what if Marvel got rebooted?

revsears

What if it were forced to happen? how would you do it. I think it's a horrible idea but let's be honest if it works for DC the two tend to copy each other. I know there has been an ultimate version, but say you were the head writer and disney screams do a reboot, but they let you do it your way baring a few things. Say Cap has to be Steve (like bruce is going back to batman) etc. What would your take be?

Well technically Steve is going to be cap again since Bucky just got killed :P

Well technically Steve is going to be cap again since Bucky just got killed :P

...until he's not.

Nice spoiler.

Actually thinking about going back to Cap and/or the upcoming Captain America and Bucky comic. Ya know, since there's a whole other comic company that I probably won't need to pay attention to much longer...this is Marvel's big chance!

Bucky died last month in fear itself 3 if You havent read or heard about it by now then you've been living in a cave lol

I would get Jim Lee and Rob Leifield to redesign my classic characters and start fresh after a big company wide event. Then I would call it something catchy like, "Heroes Reborn". Then after a dozen issues and negative uproar from the fans, I would figure out a way to restore them to their proper place with another event miniseries.

Marvel did reboot for the Ultimate Universe. Some folks liked it, most didn't. I don't think they would try it again

Except that Marvel didnt have the balls to do away with the original continuity and instead published two universes at the same time. Which leads to awesomely crappy things like making deals with Mephisto to "revamp" Spidey and unnecessary black Nick Fury, who is now accepted as the Nick Fury of the movieverse though the movieverse is more steeped in the original story li....awww screw it. No matter what DC does, it can't be any worse than anything Marvel has done.

dc is far worse. they already changed superman and batman in the relaunch

Marvel did reboot for the Ultimate Universe. Some folks liked it, most didn't. I don't think they would try it again

Except that Marvel didnt have the balls to do away with the original continuity and instead published two universes at the same time.

that's exactly what I am saying.. two universes at the same time gave them the ability to see which people preferred. Obviously, people preferred the classic universe.

I don't see how DC will be successful with this reboot

Yeah, the DC reboot and the past Marvel attempts are really two different things.

The Ultimate U was easily ignored if you wanted to. It had zero impact on the regular marvel U. This is not so with DC.

Heroes Reborn was a storyline more than anything else. And again, the regular Marvel U still existed. Also not true in DC's case.

COULD the DC reboot be part of a storyline....yeah, maybe, I guess. Seems a pretty foolish gamble though considering how much things will change.

As you guys have already said, Marvel somewhat tried this with the Ultimate Universe...and we ended up with a gay Colossus.

Maybe if they reboot it again, we can get a devil-worshiping Nightcrawler and a pacifist Punisher.

Or better yet, a Deadpool with his mouth sewed shut, Cyclops' optic blast, and swords that come out of his arms like Wolverine's claws. @hmmm@

We would get more..

Teen angst

Vampires

Captain America becoming Captain United Nations

Unnecessary race changes

Uhmm yeah Ultimate was already bad enough.

SO I agree with everything here...

Marvel was pretty fine uptil 1996 (at least the continuity made much better sense, despite clone spider garbage).

I'd like to think that Heroes reborn was like an elseworlds thing... but for me the Marvel Universe stops when writers have to resort to literally making deals with devils instead of actually writing better stories.. oh yeah and Wolverine Origins sucks! Sabertooth is still wolvies father I don't care what people say!

Bucky died last month in fear itself 3 if You havent read or heard about it by now then you've been living in a cave lol

Apparently YJB and myself have been holed up in the same cave because this is news to me.

Apparently YJB and myself have been holed up in the same cave because this is news to me.

I'm down to two relatively low profile Marvel books (X-Factor and Thunderbolts) but I followed Cap faithfully until they jacked the price up to $4. So yeah, I had no idea. It was inevitable, I suppose.

Wow. Way to take a potentially fun idea for a topic and turn it in to a 'rag on Marvel' fest.

So you're jaded towards Marvel's and DC's recent changes. I get that.

Why don't you spitball some entertaining notions and toss them in here and get the rest of us excited and doing the same? I mean, just throw some wacky 'never in a million years' ideas out there. Like this

Deadpool, Agent of H.A.T.E Deadpool joins the NextWave team of irresponsible yet hilarious SuperHeroes fighting the absurdities of the Marvel Universe. Personally, any book that has MachineMan and Deadpool in it written by Warren Ellis would be awesome.

The Man Called...Cable During the last big X-Event, Cable appeared to die saving his adopted daughter Hope. But what if he really just got blasted through time one final time. And ended up in the Old West. Now, without any time-travelling equipment, the mysterious man with a glint in his eye teams up with the famous gunslingers of the era like Two Gun Kid, Kid Colt, etc. He's a man out of time, fighting for the future. Except now the future is the present!

The Scarlet Spider Ohmigod! Ben Reilly lives! Who?! What?? HOW?!?! Turns out he was 'convalescing in Europe' this entire time (Hey, if it worked for Norman and Harry Osborn, why not Ben?). Anyway, throw out all that emo BS about him whining whether or not he's a clone. Now he just wants to figure out why he's still alive. It's Jason Bourne meets Spider-Man as Ben travels through Paris, Berlin, Prague, Rome etc fighting evil shadow conpiracies and Hydra and AIM figuring out who did this to him.

There. Thats three off the cuff ideas. Now you try.

If I'm not mistaken the reason behind the ultimate universe was to attract new audience since Marvel was in a financial hole almost bankrupt I think. So they made "edgy" more modern versions of the superheroes to get the new generation in to comics. In that aspect it worked since Marvel now is in good place financially I think; but the problem is that the Marvel Universe is still around and getting worse. Like everyone mentioned the Ultimate Universe is at least treated like a different universe not the new status quo for the main 616 universe so yeah as "bad" as things have been in Marvel is not worse than rebooting a whole universe and changing books which were actually getting good reviews and doing good *cough* Batman & Robin*cough*. Honestly I can't speak for the ordeal since I only followed GL related stuff in DC but judging from early fan reaction it's not a good thing I really really hope that Marvel don't follow suit.

I was with you both then because I missed his death...

yeah... I was spoiled as well. It's not like i cared too much though. I thought bucky coming back at all was dumb. I would not have minded a new cap... if Rogers stayed dead. Falcon, Justice, heck someone brand spanking new would have made good caps. But I knew this was going to happen. The comic industry doesn't have the balls to tell good stories or evolve anymore.

I know they have tried the ultimate universe, which frankly looks like it's turned into a huge mess. When I heard Avenger incest, i was scared away. Gay Collosus, agree with it or not, kinda makes sense. It's a minority persecuted kidna thing. Granted that can open a very big can of worms and I don't feel it equates to racial hatred but some do.

I don't want a reboot, I think they are lazy. When relaunches happen, I didn't mind DDP ignoring Transformers in the Joe book, that kind of soft reboot doesn't bother me too bad. But if one were to be done to make things more accessible to digital readers (a more current beginning always available for them to buy digitally) there are things they could do a little better this time around.

I really don't like certain elements mixing together. I know I am nearly alone on this but If the x-men are in the same world as the avengers it makes this more complicated and almost necessitates crossovers which can be a real barrier to new readers. It also starts raising some really strange questions. is Thor a god, or a mutant? who is God in the marvel universe? it depends on the book, remember Punisher's stint working for heaven? If blade is around hunting vampires, how well does that mesh with the same world of bright spandex and Hydra advanced soldiers?

I'd split up the marvel U in to at least three chunks. The more realistic, "Marvel Knights" type books with Blade, Punisher etc. set in almost real or horror filled real world. Not even necessarily the same ones. The x-verse as it lends itself so well to discuss race and science but if they exist with Iron-man wouldn't Xaiver just mind trick Tony into giving his men suits? or Magento kill iron man?etc. And the Avengers/spider-man/fantastic Four type setting.

If major crossovers ever occurred, it would be out of continuity.

I'd stick close to the historical continuity within those books. The x-men would start witht he classic group but then grow into a school like in the movies. A reboot would be a nice chance to fix horrible names, such as Marvel girl (call her phoneix from the start) and update/fix epic stories that we later nerfed. (she could have phoneix in here from the start, that's where she gets the code name from, then when she dies, let her STAY DEAD. Cyc has Emma now.) There might be minor character changes, poor Cyc needs more attention some how. Maybe gaining control over his powers? Millitary training? i'm not sure but it needs to be clear he is the leader. We could eliminate some clones along the way etc.

Spidy... yeah we could eliminate some clones along the way ! :) again death should be death, build Norman up then kill him and be done. If it's digital readers could always go back to read those stories, no need to rehash them.

The fanstic four could be used more as explorers of other dimensions like star gate while the avengers did global hero work and Spidey, Daredevil, and others did more local work. I realize that Separating the x-verse from the avengers could rip Scarlet witch and Quicksilver out of the avengers. A call would have to be made as to which verse they are more important in... I'd say x-men for Quicksilver and give magento Polaris as his other daughter. But that would cause some divisions i'm sure.