Who's at work?

RockthePlank

I had last wed thurs and friday off (I dont work weekends) for my vacation/anniversary. Today is the second day back, and I feel dead in the water!

Thankfully I have next Monday off! I love working bankers hours and getting the holidays off!

• 3 months later...

Breathe dammit, breathe!

Yes, we've got a pulse, but it's weak... TOPIC REVIVED!

OK anyhow, here I am, at the night job, for the last time ever, hopefully. It's been 2 and a half years, which is about 2 years too long. I work night audit for a second job a few nights a week and man, I am really glad to finally have it end. I hate it here, I hate listening to stupid complaints and having to listen to people try and weasel there way into a free night stay. I hate running to people's rooms at 2 am to show them how to change channels on the remote (seriously, it's happened) I hate explaining to prostitutes why they cannot rent a room here. I hate having to listen to people talk about how terrible there stay was, yet I see they have stayed here 5 times in the last year. I hate being half asleep at my job the next day. I hate the way it makes my body physically ache to only sleep every other night for weeks at a time.

Out of all those things I hate, and trust me I could still continue writing, what I hate the most, is leaving my wife at 10:45 at night. I recently paid off some debt and got a promotion at work, so with those combined I can finally walk away from this place. Sure I'll miss all the food I eat out of the kitchen at night when I am here alone, but that is about it! Tonight has been great so far, only a few more stupid hours to go!

Anyone here change jobs recently? Maybe got something about work ya need to get off your chest?

I know what you mean about working nights. On June 6th. I'll have 17 years on this job and all but 4 months of it has been at night!

I haven't slept well since I was in my early 20's!

Damn dude! Thats impressive! I am starting to worry about my health, not that anything bad has happened, but I really just need to dedicate myself to the day job now.

Seriously, here's to all the night hours people! It's tough staying up all night and never sleeping, no matter how long you do it, you never get used to it.

I never had a job where I used a computer for internet purposes most companies I have worked for you cannot get regular computer access to the internet.They have there own system and thats it

OBTW I go from store to store setting up planograms

One good thing about office jobs is I can post throughout the day...

What do you "office" guys do? I mean to have a job with internet access all day would be awesome

I look at spreadsheets for the majority of the time...

You went to college for that? :P

What do you "office" guys do? I mean to have a job with internet access all day would be awesome

I went to college so I can get in the door... This type of work can be done as long as you have common sense...

I went to college so I can get in the door... This type of work can be done as long as you have common sense...

Basically college is a waste of time

Basically college is a waste of time

I wouldnt say that... Higher education is a good thing...

Yeah but to go to a place and have a college education and not use it?

I used the college degree to get in the door... I wouldnt even have the opportunity to present myself if I didnt... In the business field everything can be learned on the job... I mean you get the basic in a classroom but nothing beats real life experience...

Yeah but to go to a place and have a college education and not use it?

I used the college degree to get in the door... I wouldnt even have the opportunity to present myself if I didnt... In the business field everything can be learned on the job... I mean you get the basic in a classroom but nothing beats real life experience...

I hate that buisnesses do this.I never went to college and worked in retail for years even becoming a Dept mgr in most of those stores.Then I get to Target where you need a college education to be one..That was total BS

I know a guy who once got a job as a store manager at Walmart with a BS in Marine Biology. I thought that was pretty awesome. It makes me wonder how important picking a major really is though. It seems like all kinds of selection processes are getting more arbitrary these days. Back in my parent's day you could still get by with an associate's degree, which is what my mom got, but my old man went as far as a bachelor's. Now it seems like you need at least a master's degree to make decent money. I can't help but wonder if in twenty years they'll invent a whole new degree once having a doctorate becomes the new standard for success.

Maybe at that point the guy serving you at the local McDonald's will have a master's degree in anthropology. He wrote his thesis on Ronald McDonald as a postmodern cultural icon.

Assuming one has the resources, I sometimes wonder if maybe it might be advantageous to get a bachelor's in whatever interests the individual most and then get a master's in something more practical. It might add a bit of balance at least, unless you're looking to get into a really specific career field.

And apparently I'm the only one who loves working overnight shifts :P

I know a guy who once got a job as a store manager at Walmart with a BS in Marine Biology. I thought that was pretty awesome. It makes me wonder how important picking a major really is though. It seems like all kinds of selection processes are getting more arbitrary these days. Back in my parent's day you could still get by with an associate's degree, which is what my mom got, but my old man went as far as a bachelor's. Now it seems like you need at least a master's degree to make decent money. I can't help but wonder if in twenty years they'll invent a whole new degree once having a doctorate becomes the new standard for success.

Maybe at that point the guy serving you at the local McDonald's will have a master's degree in anthropology. He wrote his thesis on Ronald McDonald as a postmodern cultural icon.

Assuming one has the resources, I sometimes wonder if maybe it might be advantageous to get a bachelor's in whatever interests the individual most and then get a master's in something more practical. It might add a bit of balance at least, unless you're looking to get into a really specific career field.

I'm ok with working nights.

I worked overnights for 6 years straight before I wanted a change.LOL he is a store mgr with a Marine Biologist education:P..and not a buisness education like they want you to have at Target :P

My company has started to only look at applicants with a masters degree...

Wheeljack, being an "office guy" suits me well. Myself, I work with spreadsheets some, but most I maintain the non-technical side of our main bank processing software. I mostly process daily happenings of the bank and trouble shoot issues our managers have with our products. I didn't go to college really, I have taken three classes and only completed two of them. I just didn't care for it. Honestly I feel like I make decent enough money to get by, as long as Ive got my wife and money for figures, I am fine.

What I love most about working here is the time off I get. I work the standard 40 hour, Monday through Friday bankers hours (go figure) But having been here for atleast 5 years, I now get three weeks off a year, as well as already having a week of sick time and three personal days, all paid. Add on top of that all the national holidays we are closed (I get paid for those too, there are 10 a year) and I get a close to two months of pay for doing nothing.

Now if I had to make a list of things I hate, I think I probably wouldnt get any work actually done here for the rest of the day, lol.

Yeah man, I HATE the night shift I used to work. It probably wouldnt have been so bad if I didnt have to skip sleep and go back to work.

I worked overnights for 6 years straight before I wanted a change.LOL he is a store mgr with a Marine Biologist education:P..and not a buisness education like they want you to have at Target :P

I always wondered about that, I guess Target has higher standards.

My company has started to only look at applicants with a masters degree...

It's getting pretty ridiculous. That reminds me of an article I saw last year: No Jobless Applicants I think eventually something's going to give. The more they raise the bar, the more people are going to reach for the new standard. It creates a perpetual cycle. I had to laugh when I read that particular article. I can't help but wonder why anybody would want to hire somebody knowing they spend their days surfing the want ads looking to jump ship at the fist hint of a better deal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems odd on the employer's end.

Yeah man, I HATE the night shift I used to work. It probably wouldnt have been so bad if I didnt have to skip sleep and go back to work.

I guess that's the main thing, the night shift is only cool as long as you're not missing out on something else in the process. And if you get to deal with fewer people at night too, otherwise having to deal with people like you would during the day just ruins the whole point.

I guess I stand corrected. Much respect to the night shifters here.