DC Comics: The Big Reboot

cjflan32

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

I'm surprised no one brought this up yet in the DC Forum, though that might say something about the amount of comics people read today.

This doesn't seem like a great idea to me and to me shows a lack of creativity at DC HQ.

You'll also note in the article that these comics will be made available in digital format. A sign of the times I suppose.

Discuss.

I read Marvel through the end of Siege and DC through Blackest Night.

With Siege I thought this was the perfect ending and I could be happy never reading another Marvel comic again.

Blackest Night, in my opinion, was awful and I said to myself I should've stopped reading DC after Infinite Crisis. But I digress.

It looks obvious that I made the right decision. If I read the story right this reboot is replacing the mainstream DC Universe. I don't think this is going to go over well.

I saw this on comicvine and it disgusts me first Marvel reboots Spiderman and makes the whole thing worse and now DC's rebooting their universe and making it worse goddamnit all writers can do nowadays is reboot why even bother writing anything in the first place just going to be rebooted later on

Didn't they just do this with the last infinite crisis? I loved Sinestro corps war and now i'm collecting the dc universe online comics, it feels great with the game. Funny I prefer the dc cartoons way more than Marvel but I only slightly like marvel comics better and now with Green Lantern coming and with Znyder doing Superman I might shift my movie likes to DC.

This relaunch is a GREAT jumping OFF point for readers. With the economy the way it is, this gives the long time fans - who have been scrimping, scraping, and checking under the couch cushions for coins - a reason to quit.

DC dropping their prices was commendable, but it's not enough to keep the loyalty of many of my friends, nor myself.

Make mine Marvel.

I will truly miss Batman, Damian, and the rest of the Batfamily, though.

I've seen a bunch of parodies using that clip, but that was absolutely one of the best. HILARIOUS !!!

Sigh...

It just sucks. I was gonna write an essay about how much I think this sucks, but why bother?

Can't wait for all the origin stories. Because lest we forget: Superman was rocketed to Earth to escape a doomed planet...

All I can say is I've been enjoying the hell out of the Batman books lately with Dick Grayson front and center. Any chance of this continuing with this latest reboot? Don't make me laugh. Back to status quo.

• Like 1

I seen this news yesterday and was too ashamed to post it.You can tell I don't like the idea

Same here. I started to make a topic and then didn't.

Like SCI-FI said, it's a great Jumping OFF point. I will treasure my final issues of Batgirl, Secret Six, Jonha Hex, and mostly Detective Comics. *sniffle*

The Hitler thing is GREAT! #US1#

My dad actually called me Tuesday night to break the horrible news to me. I guess I'll wait and see exactly how much they're changing, but yeah. It sucks.

What I find kind of amusing is that after Jim Lee failed miserably to reboot the Marvel Universe in 1996, DC is letting him do it to their own universe. Brilliant!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to make that comparison, but still, that was my first thought when I read the article.

Just reading up on this a little more: SOME origins will be change? Some won't? They'll all be younger?

Yeah, this might just be a great jumping off point.

Hellboy, BPRD, and GI Joe ARAH. Down to a total of $10.50 a month on comics. Maybe this won't be such a bad thing....

Okay seriously, you guys can call this relaunch a lame idea, yet praise Damian "Robin" Wayne and Dick "Batman" Grayson in the same breath.

Yes we can. Because we've been reading the Batman comics for years and they've been really awesome lately and we will be sad when Dick becomes 12 years old again.

Okay seriously, you guys can call this relaunch a lame idea, yet praise Damian "Robin" Wayne and Dick "Batman" Grayson in the same breath.

I can. Easily.

I don't know if you've read them, but Batman is awesome right now. A new, fresh take on the hole franchise with ALL character GROWING and taking on new rolls.

Soon to be moot....

Kind of like when Peter Parker revealed that he was Spider-Man to the world, then crappy editorial decisions just kind of made it go away.

• Like 1

Just reading up on this a little more: SOME origins will be change? Some won't? They'll all be younger?

See? It'll make things simpler and easier to understand!

I seen this news yesterday and was too ashamed to post it.You can tell I don't like the idea

Same here. I started to make a topic and then didn't.

Like SCI-FI said, it's a great Jumping OFF point. I will treasure my final issues of Batgirl, Secret Six, Jonha Hex, and mostly Detective Comics. *sniffle*

The Hitler thing is GREAT! #US1#

Yeah its the only time you will see me agreeing with Der Fuhror

Both Marvel and DC should be more concentrating more on their core readers than trying to amass a new one.

Even with all the new superhero movies, the younger generations just aren't as interested in comic books unless the parents get them into it. The youth are too tech oriented.

Sure, I know that's why their releasing digital copies the same day as the paper books are released. I understand they're trying to make a jumping on point for the youth, but it just isn't going to work. If they're afraid the younger gen will be lost because they don't know about the decades of continuity, well, that's what wikipedia and the http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page are for.

I think that they can relaunch all their books if they choose but they should keep the numbering on there older books they way they are. Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Wonder Woman and Adventure Comics should stay with their original numbering for historical reasons.

As for the changing of the characters part, I'll take the wait and see role till I see what they actually do.

Well I haven't read a comic book in a very long long time. The last DC comice I read was when Kyle Became the new Green Lantern and he had to face Dessad for the first time. As for Marvel it was the Trail of Gambit. So that tells you how long send I read a comice from both comps.

I saw this on comicvine and it disgusts me first Marvel reboots Spiderman and makes the whole thing worse and now DC's rebooting their universe and making it worse goddamnit all writers can do nowadays is reboot why even bother writing anything in the first place just going to be rebooted later on

Yes I totally agree. But actually it's not why bother "writing", it's why bother "reading"!

How am I supposed to enjoy characters whose continuity is constantly being retooled, rebooted, or just flat out rejected?

I still can't figure out pre crisis and post crisis stories from 1986. It seems that depending on the writer some pre-86 stuff still happened and then sometimes not.

Successful heroes have no need to be rebooted, and if the heroes are not successful then either let them be, find a new direction that fits with continuity or just kill em off and create new charachters.

regards

the champ

PS- Green Lantern's gattling gun is rediculously phallic in the Jim Lee group shot pic

Well I haven't read a comic book in a very long long time. The last DC comice I read was when Kyle Became the new Green Lantern and he had to face Dessad for the first time. As for Marvel it was the Trail of Gambit. So that tells you how long send I read a comice from both comps.

The last DC book I picked up was the end of the Jim Lee Batman stint I think Batman 618 or 619. That was the end for me although I had stopped reading consistently since the Contagion storyline, and that earthquake storyline that went on for years.

I've passed by the newsstand and flip through some of the new stuff every once in awhile. I like Tim transitioning into a new character and Grayson assuming the role of Batman. I don't understand the Damien thing, mainly b/c i'm not clear on if its the same baby from the elseworld's story (which I thought had a different name).

I stopped reading because the story/art became obviously packaged to tpb's. It seemed like every 12 issues or so was a completely new take on the character anyway with out any story even loosely connected in continuity.

I stopped reading Marvel after they ended Amazing Spiderman and rebooted. That and completely messing up Wolverine for me with the Origins miniseries.

Not that there haven't been good stories here and then, it's just, what's the point if it's going to be erased and rebooted?