Early Reviews For GL...

Nguyen_Dragon

Seriously, some of you guys are just itching to find plot holes in order to complain or downplay the movie, sad really.

Did the 3D glasses fit over your DC blinders?

@smilepunch@

Seriously, we all know your DC Guy, but pointing out the movie's flaws (and there WERE flaws) doesn't make anyone a "soundborad for critics" or Lemmings that follow what everyone else says.

I far from have DC blinders, you and I are frequently on the opposite view of Smallville and Superman Returns and my thoughts on both properties aren't favorable.

What flaws, the story was good. They hit on every relationship as much as this film should. You guys sound like a bunch of women, asking for more relationship screen time, seriously dudes, seriously, you guys are complaining because you didn't see enough of Hal dealing with his family, girl, a bunch of other lanterns. If this film is panned and considered and failure then by all means I surely would wonder what your versions would do. We had enough backstory and then we had action.

• Like 2

Seriously, some of you guys are just itching to find plot holes in order to complain or downplay the movie, sad really.

Did the 3D glasses fit over your DC blinders?

@smilepunch@

Seriously, we all know your DC Guy, but pointing out the movie's flaws (and there WERE flaws) doesn't make anyone a "soundborad for critics" or Lemmings that follow what everyone else says.

I far from have DC blinders, you and I are frequently on the opposite view of Smallville and Superman Returns and mine thoughts on both properties are favorable.

What flaws, the story was good. They hit on every relationship as much as this film should. You guys sound like a bunch of women, asking for more relationship screen time, seriously dudes, seriously, you guys are complaining because you didn't see enough of Hal dealing with his family, girl, a bunch of other lanterns. If this film is panned and considered and failure then by all means I surely would wonder what your versions would do. We had enough backstory and then we had action.

Hmm I wonder if he was one of the guys throwing negatives in my Brandon Routh flop thread? Singerman was such a piece of #$##.

• Like 1

52 million isn't that great IMO... a movie like this, going up against nothing on a holiday weekend, with tons of advertising, should have made 75 million easy.

Hmm I wonder if he was one of the guys throwing negatives in my Brandon Routh flop thread? Singerman was such a piece of #$##.

Well, I never gave anyone a negative, and I'm really not sure what SP is talking about. I don't particularly like Returns either, just refuse to believe it sucked because of the director's sexual orientation.

Tryig to keep this somewhat on topic, also saw Super 8 this weekend....a FAR better movie than GL.

(I thank my earache for being up at 3:26 am responding to this :( ).

• Like 1

Like the Star Wars prequel trilogy, sometimes you have to tell a boring story to get to the good ones.

There was a good Star Wars prequel???

Just had a thought. How many of these critics work for a company that is owned by Disney in some shape or form? I'm not saying conspiracy but could Disney have a hand in the bad reviews?

Disney is Marvel, Marvel is Disney @doom@

52 million isn't that great IMO... a movie like this, going up against nothing on a holiday weekend, with tons of advertising, should have made 75 million easy.

That sounds about right for a movie that the majority thinks its only OK...

I think the public in general has grown tired of comic book films, which is bad news for Warner Brothers and DC, but quite frankly they deserve it.

• Like 1

I too think that the public is tired of these comic based movies. They are still profitable but in truth both X-Men and Thor failed according to box office predictions and estimations. With that Green Lantern failed even worse than projected. Successful so far but still a shame. I do believe a great deal of the poor performance came from the unfair reviews which completely tarnished this movie. All the peole on facebook who aren't comic fans always come to me to see how a movie is and whether it is worth seeing, so far they all have seen or plan on seeing GL and I am going with another friend this upcoming Friday.

• Like 1

I too think that the public is tired of these comic based movies. They are still profitable but in truth both X-Men and Thor failed according to box office predictions and estimations. With that Green Lantern failed even worse than projected. Successful so far but still a shame. I do believe a great deal of the poor performance came from the unfair reviews which completely tarnished this movie. All the peole on facebook who aren't comic fans always come to me to see how a movie is and whether it is worth seeing, so far they all have seen or plan on seeing GL and I am going with another friend this upcoming Friday.

I don't think it has anything to do with the critics. Most people don't care what critics say, or they aren't busy reading reviews just days before the movie comes out. Most people that really want to see a movie go see it in the opening week. I think reviews only matter to the people who are like, "let's go see a movie.. what looks good? let's look at the internet"...

but to me, the movie looked awful just from the trailers. His costume and all of the effects look terribly cheesy.

I don't think it has anything to do with the critics. Most people don't care what critics say, or they aren't busy reading reviews just days before the movie comes out. Most people that really want to see a movie go see it in the opening week. I think reviews only matter to the people who are like, "let's go see a movie.. what looks good? let's look at the internet"...

but to me, the movie looked awful just from the trailers. His costume and all of the effects look terribly cheesy.

I think there is a portion of people who are influenced by the critics, critical reviews of TDK helped push it even further, same deal with Iron Man, critics and word of mouth played significant parts in the success of those movies.

I don't know if you actually saw the movie but I liked the effects. It is what a comic book movie about GL should be. The most surprising was suit didn't bother me and I hated it more than anyone else, but I hardly paid attention enough to dislike it. The special effects were good, loved Oa, loved the fight scenes and the trailers didn't show any of those important specila effects moments in the film.

The movie was good and really didn't have any flaws, for some reason it just didn't catch on. .

Best and most honest GL review

http://www.comicbook...e/news/?a=39798

I saw the movie twice, once in 3D last night and once in 2D today. Well let us start with the acting. Some fan boys did not like the casting of Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) and Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) but I thought their acting and portrayal of the characters was spot on. I especially liked the scene with the two of them together where she recognizes that it is Hal under the mask. Kind of poking fun at idea of a domino mask hiding the identity of someone you know so well and kind of a swipe at the Superman/Clark Kent glasses thing. Some reviewers said they had no chemistry but in this scene and in the tower scene it showed their intimacy toward one another. Of course I thought the acting of Mark Strong as Sinestro was great, even though there was not much character development for him but just enough to give you an idea of what to expect from him in a sequel and the movie was not about him anyway. As for Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond I think he portrayed a perfect creepy introvert that all of a sudden gets all this power. I was never a fan of the character in the comic and was kind of hoping when WB started making the movie they would have gone with Legion from Emerald Dawn I. But I think he serves as a decent villain along with Parallax for this first movie being an origins tale. All the other actors like Tim Robbins, Angela Bassett, Geoffrey Rush, and Michael Clarke Duncan were all great. And even Clancy Brown as Parallax was awesome.

Now for the script, unlike others I thought the tone, pacing, editing and story was good. It kept getting better as the story moved along. It showed only the points that had to be made and did not drag it out like The Dark Knight did. There is no reason to do that. I know some people wanted to see what drives Hal Jordan but what drives him is to overcome fear and save the Earth and the ones he loves once he realizes they are threatened. The movie succeeded in this. The fight scene at the end was pretty good, could it have been better maybe. But I found it much better than the fight scenes at the end of Ironman I and II.

On the jokes in the movie and on the cocky character of Hal Jordan, well Hal is former military and a test pilot that’s the way they act. He is not a moody guy whose parents were murdered by a thug, nor does he have a stick up his butt like Batman. He is the opposite of Batman in the comics, Batman being very dark and Hal being light. Also he did not have to hide who he is most of his life like Superman. In the comics Hal faces danger with a smirk on his face. The jokes he cracks in the movie are indicative of a guy who is like this and is 30 years of age especially in this day and time. I like that about him. The jokes were not cheesy at all except maybe the jokes that he intended to make light of the situation and he was having with his new found power. That is what I would have done under those circumstances. It was not overly cheesy and it did not seem unrealistic. There was also a scene that might seem cheesy when Hal was trying to act like a cop to Carol but that was him pretending to be what he thought an authority figure should act like. Remember he is new to this hero thing. It provided a good laugh.

About the FX I thought they were pretty good. The suit, the constructs, the look of the aliens and Oa were all great. The mask could have been better but even in the movie they kind of joke about it. The FX of Parallax was not great but was good. Nothing like the cloud Galactus in Fantastic Four 2 like some feared. And the 3D was probably the best post 3D I have ever seen.

The only major complaint I would have about this movie was the music score. It was pretty bad. A lot of times the score sets the tone for a movie and I think that is the reason people thought the tone was a little off.

Now for the Insensitive, Non PC rant portion. It has to do with why I think this movie got such bad reviews. Some of the things I have said this week about the reviewers of this movie (which I still believe) were that liberal Hollywood reviewers can’t stand this movie (Rolling Stone and Village Voice for example) because it has a cocky superhero that never learns humility. They always love superhero movies where the hero is flawed or is an allegory for how homosexuals are persecuted. I am not saying I think the movie was perfect but all I kept reading was they thought he is a too good looking cocky hero who does not show emotion and they don't like it, well guess what real men don't cry every 5 minutes like Peter Parker in Spider-Man 1,2,and 3. All the bad stuff they kept saying is exactly how Hal Jordan is portrayed in the comics. If you have read the comic and don't like it or old school cocky non Emo non flawed heroes or can't understand the concept of the ring or an intergalactic police force then you will not like this movie.

Or a lot of these reviewers were bashing this movie as soon as it was announced how much WB spent on it. Like these reviewers find it obscene that the studio spent $300 million on it and that amount of money should only be spent on an environmentally conscious movie like Avatar or it has to deal with some sort of social issues.

It also seemed these reviewers were trying too hard to go lock step with all the other reviewers just to say “Look at me I gave it a bad review as well, I can chop heads and be critical too.” Case in point some of the Junior Editors on this site who want to grow up to be big time Movie Reviewers. And after reading the other's reviews were trying to find anything to scrutinize. (Not really hating on the Junior Editors just making an Observation.) Even worse were the Marvel fan boys who have always been unsupportive of this movie, who have commented that feeling on this site many times and have now been saying in recent comments that “Oh I was so looking forward to this movie but it was awful.” You Marvel fan boys doing that are full of #$##.

Something else I would like to say about the character of Hal Jordan to fans and non fans of the comic is that young Hal Jordan is a cocky joker in the comics. Some might say “no he isn’t“ or “that is Geoff Johns’ recon version” well you would be wrong just read Emerald Dawn I and II also read Green Lantern Vol. 3 from the late 80’s he has always been cocky and had a little problem with authority. Some might also say that Guy is the joking ass hole of the human Green Lanterns and that is also true. But one thing to understand about the human Green Lanterns that came after Hal was that each of them has a more extreme aspect of Hal’s own personality. Guy Gardner is the #$## side, John Stewart the Serious side, and Kyle Rayner the Creative side. Put all three of those together and you have Hal Jordan. And if you still don’t think he is a joker just look at some of constructs he makes like giant fists, springs and baseball bats. A Green Lantern’s constructs are indicative of the ring bearer’s personality.

I am a former Marine and while in the military my fellow Marines and I took our job very seriously but we cracked jokes quite a lot, we were pretty cocky too. Let me ask you who you would rather have on the battle field next to you the serious guy with a stick up his butt quoting rules and regulations, the guy off to side on his knees praying, the guy behind you crying about how much he misses his girlfriend or the joker who smirks at the coming storm? I will take the Joker any day.

In closing I loved the Green Lantern movie was it perfect no but what is. Both times I went to this movie everyone in the theater walked out saying they loved it. The first night I went to see it with my wife, best friend and his girlfriend they all said they had great time and the movie was good. To the critics your out of touch, most people don't want to go see a movie and get a message beaten over their head they go to be entertained and have fun. This movie does both of those.

Overall I give The Green Lantern 4 out of 5 stars.

(On a side note my best friend that went with me to see Green Lantern walked out during the first 20 minutes of Thor when it came out and snuck off to see a comedy instead he said he thought Thor was bad and Asgard looked cheesy. He loved Green Lantern though. I disagree with him about Thor but I do think Green Lantern was better.)

• Like 3

watched the movie this weekend. I liked it...although I think I know why it's been getting bad reviews. it's missing something...I am no movie critic so I don't know what. I'm a huge superhero flick fan that is why I liked the movie.

sad to say though, with the Box office numbers coming in I hope this is no indication that a sequel won't be made. and if that's the case say goodbye to any Justice League plans.

but overall I liked this movie. it's no Dark Knight but from a fan's point of view it is pretty good.

Well, I never gave anyone a negative, and I'm really not sure what SP is talking about. I don't particularly like Returns either, just refuse to believe it sucked because of the director's sexual orientation.

Tryig to keep this somewhat on topic, also saw Super 8 this weekend....a FAR better movie than GL.

I'm pretty sure SP gave more reasons why it sucked besides Singer being gay.

It wouldn't matter if Singer was straight and got more action than Charlie Sheen, returns would still be a turd.

• Like 2

Have to say I don't know why people think average GL ticket sales equal doom and gloom for future DC movies. If anything it may impact a GL sequil, but future DC projects?

One main Marvel property, Fantastic Four (which was worse than GL), came out with two turds for movies. We still got Spier-Man sequils, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor....FF didn't impact those movies at all. Why would they? Half the average Joes on the street don't know wheter these are Marvel or DC characters in the first place, so that certainly won't influence whether or not they see it.

If someone turns in a decent script for Flash, or Aquaman, or Wonder Woman; if creators who care about the caracter are put on the film; if it gets good word or mouth (which really is the all-important factor) these movies can all be a reality.

Have to say I don't know why people think average GL ticket sales equal doom and gloom for future DC movies. If anything it may impact a GL sequil, but future DC projects?

One main Marvel property, Fantastic Four (which was worse than GL), came out with two turds for movies. We still got Spier-Man sequils, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor....FF didn't impact those movies at all. Why would they? Half the average Joes on the street don't know wheter these are Marvel or DC characters in the first place, so that certainly won't influence whether or not they see it.

If someone turns in a decent script for Flash, or Aquaman, or Wonder Woman; if creators who care about the caracter are put on the film; if it gets good word or mouth (which really is the all-important factor) these movies can all be a reality.

YJB, the future of DC Comics films is in trouble for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost is money. You may not like the FF films (which sounds like the majority) but both films scored huge receipts. Same thing with the POTC franchise. Lots of mixed reactions. What's not in dispute is the damn thing is a cash cow.

Money dictates everything and with Cars 2, Transformers 3, Cap and a few other big draws coming out GL has a huge hill to climb to get more money.

The second is the comic book movie trend is starting to wind down. We talked about this earlier, the general public seems to be sick of them.

The third ties into the second one, which is Warner Brothers/DC Comics/whoever is in charge of making these films shouldn't be trusted to do any of this stuff right.

Not counting GL, since 1999 when Blade came out that cabal has gotten one major property right in Batman. Superman appears en route to a second screw up, Wonder Woman is in development hell, and who knows what's going on with Flash, Aquaman, GA and the JLA.

The powers that be have done a terrible job with these properties while its competition has done such a good job they're hitting the rewind button.

• Like 1

I took my son to see GL tonight and I thought it was a really good movie. The CGI was great, the acting was just fine, and the pacing was as good as it's going to get with a two hour limit while still giving a background on Hal, the Corps, and Hal becoming a lantern. I'm sad to see it pulled in so little on opening weekend, but can only hope it obtains legs through word of mouth.

I'm glad more and more people are giving good words after watching the film. I enjoyed it and so did my friend who's only knowledge of GL was from the animated movie.

The movie Parallax design in a sense works better for me than this entity lobster like monster. Parallax shouldn't look too physical because it's an entity that instills fear.

If you compare to the recent comic book adaptations they are mostly solo heroes and unlike Green Lantern doesn't require them to learn and train to use their powers. Well Batman does have to train but the majority of the training can be skipped. A Green Lantern movie also needs to introduce OA and the Green Lantern Corp just like Superman needs to introduce Krypton and then blow it up. There's all these introduction required for the first Green Lantern movie which kind of slows down the pace. I guess most comic book fans expect GL to be more action packed but GL needs to takes it time to introduce everything in order to build up a bigger movie with more action scenes in space, kind of like Hellboy and Hellboy2.

If you compare to the recent comic book adaptations they are mostly solo heroes and unlike Green Lantern doesn't require them to learn and train to use their powers. Well Batman does have to train but the majority of the training can be skipped. A Green Lantern movie also needs to introduce OA and the Green Lantern Corp just like Superman needs to introduce Krypton and then blow it up. There's all these introduction required for the first Green Lantern movie which kind of slows down the pace.

A majority of the training was skipped in GL too. So the Batman and GL movies have that in common. ;)

Also, I distinctly remember Spider-Man, Iron Man et al. having to learn what powers they had and 'training' sequences in those and other origin films. And somehow those films weren't dull. Well, some were dull. Ghost Rider was dull. But don't be an apologist for a dull film by saying its in the 'unique' position of being the only Superhero film that has to wallow through an 'origin' tale before we can get to the good stuff. They just crammed in way too much unnecessary extraneous stuff into his 'origin' story than was needed.

I got tired of seeing Hal and Carol having the same conversation over and over again about what is wrong with him and why does he always run. I thought they visited that way too many times and I think it dragged the film a little.

Right. I think they stoped the film about six times to have that conversation. One would have been enough.

Did not see the point of including Hal's brothers and nephew in the film at all. Another example of trying to cram everything in.

it was just to show you how irresponsible hal was. how he only thought of himself in every decision that he made. it was to counter what he would have to become to be a great lantern. were things rushed?...yeah, a bit. but what else do you expect them to do with 2hrs to work with? his origin isnt as known as supes or bats, and they had to put like 50 books worth of crap in a limited time frame. it was a nice movie, IMO. they got passed everything that people need to know about Hal, and now they can concentrate on the action.

I know why they did it. I just thought they did it too many times. I think we all get the point he is irresponsible. Move on and get to the action

if a threat appears that seems unstoppable, and frightens those that are never afraid ...who would you take/send?..the whole corps? in what situation has ANY military done such a thing? true, the action was rushed, but it did help develop characters.....Hal and Sinestro. it was set up to show that their best lantern (sinestro) had even felt the true power of fear, and what it was capable of, and it was to later develop him in to a yellow ring wearer. it couldve had more fighting, true, but it didnt need it to get the point that they were making across. as far as escaping, sinestro, kilowag, and tomar were probably less afraid or something...who knows? but i really dont see how thats important....i guess thats a matter of opinion.

They did it in Lord of the Rings. In Return of the Jedi, the Spartans in 300. Yeah, it does make sense to hit your most powerful opponent with your best shot. There is a thing called strength in numbers and what did that solo attack accomplish? If anything it inspired more fear in the other Lanterns because their best Lanterns got p'owned.

So now they have taken another hit to the corps and have no choice but to use the "weapon of their enemy" even though using the yellow entity is what started this whole mess. Instead of going and giving evil their best shot they decided to compromise their standards and use the yellow entity even though the guardians had previously decided this was not a good idea, and would lead to great danger...SPOILER ALERT it does. It is not as if the other Lanterns had any pressing issues seeing they could all make the Sinestro's little fire side chat.

All I am saying is taking the whole corps or most of them and having them fail would really show the need for giving in and deciding to use the yellow entity because they gave their best shot and they have no other choice. They would have exhausted all options.

Anywho this point is not that big of a deal. The bottom line is I went to the midnight showing with my GL shirt and lantern replica expecting to be blown away and I was not. It was not horrible, but I wanted more action. I outlined some of the reasons why I was disappointed. I did not hate it. I will buy it when it comes out. I own DD and FF after all.(which I actually like FF a lot)

If they having problems pushing a character like GL I fear for the rest of the Justice League... Flash might still have some value individually but Aquaman and WW will need more than a decent script...

I'm pretty sure SP gave more reasons why it sucked besides Singer being gay.

It wouldn't matter if Singer was straight and got more action than Charlie Sheen, returns would still be a turd.

I sure did, but apparently some people like drone behavior in which you go along with the PC or popular census of believing in something. Oh and the sexual orientation did play a part in the design of that oufit.

• Like 1