DC Comics: The Big Reboot

cjflan32

In my opinion If Superman ever becomes part of Marvel, that would the end for Superman as a character within comic books.... Marvel probably wouldn't know what to do with Superman... He would probably just be pushed aside, as a secondary character since hes the original and main flagship of their rival company... I'm a fan of Marvel, but Ive always been a bigger DC Comics fan at heart. I just don't feel the same sentimental attachment with Marvel, that I have always felt with DC Comics. Its like the Megadeth and Metallica rivalry within the music industry... Both bands are great bands, but my loyalty has always been with Megadeth over Metallica in terms of musical tastes. So If there's ever a snow ball's chance in hell, that Marvel end up owning Superman-- Then that would be the ultimate "fck you!" from Marvel to DC Comics...which would not make me happy.

Yeah Marvel would totally make Superman a jabroni because they didn't create him. I love me some Megadeth. They are my second favorite band.

Marvel probably wouldn't know what to do with Superman

IMO, you could have said the same for DC for the last 25 years! His origin has been tweaked, literally a half dozen times between the 1986 reboot and today.

I really want to believe that if Marvel ever did get Superman they'd roll out the red carpet for him. They'd have enough respect to NOT treat the first superhero like a "jabroni".....right?

I was talking to Doug Moench (long time Batman Author) the other day about the renumbering. He was telling me that when he left Marvel at one point for DC he was talking with his editor about sales figures. They were really happy that Batman's sales increased after he got the book and he said something back about that it's crazy that an A-list character like Batman sold less than Moonkight did for Marvel (who is maybe a C-list character or possibly a D-lister), and who Doug had previously been writing for before switching brands. The editor told him that the Classic Books like Superman and Batman did not sell well because of the numbering. Fans couldn't get all the back issues and that kept them from buying the books. Doug suggested that they just start over with the numbering if that is what was keeping the sales low. The editor was shocked and appalled that Doug would suggest throwing away that much history. He also brought up the fact that they love their high numbers so much that they forced all the writers to create the One Millionth issue of the book they where writing at the time... "Ha, they'll never get to Action Comic One Million if they start over with the numbering" Doug shouted.

Just a couple of things I want to address: first of all I pray to God Supes doesn't go to Marvel not because how Marvel will treat him or anything but it just wouldn't work in the Marvel Universe neither the company or the character will benefit from it leave the character in the company that it belongs to. Second even though the big reboot is a bad move for longtime DC fans I'm willing to give it a chance, they gave me a list of books in my lcs to order and I checked all the Green Lantern books and Aquaman because I found him interesting in Brightest Day and Flash since I'm always been a fan of Barry Allen since the live action Flash series; also from what I read the JL #1 was well received. Third, I'm a metal head no other music really does it for me, with that in mind Metallica was great band the first 4 albums then they sold out and their music sucked big time, in that aspect Megadeth has always been superior since they remain who they are/were even though Metallica was more successful but for me it always has been Iron Maiden that's my go to metal band. Anyway carry on with the reboot.

Oof! In my infinite generosity, I gave the new Justice League a shot.

This thing was obnoxious.

The whole issue delivers a sliver of a story fragment. Batman, who is inexplicable sullen and rude throughout the issue, meets Green Lantern who is written like an arrogant idiot. This immediately feels like a continuation of the God awful All-Star Batman more than anything particularly new and fresh. So Batman meets a super-powered flying guy who just created a fire engine out of thin air and he responds by being dismissive, snarky and for no reason whatsoever other than to antagonize this very powerful individual he just met, he steals GL's ring right off his finger. Yeah... as if THAT could happen... but then of course, this is a very stupid Hal Jordan we're being served here. Clearly this is one of those "Batman can do it because he's so badass!" moments.

Then we get some brilliant detective work from GL who assumes "Hey! We're chasing an alien! Maybe this has something to do with that alien in Metropolis, Superman!" The actual dialogue is so infantile it's not too far removed from my summation here.

The scene changes and we're introduced to Vic Stone, the young man who will become Cyborg. In this arc, we're going to be introduced to the members of the Justice League, they're going to meet each other, form the League, meet Darkseid, and fight him. That's plenty for a six issue arc without bogging it down with the origin of Cyborg. In addition to all I just laid out, this story is now going to have to crowbar in Vic Stone's accident, transformation, trauma and reactions, his meeting the League, and his joining. My guess is that this story will continue to drag four four or five issues and then rush to a speedy and unsatisfying conclusion.

The last scene of the book has Green Lantern once again acting stupidly and out of character (unless in the DCnU, Hal Jordan is simply as ##$%$#ed as the children this mess is aimed at) ready to pick a fight with Superman. Superman of course responds by attacking GL and Batman and delivering more snarkiness and arrogance.

Next issues promises a fight between Batman and Superman. No doubt Batman will beat up Superman because... well, he's just so badass!

JLA #1 is till in my pull bag and I'm still on the fence about buying it.

I saw Hawk and Dove #1 today and passed thinking, "Rob Liefeld, no way!" then I adjusted my thinking and thought, "How could I NOT look this through?"

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhh.... @puke@

Metallica was great band the first 4 albums then they sold out and their music sucked big time, in that aspect Megadeth has always been superior since they remain who they are/were even though Metallica was more successful.

I couldn't agree more. Megadeth's "Killing is My Business" alone, destroys Metallica's whole catalogue... And Mustaine wasnt even warmed up yet... Also Megadeth were already shredding at "Wally West Flash speed" before even Slayer started going mach 20... In my opinion Dave was the nucleus of the original bad ass Metallica-- when he was kicked out, the band's main talent and essence went with him... Whatever was left in Metallica, died with Burton...

The whole issue delivers a sliver of a story fragment. Batman, who is inexplicable sullen and rude throughout the issue, meets Green Lantern who is written like an arrogant idiot. This immediately feels like a continuation of the God awful All-Star Batman more than anything particularly new and fresh. So Batman meets a super-powered flying guy who just created a fire engine out of thin air and he responds by being dismissive, snarky and for no reason whatsoever other than to antagonize this very powerful individual he just met, he steals GL's ring right off his finger. Yeah... as if THAT could happen... but then of course, this is a very stupid Hal Jordan we're being served here. Clearly this is one of those "Batman can do it because he's so badass!" moments.

And here we go with the bullsht... I know how you must feel MJ... It seems that all roads will lead back to the Bat-Cave, even in the new shtty DCU.... Most of you guys already know how I feel, about how the Batman is always being portrayed as the ""DC Messiah"... even more so than Superman... I understand that Bruce has issues, and that he's the "dark and mysterious" one... But "dark and mysterious" doesn't always have to equal pompous prick... That's what the suits at DC don't seem to understand, or choose not to understand...

Tune in next month when its discovered in the DCnU-- that the Batman is so "bad ass", that his sweat can cure all forms of herpes...and his fecal matter contains raw kryptonite... For Superman's sake, I hope that Bruce never farts in his direction...

Must be the tiger blood, and Adonis DNA... But I strongly believe that its the shtty decision-making instead...

I didn't think the new Justice League was great but it wasn't horrible either. I'm a big Jim Lee fan and dig Geoff Johns' Green Lantern books so I have hope for it. However, I flipped through the new Detective Comics, Swamp Thing and Action Comics and they all seemed pretty bland. I don't think the New 52 is going to do sales or critical wonders for DC. I have confidence that the new GL books ESPECIALLY Red Lanterns will be worth checking out if they aren't changing the continuity much.

Also as a side note... In their primes I slightly give the edge to Metallica. Love the 1st three albums like nobody's business. Megadeth rules though and So Far So Good So What and RUST IN PEACE are two masterpieces in their own right!

I'm not picking any of these up, but I did notice something in the comic shop today. My LCS barely ordered any of these. Oh, they got all the titles in, but except for maybe Action and Detective, they didn't have more then 5 copies of each title. Despite DC aggresively advocating OVER-Orders with the caveat that the first few issues would be returnable. And a buddy of mine in a different area said his Comic Guy couldn't set some issues aside because he hadn't ordered enough to do so. So I'm trying to get a gauge from all over the country. Did your Local Comics Shop err on the side of caution and under order most of these titles? When you're in the shop buying your books over the next couple weeks, check to see how many copies of each 52 title are on the rack. I don't need exact counts, but y'know guesstimate relative to the other titles from Marvel, Image, IDW, etc. I'd like to know. I think it will be interesting to get a real time feel on whether this thing is successful or not.

My shop didn't even order Hawk and Dove. Now granted I did get there late today so I guess it's POSSIBLE that they sold out of that over Action, Swamp Thing, and Detective....what am I saying, it's NOT possible. They didn't order Hawk and Dove.

I must admit that I am so desperate to see Superman done in a fresh and interesting way, I almost want to check out Action to see if THIS is the time they do it. Anyone read this one yet? I skimmed through the pages, looked if-y.

(On the other side of the aile, I was planning on possibly using this time to up my Marvel reading, until I took a closer look at the Captain America #2 I bought last week. Minus two pages of story, STILL FOUR DOLLARS !?!?!?! How can an industry survive by saying F-you to its fans so often?)

I must admit that I am so desperate to see Superman done in a fresh and interesting way, I almost want to check out Action to see if THIS is the time they do it. Anyone read this one yet? I skimmed through the pages, looked if-y.

(On the other side of the aile, I was planning on possibly using this time to up my Marvel reading, until I took a closer look at the Captain America #2 I bought last week. Minus two pages of story, STILL FOUR DOLLARS !?!?!?! How can an industry survive by saying F-you to its fans so often?)

My biggest gripe about Superman is that in Action Comics he's just a little too Peter Parker-ish. The overall feel is similar to the Ultimates Universe in Marvel books.

I feel your pain on the cost of comics. Captain America is just a little too much... but the story got a little more interesting in #2 so I may stick with it. I'm also sticking with Swamp Thing.

My biggest gripe about Superman is that in Action Comics he's just a little too Peter Parker-ish. The overall feel is similar to the Ultimates Universe in Marvel books.

Thats how i have been putting it since i started reading Flashpoint.

I've read that she was still crippled, but she regained the ability to walk again.

In the book, she mentions being shot by the Joker and crippled for 3 years. Then a "miracle" happened and now she can walk again.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info, guys.

I wonder what the miracle is/was.

I didn't really care for Barbara Gordon's Batgirl but I did like the new Justice League#1. I guess some stories are better off starting fresh.

Action Comics#1

AC#1 was ok for me. I liked the story. I feel like it's Grant Morrison's writing style to start with a big bang with characters all over the place and slowly develop the character's back story and make sense to the story. The only complain is the stupid look they went for. "Superman" is wearing pants, shoes and a blue T shirt but also a red cape? I felt like it would have been a lot better if he lose the cape or just went with a red jacket like Smallville.

Swampthing#1

Interesting first issue considering the book is called Swampthing but #1 is mainly about Alec Holland back in the living. It used to be about Swampthing thinking that he is Alec Holland because Holland's memories were absorbed into Swampthing but now that Alec is back to life again he remembers memories of Swampthing instead. It's definitely an interesting title considering it's been a long time since Swampie got an ongoing series or any cameo or guest appearance at all pre-Blackest Night.

Detective Comics#1

It was ok. I didn't hate it nor felt it was anything great. The last 2 pages did felt like a interesting twist regarding Joker. It was the main reason why I picked up this book while I was flipping through it in the comic store.

Animal Man#1

Bought it, haven't read it yet altho I heard some good things about it so far.

Other titles I'm planning to pick up: Catwoman#1, DC Comics Presents #1, maybe Batman#1.