Warner Bros. to Pursue 'Green Lantern' Sequel

Wheeljack35

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-pursue-green-lantern-205703

gl-07024r_a_l.jpg

The studio won't walk away from the superhero franchise, despite the film’s soft box office performance.

Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel to Ryan Reynolds' superhero pic Green Lantern, despite the film’s soft perfomance

at the box office.

Sources say Warners still believes in the franchise, even if the studio is “somewhat disappointed” with Green Lantern’s result.

Over the weekend, Green Lantern fell a steep 66% at the domestic box office, grossing $18.4 million for a cume of $89.3 million. That’s a big decline.

Warner Bros. president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said the movie is settling in, pointing out that fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends.

Still, Green Lantern fell off more than recent superhero pics Thor and X-Men: First Class. Thor dropped 47% in its second weekend, while First Class dropped 56%.

Similar films that have seen the same sort of dip that Green Lantern did include Hulk, which dropped nearly 70% in its second outing.

Green Lantern cost $200 million to produce before a sizeable marketing spend (rival studios say it was one of the most expensive on record). Warners, preparing for the end of Harry Potter, needs new franchises, so was willing to invest big in Green Lantern.

A formidable obstacle standing in Green Lantern’s way now is Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which opens in theaters around the globe on Tuesday night.

i'm a little surprised. i thought that this was a very good movie. not as good as dark knight, but enough to hold its own with all the recent comic films.

Im surprised it has not done a little better but like I said because of DC's track record it will take time.

With a 66% drop-off in it's second week and against a 325 million (!!!) budget, it's going to take a LONG, LONG time!

Warner Bros' own estimations for the opening weekend take were at sixty to sixty million... and this was Warners keeping their hopes conservative! I'd say the article is being extremely mild in it's description of the studio's disappointment.

I have to credit them with standing by Green Lantern though. We'll see if their steadfast loyalty endures the possibility of soft dvd sales and a disappointing international release. It's not out of the question for a studio to reverse itself on a decision like this.

I seriously doubt there will be soft DVD sales! Most comic movies even if they do bad in the theater don't on DVD. Once word of mouth get's out that its not another Superman and Catwoman, it will help too with that end. SO many people I know shyed away because of those 2. SOme went and were shocked how much they liked it. I agree with Wheeljack, I think part 2 for the reason he alone said, could surpass GL easily just like Superman 2 did.

Draven

Good!

I saw the movie on Friday night, and I thought it was AWESOME!!!

I enjoyed it from the opening scene to the closing credits. I thought they did a great job with making a comic-book movie that was as true to the source material as possible without being didactic.

I thought the action scenes were great, and the acting was good, too. No, it wasn't "KING LEAR", but it wasn't supposed to be.

Would I have liked to have seen more of OA? Sure, but I don't agree with those who feeling gipped on the OA scenes; they showed as much as they could. Hal's back-story was critical to GL 1; I'm sure a sequel will include more cosmic material.

I thought Ryan Reynolds did a good job as Hal, Mark Strong was excellent as Sinestro, and that Blake Lively was hot-Hot-HOT!!

If I had to level any criticism, I'd say that the costumes looked too thin up close, and that Hector's demise was understated.

I look forward to the sequel; my instincts tell me it will be a HUGE war between the GL Corps and those Lanterns that Sinestro can peel away to join his YL corps.

I'm curious what the budget will be for the sequel. Will they scale back the outer space stuff or since they already created the CGI models would that be money saved already.

To think that DVD sales will be poor is just laughable.

Anyway, I hope WB uses a judgement call and makes a sequel, though they might just show their hand early and throw the Sinestro Corps right into the fray as opposed to something else.

I seriously doubt there will be soft DVD sales! Most comic movies even if they do bad in the theater don't on DVD.

I'm not sure statistics really support this. Regardless, I doubt that the dvd sales of a movie bordering on being a full blown bomb will be enough to eat up the 220 million in red ink necessary before this flick even STARTS to make money!

Once word of mouth get's out that its not another Superman and Catwoman, it will help too with that end.

Word of mouth is out already and it is one of the key reasons for the 66% drop off in this movie's second week. At this point, it's not very realistic to expect enough of a buzz to counter the widely held belief that this film is a dud.

I'm curious what the budget will be for the sequel.

Traditionally, movie studios expect a sequel to perform not as well as the first in the series and therefore they scale back the budget for the sequel in anticipation of this weaker performance. This is particularly the case in instances where the first film makes money without necessarily setting the box office on fire (as in the case of GI Joe!)

I suspect we are not going to see another 300 million dollar budget pumped into Green Lantern 2 ...if it actually DOES get made!

I seriously doubt there will be soft DVD sales! Most comic movies even if they do bad in the theater don't on DVD.

I'm not sure statistics really support this. Regardless, I doubt that the dvd sales of a movie bordering on being a full blown bomb will be enough to eat up the 220 million in red ink necessary before this flick even STARTS to make money!

Once word of mouth get's out that its not another Superman and Catwoman, it will help too with that end.

Word of mouth is out already and it is one of the key reasons for the 66% drop off in this movie's second week. At this point, it's not very realistic to expect enough of a buzz to counter the widely held belief that this film is a dud.

Of course the Jailer forgot to mention that a heavy drop is gonna happen when you have the debut of two films geared at kids (Cars 2) and teenagers (Bad Teacher).

Yes, I'm well aware of the R rating. Didn't stop me 15 years ago and it probably doesn't stop teenagers now.

Of course the Jailer forgot to mention that a heavy drop is gonna happen when you have the debut of two films geared at kids (Cars 2) and teenagers (Bad Teacher).

Actually I didn't forget. I just didn't consider the competition to be as significant a factor as the poisonous negative word of mouth and the nearly universal bad reviews that has hobbled Green Lantern's performance.

In this day and age of a new blockbuster being released nearly every week of the summer, almost EVERY movie that hits the number one spot has a difficult time holding onto that position past its opening week. If Green Lantern hadn't been gripped by such bad reviews and poor word of mouth, it might still not have necessarily held onto the top spot for a second week, but it might've been able to weather the competition better and ward off a horrifying 66% drop off!

Actually I didn't forget. I just didn't consider the competition to be as significant a factor as the poisonous negative word of mouth and the nearly universal bad reviews that has hobbled Green Lantern's performance.

In this day and age of a new blockbuster being released nearly every week of the summer, almost EVERY movie that hits the number one spot has a difficult time holding onto that position past its opening week. If Green Lantern hadn't been gripped by such bad reviews and poor word of mouth, it might still not have necessarily held onto the top spot for a second week, but it might've been able to weather the competition better and ward off a horrifying 66% drop off!

If the movie had been decent it wouldn't have been gripped by bad reviews and poor word of mouth and therefore might not have suffered a 66% dropoff regardless of what competition it had. At the end of the day, its a limp film and its box office is correspondingly limp.

What word of mouth? Certainly not here. Granted, this is a minute sector of the population but the only nasty things I'm hearing are from lazy, ill-informed critics who are too lazy to pick up a few GL comics before they see the movie also a small part of the population.

And this drop off thing is a ridiculous statistic. Iron Man and TDK both had drop offs comparable to X-Men First Class but nobody noticed because they remained in first place, more than likely because no studio was stupid enough to release their big summer blockbuster anywhere near those films.

To think that DVD sales will be poor is just laughable.

There's a bit of a range between "soft" and "poor," a word I certainly didn't use.

DVD/BD sales will be just fine.

Have you even seen it? Just go see it for yourself and tell us if the "bad word of mouth" is warranted.

If the movie had been decent it wouldn't have been gripped by bad reviews and poor word of mouth and therefore might not have suffered a 66% dropoff regardless of what competition it had. At the end of the day, its a limp film and its box office is correspondingly limp.

Your comments on the film that were posted last week are the textbook definition of nitpicking. It's like you were trying to find something wrong.

And those reviews were garbage. The worst was ABC/AP, who couldn't even be bothered to educate his/herself on Hal Jordan history. Why should their opinion be trusted?

What word of mouth? Certainly not here.

You really have to look beyond the comic shop crowd or a toy message board in order to get a more objective cross-section of public reaction. The greater population out there was either under-whelmed by Green Lantern or they stayed away from it because they heard it was an under-whelming movie.

And this drop off thing is a ridiculous statistic. Iron Man and TDK both had drop offs comparable to X-Men First Class but nobody noticed because they remained in first place, more than likely because no studio was stupid enough to release their big summer blockbuster anywhere near those films.

Both Iron Man and The Dark Knight had incredibly strong opening weekends... unlike Green Lantern... and were in a far better position to absorb a large second week drop-off ... unlike Green Lantern.

Your comments on the film that were posted last week are the textbook definition of nitpicking. It's like you were trying to find something wrong.

And those reviews were garbage. The worst was ABC/AP, who couldn't even be bothered to educate his/herself on Hal Jordan history. Why should their opinion be trusted?

I cannot think of one person I know who goes and educates themselves before a movie. That is the problem most people wanted to go and see a great movie regardless if they knew who the character was or not. If you have to go and do homework before a movie comes out to enjoy it that might be a clue that the movie is not the greatest

That's certainly optimistic. Green Lantern will most likely remain in a 200 million dollar hole after finishing it's theatrical run. Those dvd sales had better be record setting!

Have you even seen it? Just go see it for yourself and tell us if the "bad word of mouth" is warranted.

Whether or not the "bad word of mouth" is warranted, it's out there and that, compounded with over-whelmingly negative reviews, have crippled this film's performance.

That's certainly optimistic. Green Lantern will most likely remain in a 200 million dollar hole after finishing it's theatrical run. Those dvd sales had better be record setting!

Whether or not the "bad word of mouth" is warranted, it's out there and that, compounded with over-whelmingly negative reviews, have crippled this film's performance.

Standard practice is 4 months from theater release date til dvd release date, if they hold off just a little longer and release it closer to Christmas dvd sales wil probably be stronger.

I talked to a coworker who saw it this weekend (a NON comic fan) and he called it "OK", nothing spectacular, but a decent summer movie. That, IMO, is a pretty accurate description of the movie.

He also went on to say he's getting sick of comic book movies. It's a subject that came up in the other GL thread and I think this will be more and more of an issue. Comic movies are going to keep coming out, if we get two per year for the forseeable future, I'd call that number low! When we get a lot from one franchise they'll just reboot and start the whole thing over. Comic movies are not going away.

My point here is that it's going to be tougher for them....they are going to have to be more than the "just OK" level of Green Lantern and Iron Man 2. That's fine for us comic fans who dream of seeing our heroes on the big screen with our only requirement to be that it doesn't suck. But to stand out in the eyes of the Average Joe, to get them to tell people they know to go, the comic movie needs to be on par with Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider Man 2, and Superman. Yep, that will be tough, but people didn't come out of those movies saying they're sick of super hero movies. They got a tough job ahead of them.

(Oh, in the subject of a sequil, I have more hope for a GL sequil being good than I do for the GI Joe movie. Seeing that movie get a second one makes me wonder where Catwoman 2 is.)

Amazing that people are still quoting that ridiculous notion or claim that the film cost 300 to 350 million dollars. This is just another attempt by wicked critics and evil fanboys to undermine the movie.

Glad Warner is still behind this, extra glad that people were open to the movie and that the response has been positive.

Green Lantern was a good movie and everyone involved should be very proud of it.

GO GREEN LANTERN