Sign in to follow this  
cjflan32

DC Comics: The Big Reboot

I'll reserve my opinion till I read a couple of issues.

DC is banking on this type of patience.

35 years of reading and collecting gives me that patience.

That's what happens when you replace Dave Mustaine with Kirk Hammet.

Haha yea no kidding. But at the same time I'm glad that Dave exited, because if he didn't we wouldn't have Megadeth...

I think the reboot can be interesting. I am going to pick up some issues today.

Cool signature. I could almost hear Mr. Ross saying "lets paint some nice little trees... just small happy trees all around the sunny mountains".... That guy was cool.

That's what happens when you replace Dave Mustaine with Kirk Hammet.

Haha yea no kidding. But at the same time I'm glad that Dave exited, because if he didn't we wouldn't have Megadeth...

Definitely. I can listen to all of Megadeth's albums until the day I die.

I didn't think the new Justice League was great but it wasn't horrible either. I'm a big Jim Lee fan and dig Geoff Johns' Green Lantern books so I have hope for it. However, I flipped through the new Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Action Comics and they all seemed pretty bland. I don't think the New 52 is going to do sales or critical wonders for DC. I have confidence that the new GL books ESPECIALLY Red Lanterns will be worth checking out if they aren't changing the continuity much.

Also as a side note... In their primes I slightly give the edge to Metallica. Love the 1st three albums like nobody's business. Megadeth rules though and So Far So Good So What and RUST IN PEACE are two masterpieces in their own right!

I'm not picking any of these up, but I did notice something in the comic shop today. My LCS barely ordered any of these. Oh, they got all the titles in, but except for maybe Action and Detective, they didn't have more then 5 copies of each title. Despite DC aggresively advocating OVER-Orders with the caveat that the first few issues would be returnable. And a buddy of mine in a different area said his Comic Guy couldn't set some issues aside because he hadn't ordered enough to do so. So I'm trying to get a gauge from all over the country. Did your Local Comics Shop err on the side of caution and under order most of these titles? When you're in the shop buying your books over the next couple weeks, check to see how many copies of each 52 title are on the rack. I don't need exact counts, but y'know guesstimate relative to the other titles from Marvel, Image, IDW, etc. I'd like to know. I think it will be interesting to get a real time feel on whether this thing is successful or not.

My shop didn't even order Hawk and Dove. Now granted I did get there late today so I guess it's POSSIBLE that they sold out of that over Action, Swamp Thing, and Detective....what am I saying, it's NOT possible. They didn't order Hawk and Dove.

I must admit that I am so desperate to see Superman done in a fresh and interesting way, I almost want to check out Action to see if THIS is the time they do it. Anyone read this one yet? I skimmed through the pages, looked if-y.

(On the other side of the aile, I was planning on possibly using this time to up my Marvel reading, until I took a closer look at the Captain America #2 I bought last week. Minus two pages of story, STILL FOUR DOLLARS !?!?!?! How can an industry survive by saying F-you to its fans so often?)

I must admit that I am so desperate to see Superman done in a fresh and interesting way, I almost want to check out Action to see if THIS is the time they do it. Anyone read this one yet? I skimmed through the pages, looked if-y.

(On the other side of the aile, I was planning on possibly using this time to up my Marvel reading, until I took a closer look at the Captain America #2 I bought last week. Minus two pages of story, STILL FOUR DOLLARS !?!?!?! How can an industry survive by saying F-you to its fans so often?)

My biggest gripe about Superman is that in Action Comics he's just a little too Peter Parker-ish. The overall feel is similar to the Ultimates Universe in Marvel books.

I feel your pain on the cost of comics. Captain America is just a little too much... but the story got a little more interesting in #2 so I may stick with it. I'm also sticking with Swamp Thing.

My shop didn't even order Hawk and Dove. Now granted I did get there late today so I guess it's POSSIBLE that they sold out of that over Action, Swamp Thing, and Detective....what am I saying, it's NOT possible. They didn't order Hawk and Dove.

Interesting. I didn't see Hawk and Dove today either. To bad, that was one of the books I was most looking forward to.

My biggest gripe about Superman is that in Action Comics he's just a little too Peter Parker-ish. The overall feel is similar to the Ultimates Universe in Marvel books.

Thats how i have been putting it since i started reading Flashpoint.

Has anyone read anything else that came out since Justice League #1? Any honest opinions on the new stuff so far?

I picked up Action Comics, Green Arrow, and Batgirl.

Honest opinion? Action Comics was like reading a comic where you've missed a bunch of issues. Characters turn up without really being given any real introduction. There's never a clear idea of what Clark is supposed to be doing, or where the story is leading. A poor start to a new take on a classic character.

I realize we do things different out here in the sticks, but when we start telling a new story, we usually start at the beginning.

Green Arrow seems to be attempting to remake comic Ollie in TV Ollie's image. Which for a Smallville fan like me isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately, they fail to generate any kind of interest while doing it. Not bad, not good, just... there.

Of the three, Batgirl was the only one that I really liked. Barbara's history as Oracle is touched on, and acttually sets up the story. A story tthat actually caught my interest enough to pick up #2 next month.

So Batgirl was still Oracle, but she was never crippled?

In the book, she mentions being shot by the Joker and crippled for 3 years. Then a "miracle" happened and now she can walk again.

I've read that she was still crippled, but she regained the ability to walk again.

In the book, she mentions being shot by the Joker and crippled for 3 years. Then a "miracle" happened and now she can walk again.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info, guys.

I wonder what the miracle is/was.

I didn't really care for Barbara Gordon's Batgirl but I did like the new Justice League#1. I guess some stories are better off starting fresh.

Action Comics#1

AC#1 was ok for me. I liked the story. I feel like it's Grant Morrison's writing style to start with a big bang with characters all over the place and slowly develop the character's back story and make sense to the story. The only complain is the stupid look they went for. "Superman" is wearing pants, shoes and a blue T shirt but also a red cape? I felt like it would have been a lot better if he lose the cape or just went with a red jacket like Smallville.

Swampthing#1

Interesting first issue considering the book is called Swampthing but #1 is mainly about Alec Holland back in the living. It used to be about Swampthing thinking that he is Alec Holland because Holland's memories were absorbed into Swampthing but now that Alec is back to life again he remembers memories of Swampthing instead. It's definitely an interesting title considering it's been a long time since Swampie got an ongoing series or any cameo or guest appearance at all pre-Blackest Night.

Detective Comics#1

It was ok. I didn't hate it nor felt it was anything great. The last 2 pages did felt like a interesting twist regarding Joker. It was the main reason why I picked up this book while I was flipping through it in the comic store.

Animal Man#1

Bought it, haven't read it yet altho I heard some good things about it so far.

Other titles I'm planning to pick up: Catwoman#1, DC Comics Presents #1, maybe Batman#1.

Green Lantern #1 is good, but only if you've been following the story for the past couple of years. Otherwise, I would say this is a horrible issue for new readers. Same thing for Red Lanterns #1.

PharmV

Apparantly everything written by Geoff Johns still "counts", so...

Only one I've picked up so far was Swamp Thing #1 and that's because I like the creative team. Never read a ST comic in my life. I was a bit underwhelmed.

Really the best thing so far this September, comic-wise, would be me raiding the back issues at my LCS for Batman and Supes books I don't have....and I suppose this month's GI Joe ARAH was pretty good too.

I picked up #1 of Batwing and I have to say I liked it alot. Maybe it's just me but I think it could be A really good comic if they keep it going the same way they started it.

I agree that Green Lantern is a great book as usual. Glad that the story is continuing like nothing has changed. Red Lanterns #1 was pretty great and I dug Deathstroke #1. I read Batman #1 last night and thought it was pretty bland. I won't be picking up issue #2. Green Lantern Corps seems to have missed a step as well but I'm sure it will improve with time.

Also picked up Nightwing, Red Hood & the Outlaws but have yet to read them. I am going to stick with Justice League for now. I feel like Geoff Johns' writing isn't as strong as usual but looking forward to Darkseid and I still dig Jim Lee's art. Teen Titans looks to be badass based on the art but we will see.

Green Lantern: New Guardians should rule. I like the idea of Kyle, Bleez, Glomulus, Arkillo, Saint Walker and Indigo guy as the New Guardians.

Honestly, I will always dig the GL titles but feel like I'm much more interested in Marvel after the New 52. Fear Itself has been better than I thought it would be, Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America never disaapoint, Thunderbolts is consistently good... I think the new volume of Wolverine has told some of his best stories in years.