DC Comics: The Big Reboot

cjflan32

Green Lantern #1 is good, but only if you've been following the story for the past couple of years. Otherwise, I would say this is a horrible issue for new readers. Same thing for Red Lanterns #1.

PharmV

Apparantly everything written by Geoff Johns still "counts", so...

Only one I've picked up so far was Swamp Thing #1 and that's because I like the creative team. Never read a ST comic in my life. I was a bit underwhelmed.

Really the best thing so far this September, comic-wise, would be me raiding the back issues at my LCS for Batman and Supes books I don't have....and I suppose this month's GI Joe ARAH was pretty good too.

I agree that Green Lantern is a great book as usual. Glad that the story is continuing like nothing has changed. Red Lanterns #1 was pretty great and I dug Deathstroke #1. I read Batman #1 last night and thought it was pretty bland. I won't be picking up issue #2. Green Lantern Corps seems to have missed a step as well but I'm sure it will improve with time.

Also picked up Nightwing, Red Hood & the Outlaws but have yet to read them. I am going to stick with Justice League for now. I feel like Geoff Johns' writing isn't as strong as usual but looking forward to Darkseid and I still dig Jim Lee's art. Teen Titans looks to be badass based on the art but we will see.

Green Lantern: New Guardians should rule. I like the idea of Kyle, Bleez, Glomulus, Arkillo, Saint Walker and Indigo guy as the New Guardians.

Honestly, I will always dig the GL titles but feel like I'm much more interested in Marvel after the New 52. Fear Itself has been better than I thought it would be, Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America never disaapoint, Thunderbolts is consistently good... I think the new volume of Wolverine has told some of his best stories in years.

After reading a few I'm not getting what they're doing with continuity.

GL is going along same as ever, all the storylines from the past few years are intact. Dito with Batman. Reading the first few pages of Nightwing, he begins by refering to all of his time spent as Batman for the past few years.

Yet both GL and Bats are just meeting for the first time in JLA #1?

Then there's Superman which is apparently starting all over. Supergirl #1 begins with her crash to Earth...so THEIR continuity doesn't count (?) BAH!

As for the actual books themselves, I've read Batman, Nightwing, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Swamp Thing. The best IMO are Batman and Nightwing. Have to disagree with Batman being "bland". The story is good, has a pretty good ending that makes you wonder what will happen next, Greg Capullo should have been drawing Bats years ago. With Nightwing, I like how they're taping in to Dick's circus roots, like they were doing when he was Batamn. It also helps that they didn't ignore the past few year's stories which I really liked.

All in all this New 52 seems like a lot of hits and misses (as always), #1s for everyone, and more confusing continuity.

If you look at the 1st panel of JL #1 it says 5 years Earlier...JL is set in the past where as all the other books minus Superman have gone pretty much unchanged story wise. If you read Red Hood and the Outlaws they pushed reset on Kori (Starfire) again. But JT and Roy all are the same.

But JT and Roy all are the same.

Its good to learn that Jason is still the same sadistic vigilante, that he was before the reboot. I may even get the Red Hood book now, just to see him in action. Jason is my all time favorite Bat-villain (its safe to call him a villain, after all that hes done...), the guy makes gray characters like Deathstroke The Terminator, look like an altar boy.

If you look at the 1st panel of JL #1 it says 5 years Earlier...JL is set in the past where as all the other books minus Superman have gone pretty much unchanged story wise. If you read Red Hood and the Outlaws they pushed reset on Kori (Starfire) again. But JT and Roy all are the same.

How did Roy get his arm back??? Is there a story to it or is it just there again?

Personally I think Jason Todd is example number one of characters who serve more of a purpose when left dead. So yeah, I'm probably skipping the Red Hood book.

Roys arm i guess is one of those things that the Flashpoint fixed...that has been my answer to what hasnt been answered yet when people ask at the comic shop. I have stopped using the word "Reboot" and now just say "The Flashpoint". If EVERY character had a MAJOR change then yes i would say reboot...but honestly the majority are still in the same stories so i cannot justify saying reboot. But it has only been one issue and 18-20 pages in each book...

Only one I picked up this week was Teen Titans. I only did it because I like Red Robin and apparantly DC decided his book needed a good cancellation.

It was so-so, nothing amazing. In the land of "New DC" where some books carry on from before and some get a total reboot, this one gets the reboot. This is confusing for the Tim Drake (Red Robin) character because apparently everything that happened to him where Batman was concerned still happened. But not so with the Teen Titans.....(?) Sigh. Not sure if I'll get issue 2.....Actually, I probably won't. In a hobby that's become so expensive, there's no room for things I'm "not sure" about.

However, I did put Justice Leage Dark in may bag and my go back for it next week. It's written by Peter Milligan. I recently read his Batman story Dark Knight/Dark City (Batman #452-454) back issues (yep, been upping my back issue buying since this reboot started) and I can honestly say it's one of my favorite Batman stories! Go hunt your backissue bins, they're real gems.

New Guardians is a good read for current Green Lantern fans, but I think it's not a very good #1 issue for new readers. It doesn't really explain why Kyle is a GL when Hal is running around, asides from the fact Ganthet chose him. It also doesn't explain what happened in the beginning when it looked like the GL Corps and the Guardians are all dead. (Everything seems fine in Green Lantern #1 and Green Lantern Corps #1.)

Of the three Green Lantern issues, I think Green Lantern Corps was the best introductory issue for new readers.

I got Aquaman #1 and was surprised that it was a pretty good introduction issue that shed a little light on Aquaman's backstory, showed off some of his powers, and introduced a new threat.

PharmV

A lot of what I'm seeing in this "Reboot" reminds me of DC after Crisis on the Infinite Earths.

Basically you had this big event that was supposed to give the DCU a brand-new fresh start. Only nobody could agree on what exactly got fresh started, or even what a fresh start entailed. Some books got total "Day-One" relaunches, some continued without any changes whatsoever, some addressed only vague changes in passing, and at least one character got so screwed up (Hawkman), DC actually put a moritorium on him for several years so not even the cartoons could use him. And in the end, what had been a completely cohesive and entertaining multiverse became a big mish-mash that even the guys writing it didn't understand.

Sound familiar?

No arguement here.

I would almost recommend that the next character to get a moratorium be Superman. I really don't know if I'm digging what I see when I flip through Action and Superman #1. They're just sitting in my pull bag waiting for me to get off the fence about buying them (sure my comic guy isn't happy seeing as how he could sell them in 5 minutes).

I bought all 52 issue #1. I'm going to get all 52 issue 2s and then I plan to cut back drastically. I've read some of the 52. I kind of understand just throwing you into the story and filling in details later, but some of them seem abrupt. If they did the origin in #1 and then never revisit it they would just create a new version of the problem they are trying to fix. Where new readers can't figure out what is going on because they missed the origin. Unfortunately now everyone is slightly confused with some of the books.

I enjoyed the new Aquaman... They are definitely trying to make Arthur badass and not viewed as a joke. I liked the art of Teen Titans #1 but thought the story was pretty terrible. Red Hood & the Outlaws had a couple funny WTF moments but it reminded me of an early 90's Image book that was kind of incoherent and jumbled. Nightwing is the only #1 I picked up that I have yet to read.

New Guardians is a good read for current Green Lantern fans, but I think it's not a very good #1 issue for new readers. It doesn't really explain why Kyle is a GL when Hal is running around, asides from the fact Ganthet chose him. It also doesn't explain what happened in the beginning when it looked like the GL Corps and the Guardians are all dead. (Everything seems fine in Green Lantern #1 and Green Lantern Corps #1.)

Of the three Green Lantern issues, I think Green Lantern Corps was the best introductory issue for new readers.

I got Aquaman #1 and was surprised that it was a pretty good introduction issue that shed a little light on Aquaman's backstory, showed off some of his powers, and introduced a new threat.

PharmV

Ya it happend when they try to milk the franchise with multiple titles. It's like Batman there's Detective Comics, Batman, Batman&Robin, Batman: The Dark Knight all coming out monthly so which story is taking place in the current time and which book comes after which is totally confusing if you are reading them all. In one book you have Batman working solo, one book has Batman with Robin and the other one has Batman and Dick Grayson working together.

The Wonder Woman book didn't exactly grab me with both hands, either. I tried Swamp Thing 2 and liked it a little more now that the story is progressing. Aquaman was very solid, I'll give it 50 issues, max. Not bashing any present or future creative teams, just that, it's Aquaman.

Looks like the books making the final cut for me will be Aquaman, Batman, Detective, Nightwing...yep, not too many.

Sooo apparently Wonder Woman is gonna be the daughter of Zeus now.

Seriously, if you don't like the "sculpted from clay and brought to life through devine gift" origin, fine. But a one night stand with the king of the gods? Isn't that a little cliche? Like ALOT!

Haha Man, so Diana is daughter of Zeus in the DCnU.... Well she now joins the ranks of Heracles, Perseus, Helen, etc. in the Bastard pile...

This should put Maury Povich's ratings through the clouds....

i dont know what the big cry is about once again. its like always, some are terrible, some are great. nothing changes that much. i have read a lot of them and they did a pretty great thing here. sometimes it also depends what character you like. if you never liked batman that much so why should you know? it doesnt make it a bad book. best example for me is detective comics and what happend to joker in the end. sure he will change and people are against it but damn i wanna know what will happen next to him, how will that turn out. so exited to see his new look. i havent had that moment in a long time in comics. spiderman nails it sometimes that i am exited to get the next issue but i am a spidey-nerd so its normal. dc did a good job for a new start but it is to soon to say if it will stand the test of time. for now i cant wait to read more.

i dont know what the big cry is about once again. its like always, some are terrible, some are great. nothing changes that much. i have read a lot of them and they did a pretty great thing here. sometimes it also depends what character you like. if you never liked batman that much so why should you know? it doesnt make it a bad book. best example for me is detective comics and what happend to joker in the end. sure he will change and people are against it but damn i wanna know what will happen next to him, how will that turn out. so exited to see his new look. i havent had that moment in a long time in comics. spiderman nails it sometimes that i am exited to get the next issue but i am a spidey-nerd so its normal. dc did a good job for a new start but it is to soon to say if it will stand the test of time. for now i cant wait to read more.

Thats soo true man...i bought most of them but read all of them (perk to working at a comic shop i guess) and besides the new addtions to the DCU (ie Grifter etc) they stories were for the most part spot on from where they were...some took a pack pedal sorta like the .1's marvel had. Some got a minor rewrite (supes, aquaman, WW) but without reading the first 4 or 5 issues we cannot really past a fair judgment yet.