The X Men cartoon

yojoebro82

Yeah, thanks! I own the 1st and 3rd DVD and was about to go buy more, now I don't have to! They're right in line next to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers :)

I am ashamed to say MMPR is in my que also. One day I just watched a ton of them, all the ones I deemed "classic" which happen to all be about Tommy either gaining powers or losing them. It's nice to watch through adult eyes, I mean I knew it was all about the toys when I was a kid, I just didn't realize how bad it was. It seems like every few episodes there is SOMETHING new! A new zord, a new weapon, something to keep us kids saying "I WANT THAT!"

Has anyone watched the Avengers cartoon? I am really liking it, but I will admit I don't care for whoever does Ironman, he sounds too much like Jack Black (shutter)

If I had to choose a show to watch, it'd definitely be Avengers.

I grew up on MMPR. I had all the pieces for the Megazord, missed out on Dragonzord, and even got the Thunderzords. It was a great show, but they were clearly trying to sell merchandise like the shows of the 80's. With Avengers, there is no toyline driving the show (unless you want to count Marvel Universe).

I am ashamed to say MMPR is in my que also. One day I just watched a ton of them, all the ones I deemed "classic" which happen to all be about Tommy either gaining powers or losing them. It's nice to watch through adult eyes, I mean I knew it was all about the toys when I was a kid, I just didn't realize how bad it was. It seems like every few episodes there is SOMETHING new! A new zord, a new weapon, something to keep us kids saying "I WANT THAT!"

Has anyone watched the Avengers cartoon? I am really liking it, but I will admit I don't care for whoever does Ironman, he sounds too much like Jack Black (shutter)

I love how you just seemlessly went from how bad Power Rangers was through the eyes of an adult to talking about how great the Avengers cartoon is.

See, like BigBot said, the life blood of the MMPR is the toys, through and through. The show tells you to buy the toys, which is what I noticed was over-the-top in terms of the lack of subtlety about it. Now Avengers is seems to run more on the Disney model, which is the show reminds you to see the movies and read the comics, the comics remind you to see the movie and to watch the show, and the movie reminds you to read the comics and watch the show. They all feed off of each other, which is one of the reasons Disney is so successful. Also like BigBot said, there are no toys for Avengers to pimp, so it's not really the same.

I don't want to compare the Avengers cartoon to MMPR, simply because it's all apples and oranges (but I will anyway). My major gripe (if you can even call it that since I don't hate the show at all) with the Rangers is how obvious the whole thing is. Completely see through in terms of marketing with no real substance. Yeah I knew it wasn't perfect as a kid, but I still enjoyed it, but as an adult, it barely holds my interest (which it really shouldn't anyhow) I can appreciate the Avengers for a few reasons, but mainly that it is well written.

I will admit, Im about 10 episodes deep in Avengers, but I am really liking it. As previously mentioned, the show is really well written, not perfect, but a good take on things. Now the MMPR writing is REALLY bad, most episodes follow the same plot, Rita finds a way to exploit a specific ranger or rangers, creates a monster with that theme, sends him to Angel Grove, "It's Morphin' Time!", then it's "make my monster grow" and then finally "we need Megazord power now!" and Bulk and Skull provide some sort of comic relief. I enjoyed the heck out of it as a kid, but not so much now beyond nostalgia. Avengers can hold my interest and keeps me coming

And for the record, I'd go with Power Rangers. The show generated some of the best TV I've seen to date,

Ha! I wouldn't go that far. I enjoyed it for what it was, but a show who's number one job is to sell toys can only be so good.

• Like 1

And for the record, I'd go with Power Rangers. The show generated some of the best TV I've seen to date,

Ha! I wouldn't go that far. I enjoyed it for what it was, but a show who's number one job is to sell toys can only be so good.

You nailed it YoJoe! There was a time when I was about 8 or 9 that I would have agreed with mako, but I've seen far better written television since. Now I haven't seen any of those spin off versions you mentioned mako, there could be some really good stuff in there. If you can recommend an episode, Ill check it out on netflix, since the premise of the show could make for some interesting stories,,, but I gotta see it to believe it.

I know it is totally off subject, but THE best written show, for me, is Arrested Development.

The end result: motion picture director Steven Wang was hired to direct the story of two Rangers, in their civilian identities, being dispatched with a team of soldiers to investigate a distress call from an alien space craft. On the craft, they find a ship full of half-eaten, dead and decaying (humanoid) bodies, and the creature who killed them. No morphing, no Zords, and the other Rangers don't even appear in costume until literally the last few seconds of the episode.

You might also check out "Coutdown to Destruction" from Power Rangers in Space and another Lost Galaxy ep. titled "Power of Pink," both of which feature the deaths of major series characters. Another episode of Lost Galaxy (this show didn't mess around) involved the on-screen murder of an adolescent boy, but I can't recall the title. It was either Silent Sleep or Orion Rising.

Same plots my. . .

OK, OK. I passed on PR after PR in Space, but you may have convinced me to check these episodes out. Heck, it's free...

You nailed it YoJoe! There was a time when I was about 8 or 9 that I would have agreed with mako, but I've seen far better written television since. Now I haven't seen any of those spin off versions you mentioned mako, there could be some really good stuff in there. If you can recommend an episode, Ill check it out on netflix, since the premise of the show could make for some interesting stories,,, but I gotta see it to believe it.

I know it is totally off subject, but THE best written show, for me, is Arrested Development.

There were actually, quite a few stand-outs, but the one that epecially comes to mind when somebody moans about "the same plot over and over," would have to be "Rescue Mission" from Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy. Just so you get the idea, on the strength of Power Rangers performance in the ratings up to that point, and to help replace some episodes which were left unproduced due to the major illness of a cast member, for one twenty-two minute episode Fox Broacasting waved all budgetary, and Standards and Practices limitations for the show. Basically, they could spend any amount to do anything they wanted.

The end result: motion picture director Steven Wang was hired to direct the story of two Rangers, in their civilian identities, being dispatched with a team of soldiers to investigate a distress call from an alien space craft. On the craft, they find a ship full of half-eaten, dead and decaying (humanoid) bodies, and the creature who killed them. No morphing, no Zords, and the other Rangers don't even appear in costume until literally the last few seconds of the episode.

You might also check out "Coutdown to Destruction" from Power Rangers in Space and another Lost Galaxy ep. titled "Power of Pink," both of which feature the deaths of major series characters. Another episode of Lost Galaxy (this show didn't mess around) involved the on-screen murder of an adolescent boy, but I can't recall the title. It was either Silent Sleep or Orion Rising.

Same plots my. . .

I was a huge power ranger fan growing up I honsetly had all the zords for turbo unfortunately when in space came out it was during Beastwars so I didn't manage to get any zords. now that I think about it in Space's finale was one of the best episodes of the entire franchise

Power Rangers in the X-Men cartoon forum -- :OT:

I used to be into Power Rangers, but around the second or third season I didn't follow it anymore. I never liked how the characters changed and I hated Tommy and how he was the new main guy everybody liked. I always felt that Tommy took too much away from the core group, hated when Tommy became the most popular Ranger, what about Jason and the crew....LOL

PR will forever be revolutionary, can't believe it is still going strong.

I used to be into Power Rangers, but around the second or third season I didn't follow it anymore. I never liked how the characters changed and I hated Tommy and how he was the new main guy everybody liked. I always felt that Tommy took too much away from the core group, hated when Tommy became the most popular Ranger, what about Jason and the crew....LOL

No doubt, I kinda forgot about it really, but I will give some of those episodes mako said a shot when I get some spare time at home.

Back to the topic, that one shot episode you mentioned SP is a really cool episode. I remember my grandma brought it home from the store (like she did with all the cartoons we liked to watch) and I was surprised when it wasn't the X-Men cartoon I had grown to love with all the kids at school. But after watching it, I really liked it, even though Wolverine had the WORST voice ever (Austrailian? WTF?) it was still very cool and the theme still haunts my dreams "X-MEN, X-MEN!"

Heck even that awesome arcade game was based off this particular episode.

I downloaded that game onto my PS3. Not as awesome as I remember. I played it in the arcade constantly 20 years ago so I felt I had to own it. Just a lot of punch, punch, punch, jump, jump, jump. If you keep that up for a half hour (literally) you beat the game.

Indeed it is! But I started this thread and I think I'm the first to bring up PR, so I say keep it up if you want :)

I watched Rescue Mission and it was indeed pretty good. Minus points, however for them being able to stick their heads out the spaceship door and jump from ship to ship with no protection, as if they weren't in the cold, merciless varuum of space. Still...."A-" for that ep.

(kind of along the same line, anyone remember a PR in Space episode where they teamed up with the Ninja Turtles? At the end, they all went for a big, jolly space joy ride on the Ranger's surfboards. Again, the Turtles were somehow able to breathe. Weak!)

No doubt, I kinda forgot about it really, but I will give some of those episodes mako said a shot when I get some spare time at home.

Back to the topic, that one shot episode you mentioned SP is a really cool episode. I remember my grandma brought it home from the store (like she did with all the cartoons we liked to watch) and I was surprised when it wasn't the X-Men cartoon I had grown to love with all the kids at school. But after watching it, I really liked it, even though Wolverine had the WORST voice ever (Austrailian? WTF?) it was still very cool and the theme still haunts my dreams "X-MEN, X-MEN!"

That single episode is a mind blower for many because I did see it when it originally aired, but when I got the tape way back when I thought I had seen more episodes when I actually had only seen the single show. That cartoon was the last of the 80's style animation that went away in the 90's and it remains one of the best animated cartoons ever, even if it is only a single episode.

Nice that grandmom bought you guys toons to watch.

Heck even that awesome arcade game was based off this particular episode.

I downloaded that game onto my PS3. Not as awesome as I remember. I played it in the arcade constantly 20 years ago so I felt I had to own it. Just a lot of punch, punch, punch, jump, jump, jump. If you keep that up for a half hour (literally) you beat the game.

See for me I play games very differently than most people so simple side scrolling action games work well for me. That game still holds up to me personally. I don't like games to be difficult, I like just a small challenge because in my mind I am playing out a whole different story and characterization of the person I am playing. I really get into it on a personal level so if it is too hard I lose that and it doesn't become fun for me anymore.....I know its weird.

That single episode is a mind blower for many because I did see it when it originally aired, but when I got the tape way back when I thought I had seen more episodes when I actually had only seen the single show.

It's funny you should say that, as a lot of people have no idea what that one-off "Pryde of the X-Men" actually was.

Contrary to popular belief, it was never meant as, or presented as, a pilot for a potential series. There was an earlier attempt at an X-Men series to be spun off of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (ultimately killed when NBC picked up Smurfs instead @hmmm@ ), but that was a totally different animal.

In truth, Pryde was nothing more than a presentation piece commisioned by Marvel to introduce potential licensors to the X-Men Universe.

Yes Virginia, there was a time when Wolverine was not a house-hold name, and nobody but die-hard comic book geeks knew, or cared, what the X-Men were.

When Pryde failed to attract enough licensor attention, Marvel opted to recoup some of the production money they put up by selling it through comic book ads, and eventually as a filler segment for their Marvel Action Universe series. Naturally, when Fox started making a fortune selling videoes of the '90's X-toon, Pryde was officially released to cash in.

Never knew it wasn't a pilot, just knew I saw it on TV as a kid first until I bought the vid in the mid 90's. Oh and yes it was my first introduction into the X-Men, who could of forseen what an entity they would become in a few short years from the time of this show.

I now wonder what Marvel had hoped to gain from the episode, what type of licensor attention did they want?

Ah man, I remember watching that Turtles live action cross over. I remember it being horrible.

It so was, as many strange things as the ninja turtles as done, that was the strangest. not because they hung out with people with morphing powers, but because they hung out with and crosses over to the universe of the show that ended their reign! As a kid i liked power rangers... in till i noticed it caused everyone to stop talking about TMNT and if i had to pick one, i'd side with TMNT any day.

I watched PR in their begining and off and off for a bit after that. I'll even admit to checking out a few episoides of dino thunder because of Tommy. I think it's insane that one guy had been white, black, red, and green! We really need to see him one more time to get him in blue :). I also liked the concept of SPD and saw a few of those, but to me, when Zordon was gone, so was I.

So... back to the x-men. I've been rewatching on Netflix and the Magento's origin doesn't even mention WWII or Israel! that was a shocker because I was sure it did, i guess i learned elsewhere as a kid and just thought it was the same in the toon.

The 90's Spiderman cartoon is now available on Netflix, we can now spend our Saturdays the same as we did when we were 10 and we spent all day watching cartoons in our underwear eating FrootLoops... if only I had some Ecto-Cooler, I'd be set

The 90's Spiderman cartoon is now available on Netflix, we can now spend our Saturdays the same as we did when we were 10 and we spent all day watching cartoons in our underwear eating FrootLoops... if only I had some Ecto-Cooler, I'd be set

one of things that got me most excited about the potential for a third ghostbusters film? A chance at ecto-cooler again. Goodness i want me some!

Xmen sucks!!!! Worst cartoon ever!!!!

Just joking haha guys don't hit me not in the face not in the face!!!! @smilepunch@ LOL!

one of things that got me most excited about the potential for a third ghostbusters film? A chance at ecto-cooler again. Goodness i want me some!

Dude ecto cooler was, how should I put it without over selling it... the nectar of the Gods themselves! Seeing Slimer at lunch time, at school, is a cheerished childhood memory. If they ever put it back in store, even for a short time, I would stock pile it like CRAZY! I think Hi-C under estimates the power of their cooler!

Kill him! String him up by his feet! His opinion is different from mine! Conformity is the REAL spice of life!

Blasphemy cardinal fang fetch the comfy chair!