Early Reviews For GL...

Nguyen_Dragon

Saw the movie again and loved it even more. People are just sound boards for the critics. It sounds like people are following the critics point of view.....lame

OR...it may be possible that they really just DIDN'T like it.

OR.....maybe what I said is true.

I agree with yojoebro on his point about the critics. I can understand their complaints of the film. To me, it felt like things just happen in the film. It would show one scene, then show the next with no segway or anything.

The Oa stuff was good, but very brief. I believe when they made this film they weren't sure if they wanted it to be space cop stuff, or super hero on earth. If they had chose one and stuck with it I think it could have been better. It was an enjoyable film, but pretty boring at parts. The comic nerd in me didn't understand why Hal was able to know everything about Tomar Re's sector, but knew nothing of Oa. Why did that happen? Also, Parallax destroys planets and travels in the rigors of space, but missles and a car tanker hurt him? Why does Hal just toss Parallax into the sun? How did he know that Parallax would in no way interact negatively with the sun, possibly risking the fate of the solar system? If I turned my brain off, it was okay (like Bayformers). There was some things wrong with the film though.

As far as whether this should be a success for DC, I believe it will be. They tried to cram a lot of the mythos as they could, and a second film should have less cram and more story. I didn't like the ending credits scene though. That character just decides to do what he did with no development like in the comics (Parallax is supposedly dead, why do you need a different power?).

1. Apparently people never read the comic, ummm Hal is both a space cop and a super hero on earth, don't understand why that simple fact eludes people or is such a glaring problem? There is a reason WHY Parallax came to earth which is very clear.

2. Parallax didn't destroy the planets like "eating them" he sucked the planet dry by sucking the populations dry, again simple facts that people seem to be lost at. That is why missles and stuff hurt him. Also in every movie is you wanted to we could ask why did someone do this or that not knowing the fate of the outcome. Loki didn't know that if destroying the Frost Giants world would have negative effects on Asgard or the other worlds associated. Seriously anyone can deeply pick apart anything in life and in the movies, geez, no need to turn your brain off, just not have it so overactive.

3. Hal didn't need to know anything about OA once the information was uploaded to him, Tomar Re was just sharing information to him.

The movie is very, very good. I think in time people will look at the RIGHT way instead of being too critical, which even under that the movie holds up. It's better than Thor and that got a good response from fans.

I knew from the start this film was gonna be a little dull. Like the Star Wars prequel trilogy, sometimes you have to tell a boring story to get to the good ones.

This film can set up stories about the Manhunters or the Sinestro Corps War or whatever classic stories the writers want to tell.

Anyway, we'll know tomorrow if this film is a success.

I don't believe Green Lantern is a better film than Thor. I'd say they're about even as both tried to put so much of their universes to try to give a complete look at the character (since they both deal with two different worlds). If anything Green Lantern 2 and Thor 2 will be a lot better since all of the origin stuff is out of the way.

EDIT: Needless nitpicking from me, but how was he able to create a flamethrower that shot actual fire? Earlier in that scene he saves Amanda Waller by using a construct of water (which was clearly green). Why couldn't the flame have been green? Again, needless nitpicking that won't take away from the film, it just bothered me.

I don't read reviews of movies I haven't seen. I'm more than capable of determining a movie is weak without resorting to aping "lame critics."

Can someone explain why Hal flew all the way back to Oa at the end to give his little "I'm only Human." speech? It seemed like he was going there to recruit the Corps to help save Earth, but then he was like "No. Just send me." Uhmmm...why do you need the Guardians permission or whatever to police your own GL Sector? If you were going to end up doing it by yourself anyway, you could've saved yourself the trip to Oa, you nitwit. Guess what, Space Cop, that's your new JOB. Just one of the many ridiculous things in this film.

And don't get me started on the ridiculous helicoptor crash that defied physics and "miraculously" managed not to kill anyone with its rampaging rotor blades as it perpetually skidded through a crowd of hundreds, changing direction to suit the needs of the narrative.

I went in with low expectations, and ya know, I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Random thoughts:

It did drag in places, definately.

Why, oh why did the Corps not go all together to fight Paralax at the end? And then Sinestro, Tomar, and Kilowog show up at the END to save Hal in the nick of time....were they just hanging back waiting?

Kept my eyes peeled for other human GL cameos; Guy, John, Kyle (would have been a long shot) didn't see any.

I wanted to see more Stel!

I think I caught a glimpse of that purpleish GL in the seconds he was on screen before he was vaporized. The one who got his own "sneek preview" DCUC figure. Weak!

I googled images of Blake Lively immediately upon return. Hotter as a brunet.

Good FX. Glad I didn't see it in 3D.

Sinestro was cool. GL fans better hope this makes a lot of money or we can all forget about seeing him use that yellow ring in a sequil ($300 million is a LOT!)

Not one of the great superhero movies but a solid attempt. I'll put it third in line of ones we've seen so far this summer.

It really bothered me how little Sinestro and the corsp members were in the film. There was hardly any interaction between Hal and any of them. I like how Sinestro, who is suppose to be one of the elite if not the most elite of all the Lanterns kicks Hal's butt during training and gets pissed. The guy had been a GL for 10 minutes. I thought that was weak and could have been handled much better.

It would have made more sense to go with Sinestro on a mission type thing and have Hal screw up while showboating and having Sinestro get in his grill for not taking it serious. It is just not believable to rip a guy and give up on him after 5 minutes of training. I felt like they squandered an opportunity to develop the Hal Sinestro relationship doing it the way they did.

I also do not understand while SInestro only wanted to take a team of elite corps members to fight parallax. Why not take the whole bloody corps with you? I also, felt that the action in that scene was rushed and boring and was another squandered opportunity to develop more characters. I mean how did Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar escape? They could have put some major drama in there by showing lanterns giving their lives to save others.

I got tired of seeing Hal and Carol having the same conversation over and over again about what is wrong with him and why does he always run. I thought they visited that way too many times and I think it dragged the film a little.

Overall thouht I did not hate it, but I thought it had great potential and it just wasted it. It was very underwhelming to me.

I got tired of seeing Hal and Carol having the same conversation over and over again about what is wrong with him and why does he always run. I thought they visited that way too many times and I think it dragged the film a little.

Right. I think they stoped the film about six times to have that conversation. One would have been enough.

Did not see the point of including Hal's brothers and nephew in the film at all. Another example of trying to cram everything in.

Right. I think they stoped the film about six times to have that conversation. One would have been enough.

Did not see the point of including Hal's brothers and nephew in the film at all. Another example of trying to cram everything in.

it was just to show you how irresponsible hal was. how he only thought of himself in every decision that he made. it was to counter what he would have to become to be a great lantern. were things rushed?...yeah, a bit. but what else do you expect them to do with 2hrs to work with? his origin isnt as known as supes or bats, and they had to put like 50 books worth of crap in a limited time frame. it was a nice movie, IMO. they got passed everything that people need to know about Hal, and now they can concentrate on the action.

• Like 3

it was just to show you how irresponsible hal was. how he only thought of himself in every decision that he made. it was to counter what he would have to become a great lantern. were things rushed?...yeah, a bit. but what else do you expect them to do with 2hrs to work with? his origin isnt as known as supes or bats, and they had to put like 50 books worth of crap in a limited time frame. it was a nice movie, IMO. they got passed everything that people need to know about Hal, and now they can concentrate on the action.
Bingo!

It really bothered me how little Sinestro and the corsp members were in the film. There was hardly any interaction between Hal and any of them. I like how Sinestro, who is suppose to be one of the elite if not the most elite of all the Lanterns kicks Hal's butt during training and gets pissed. The guy had been a GL for 10 minutes. I thought that was weak and could have been handled much better.

It would have made more sense to go with Sinestro on a mission type thing and have Hal screw up while showboating and having Sinestro get in his grill for not taking it serious. It is just not believable to rip a guy and give up on him after 5 minutes of training. I felt like they squandered an opportunity to develop the Hal Sinestro relationship doing it the way they did.

I also do not understand while SInestro only wanted to take a team of elite corps members to fight parallax. Why not take the whole bloody corps with you? I also, felt that the action in that scene was rushed and boring and was another squandered opportunity to develop more characters. I mean how did Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar escape? They could have put some major drama in there by showing lanterns giving their lives to save others.

Overall thouht I did not hate it, but I thought it had great potential and it just wasted it. It was very underwhelming to me.

It really bothered me how little Sinestro and the corsp members were in the film. There was hardly any interaction between Hal and any of them. I like how Sinestro, who is suppose to be one of the elite if not the most elite of all the Lanterns kicks Hal's butt during training and gets pissed. The guy had been a GL for 10 minutes. I thought that was weak and could have been handled much better. It would have made more sense to go with Sinestro on a mission type thing and have Hal screw up while showboating and having Sinestro get in his grill for not taking it serious. It is just not believable to rip a guy and give up on him after 5 minutes of training. I felt like they squandered an opportunity to develop the Hal Sinestro relationship doing it the way they did.

it was a HAL origin...the focus was on HAL, you clearly missed the entire point. sinestro had no faith in humans. why would he have chosen hal(of all GLs) to take on a mission? his lack of faith in a human is what lead him to be an ass to Hal after only 10mins. he also felt that he had no place being there, and he was even more upset that abin(be a great warrior/lantern) ring would chose a its next wearer from such a weak minded species.

if a threat appears that seems unstoppable, and frightens those that are never afraid ...who would you take/send?..the whole corps? in what situation has ANY military done such a thing? true, the action was rushed, but it did help develop characters.....Hal and Sinestro. it was set up to show that their best lantern (sinestro) had even felt the true power of fear, and what it was capable of, and it was to later develop him in to a yellow ring wearer. it couldve had more fighting, true, but it didnt need it to get the point that they were making across. as far as escaping, sinestro, kilowag, and tomar were probably less afraid or something...who knows? but i really dont see how thats important....i guess thats a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

EDIT: Needless nitpicking from me, but how was he able to create a flamethrower that shot actual fire? Earlier in that scene he saves Amanda Waller by using a construct of water (which was clearly green). Why couldn't the flame have been green? Again, needless nitpicking that won't take away from the film, it just bothered me.

good point!

I don't read reviews of movies I haven't seen. I'm more than capable of determining a movie is weak without resorting to aping "lame critics."

Can someone explain why Hal flew all the way back to Oa at the end to give his little "I'm only Human." speech? It seemed like he was going there to recruit the Corps to help save Earth, but then he was like "No. Just send me." Uhmmm...why do you need the Guardians permission or whatever to police your own GL Sector? If you were going to end up doing it by yourself anyway, you could've saved yourself the trip to Oa, you nitwit. Guess what, Space Cop, that's your new JOB. Just one of the many ridiculous things in this film.

i think that there were several points...

1.) i think that he wanted permission from the guardians to hold the corps back, as he felt in his heart of hearts that he could actually handle this himself. i also think that he felt that he needed this to happen to actually prove to himself that he was what others had known about him all along...fearless, and courageous.

2.) he also didnt want the guardians to to use the power of fear, as they were obviously afraid, and didnt want to admit it. he was basically let them know that if a young race such as humans could overcome fear, and work around it, surely the great and powerful guardians could to.

thats what i got from it....could be wrong...

• Like 1

And don't get me started on the ridiculous helicoptor crash that defied physics and "miraculously" managed not to kill anyone with its rampaging rotor blades as it perpetually skidded through a crowd of hundreds, changing direction to suit the needs of the narrative.

Wow, really?

Hal went back to Oa for help, but found out they were going to use a different tactic "yellow ring" and then he said give me a chance by myself then at the expense of them not using the yellow power because he saw what he can do.

You know what else is lame, how about when the Destroyer was blasing cars and building and no one got hurt, you know physics and all, like if you are next to an exploding car how do you walk away so easily???

Seriously, some of you guys are just itching to find plot holes in order to complain or downplay the movie, sad really. Then some say it dragged, ummm ok, I guess Xmen and Thor didn't drag and were action intense or story intense all the way through, yeah sort of like the ENTIRE middle section of the Thor movie.

It really bothered me how little Sinestro and the corsp members were in the film. There was hardly any interaction between Hal and any of them. I like how Sinestro, who is suppose to be one of the elite if not the most elite of all the Lanterns kicks Hal's butt during training and gets pissed. The guy had been a GL for 10 minutes. I thought that was weak and could have been handled much better. It would have made more sense to go with Sinestro on a mission type thing and have Hal screw up while showboating and having Sinestro get in his grill for not taking it serious. It is just not believable to rip a guy and give up on him after 5 minutes of training. I felt like they squandered an opportunity to develop the Hal Sinestro relationship doing it the way they did.

it was a HAL origin...the focus was on HAL, you clearly missed the entire point. sinestro had no faith in humans. why would he have chosen hal(of all GLs) to take on a mission? his lack of faith in a human is what lead him to be an ass to Hal after only 10mins. he also felt that he had no place being there, and he was even more upset that abin(be a great warrior/lantern) ring would chose a its next wearer from such a weak minded species.

if a threat appears that seems unstoppable, and frightens those that are never afraid ...who would you take/send?..the whole corps? in what situation has ANY military done such a thing? true, the action was rushed, but it did help develop characters.....Hal and Sinestro. it was set up to show that their best lantern (sinestro) had even felt the true power of fear, and what it was capable of, and it was to later develop him in to a yellow ring wearer. it couldve had more fighting, true, but it didnt need it to get the point that they were making across. as far as escaping, sinestro, kilowag, and tomar were probably less afraid or something...who knows? but i really dont see how thats important....i guess thats a matter of opinion.

Apparently you paid attention and weren't looking hoping the movie was flawed.

No, SP I paid attention too and I saw a boring choppy movie, even though I was hoping for an entertaining movie. I realize the story is about Hal, but there are characters which help shape Hal and we did not get to see a lot of them

I may be wrong, but at that point I believe Parallax changed course for Earth and the Corps was going to use the yellow ring to attack him. Perhaps Jordan's ring told him about this.

This is usually the part where someone explains that this is a superhero movie and suspension of reality is required, which tends to lead into a whole bunch of other arguments.

No, SP I paid attention too and I saw a boring choppy movie, even though I was hoping for an entertaining movie. I realize the story is about Hal, but there are characters which help shape Hal and we did not get to see a lot of them

And who are those people?

Martin Jordan.

Hal's brothers.

Carol Ferris.

Sinestro.

Kilowog, which is pushing it.

Which of these supporting characters did not receive ample screen time in a film about Hal Jordan?

Seriously, some of you guys are just itching to find plot holes in order to complain or downplay the movie, sad really.

Did the 3D glasses fit over your DC blinders?

@smilepunch@

Seriously, we all know your DC Guy, but pointing out the movie's flaws (and there WERE flaws) doesn't make anyone a "soundborad for critics" or Lemmings that follow what everyone else says.

I am a big fan of the GL comics and after seeing the movie I can say I am a fan of the movie. IMO superhero movies are a lot like comic rewrites, it’s another person’s take on the way the story is told. They changed a few things for the movie and I thought it worked well for the amount of time used to tell this version

HAHA.......seriously, you would of preferred a movie bombarded with Hal dealing with his personal issues with every member of the cast. Ok, dude, I guess that is what floats your boat.