Warner Bros. to Pursue 'Green Lantern' Sequel

Wheeljack35

i live in the middle of europe and the movie isnt out overseas. warner made a bad move here. it was suppose to hit by the end of july and now it is pushed back to the middle of august. thats for europe it is. sad because with such a big summer movie a lot will download it. specialy with the reviews that arent great to begin with. warner is to blame if it doesnt make more then that. i cant wait for it to come but 2 months after the us release is a joke if you ask me. i bet that a lot of countrys are also renegociating the price and warner cant sell it anymore as the huge new thing to come now that the us results are low.

and the rest of the world doesn't just care about batman and superman because thor was great around here too and so where other marvel movies but if warner dont decide to bring the movie out sooner, then sadly we cant watch it. it has nothing to do with overseas people (sounds like an avatar clan lol) are just into batman or superman lol.

WHAT.......it isn't out across Europe yet???....what the flip is Warner doing??? I knew something was up, but you have to be kidding me on the release of this movie in August and it has been out already for two months. I knew there was a problem wasn't saying that the problem was from European audiences, but wondering why the overseas sales were soooooo small. Well that makes plenty of sense now that you shared that info. Geez what a way for Warner to undermine their own efforts. I wonder if this was a blunder by some exec or if something bad happened.

i didnt understood it either why it gets a release so late. i was so hyped to see it. i cant even tell why they decided to push it even more late from end of july to mid august. dont know what happend there. its a shame for now a days that it takes so long. transformers begins at the same time, pirates4 too. every big blockbuster begins everywhere at the same time. maybe there is sometimes a difference about a week ot two but thats ok. same #$## happend with batman the dark knight. it was suppose to come 2 months after the release in the us and when the movie made a huge number at the box office in the us and reports on tv said that it was the most downloaded movie ever on the net, they release it as soon as possible everywhere. i guess 2 weeks after the us release we could see it.

Here it will arrive also in august which I can't for the life of me figure out since all the movies here open either the same week or the next. To be honest between the delay and the bad word of mouth I'm losing interest. I'm still gonna see it when it opens but I have my reservations; I think it was a bad move on Warner's part not making this movie available overseas and other places faster especially with what they spent on marketing. It doesn't help every site I go to has some spoiler of the movie.

Don't forget: This movie has not even opened in large portions of the globe.

It doesn't hit South America and parts of eastern Europe until August. In many other places, it opens in July.

By the time the Domestic box-office + DVD sales + direct-to-TV sales are added to international receipts, this movie will have turned a nice profit.

It's budget was $200 million, and it's already made half of that back just from ticket sales in the USA.

There WILL be a sequel.

i talked to my boss yesterday about green lantern and its release and we had a good talk. he worked a lot of years in a theater. he loves movies and mostly every day he goes to watch a movie. he said that when a movie changes the date at last minute in other countrys then it could be that it might get recut. not much. maybe they edit it differently to make it more interesting. he said that this happens often back in the day. he also said that green lantern is a total flop. he isnt sure how they handle the rights and negociations about a license in the states but he doesnt believe that warner gets all that money the movie is making. he says warner may get 50% or 60% of it. wich i believe, i mean with what would theaters live from if warner gets everything??? except if theaters are owned by warner then it is a total cash in, i guess.

in europe a group will buy the movie license way early and then he has to sell it to different theater groups. then negociations begin with how long a movie has to be in the biggest screen before they can remove it to smaller ones. so a theater manager doesnt even have the right to remove it if it goes weak. they put up contracts and everything. sure when the movie is a total disaster then they talk to each other and come up with something but the seller can insist to let it up there even if it makes no money. my boss said that most of the time they work something out because they understand each other.

wolfman, fast5 and thor didn't play in one group of theaters around here. it was weird because fast 5 and thor were big movies to bring on screen for this year but i guess the movie theater wanted to proof a point. my boss still knows a lot of people and he was curius to know why they didnt' play these movies and he said to me it was because of the 3D glasses and that the seller wanted 50% more of the extra charge theaters took for the glasses and the theater manager said that if they wanna have 50% of that extra charge then they have to give us 50% of the damaged classes we have to repair everytime. the owner wasnt pleased with that either and thats why some blockbusters got totally lost this year in a certain theater group. great that they dont care to play some big movie just to proof a point if you ask me. as long as they know what they do and how far they can push it.

it was relly interesting to hear him out. it really is a new point of view to me about all this

and my conclusion: it is a scary and crazy world out there i tell ya. lol lol

• Like 1

That's really really stupid. I still think It has a chance to come close to making its money back but by doing that it definitely does not help!

Draven

It is stupid it's worse than the fact that I have to wait another month to see it, I have no doubt the movie will do well overseas specially if it comes out on August since by then the Harry Potter/Transformers(the top 2 grossers this summer imo) hype had died down and people will give it a chance. For me this movie had a lot more riding on it than earning its budget back the it had the future of other DC projects riding on it; Flash,Hawkman(they're working on the possibility on making a movie), Wonder Woman and more importantly Justice League. I think DC has some sort of curse where they have trouble successfully bringing a franchise other than Batman or Superman to the small/big screen, in Wonder Woman's case Joss Whedon walked out of the project after a couple of years and creative differences we all know how it went with the TV series. I'm glad they're making a sequel especially since it brings me hope for a Flash movie and who knows maybe.....a Deadman movie I know it's unlikely but a guy can dream right?

The whole situation is a bust really. Green Lantern was actually a very good movie that was panned by the critics because they couldn't understand it or accept the fact that Hal Jordan didn't need to fall into that typical lame duck who became a superhero. In this case he was born to be one and just had to overcome fear.........that is actually a very uncommon occurence in action movies. That bad press by critics had a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon but it seems the census and/or those with genuine thought liked the movie.........it really was good.

I hope they continue with this movie and push it to its heights. It really should of outshined Thor but so far it hasn't. That lack of releasing it overseas at the same time as its American debut is really bad, can you guys imagine how this movie is circulating around in bootleg format by now. Everyone and their mother will of seen the movie by the time its released. Someone messed up big time at Warner. Big Time. The saving grace may lie in the fact that Transformers 3 is utter trash, the worst movie of the bunch so far, hopefully word of mouth will kill that one and save GL.

Here is to more DC stuff making it to the screen. Oh and yes Belmont a Deadman movie would be great.

The way the profit split works between theaters and the studio is this(and each studio has a different plan so this isn't exact, just a broad example): The first week the studio gets like 80-90% and the theater gets 10-20%. Then with each progressive week, the studios take drops and the theater gets more. So after a month, if a film is doing well, the theater is getting more than 50%. But movies turn over so quickly, theaters usually don't see all that much. Its a well known fact theaters stay in business and turn a profit based on their concession sales and NOT ticket sales.

The whole situation is a bust really. Green Lantern was actually a very good movie that was panned by the critics because they couldn't understand it or accept the fact that Hal Jordan didn't need to fall into that typical lame duck who became a superhero. In this case he was born to be one and just had to overcome fear.........that is actually a very uncommon occurence in action movies. That bad press by critics had a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon but it seems the census and/or those with genuine thought liked the movie.........it really was good.

I hope they continue with this movie and push it to its heights. It really should of outshined Thor but so far it hasn't. That lack of releasing it overseas at the same time as its American debut is really bad, can you guys imagine how this movie is circulating around in bootleg format by now. Everyone and their mother will of seen the movie by the time its released. Someone messed up big time at Warner. Big Time. The saving grace may lie in the fact that Transformers 3 is utter trash, the worst movie of the bunch so far, hopefully word of mouth will kill that one and save GL.

Here is to more DC stuff making it to the screen. Oh and yes Belmont a Deadman movie would be great.

I don't think many, save the critics (like with GL) think Dark of the Moon is trash. I think it's the best of the trilogy and I really liked the first one. Buzz on the TF boards is the same and considering it almost made more money in the first day than GL made in the first weekend, it could be bad news for GL. Don't get me wrong. At the start of the summer GL was at the top of my list as movie I thought was going to be amazing good and, though I really liked it, I'd be lying if I thought it was the best thing I've seen this summer. I want it to succeed, but Transformers, even in an off market, will do well and that will hurt other movies.

The way the profit split works between theaters and the studio is this(and each studio has a different plan so this isn't exact, just a broad example): The first week the studio gets like 80-90% and the theater gets 10-20%. Then with each progressive week, the studios take drops and the theater gets more. So after a month, if a film is doing well, the theater is getting more than 50%. But movies turn over so quickly, theaters usually don't see all that much. Its a well known fact theaters stay in business and turn a profit based on their concession sales and NOT ticket sales.

The information you provided is very true, just read an article about the facts you presented, however we still haven't seen first a first run of GL on the international market.

good to know. thanks

I don't think many, save the critics (like with GL) think Dark of the Moon is trash. I think it's the best of the trilogy and I really liked the first one. Buzz on the TF boards is the same and considering it almost made more money in the first day than GL made in the first weekend, it could be bad news for GL. Don't get me wrong. At the start of the summer GL was at the top of my list as movie I thought was going to be amazing good and, though I really liked it, I'd be lying if I thought it was the best thing I've seen this summer. I want it to succeed, but Transformers, even in an off market, will do well and that will hurt other movies.

I don't visit the other TF boards but the popular census here is that TF3 wasn't good. I agree that TF is the big one that will hurt other movies, but I wonder if word of mouth will somewhat derail it, you never know it was just a thought. So far I enjoyed all the movies I saw this summer but IMO Transformers was the worst and is really one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I don't know about Transformers, might try to catch it this weekend if I have time but a coworker saw it and told me that it was as crappy as the second one, according to him the only good thing were the Special Effects and the action, but the crappy forced comedy is back and also there were a lot bad moments with the plot and characters which he didn't get into detail to avoid spoilers but assure me I would know when I saw it. Also I don't think it has done well according to this article it underperformed compared to the previous 2:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3197

I don't know about Transformers, might try to catch it this weekend if I have time but a coworker saw it and told me that it was as crappy as the second one, according to him the only good thing were the Special Effects and the action, but the crappy forced comedy is back and also there were a lot bad moments with the plot and characters which he didn't get into detail to avoid spoilers but assure me I would know when I saw it. Also I don't think it has done well according to this article it underperformed compared to the previous 2:

Wanna bet? It's rumored to suppose to be taking in $400 million world wide when the weekend is over. That shows how much Warners dropped the ball by not following suit with GL and releasing it world wide now.

Currently, TF:DOtM has pulled in $162 million domestically in it's first week, which puts it $80 million behind the Hangover 2, which is the highest grossing movie of the year so far and in it's sixth week. Don't believe I would call that too shabby so far.

So what do people want to see in a Green Lantern sequel? More cosmic or more earthbound events? I just want Sinestro to stay a quasi-good guy in the second movie and not turn into a villain yet. Any ideas for a good villain? I don't know much about Green Lantern's rogues gallery pre-Sinestro War, so please post pics of your ideas!

PharmV

Earthbound or cosmic doesn't matter to me as long as they keep the flavor of the original movie. Took my girl and her daughter to see it and the little girl loved it. She kept talking about Green Lantern to me.

Loved that sucker punch at the end and did anyone else notice that building when Hal first learned to fly? When he a Tomar are flying one of the building stands out as it blantantly looks like a giant "dude rode".....had to of been done on purpose as some inside joke or something.

So what do people want to see in a Green Lantern sequel?

Well, mine will never happen. I like the idea of Kyle coming in and taking over as Earth's ONLY GL, taking the place of a fall-from-grace Hal Jordan. Of course in the comics they went and killed of ALL the GL Corps in the process...I wouldn't have gone down that road. Kilowog, Sinestro, etc, are just too cool.

But I thought it would have been cool if Hal would try to atone for his sins by exiling himself from earth, let the world and all it's heroes (besides Kyle) believe he's dead, and try to make up for everything by kicking @$$ across the galaxy.

But yeah....that will never happen.

Hollywood accounting is a joke. I'm sure they could make it look like Avatar lost money if they wanted too.

And sometimes the numbers do speak for themselves. There's no number juggling here...

After the July 1-4 weekend, Green Lantern, now in it's THIRD week, falls off 56% in ticket sales. Against a 200 million dollar budget ( plus another 125 mill in promotion!!!) , this stinker has only managed to pull in a sad 103 mill. It's VERY difficult to spin that figure.

As for that great hope of a big international take, when Hollywood traditionally plunks an enormous sum like 200 mill into a picture they just about NEVER pin their hopes on international audiences to put them over the top... let alone pull them out of the red.

At this point, anyone not recognizing this bomb as one of the year's biggest losers is just burying their head in the sand.

When it broke thru the $100M mark I wanted to tousle the movie's hair and tell him he did a good job and give him the participation ribbon like they used to do in grade school. "Six figures! Good job, buddy! I knew you'd make it!"

• Like 1