they're pissing in their pants over Metron, and possibly not getting him if it fails.

It's not just about being a completist. See what shokker wrote. And I don't see anyone going crazy over the subscription because of Metron. Me? I just want to see Metron, don't really care how it comes about. And I'm just curious how you "know" those figures will be released.

Like I said, fan support is there, and much stronger than JLU (which has managed to make just about every character from the cartoon and beyond).

"Fan support?" The same fans that are pissed off because Mattel made a special figure for its employees, a figure that has absolutely no bearing on a complete JLU lineup, and have held it over their head for five years?

Whatever. So you didn't say this:

What you're worried about is that fan geared figures will ONLY be made through the subscription. Well I don't believe that either, just look at how long JLU has been at retail.

Oh wait, you did. I didn't see Giganta, the Gotham Criminals, the LOSH, the Doom Patrol, Lobo, Darkseid, Kalibak, Parademons, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan, the Marvel Family and the Justice Guild, all fan requested figures, at Target. Maybe your Target was lucky. But more than likely you just don't know what you're talking about.

I don't deny that there were fan favorites at retail, but few of them were on single cards and most of them were in packs where you had to buy yet ANOTHER of the big four.

Again, the only reason JLU has survived this long is because its dependent on repacks, repaints and a s*** load of Supes, Bats, WW and GL.

They wouldn't need dozens of the those four characters in the lineups if the "fan support" was there. I didn't think that last part had to be brought up but for some reason I keep giving you the benefit of the doubt.

And DCUC? Are you talking about the same "fan support" that's been trashing the last three waves?

Im not really sure how much the reboot will affect dcuc, i'm sure they'll introduce them into the line...maybe 1-2 per wave. I dont see a problem.

The subsciption is only good for completists and people who want oddball charachters like "dial H for hero" or whatever his name is.

Actually, it's for people who want DCUC to continue. Which clearly isn't you.

I know you don't like JLU but you have to consider that the show was just so amazing to people that having physical representation was enough to keep sales strong enough for collectors, and of course throwing a Superman or WW was needed to justify characters who otherwise would of never seen the light of day. It was a brilliant scheme for a long dead TV show. Granted I hate the articulation but I do love the look of the figures per the TV show. They don't warrant their price tag but JLU is a very special line, sub par...yes, cool........yes in their own special way.

One thing I have noticed is that DC as an entitiy is completely disposable by their fans or a large majority of them. CJFAN pointed out in contrast how Marvel Legends had some similar structuring in waves and how they don't get half the complaints. It seems from movies to toys people continue to buy DCUC and DC products but it seems they complain and awful lot more than normal.

I for one do not like the sub and I don't believe in the reasons Mattel is giving. DCUC is not a perfect selling entity but they are a huge line, they push tons of product at retail and online, they are a large moving entity and the oddball characters have moved........who would of thought the ridiculous version of Killer Moth would of been such the hit it was, or how about Golden Pharoah, people hated him until they saw him on the pegs and people bought him just because of how he looked. Despite the response on Wave 18, they have moved a great deal of them already online before they have hit retail. Mattel is a very cunning and demanding company, as much as I like their product I do believe they think that success only comes in the form of making toy collecting a monthly staple in conjunction with your rent, mortgage, and utiltities.

I think offering only large 12 inch or 15 inch figures on Mattycollector is a good idea, the sub only appealed to me when I thought DCUC was going away from retail. People the line isn't leaving or rebranding because of poor sales they are just changing gears because DC Comics is changing gears (for better or worst, looking at the new costumes it is for the worst) but DCUC is hardly the failure line people make it out to be. IMO still the better than Marvel Legends was and looking at the new line is.

I think you kind of missed the point of what I was saying about ML. I meant that throwing in an A-Lister or a movie figure in most waves warms it up to retailers a little more, which makes them easier to find. DCUC didn't do that and while we praise them for that its not want the retailers wanted.

You did bring up a good point when you said people are buying them online and not at retail, which would suggest that maybe switching to Matty Collector is good for all parties involved.

What I don't agree with is DCUC is a "large moving entity." Not that we see sales for any toy line but if it was as top selling as others have claimed it would be boasted in the quarterly sales reports. It's not, which means it's either not a success (doubtful) or just a moderate success.

And lastly, you said the line is "changing gears," a true statement. I shudder to think what that means...

I know you don't like JLU but you have to consider that the show was just so amazing to people that having physical representation was enough to keep sales strong enough for collectors, and of course throwing a Superman or WW was needed to justify characters who otherwise would of never seen the light of day. It was a brilliant scheme for a long dead TV show. Granted I hate the articulation but I do love the look of the figures per the TV show. They don't warrant their price tag but JLU is a very special line, sub par...yes, cool........yes in their own special way.

On the contrary, I loved JLU. But they didn't just "throw" the big four in. They shoved it down the fans throat.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make SP. There was no reason to have an excessive (and it was excessive) amount of those four characters thrown in unless you needed support from other demographics. In this day and age support from children is required to keep your line at retail.

This what I meant when I said Marvel Legends caters to everyone. Hardcore fans put up with crappy first appearance figures, X-Men movie figures and Ultimate War Machine so they can get borderline obscure characters like Crossbones, Longshot and Black Knight.

For the millionth time, no one will acknowledge why, starting with Wave 7, Mattel started splitting waves in half so they could put in the World's Greatest Superheroes repacks.

Did Mattel ever state how well those WGSH sold? I know Power Girl pegwarmed, but Nightwing, Green Arrow, Batman, and Superman sold in my area.

Hmmm, isn't that interesting?

Nightwing, Green Arrow, Batman and Superman sold but Booster Gold and Mary Marvel, among others, became pegwarmers.

But if adult collectors don't care for multiple Batman and Superman variants, who could've bought them?

I'm getting one. I think its awesome. I've been wanting a Atrocitus bad ever since Green Lantern Classics wave two. And im stoked about the three over-sized figures.....bring on DOOMSDAY!!!!!!!.......Brainiac would be nice too......MATTEL ROCKS!!!!

• Like 1

I don't really have a stake in this, got a couple Mattel figures that I really like and that's it...

Readiing through all this though, makes me think about all the Tom-foolery toy companies have to go through to get your money. Now they want to get a few collectors on the hook with subscriptions. What I'm wondering is: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO ADVERTISING???? You know, actual commercials to ADVERTISE figures??? If kids KNEW about this stuff, they'd look for them in the stores! There would be demand, then, theoretically, there would be a supply to meet it! Does that only make sense to ME??? I'm talking about DCUC AND Marvel, AND GI Joe...If someone could get a quote from a Suit in charge of one of these toy lines as to WHY they don't advertise, I'd be very interested in hearing it. After all, they've ALL thrown out the "We're trying to appeal to kids" line at one time or another (laughable as that may be). Don't try to sell me on the fact that Metron or another D-lister can't be sold in stores. Kids don't know who he is? You bet, but they don't necesarily have to. Kids didn't know who GI Joe Sci-Fi was back in 1986. But they saw an actual COMMERCIAL for him while watching their cartoons, it showed a kid their own age playing with him in the sandbox, putting him on a motorcycle and knocking over things, then they saw him in the store and asked mom to buy. I don't see why this formula would not work with even the most obscure superhero character.

Subscriptions. Really?

I don't really have a stake in this, got a couple Mattel figures that I really like and that's it...

Readiing through all this though, makes me think about all the Tom-foolery toy companies have to go through to get your money. Now they want to get a few collectors on the hook with subscriptions. What I'm wondering is: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO ADVERTISING???? You know, actual commercials to ADVERTISE figures??? If kids KNEW about this stuff, they'd look for them in the stores! There would be demand, then, theoretically, there would be a supply to meet it! Does that only make sense to ME??? I'm talking about DCUC AND Marvel, AND GI Joe...If someone could get a quote from a Suit in charge of one of these toy lines as to WHY they don't advertise, I'd be very interested in hearing it. After all, they've ALL thrown out the "We're trying to appeal to kids" line at one time or another (laughable as that may be). Don't try to sell me on the fact that Metron or another D-lister can't be sold in stores. Kids don't know who he is? You bet, but they don't necesarily have to. Kids didn't know who GI Joe Sci-Fi was back in 1986. But they saw an actual COMMERCIAL for him while watching their cartoons, it showed a kid their own age playing with him in the sandbox, putting him on a motorcycle and knocking over things, then they saw him in the store and asked mom to buy. I don't see why this formula would not work with even the most obscure superhero character.

Subscriptions. Really?

I'll tell you why. It costs money to advertise.

And why spend money on original ads when the movie and TV show does it for you?

Don't try to sell me on the fact that Metron or another D-lister can't be sold in stores.

Dear YJB,

I agree. Anyone can be sold.

Sincerely,

Longshot

Indeed it does! So they got to get out there and spend it! Hasbro and Mattel aren't a Mom n Pop business, they're major corporations!!! I never went to business school but I can't imagine anyone IN business saying that advertising isn't the way to go.

Movies and TV work for Star Wars and Transformers. Anything else has to work at it.

(PS, sorry Longshot, even in a perfect world, there will always be pegwarmers. Always has been, always will be.)

Indeed it does! So they got to get out there and spend it! Hasbro and Mattel aren't a Mom n Pop business, they're major corporations!!! I never went to business school but I can't imagine anyone IN business saying that advertising isn't the way to go.

Movies and TV work for Star Wars and Transformers. Anything else has to work at it.

(PS, sorry Longshot, even in a perfect world, there will always be pegwarmers. Always has been, always will be.)

Hey, you said D-Listers. I can come up with a few more if you want. Elektra was a pegwarmer but she's not a D-Lister, even though she should be.

Anyway, I don't know if you saw it in the Joe forum but I posted the 2009 Q3 sales for Hasbro. The Rise of Cobra line was a big deal.

But that's beside the point. I suppose it wouldn't kill Hasbro and Mattel to make an ad for Cartoon network or something like that but these guys are here to maximize profits, not increase expenses.

I'm not saying this is you, but some of us fanboys who make comments like "my wallet is gonna be empty because of Mattel" or "my wife's not gonna like this bill" shouldn't be telling successful businesses how to spend their money.

... that comment had nothing to do with your restaurant analogy and more with your overall attitude towards comic book fandom.

...Which you don't seem to be correct about and still doesn't address anything I've said in this thread. NEXT...!

Let's review:

I hate this hostage-taking Mattel always pulls with their products.

"Hey, Guys! You want 'X?' Well, we need everyone to sign contracts and commit to buying a certain number of 'X' before we decide if it's worth our while to even make it!"

Whatever happened to building your market with good service and a good product?

I decided to open a restaurant in my town. I didn't have the patience to build a healthy clientele by offering quality food and exceptional service so before I went ahead and opened the restaurant, I went to every house in the community and made everyone commit to eating at least one meal a day in my restaurant and pay for it up front. I didn't want to build a market. I want that market to be there instantly the moment I offer my services. If not enough people commit to eating at my restaurant sight unseen and food untasted, then I won't open because I guess that community just doesn't want restaurants in their town.

Build a market. Build a market. Build a market. That's the only thing coming out of your mouth.

Like I said before (and you conveniently ignored), twenty-two waves and a ton of multi-packs later and they haven't built a market?

Oh, wait, they have, despite constant bitching and complaining about this, that and the other thing. Your only argument is they haven't built a market.

However, it did occur to me after I wrote that stuff maybe that market is failing. More on that later.

And yet Mattel does not have the confidence in that model to simply go ahead with the subscriptions instead of dangling it like a ridiculous carrot.

It's pretty embarrassing when people get pissy after an analogy has gone over their head.

Well Jailer, given the attitudes of some people here and at The Fwoosh before the subscription business started, it's obvious they know what they're doing.

Maybe the truth is the DCUC market isn't as big as people claim it is. I mean, we got "The Champ" talking about fan support being there while he says f this character and f that character. What a joke.

I see very few people behind this line legit. SuperPowers may be the only one here.

I have five Wal-Marts and three Targets in my area and these things have barely been touched. Maybe that's just The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations but I doubt it.

I'm just running out of s*** to say because I got the most out of what I cherrypicked and my boss is off wrecking another forum.

That's fine. Again, as you conveniently ignored, I agreed that the subscription meter is a little ridiculous. It would be nice if they released the number of their goal so it can be justly condoned or condemned.

But, this stuff has to make money. There's no point in selling these things if they don't make money.

They had a market and for whatever reason they lost it. And given the borderline mutinies over the years and lukewarm reaction to some of the "theme" waves, it appears justified to ask fans to show their support.

But if the DCUC "fan support" others have been crowing about is there then it shouldn't be a problem reaching that goal, which again, you conveniently ignored.

I like this subscription but the figures don't appeal to me I had a DC Direct Atrocitus

I may do this monthly if I change my mind on something and there aren't any other firgures from Voltron or MOTUC to grab

... that comment had nothing to do with your restaurant analogy and more with your overall attitude towards comic book fandom.

...Which you don't seem to be correct about and still doesn't address anything I've said in this thread. NEXT...!

Again, that comment has nothing to do with your idiotic new restaurant analogy that you're comparing to a product that's been around for three and a half years.

On a personal note, I have addressed everything you've said. You're the one who makes a habit of taking tidbits out of every argument you f****** hypocrite.

Maybe you should go the the Marvel Forum and cry about the boots Cap's wearing in his new film.

Again, that comment has nothing to do with your idiotic new restaurant analogy that you're comparing to a product that's been around for three and a half years.

On a personal note, I have addressed everything you've said. You're the one who makes a habit of taking tidbits out of every argument you f****** hypocrite.

Maybe you should go the the Marvel Forum and cry about the boots Cap's wearing in his new film.

Oh come on guys really??

Let's review:

I hate this hostage-taking Mattel always pulls with their products.

"Hey, Guys! You want 'X?' Well, we need everyone to sign contracts and commit to buying a certain number of 'X' before we decide if it's worth our while to even make it!"

Whatever happened to building your market with good service and a good product?

I decided to open a restaurant in my town. I didn't have the patience to build a healthy clientele by offering quality food and exceptional service so before I went ahead and opened the restaurant, I went to every house in the community and made everyone commit to eating at least one meal a day in my restaurant and pay for it up front. I didn't want to build a market. I want that market to be there instantly the moment I offer my services. If not enough people commit to eating at my restaurant sight unseen and food untasted, then I won't open because I guess that community just doesn't want restaurants in their town.

Build a market. Build a market. Build a market. That's the only thing coming out of your mouth.

Like I said before (and you conveniently ignored), twenty-two waves and a ton of multi-packs later and they haven't built a market?

Oh, wait, they have, despite constant bitching and complaining about this, that and the other thing. Your only argument is they haven't built a market.

However, it did occur to me after I wrote that stuff maybe that market is failing. More on that later.

And yet Mattel does not have the confidence in that model to simply go ahead with the subscriptions instead of dangling it like a ridiculous carrot.

It's pretty embarrassing when people get pissy after an analogy has gone over their head.

Well Jailer, given the attitudes of some people here and at The Fwoosh before the subscription business started, it's obvious they know what they're doing.

Maybe the truth is the DCUC market isn't as big as people claim it is. I mean, we got "The Champ" talking about fan support being there while he says f this character and f that character. What a joke.

I see very few people behind this line legit. SuperPowers may be the only one here.

I have five Wal-Marts and three Targets in my area and these things have barely been touched. Maybe that's just The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations but I doubt it.

I'm just running out of s*** to say because I got the most out of what I cherrypicked and my boss is off wrecking another forum.

That's fine. Again, as you conveniently ignored, I agreed that the subscription meter is a little ridiculous. It would be nice if they released the number of their goal so it can be justly condoned or condemned.

But, this stuff has to make money. There's no point in selling these things if they don't make money.

They had a market and for whatever reason they lost it. And given the borderline mutinies over the years and lukewarm reaction to some of the "theme" waves, it appears justified to ask fans to show their support.

But if the DCUC "fan support" others have been crowing about is there then it shouldn't be a problem reaching that goal, which again, you conveniently ignored.

You live in Providence RI, I have a buddy who lives up there and works at the Providence Civic Center

You live in Providence RI, I have a buddy who lives up there and works at the Providence Civic Center

I live pretty close. You know your history too. I still call it the Providence Civic Center even though they sold out to Dunkin' Donuts years ago.

I live pretty close. You know your history too. I still call it the Providence Civic Center even though they sold out to Dunkin' Donuts years ago.

I know a guy who has a concert I want that was filmed at the Civic Center back in 1981, my buddy works at the Civic Center and has been helping in trying to secure the concert from the guy to know avail. The Providence Civiv Center is one of the last of the old arenas still standing, many from that era are gone, they finally tore down Philly's Spectrum last year. The Providence Civic Center became very popular for acts who wanted the Boston area but couldn't get the Garden because of pyro restrictions.

• Like 1

It seems to me if they wanted to give this any kind of fair chance, they'd offer it for longer than two weeks. Especially since the first figure doesn't come out until April and they already have the first three ready to go.

If they really wanted this subscription to work, they'd give it enough time for people to become aware of it and time to order it. Like until December.

With four days to go, it seems that the thermometer on the Matty site has just crept into the mid twenties. If there is anything at all to this reading, and with four days to go for people to sign up, it's not looking good for this subscription service to happen.

I hope Matty can find another way to offer us that Jay Garrick figure.

dc x2

voltron x1

motu x2

etco x1

so, lemme get this straight...there really is a demand for an online-only Voltron toy line but not to continue DC Universe Classics in any form?!

Voltron?! @bs@

I love it when people make it sound like if we don't bend over and take the subscription with a smile there won't ever be any DCUC again. If the sub flies, there will still be DC figures in stores, if it tanks, we'll still have DCUC in stores.

Even with wave 20 being "the end" at retail? how long after, in your crystal ball, what with all the DC reboot shenanigans and secret plans?

And my post was more to imply that Voltron sucks...big floppy donkey dick.