DC Comics: The Big Reboot

cjflan32

I bought all 52 issue #1s

A lot of people did.

This is by no means the last time we'll see this happen. DC made boatloads of money on this. I predict new #1s every few years from here on out!

It's all Bob Harras knows how to do.

Sooo apparently Wonder Woman is gonna be the daughter of Zeus now.

Seriously, if you don't like the "sculpted from clay and brought to life through devine gift" origin, fine. But a one night stand with the king of the gods? Isn't that a little cliche? Like ALOT!

This new Wonder Woman origin is pretty lame, and I don't see the need for it. I know the born from clay origin isn't her first origin, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Wait now, just thinking of this one:

So in New DC Batman has been Batman for roughly 6 years. However, he still had a child (Damian) with Talia while on a mission as Batman. However, Damian is like 11 or 12 years old. UGH!

Continuity has become so ugly that the fans can't even think about it anymore lest they run the risk of becoming so discusted they give up the hoby. Best you can do is take it issue by issue, don't think about what came before , and just hope for a good story and art in the here and now. Which we could have done WITHOUT a reboot.

So in New DC Batman has been Batman for roughly 6 years. However, he still had a child (Damian) with Talia while on a mission as Batman. However, Damian is like 11 or 12 years old. UGH!

Don't forget the part that Richard Grayson was raised by Bruce (Richard was the age of eight in the pre-crisis of the 80's, and age twelve post crisis of the 80's). And in the new DCnU Dick is still the grown up Nightwing.... So if Bruce has only been Bats for six years in the DCnU... Then within those six years, Richard grew up, Jay became Robin, then died and came back... Tim became Robin...and somewhere in the time line Damian was born, and then became the new Robin after Tim became Red Robin.... Either Bruce has become Peter Pan (hey he does tend to spend a lot of his time around children, and he refuses to let go of his childhood), since everyone around him seems to age except for him... Or the new "powers that be" at DC Comics, have royally fcked up beyond words.... I strongly believe the latter of the two scenarios....

Hopefully for the people that are still following the fckin mess that is the DCnU-- Bruce Wayne is still "the Batman", the world's greatest detective mind, who dresses up like a bat, who's a martial arts prodigy, with an arsenal of gadgets... And will NOT be re-imagined somewhere down the line-- as some guy holding a Baseball bat, running around the streets of the night, and viciously swinging for the Arkham fences...

Since trying to comprehend and piece together the illogical continuity of the DCnU-- may cause nausea, vomiting, unsteadiness, and excessive perspiration...even for the biggest and most loyal of fanboys... DC Comics should have put the "DCnU" fiasco, under their "Vertigo" brand instead...

Don't forget the part that Richard Grayson was raised by Bruce (Richard was the age of eight in the pre-crisis of the 80's, and age twelve post crisis of the 80's). And in the new DCnU Dick is still the grown up Nightwing.... So if Bruce has only been Bats for six years in the DCnU... Then within those six years, Richard grew up, Jay became Robin, then died and came back... Tim became Robin...and somewhere in the time line Damian was born, and then became the new Robin after Tim became Red Robin.... Either Bruce has become Peter Pan (hey he does tend to spend a lot of his time around children, and he refuses to let go of his childhood), since everyone around him seems to age except for him... Or the new "powers that be" at DC Comics, have royally fcked up beyond words.... I strongly believe the latter of the two scenarios....

Hopefully for the people that are still following the fckin mess that is the DCnU-- Bruce Wayne is still "the Batman", the world's greatest detective mind, who dresses up like a bat, who's a martial arts prodigy, with an arsenal of gadgets... And will NOT be re-imagined somewhere down the line-- as some guy holding a Baseball bat, running around the streets of the night, and viciously swinging for the Arkham fences...

Since trying to comprehend and piece together the illogical continuity of the DCnU-- may cause nausea, vomiting, unsteadiness, and excessive perspiration...even for the biggest and most loyal of fanboys... DC Comics should have put the "DCnU" fiasco, under their "Vertigo" brand instead...

Agreed. WHY did they do this? If they HAVE to do all #1s, fine, you need the sales, I get it. All this mess guarantees is yet another continuity "fixer" story line sometime down the road. That's right...ANOTHER one! Given the severity of these f-ups I'd guess sooner rather than later. I'd say right around the time the fans' euphoria of buying 52 first issues wears off.

Just tell good stories!

I am digging Suicide Squad so far. Read the 1st 2 issues this week. Also, GL #2 was pretty decent as well. Is anyone reading Batman: the Dark Knight? Picked up all of the issues (previous 5 and the rebooted #1) but still have yet to read any.

I am digging Suicide Squad so far. Read the 1st 2 issues this week. Also, GL #2 was pretty decent as well. Is anyone reading Batman: the Dark Knight? Picked up all of the issues (previous 5 and the rebooted #1) but still have yet to read any.

Suicude Squad is one of my eh books at the moment...im gonna give it the 5 issue chance...GL is amazing...as for Batman TDK there where 7 issues before the renumbering...so far its decent. Batman and Robin is very interesting...Bruce is trying to right the wrong of Damians upbringing giving him more of a parental role that he used to shove towards Alfred back in the day with Dick, Jason, and Tim

It's actually the JLA issue that mess up continuity for Batman and Green Lantern. It set the five year timeline in new continuity while BM and GL stayed in old continuity. So theres bad editing right there. I also have loved the new batbooks.

The differentiated treatment in this universe seems based souly on popularity. If you're Batman and GL you're safe but anything else...watch out. You have to do all or nothing with these resets or you get a mess like this. But no matter the level of fan frustration, I'm sure this is all easily justified given all the money DC made in Sept.

I too am a fan of the Bat books. The creative teams have been virtually unchanged between now and the past year, their continuity continues on. But I feel like I dare not poke my head into the rest of the DCU lest I beat my head against the wall in confusion.

to me they had been superheroes all the time before jla but the 5 years mentioned in jla was i believe meant for 5 years before the justice league happend. like a prologue to jutice league. i dont know for sure do because i am just at issue one. lol

It's actually the JLA issue that mess up continuity for Batman and Green Lantern. It set the five year timeline in new continuity while BM and GL stayed in old continuity. So theres bad editing right there. I also have loved the new batbooks.

The differentiated treatment in this universe seems based souly on popularity. If you're Batman and GL you're safe but anything else...watch out. You have to do all or nothing with these resets or you get a mess like this. But no matter the level of fan frustration, I'm sure this is all easily justified given all the money DC made in Sept.

I too am a fan of the Bat books. The creative teams have been virtually unchanged between now and the past year, their continuity continues on. But I feel like I dare not poke my head into the rest of the DCU lest I beat my head against the wall in confusion.

It's extremely confusing. I'm also wondering how Barbara Gordon Batgirl fits into batcontinuity.

to me they had been superheroes all the time before jla but the 5 years mentioned in jla was i believe meant for 5 years before the justice league happend. like a prologue to jutice league. i dont know for sure do because i am just at issue one. lol

That sounds more logicial. Say pryer 5 years to JLA and say JLA has been active for 5 years and that may bridge the gap. Issue one was great, had good Batman stuff. Looking forward to issue two.

Okay...I've been collecting comics on and off for nearly my entire life, but only seriously since 1990. Now in recent years, due to a limited budget and rising prices, along with toy collecting taking priority, I've only bought maybe one or two books a year on average. So naturally my experience with DC is extremely limited to some older Superman back issues and a handfull of Batman books I have in my rather stagnant yet well-maintained collection.

I've never considered myself strictly been a Marvel or DC reader, although I do tend to lean more towards Marvel in general. I just tend to gravitate to characters and/or books that catch my eye and I think is cool. I guess I'm a shallow reader that way, so my reactions to the new reboot are of a casual, non-informed nature.

First of all, I can appreciate the need for continuity. I like for characters to have a sense of history and development. I used to hate how some of the top-tier Image books for example seemed to restart every thirty or forty issues. I felt like it was a sucker-punch to longtime readers in an effort to simply boost lagging sales. Maybe that's one of the things that added to my waning interest in comics over the last decade or so. It's also another reason I probably tended to focus on artists rather than a given book as a whole. I used to find one-shot graphic novels much more satisfying than "runs" of a book because I knew when a new artist took over for a regular book and it was suddenly taking a "new direction", it meant the great talent that had been working on it were tired of it and were moving on to other projects. I can see that. I understand completely from a creative standpoint, but it was usually disappointing from a fan's point of view. I just always admired books that had a higher number up in the top-right-hand corner, even though I was never one to read runs that numbered in the hundreds. Maybe I'm simply too lazy... (lol)

So like I said, being the casual comic book reader that I've turned into, comics in general haven't been on my radar in a long time. Sure, I'd wander into a store and get a book every now and then, usually based on the cool cover, then I'd get home and grumble when the interior art didn't match the front. "Crap!! They got me again!!" (lol) But that's about it. I've just been extremely busy the last few years, and I just haven't had the time or the money really to read comics on a consistent basis.

But life has settled back down into a new normal for me, and some diversions are starting to become alluring again, comics being one of them. It all started when I saw pics of the upcoming spectacular Hot Toys "Michael Keaton" Batman. That renewed my interest in Batman in general, and in my searches for all things Batman, I was reminded of my love in turn for Superman, fledgling interest in Green Lantern (I own two Green Lantern books...the one where he turns into Parallax and a more recent one of him and Batman on the cover.) (lol), and just DC in general. So naturally I was intrigued recently when I learned of the "reboot" of some of DC's long-running core titles, even though I knew it was one of the aforementioned "gimmicks" to try and snag new readers and maybe re-snag some older ones like me. And I was equally intrigued by the notion of some character redesigns. All of these things, paired with my ever-growing interest and excitement over the upcoming The Man of Steel film have just proved too much. I had to get these new books and check them out. I figured it'd be a great jumping-on point for me since I've not been a dedicated reader. But I just knew I was falling for DC's plan, hook, line, and sinker. I'm probably exactly the kind of reader they're trying to reel-in since readership has possibly been down and prices have been up, but I can't help myself; I'm a sucker for any project associated with Jim Lee. (lol)

I wanted to get JLA, Superman, and one of the new Batman books, and that's about it. I checked one store recently, and they were long sold out. It wasn't exactly pressing for me; I just wanted to check these books out if they happened to be available at any given time I happened to be in a comic book store. (That's real dedication for ya, huh.) (lol) So I've been biding my time for the last couple of weeks, and I decided to check out my local store. I hadn't been there in absolutely forever, and I wasn't necessarily looking for any of the "reboot" books. As a matter of fact, I only remembered them when the comic shop owner told me that he was giving a discount if readers would buy issues one and two of the reboot books. I was secretly like, "Oh yeah! I forgot about those. I wonder if he has Batman, Superman, and/or JLA?" (lol)

Guys...I walked out of there having spent thirty-five-flippin' bucks on books and related items. (lol) Honestly, most of it was supplies; I desperately needed magazine bags and boards for my Star Wars Insider issues, but in addition I bought JLA #1 and #2, and I also got the Ultimate Spider-Man reboot issue #1. I know, I know...these things are a ploy to gain my readership and money back, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. Speaking of which, I also bought the 20th Anniversary first issue of Jim Lee's X-Men. I have the originals still in my collection...in multiples! And I still bought it!! (lol) Actually the colors and paper-stock are superior to the original printing, but I digress...

I almost choked when I saw the cover prices...$3.99?! Are you kidding me??!! But like I said I was a sucker anyway and just had to have the pretty Jim Lee covers. (lol) Then I got home and read them...

All I can say is...AWESOME!! Perhaps this will be a limited ploy, and maybe the parties involved will move on after fifteen or twenty issues, but for now I'm locked in. I absolutely LOVE the characterizations; in the past Green Lantern always seemed kinda stodgy and goody-goody to me in all of the older issues I ever read with him, but I'm talking like thirty-year-old issues. (I told you my experience was limited.) He just never seemed very interesting to me. Now he seems to come across as cocky and arrogant, and his cocksure attitude played against Batman's own calm and cool self-assuredness was alot of fun to read. WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! For example, there's this part where Green Lantern is bragging on and on about what his ring can do, and he's asking Batmna if he has any super powers and concluding, "So basically you're just a regular guy in a batsuit?!" And Batman, with slight of hand, slips his ring off his hand and Hal instantly reverts back to his secret identity, and stunned, he basically asks how the crap did he slip it off like that, to which Batman flatly replies, "It seems to be based on concentration...and you weren't concentrating." (lol) But then towards the end of issue #1 Superman shows up and it gets real interesting. So it's not just the pretty visuals that have me hooked; the books seemed to be well-written as well. And as long as they can keep them fresh and exciting like these first two issues were, I'm in. One other thing...I'll have to admit that I don't know much about Flash either, but he shows up, acting all cocksure around Superman, about how he's so fast that nobody's ever so much as touched him, and Superman finally lays him out with a flick of his finger. (lol) Flash's reply is hilarious and makes Superman out to be awesome all at the same time.

As I finished the second book, I noticed in an ad that George Perez is actually doing the new Superman book, and that makes me want to get my hands on it even more than I already did. I'd also like to get the new Batman; they didn't have either one at my shop today. Guess I'll have to resort to online auctions or hope they do second or third printings.

I guess most of my excitement is based on the new designs. I wasn't too sure about it. Even though I've not been an avid reader over the years, I still admire characters that retain their classic looks. Batman has been a little more flexible than others; as long as he has the basic intimidating bat theme going on, he gets a pass. The same goes for Iron Man. But when you change Superman, it's like changing the American flag; it's just not right. But I have to say I absolutely love his new design. I just couldn't stop staring at it when I was looking at my books. I also found the others like Flash and Green Lantern to be very cool. The changes to their costumes are very subtle and understated, but just cool enough to let you know they're different and very interesting yet retaining most of their classics designs respectively, which I realize even their familiar iconic looks weren't their original designs either, but anyway...

In all of this excitement, I began to wonder, in turn, if DC Direct was going to do action figures based on the cool new designs, and deep down I also wondered if they might wait to see what reader reaction would be to the new designs before the gave the green-light for new figures. Well, I checked out the NYCC pages for DC...and there they were, in all their glory. I can't express how excited I was to see them. It was like I was nine years old all over again and seeing those new G.I. Joe characters on the back of the cardbacks. (lol) I've just gotta have that Superman, Batman, and Flash, respectively.

Oh, and by the way, I know this is the DC board, but the new Ultimate Spider-Man seemed very well done too, FYI. I just flipped through it and really didn't have time to read it yet. I mainly wanted to see if the dude was rocking the cool new costume in it...which he wasn't since it's an origin story. (See what a shallow reader I am?) (lol)

In all of this excitement, I began to wonder, in turn, if DC Direct was going to do action figures based on the cool new designs, and deep down I also wondered if they might wait to see what reader reaction would be to the new designs before the gave the green-light for new figures. Well, I checked out the NYCC pages for DC...and there they were, in all their glory. I can't express how excited I was to see them. It was like I was nine years old all over again and seeing those new G.I. Joe characters on the back of the cardbacks. (lol) I've just gotta have that Superman, Batman, and Flash, respectively.

Those DCD figures do look nice. Personally I'm waiting for more B listers. Nightwing, Supergirl, Batgirl and Swamp Thing would be cool.

Okay...I've been collecting comics on and off for nearly my entire life, but only seriously since 1990. Now in recent years, due to a limited budget and rising prices, along with toy collecting taking priority, I've only bought maybe one or two books a year on average. So naturally my experience with DC is extremely limited to some older Superman back issues and a handfull of Batman books I have in my rather stagnant yet well-maintained collection.

I've never considered myself strictly been a Marvel or DC reader, although I do tend to lean more towards Marvel in general. I just tend to gravitate to characters and/or books that catch my eye and I think is cool. I guess I'm a shallow reader that way, so my reactions to the new reboot are of a casual, non-informed nature.

First of all, I can appreciate the need for continuity. I like for characters to have a sense of history and development. I used to hate how some of the top-tier Image books for example seemed to restart every thirty or forty issues. I felt like it was a sucker-punch to longtime readers in an effort to simply boost lagging sales. Maybe that's one of the things that added to my waning interest in comics over the last decade or so. It's also another reason I probably tended to focus on artists rather than a given book as a whole. I used to find one-shot graphic novels much more satisfying than "runs" of a book because I knew when a new artist took over for a regular book and it was suddenly taking a "new direction", it meant the great talent that had been working on it were tired of it and were moving on to other projects. I can see that. I understand completely from a creative standpoint, but it was usually disappointing from a fan's point of view. I just always admired books that had a higher number up in the top-right-hand corner, even though I was never one to read runs that numbered in the hundreds. Maybe I'm simply too lazy... (lol)

So like I said, being the casual comic book reader that I've turned into, comics in general haven't been on my radar in a long time. Sure, I'd wander into a store and get a book every now and then, usually based on the cool cover, then I'd get home and grumble when the interior art didn't match the front. "Crap!! They got me again!!" (lol) But that's about it. I've just been extremely busy the last few years, and I just haven't had the time or the money really to read comics on a consistent basis.

But life has settled back down into a new normal for me, and some diversions are starting to become alluring again, comics being one of them. It all started when I saw pics of the upcoming spectacular Hot Toys "Michael Keaton" Batman. That renewed my interest in Batman in general, and in my searches for all things Batman, I was reminded of my love in turn for Superman, fledgling interest in Green Lantern (I own two Green Lantern books...the one where he turns into Parallax and a more recent one of him and Batman on the cover.) (lol), and just DC in general. So naturally I was intrigued recently when I learned of the "reboot" of some of DC's long-running core titles, even though I knew it was one of the aforementioned "gimmicks" to try and snag new readers and maybe re-snag some older ones like me. And I was equally intrigued by the notion of some character redesigns. All of these things, paired with my ever-growing interest and excitement over the upcoming The Man of Steel film have just proved too much. I had to get these new books and check them out. I figured it'd be a great jumping-on point for me since I've not been a dedicated reader. But I just knew I was falling for DC's plan, hook, line, and sinker. I'm probably exactly the kind of reader they're trying to reel-in since readership has possibly been down and prices have been up, but I can't help myself; I'm a sucker for any project associated with Jim Lee. (lol)

I wanted to get JLA, Superman, and one of the new Batman books, and that's about it. I checked one store recently, and they were long sold out. It wasn't exactly pressing for me; I just wanted to check these books out if they happened to be available at any given time I happened to be in a comic book store. (That's real dedication for ya, huh.) (lol) So I've been biding my time for the last couple of weeks, and I decided to check out my local store. I hadn't been there in absolutely forever, and I wasn't necessarily looking for any of the "reboot" books. As a matter of fact, I only remembered them when the comic shop owner told me that he was giving a discount if readers would buy issues one and two of the reboot books. I was secretly like, "Oh yeah! I forgot about those. I wonder if he has Batman, Superman, and/or JLA?" (lol)

Guys...I walked out of there having spent thirty-five-flippin' bucks on books and related items. (lol) Honestly, most of it was supplies; I desperately needed magazine bags and boards for my Star Wars Insider issues, but in addition I bought JLA #1 and #2, and I also got the Ultimate Spider-Man reboot issue #1. I know, I know...these things are a ploy to gain my readership and money back, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. Speaking of which, I also bought the 20th Anniversary first issue of Jim Lee's X-Men. I have the originals still in my collection...in multiples! And I still bought it!! (lol) Actually the colors and paper-stock are superior to the original printing, but I digress...

I almost choked when I saw the cover prices...$3.99?! Are you kidding me??!! But like I said I was a sucker anyway and just had to have the pretty Jim Lee covers. (lol) Then I got home and read them...

All I can say is...AWESOME!! Perhaps this will be a limited ploy, and maybe the parties involved will move on after fifteen or twenty issues, but for now I'm locked in. I absolutely LOVE the characterizations; in the past Green Lantern always seemed kinda stodgy and goody-goody to me in all of the older issues I ever read with him, but I'm talking like thirty-year-old issues. (I told you my experience was limited.) He just never seemed very interesting to me. Now he seems to come across as cocky and arrogant, and his cocksure attitude played against Batman's own calm and cool self-assuredness was alot of fun to read. WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! For example, there's this part where Green Lantern is bragging on and on about what his ring can do, and he's asking Batmna if he has any super powers and concluding, "So basically you're just a regular guy in a batsuit?!" And Batman, with slight of hand, slips his ring off his hand and Hal instantly reverts back to his secret identity, and stunned, he basically asks how the crap did he slip it off like that, to which Batman flatly replies, "It seems to be based on concentration...and you weren't concentrating." (lol) But then towards the end of issue #1 Superman shows up and it gets real interesting. So it's not just the pretty visuals that have me hooked; the books seemed to be well-written as well. And as long as they can keep them fresh and exciting like these first two issues were, I'm in. One other thing...I'll have to admit that I don't know much about Flash either, but he shows up, acting all cocksure around Superman, about how he's so fast that nobody's ever so much as touched him, and Superman finally lays him out with a flick of his finger. (lol) Flash's reply is hilarious and makes Superman out to be awesome all at the same time.

As I finished the second book, I noticed in an ad that George Perez is actually doing the new Superman book, and that makes me want to get my hands on it even more than I already did. I'd also like to get the new Batman; they didn't have either one at my shop today. Guess I'll have to resort to online auctions or hope they do second or third printings.

I guess most of my excitement is based on the new designs. I wasn't too sure about it. Even though I've not been an avid reader over the years, I still admire characters that retain their classic looks. Batman has been a little more flexible than others; as long as he has the basic intimidating bat theme going on, he gets a pass. The same goes for Iron Man. But when you change Superman, it's like changing the American flag; it's just not right. But I have to say I absolutely love his new design. I just couldn't stop staring at it when I was looking at my books. I also found the others like Flash and Green Lantern to be very cool. The changes to their costumes are very subtle and understated, but just cool enough to let you know they're different and very interesting yet retaining most of their classics designs respectively, which I realize even their familiar iconic looks weren't their original designs either, but anyway...

Oh, and by the way, I know this is the DC board, but the new Ultimate Spider-Man seemed very well done too, FYI. I just flipped through it and really didn't have time to read it yet. I mainly wanted to see if the dude was rocking the cool new costume in it...which he wasn't since it's an origin story. (See what a shallow reader I am?) (lol)

JLA,Batman, and Superman are the best new titles. Detective and Action are also really good. Bought the original Jim Lee X-Men number one not to long ago. Was great reminded me of the cartoons.

Bought the original Jim Lee X-Men number one not to long ago. Was great reminded me of the cartoons.

Hey man, that X-Men number 1 is what got me into superhero comics. Before that it was strictly GI Joe. True, they are now 10 for $1 at any comic store but still, always did like Jim Lee (he's a nice guy, too!)

Sheesh...you guys keep talking about all this stuff, I may just end-up getting back into collecting comics seriously again. This is all bringing back alot of great memories. Years ago, collecting comics was my thing. Now I didn't know company continuities backwards and forwards, and as big as my collection is, I'm sure it's relatively small compared to more serious collectors, but I used to be into it pretty hot and heavy. Star Wars Power of the Force 2 figures came out in 1995, and all of the subsequent toy lines that followed kinda sidetracked me for the last sixteen years. (lol) I used to try and juggle collecting toys along with comics, but it eventually became too much and figures became my number one collecting priority since comics have always traditionally been easier to back-track and get price-wise than action figures, although I know that's not always the case, especially when it comes to retailer exclusive covers and what-not.

I guess for me it's more about the art and the whole design aspect of comics since I've always dabbled some in artwork and drawing myself. I used to love designing new characters or perhaps new versions of well-known characters. That's actually where my user name comes from; I designed a mash-up character that combined Batman and Daredevil...Devil Bat! But when a book has gorgeous illustrations and is written well, it's just icing on the cake for me.

Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Mark Silvestri, and Rob Liefield were the men primarily responsible for getting me interested in comics. Their artwork to me was just phenominal, especially Jim Lee's work. I think the man could draw stick figures and make them look awesome. (lol)

Batman, Nightwing, Detective, GL, GL Corps, Red Lanterns all great books so far

I agree. To be honest though, everything I've read has been pretty good. Justice League Dark and Wonderwoman are kind of slow starting. Their pace reminded me of the first couple issues of the new Hellraiser comics.

I get to speak to a lot of artist and inkers in the industry and from what they have been telling me without actually telling me is that there is something BIG happening with the Joker...he has been untouchable for artist and writers for a good while ONly the Detective Comics Team know where its going. So we have to keep following Detective Comics to see...