what if Marvel got rebooted?

revsears

No gay characters.

I agree

I take it you guys aren't big Sentry fans. tongue.gif

Wait, Sentry too?

I don't like the lifestyle, but I would rather give them their freedom and keep mine and agree to disagree. But I think it's an unrealistic goal at this point to keep homosexuals out of comics. If they are going for kid-friendly then yes it shouldn't be obvious, and they also need to keep too much straight sex/ women exploitation out of it as well. But given how sex sells that won't happen either.

yeah... I was spoiled as well. It's not like i cared too much though. I thought bucky coming back at all was dumb. I would not have minded a new cap... if Rogers stayed dead. Falcon, Justice, heck someone brand spanking new would have made good caps. But I knew this was going to happen. The comic industry doesn't have the balls to tell good stories or evolve anymore.

I know they have tried the ultimate universe, which frankly looks like it's turned into a huge mess. When I heard Avenger incest, i was scared away. Gay Collosus, agree with it or not, kinda makes sense. It's a minority persecuted kidna thing. Granted that can open a very big can of worms and I don't feel it equates to racial hatred but some do.

I don't want a reboot, I think they are lazy. When relaunches happen, I didn't mind DDP ignoring Transformers in the Joe book, that kind of soft reboot doesn't bother me too bad. But if one were to be done to make things more accessible to digital readers (a more current beginning always available for them to buy digitally) there are things they could do a little better this time around.

I really don't like certain elements mixing together. I know I am nearly alone on this but If the x-men are in the same world as the avengers it makes this more complicated and almost necessitates crossovers which can be a real barrier to new readers. It also starts raising some really strange questions. is Thor a god, or a mutant? who is God in the marvel universe? it depends on the book, remember Punisher's stint working for heaven? If blade is around hunting vampires, how well does that mesh with the same world of bright spandex and Hydra advanced soldiers?

I'd split up the marvel U in to at least three chunks. The more realistic, "Marvel Knights" type books with Blade, Punisher etc. set in almost real or horror filled real world. Not even necessarily the same ones. The x-verse as it lends itself so well to discuss race and science but if they exist with Iron-man wouldn't Xaiver just mind trick Tony into giving his men suits? or Magento kill iron man?etc. And the Avengers/spider-man/fantastic Four type setting.

If major crossovers ever occurred, it would be out of continuity.

Agreed, all of it!

Another thing I'd do (this can go for both Marvel and DC) is to cut the number of titles waaaaaayyyyyy down. Way down. Do you know what's daunting to a new reader? It's not seeing a book with a high number at the top. What's daunting is seeing five or six books in one month, all featuring the same character. When you have three regular series' and no less than three mini series' going on at the same time, how is a new reader expected to know which one to pick up, which story to follow??? Heck, I'm far from new to comics, at one opint I had an itch to give Deadpool a try, found five different Deadpool series on the shelf, I said, "Forget it". Does anyone even care about half the filler that's out there? Cut down the books!

As far as gay characters go (because, you know....that came up for some reason...) I have no problem with them if there's more to them besides "Look at me, look at me, I'm the team gay!" It's like the gay judge that's put on talent shows to grab the attention of people. Bad example of a gay superhero: Northstar. Shoehorned onto X-Men two times by two different writers trying to make the book "edgy". There's nothing to that guy. Take away his gayness and he's a dumb character. Good example of a gay superhero: the new Starman on JLA. Instead of reminding us that he's gay on every pannel he's drawn into, he's doing cool superhero stuff like everyone else.

(Also, Falcon as Cap would have been a great idea! The next time anyone wants to try and make us think a sidekick will take over an iconic roll permanently, I say they go with something like that.)

No gay characters.

I agree

Why not? Doesn't hurt me any if the imaginary guy in the comic likes other imaginary guys or girls.

I read comics for entertainment. Reading about a character's innermost sexual feelings towards another character of the same sex, or seeing two superheroes of the same sex romancing and/or kissing each other isn't entertaining for me personally.

No gay characters.

I agree

Wait, Sentry too?

I don't like the lifestyle, but I would rather give them their freedom and keep mine and agree to disagree. But I think it's an unrealistic goal at this point to keep homosexuals out of comics. If they are going for kid-friendly then yes it shouldn't be obvious, and they also need to keep too much straight sex/ women exploitation out of it as well. But given how sex sells that won't happen either.

Sentry isn't actually gay. Unless something has changed in the comics. I was just being an ass when I said that.

No gay characters.

I agree

Why not? Doesn't hurt me any if the imaginary guy in the comic likes other imaginary guys or girls.

Much like Darth Joe said, those elements aren't entertainment or enjoyable to me. It was very difficult reading Secret Six when they had two females characters like that.

No gay characters.

I agree

I read comics for entertainment. Reading about a character's innermost sexual feelings towards another character of the same sex, or seeing two superheroes of the same sex romancing and/or kissing each other isn't entertaining for me personally.

I can see your point, and I agree with it not being something that is entertaining to see. To be fair though, I don't really care much about the love aspect in comics in general. I read comics because I like the action first, I like the insanely cool things they can do, and I love a good story (though I think a lot of comics being written are kind of "meh" in the writing department) I've got the same expectations in a comic that I do seeing an action movie. I want to be visually stimulated first and worry about a good story second (though it is still important) The love aspect of action movies ALWAYS slow it down. So like in the movies, I don't really want to hear the main character talking about "finding whomever" or anything really about how their hearts feel.

I guess it's kind of like this. If it is a team book or something where the whole story isn't entirely focused on one person, I am fine with there being a gay character (written realistically, not heavy handed like Northstar). But if there is a solo series and it was about a gay character, I doubt I would ever read it, I wouldn't care that the book was being printed, maybe there is someone out there that can identify and really does enjoy that book, but it wouldn't be for me, but if it is making money for Marvel and it helps someone out there deal with their own issues, then let it fly.

Really it boils down to this. If the character is written realistically and not in a stereotypical fashion, then I've got no problems with it. The only person I want to see "flaming" is Johnny Storm.

No gay characters.

I agree

Wait, Sentry too?

I don't see why comics need to use sex to sell, I don't like it in Women's costumes and i don't like "lifestyle" references in the stories. I don't want to see or need to see Superman banging Lois and I don't want to see gay stuff either.

These are supposed to be for kids foremost, the writers should be telling good action, detective, horror stories... not dwelling in smut to help peddle their books. Does anyone remember the nude covers of the 90's, lady death ect... If people want that stuff then there's certainly other "magazines" they can buy.

To get back on topic, a Marvel reboot should focus on action and "Super Heroes".... and keep dead characters dead!

These are supposed to be for kids foremost, the writers should be telling good action, detective, horror stories... not dwelling in smut to help peddle their books.

Kids aren't buying comics. Adults buy comics. That's one of the reasons why the comic industry continues to fail: Their lack of marketing towards children.

I got into comics because I could go to Wal-Mart and buy a value pack of comics for $5. Comics were easily accessible. I didn't have to try and persuade my parents into making a special trip to a comic shop. Now, very few retail chains offer comics, other than bookstores. The comic industry is failing to make it easy for kids to read comics.

As far as a Marvel reboot goes, I would hate it. I'm a big fan of the Ultimates Universe because of the attitude the writers take. They're not afraid to make BIG changes. If you don't like the big changes, then you can still pick up titles in the regular marvel universe and enjoy them. This "reboot" by DC is idiotic for many reasons. Either have the balls to reboot everything, or create a separate line, but don't go half-assed and make it more complicated by changing some things but leaving others, etc.

If this were an actual reboot, then I might be inclined to pick up a few DC titles. Since it's not, I'll stick with Marvel.

Kids aren't buying comics. Adults buy comics. That's one of the reasons why the comic industry continues to fail: Their lack of marketing towards children.

I got into comics because I could go to Wal-Mart and buy a value pack of comics for $5. Comics were easily accessible. I didn't have to try and persuade my parents into making a special trip to a comic shop. Now, very few retail chains offer comics, other than bookstores. The comic industry is failing to make it easy for kids to read comics.

I think much of this is because, overall, comics aren't a big source of revenue for these companies anymore...the comics are just there for the hardcore adult fans. These days, they make most of their money off of movies, and the extra income those movies provide through toys, clothing, and other merchandise.

At this point I'm almost about to choose a cut off point for new books and just buy back issues.

I did it with X-Men. Stoped after the Second Coming crossover. I enjoyed it and wanted to stop on a high note. Judging by the price hikes and the way that what their doing really doesn't seem that interesting (vampires), looks like I picked a good place to stop. Lets face it, the best X-Men stories have already been written.

As for DC, I'm sensing a good cut off point coming up in the next few months. Hmmmmm....what could that be.....????

Bucky died last month in fear itself 3 if You havent read or heard about it by now then you've been living in a cave lol

I've been living on Okinawa, and I didn't know that. I'm actually kinda sad about it. I liked Bucky cap and super soldier Steve. So much for character progression..

Also, regarding gay characters in comics; I don't really mind as long as the book doesn't bombard me with the characters sex life. But that is how I feel about any characters sexploits. Also, generally it's a bad idea for a writer to "reveal" that any character is gay, because it never has sufficient evidence and always feels forced. On the other hand, Apollo and the Midnighter were some pretty bad ass characters.

P.s. I don't buy DC comics anymore since Wildstorm was cancelled. I also don't support anything Jim Lee puts his name on. Friggin sellout.

Bucky died last month in fear itself 3 if You havent read or heard about it by now then you've been living in a cave lol

I've been living on Okinawa, and I didn't know that. I'm actually kinda sad about it. I liked Bucky cap and super soldier Steve. So much for character progression..

Well this is refreshing I was starting to think I was the only one who liked Bucky as Captain America everywhere I go people just whine about him being brought back to life. Also agree about the character progression I kind of liked the whole Commander Rogers thing but with Captain America movie coming in a few weeks they of course have to revert him back to Cap typical Marvel just like when Spider Man 3 hit they had Peter wear the Black Costume for a couple of issues.

So much for character progression..

Yes. Unfortunately, you can all but forget about character progression of any kind in comics today. It's also true that there wasn't a chance in hell that Steve would not be back as Cap in time for the movie.

I also liked Bucky as Cap. Odd since I hated the fact that they brought Jason Todd back to life. Bucky coming back just seemed to make for a better story whereas Jason just turned in to a whinny B#$%^. Would have been much more poingiant (sp?) if he's stayed dead.

So much for character progression..

Yes. Unfortunately, you can all but forget about character progression of any kind in comics today. It's also true that there wasn't a chance in hell that Steve would not be back as Cap in time for the movie.

I also liked Bucky as Cap. Odd since I hated the fact that they brought Jason Todd back to life. Bucky coming back just seemed to make for a better story whereas Jason just turned in to a whinny B#$%^. Would have been much more poingiant (sp?) if he's stayed dead.

Exactly, the whole Winter Soldier/Bucky being Cap story was cool and well written(most of the time, Reborn was kind of crappy), I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole Jason Todd resurrection thing but from what I read and heard from comic books critics and readers it was mishandled to say the least. Marvel=no character progression, they're "rebooting" with a new Captain America series which will start at #1 again and if it turns out to be crap a la one more day/brand new day Marvel will lose another buyer.

P.S. what's with all the gay characters and homophobia I agree with the point about Northstar but if a character turns out to be gay who cares? Besides Marvel always goes overboard with heterosexual relationships too, I mean Wolverine is shown to have slept with almost all the women in Marvel universe which I find pointless other to try and show how cool he is because he sleeps around.

Wow. Way to take a potentially fun idea for a topic and turn it in to a 'rag on Marvel' fest.

So you're jaded towards Marvel's and DC's recent changes. I get that.

Why don't you spitball some entertaining notions and toss them in here and get the rest of us excited and doing the same? I mean, just throw some wacky 'never in a million years' ideas out there. Like this

Deadpool, Agent of H.A.T.E Deadpool joins the NextWave team of irresponsible yet hilarious SuperHeroes fighting the absurdities of the Marvel Universe. Personally, any book that has MachineMan and Deadpool in it written by Warren Ellis would be awesome.

The Man Called...Cable During the last big X-Event, Cable appeared to die saving his adopted daughter Hope. But what if he really just got blasted through time one final time. And ended up in the Old West. Now, without any time-travelling equipment, the mysterious man with a glint in his eye teams up with the famous gunslingers of the era like Two Gun Kid, Kid Colt, etc. He's a man out of time, fighting for the future. Except now the future is the present!

The Scarlet Spider Ohmigod! Ben Reilly lives! Who?! What?? HOW?!?! Turns out he was 'convalescing in Europe' this entire time (Hey, if it worked for Norman and Harry Osborn, why not Ben?). Anyway, throw out all that emo BS about him whining whether or not he's a clone. Now he just wants to figure out why he's still alive. It's Jason Bourne meets Spider-Man as Ben travels through Paris, Berlin, Prague, Rome etc fighting evil shadow conpiracies and Hydra and AIM figuring out who did this to him.

There. Thats three off the cuff ideas. Now you try.

I'll give it a try.

Fire & Ice The Human Torch (or Sunspot if want to keep it mutant but hes to serious) and Iceman. They both have witty sense of humor and would fun to to see them mess with their enemies. But if Sunspot, then will still can see him get frustated with Bobby at times.

Nova & Darkhawk Just because they are suppose to be opposites, but both are heroes. Oppossites they are suppose to be from different opposing factions if I'm not mistaken.

X-Force A reformed Magneto leading (later takes the team to far in methods) Shatterstar (nineties version), Pyro, Warpath, Domino, Mystic, Quicksilver and Wildchild