Micheal Keaton Looks Back On Batman

Wheeljack35

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GulfCoastAvengers/news/?a=37214

Micheal Keaton talks about the pressure, uncertainty and risk involved in filming Batman.

With today's generation growing up on Christopher Nolan's version of Batman, it's easy to forget that it wasn't so very long ago that our best on screen adaptation was a campy Adam West running around in leotards. If you weren't there waiting for something better to come along, I think it is even more difficult to remember just how "modern" and "fresh" Tim Burton's Batman was for it's time.

L.A.Times Hero Complex was lucky enough to speak with Michael Keaton recently and get his thoughts looking back on Batman all these years later.

“It was me in London, alone, and my sleep during that whole movie was never right. As often as I could, I was getting on the Concorde and trying to get back to spend some time with my kid.”

It was an extremely difficult undertaking and Tim is a shy guy, especially back then, and there was so much pressure. We were in England for a long time shooting at Pinewood and it was long, difficult nights in that dank, dark, cold place, and we never knew if it was really working. There was no guarantee that any of this was going to play correctly when it was all said and done. There had never been a movie like it before. There was a lot of risk, too, with Jack looking the way he did and me stepping out in this new way. The pressure was on everybody. You could feel it.”

“We’re standing there at one point, I’m in my bat suit, Jack is in Joker get-up and I just looked at him and said, ‘We’re grown men, right?’”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GulfCoastAvengers/news/?a=37214

Were standing there at one point, Im in my bat suit, Jack is in Joker get-up and I just looked at him and said, Were grown men, right?

And then he did a movie where he's a snowman.....

I'm surprised to see a new interview with Michael Keaton about his Batman film. But there's nothing much that haven't been said.

For anyone that wasn't a big enough fan to sit through all those interviews and documentaries. Batman was one of those big budget films for the 90s. There was just so many coverage of the film that Tim Burton decided to shoot the movie in London to get away from the noise. It wasn't an easy task, the script went over a couple of rewrites and back then Burton was still young and the producers made a lot of changes to the script, ie: more Joker screen time, the church ending because Jon Peters watched Phantom of the Opera.

Back then it was a really silly idea to have a comic book adaptation. And then with a big budget movie shot in a studio and two actors dressing up as comic book characters, I believe Keaton felt it was very surreal. Afterall it's like kids playing Halloween but in a money making scale.

They also only had 1 year of production I believe, and that's a short time, a lot of things were rushed. They didn't have time to perfect the Batsuit,etc.

I love the fact that I found out about this Batman movie from watching a trailer in the theater 6 months before the release date. No leaked scripts, no first images and casting news. Just sitting in the dark thinking "No it can't be....What a long wait it was till summer. I wound up seeing this flick about 8 or 9 times that year.

I think of those first Batman movies as sort of pioneers for the modern super hero movie. Pretty darn good for the time. Much better than the joke that was the Adam West Batman movie.

And yes, not having the internet to spoil things is definately something to be missed.

I remember seeing the trailer for it in the theatre and being incredibly hyped to see the movie.

Unfortunetly, I received orders for Germany and shipped out mere weeks before it premiered...I missed the whole Batman summer that year.

I didn't see it to a year later....

I really loved it as a kid, I remember my parents going to see it and I cried and whined and pouted because I wasn't allowed to go, it's one of my earliest memories so I was probably about 4 or so. But when it finally came out on video I got it that Christmas and man, I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. Joker scared the heck out of me and Batman was the greatest hero ever! Truely an amazing experience as a kid. Keaton can play any role he wants to, but when I see him, I still see Batman!

Keaton can play any role he wants to, but when I see him, I still see Batman!

Mr. Mom, Gung Ho, Dream Team, Working Stiffs, Johnny Dangerously; I was a die-hard Keaton fan before I ever heard they were doing a batmovie. I probably would've liked it anyway, but to find out he was in it, just sealed the deal.

Batman was my first Keaton movie, and he has been typecast in my brain ever since...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I heard that at some point before TDK came out, Christian Bale was eating at some restaurant and he found out that Michael Keaton was eating there at the same time too, so Bale sent him over a bottle of champaign and a note that said something like "To the original Batman"... anyone ever hear that?

Keaton can play any role he wants to, but when I see him, I still see Batman!

Mr. Mom, Gung Ho, Dream Team, Working Stiffs, Johnny Dangerously; I was a die-hard Keaton fan before I ever heard they were doing a batmovie. I probably would've liked it anyway, but to find out he was in it, just sealed the deal.

His strangest one being Beetlejuice...

this was my first movie ever in a theater. this movie is so awesome. you know what, i would love to see another batman from burton right now. he should have his batman trilogy. i prefer the burton movies because the fantasy isn't lost in them. nolan does a great job but burton got it right. batman returns was simply perfect to me. what would the reaction be if burton and keaton would do another one right now??? sad that we will never find it out.

batman returns was simply perfect to me.

WHAT??????????????

I agree, in a sense. Maybe not people's ideal version of Batman, but one hell of a film and character study.

DaVito and Pfeiffer did an amazing job... I wouldnt say the film was perfect but its pretty damn good...

WHAT??????????????

I agree, in a sense. Maybe not people's ideal version of Batman, but one hell of a film and character study.

Man, that second Batman is totally lost to me, there is nothing about it I like. I found the entire look and feel of the film wayyy too offbeat and silly to me. I know a lot of people who like the second movie, but it seems like its too much of an Elseworld's tale than a simple Batman flick. I find it equally as vile as the third and fourth movies.

WHAT??????????????

DaVito and Pfeiffer did an amazing job... I wouldnt say the film was perfect but its pretty damn good...

Those two actors are good but the film is such trash (to me) that it almost invalidates the good performances. Michelle was good as Catwoman but I don't like how she became Catwoman, it was something like a Spiderman villain origin. Penguin was gross, I prefer the gangster Penguin to that abomination from the film.

It's like if everything good about the first was a 10 and then they took it to 12, those two extra points were too much, the two straw to break the camels back.

The first film is still brilliant, watched it recently and fell in love again. My new favorite scene is when Jack meets with the bosses and the guy says, "what's with the stupid grin" and Jack in all his amazing talented self looks up and says, "life's been good to me"...............MAN I FELL OUT MY SEAT LAUGHING, it was perfect, perfect, perfect.

I also really liked Batman Returns. Though I watched it recently and some of the dialogue was pretty cheesy. Almost on the level of the first Spider-Man film. Burton doesn't always hit it directly on the mark, but I love looking at his movies. They're all visually amazing.

I remember a very gracious review of Batman and Robin, saying it wasn't great, but better than Batman Returns. Uuuuhhhhh....yeah, not even close.