Thor Movie

spidersam

Apparently Thor's opening weekend isn't as good as people expected. It grossed 66 million which is far from bad, but they were comparing it to Fast Five and some other comic based movies. I think that a second movie would be a higher grossing flick.

I think Thor set the new standard in comic based movies, in that even without a emotional impact for the characters it still is a good enjoyable movie. Thor really should be the worst it can get, no movie should sink lower than Thor. It's not as good as the greats but better than some of those other crazy ones. IMO Thor ranks a little better than the Fantastic Four movies.

I don't expect much from Captain America though, considering Thor didn't make as big an impact I would be surprised if CA makes significantly less, I just don't see Captain America grossing that much.

• Like 2

Apparently Thor's opening weekend isn't as good as people expected. It grossed 66 million which is far from bad, but they were comparing it to Fast Five and some other comic based movies. I think that a second movie would be a higher grossing flick.

I think Thor set the new standard in comic based movies, in that even without a emotional impact for the characters it still is a good enjoyable movie. Thor really should be the worst it can get, no movie should sink lower than Thor. It's not as good as the greats but better than some of those other crazy ones. IMO Thor ranks a little better than the Fantastic Four movies.

I don't expect much from Captain America though, considering Thor didn't make as big an impact I would be surprised if CA makes significantly less, I just don't see Captain America grossing that much.

I disagree... Cap is a well known hero... Nobody really knows who Thor is outside of the comic world... Honestly I didnt even think they make a Thor movie but rather just introduce him in the Avengers... I am glad the pulled it off though...

Why are they comparing it to Fast Five?... That franchise had been around for a long time...

Nguyen, Fast Five had a huge weekend the week before, that's why there's a comparison.

I don't know the answer as to why Thor had one of the lesser openings for a comic book film. Maybe people thought it would be a crappy "viking movie" or something like that. Personally I think people are getting sick of super hero films. This has been going non stop for 11 years now.

Anyway, Thor could have made $20 million. Doesn't change the fact that it's a great movie. I'm sure there are people that thought it was garbage but like YJB said those are probably the people who cried about the race of characters and the choice of costumes.

And Cap? I gotta tell you, I'm concerned. There's always that anti-American tinge in films these days but more importantly there's nothing in the trailer that wows me.

Nguyen, Fast Five had a huge weekend the week before, that's why there's a comparison.

I don't know the answer as to why Thor had one of the lesser openings for a comic book film. Maybe people thought it would be a crappy "viking movie" or something like that. Personally I think people are getting sick of super hero films. This has been going non stop for 11 years now.

Anyway, Thor could have made $20 million. Doesn't change the fact that it's a great movie. I'm sure there are people that thought it was garbage but like YJB said those are probably the people who cried about the race of characters and the choice of costumes.

And Cap? I gotta tell you, I'm concerned. There's always that anti-American tinge in films these days but more importantly there's nothing in the trailer that wows me.

Yep, I didn't see THor in the theatres b/c of the costume and messing with characters. I also won't be seeing the Cap and Green Lantern movies either.

I am curious about them though, so i'll probably wait till it's on netflix. I'm only interested because it's tied to the ironman storyline w/shield, otherwise couldn't care less.

I meant in the sense of how they can compare a successful franchise (movies are crap but they do bring in the money) to an unknown comic book hero...

Yep, I didn't see THor in the theatres b/c of the costume and messing with characters. I also won't be seeing the Cap and Green Lantern movies either.

I am curious about them though, so i'll probably wait till it's on netflix. I'm only interested because it's tied to the ironman storyline w/shield, otherwise couldn't care less.

You might as well give up on comic movies... I doubt we will ever see one that is 100% true to the comics... Personally I am fine as long as the costume looks good... I do agree they should respect the original story for the characters though...

I disagree... Cap is a well known hero... Nobody really knows who Thor is outside of the comic world... Honestly I didnt even think they make a Thor movie but rather just introduce him in the Avengers... I am glad the pulled it off though...

Why are they comparing it to Fast Five?... That franchise had been around for a long time...

Cap is well known but not on the level of Superman, Batman, Hulk or Spiderman. Heck at this point the general populace knows Catwoman, Storm and Wolverine more than they know Captain America.

• Like 1

Well, if I recall, we had a conversation where you said you wouldn't mind Batman carrying a gun and killing people. So clearly you know a lot about these classic characters.

I'm glad you didn't go see it. Why don't you go hang out with the other anal retentive comic book fans that give the rest of us a bad name and commiserate about how every single one of these films sucks because they're not made the way you want them to be made. The rest of us will enjoy talking about this great movie and the hopefully just-as-great Cap film.

• Like 1

You might as well give up on comic movies... I doubt we will ever see one that is 100% true to the comics... Personally I am fine as long as the costume looks good... I do agree they should respect the original story for the characters though...

lol What would they complain about then? Seriously, let's re-write Thor so that he has the alter ego of a disabled med student and see where that goes.

With that said, you gotta love the words of "the champ" over there. "I'm not going to see it because it's not comic book accurate but I'll watch it when it comes out on Netflix because it ties in with Iron Man which I liked but isn't comic book accurate either." Thanks for the laugh Flounnderr.

• Like 1

I guess because I am not that deep a Marvel fan the costume change for Thor didn't bother me. The only thing I would of liked to see was in the final battle for him to of worn the helmet, he should of worn the helmet in battle against Loki in his outfit.

*funny Thor died in his first movie appearance, and now that I think of it, it was really cheap the way he died and then came back, that was a weak story plot and a cheap moment*

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but $242 Million dollars worldwide in just 4 days is pretty damn good for an opening. The movie was great. I find it to be far superior then the garbage that it was FF, DD and Ghost Rider. It doesn't come close to IM and IM2 but it served it's purpose (introduce him to the avengers movie) and surpassed most expectations (great reviews all around). I think Cap will do just as good if not better.

I'm sorry, but $242 Million dollars worldwide in just 4 days is pretty damn good for an opening. The movie was great. I find it to be far superior then the garbage that it was FF, DD and Ghost Rider. It doesn't come close to IM and IM2 but it served it's purpose (introduce him to the avengers movie) and surpassed most expectations (great reviews all around). I think Cap will do just as good if not better.

Movie reviews about the weekend gross in the states aren saying it wasn't a good opener, not me. They mentioend but didn't include the tally from worldwide sales. Apparently studios expect movies like this to exceed the cost of the fim in ticket sales in the states to be considered a success. Superman Returns grossed 200 million in the states but is considered a failure because that was the equal cost of making the film. If Thor doesn't fross 150 million in the US alone to equal the cost of making the film it will be considered a failure, for some reason the total tally is and isn't important when labeling the film a success. In total SR grossed almost 400 million but is still considered a failure.

This is going to be interesting because Superman Returns grossed 84.2 million during a five day run, I wonder if Thor will match or exceed that considering that word of mouth killed SR.

• Like 2

I thought THOR was an awesome movie .I took my cousins which are 10 and 13 yr old boys and they loved it also. I'm not as overly critical as some people are of comic based movies because I know all the hard work that goes into making any film. I'm glad that we're getting treated to big budget comic movies. By Odin's Beard! haha

I think a lot of the hard core, "purist" fans out there confuse the terms BASED ON and COPY.

ALL of these movies are BASED on the Marvel comics characters, are BASED on the DC comics characters. Some people, it seems will settle for nothing less than a 100% COPY of the very first stories they ever read when they were kids. That ain't never gonna happen, for numerous reasons.

Even Harry Potter movies could not copy the source material 100%. Plot points were left out, characters looked slightly different. Those movies were BASED on the novels, and those movies were STILL Harry Potter.

To each their own. If you're skipping Thor because you don't see enough of his helmet I'm not going to try and change your mind. All I can say is "too bad", you're missing good superhero action.

• Like 3

*funny Thor died in his first movie appearance, and now that I think of it, it was really cheap the way he died and then came back, that was a weak story plot and a cheap moment*

Sorry, but no sale on that one. Not even close.

Thor was human when he took on Destroyer. He knew there was no chance he would beat it but he still did all he can to try to stop it. That's a hero. It showed the growth from the way he was at the start of the movie to the end. Those actions, laying down his life, made him "worthy" and was resurrected with the power of the hammer. Not cheap at all , IMO.

In fact, to me Thor was just kinda "Meh" until I saw this movie. Now I like him more!

If you want to talk, "Cheap" moments in super hero moves, then I'm sorry because I gotta call out the endings to the Donner Superman movies. If your hero makes a choice he doesn't like, or something really bad happens that he can't live with, and all he has to do is fly really fast to turn back time and fix it so that it "never happens" (TWICE!!!) how is that not a cop out? How will that hero ever have to deal with death, loss or consequences? This is coming from a Superman fan and someone who actually LIKES 99% of those Supes movies!

• Like 5

YOJOEBRO82

[sorry, but no sale on that one. Not even close.

Thor was human when he took on Destroyer. He knew there was no chance he would beat it but he still did all he can to try to stop it. That's a hero. It showed the growth from the way he was at the start of the movie to the end. Those actions, laying down his life, made him "worthy" and was resurrected with the power of the hammer. Not cheap at all , IMO.

I AGREE. :)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the movie, and I'm not a fan of Thor in the comics.

I liked this as much as IRON MAN 2, but not as much as the first IRON MAN movie.

Wish the Frost Giants were more giant-ier.

During the scene, in which, Loki and Odin were arguing and Odin collapses on the stairs into the Odinsleep, my wife, who knows nothing of Thor - other than what I've mentioned about him being on the Avengers team - gasped and said, "Oh no." So, she got into the it and felt for some of the characters.

It was a little predictable, but not in a bad way. I knew Thor wouldn't be able to pick up Mjolnir the first time on Earth, and I knew he would sacrifice himself to save the Earth, which proved he was worthy of Mjolnir.

I really like the new adventures of old Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson. He steals the scenes, in which, he performs.

• Like 1

Sorry, but no sale on that one. Not even close.

In fact, to me Thor was just kinda "Meh" until I saw this movie. Now I like him more!

If you want to talk, "Cheap" moments in super hero moves, then I'm sorry because I gotta call out the endings to the Donner Superman movies. If your hero makes a choice he doesn't like, or something really bad happens that he can't live with, and all he has to do is fly really fast to turn back time and fix it so that it "never happens" (TWICE!!!) how is that not a cop out? How will that hero ever have to deal with death, loss or consequences? This is coming from a Superman fan and someone who actually LIKES 99% of those Supes movies!

Thor was a cheap move, his tiny sacrifice wasn't all that amazing imo. It was a cheap move to make him worthy and his little act wasn't all that worthy either...it was a little cheap. The ending to the Donner movies was a little cheap too, but that doesn't invalidate the Thor situation. Also you are far from a huge Superman fan. I don't have a defense for what Superman has done in the movies because it was a cheap act. It's more so cool that Superman could do that and its decent visually.

Also I ask the question, what would you do if you could. If you could change the past would you, hell yeah you would. If anything it made Superman more brutally honest as a person and what they would do with the power they have..........if you could reverse time to save a girlfriend and/or wife would you not, heck yeah you would. It's a selfish act against nature and the situation but its a very REAL move to do. What would you honestly do........

• Like 2

Also you are far from a huge Superman fan.

LOL at this!

I guess for all those hundreds of times I laid down money for a Superman comic, almost weekly since the early 90s, I've had a gun to my head each time. And that shelf I have to display my Superman hardcovers, TPBs, a statue, and 9 seasons of Smallville....well, I don't even know how that GOT there.

Come on now, man :)

Superman is WORST when creators make him TOO powerful...I think everyone will agree. Where is the drama when your hero can do ANYTHING? Superman himself will be the first to tell people he's not a god. But when he's super strong, invulnerable, can fly, AND use his powers to resurrect people from the dead! what would you call him?

Those endings were weak.

That's as far off topic as I'll go.

As for Thor's "tiny" sacrifice, I don't know. I always thought laying down your life is what people were talking about when they make reference to "paying the ULTIMATE price". That doesn't seem too tiny to me. Maybe "paying the ultimate price" means to buy a tank of gas....

#US1#

• Like 4

Also you are far from a huge Superman fan.

LOL at this!

I guess for all those hundreds of times I laid down money for a Superman comic, almost weekly since the early 90s, I've had a gun to my head each time. And that shelf I have to display my Superman hardcovers, TPBs, a statue, and 9 seasons of Smallville....well, I don't even know how that GOT there.

Come on now, man :)

Superman is WORST when creators make him TOO powerful...I think everyone will agree. Where is the drama when your hero can do ANYTHING? Superman himself will be the first to tell people he's not a god. But when he's super strong, invulnerable, can fly, AND use his powers to resurrect people from the dead! what would you call him?

Those endings were weak.

As for Thor's "tiny" sacrifice, I don't know. I always thought laying down your life is what people were talking about when they make reference to "paying the ULTIMATE price". That doesn't seem too tiny to me. Maybe "paying the ultimate price" means to buy a tank of gas....

#US1#

On a separate issue -- for the two little punks on this forum running and giving me a negative makes them a coward. I am going to call it out. They are a bunch of whinny people with an inablity to cope on the most mundane level, does it really mean that much to you? Of all the offensive things that could be said and done in a day does my comment about Supes and Thor really matter?....whoever the both of you are, you two are a bunch of losers.........negative away, LOSER!!!

Anyway, back to the "yojoebro"

Having all nine seasons of Smallville certifies you as NOT being a true Superman fan, with that collection of absurd storytelling and nonsense. @smilepunch@

Of course no hero is fun without a certain level of threat, it is what makes the drama and when Supes is too powerful then it is weak and boring. Anyway back to the movie, Superman reversing time was a cheap move, again I like it for the visual effect and the potential for power but in the comics many other heroes and villians have displayed this level of power yet Superman is the one who gets trampled by it due to one appearance in a movie, yet in Marvel books they rewrite history at the drop of a dime. I am not saying I didn't like the scene in Thor but that the whole situation appeared weak to me, weak from being a perfect doesn't always mean lame. To me it was felt forced but it isn't a big deal, just my thoughts. Superman turning time back at least made you feel the emotional impact of what and why he did what he did, they took you back to his father and how he felt about Lois. What Superman did was validated to some extent based on his dad. Then factor in what was built between him and Lois, did you not feel the emotion when he saw the car, or when he took her out of the car, when he stood silently over her, or when he screamed. The reason Thor felt cheap is because it didn't have that deep of an emotional impact. It's not that bad a scene, instead of saying "weak" I will say that it didn't have that much of an emotional impact to me. Either way it was a small deal for a an otherwise very decent movie.

• Like 1

It's nice to know you can be away for two days in a Thor thread and certain members are deciding who's a true Superman fan and who isn't.

I love how YJB talks about his hardcovers and his statues and the one thing that gets singled out is his Smallville collection, which according to the newly invented Super Fan-O-Meter automatically kicks YJB out of the Superman Fan Club.

Next thing you know that member will be complaining about his rating again (even though he's on record saying he "doesn't care about it" and considers negatives a "badge of honor") and blaming everyone except himself for derailing yet another topic.

Oh. One down, one to go.

Well, if I recall, we had a conversation where you said you wouldn't mind Batman carrying a gun and killing people. So clearly you know a lot about these classic characters.

I'm glad you didn't go see it. Why don't you go hang out with the other anal retentive comic book fans that give the rest of us a bad name and commiserate about how every single one of these films sucks because they're not made the way you want them to be made. The rest of us will enjoy talking about this great movie and the hopefully just-as-great Cap film.

I don't mind Batman having a gun because he originally had a gun, and yeah he would throw gangsters off roofs once in a while.

You're right about the iron man movie, and I absolutely hated what they did with Nick Fury. But for me if the costume is terrible.. like thor, I don't feel like i'm watching a movie about thor, same for cap and green lantern.

THe only way to have done Iron Man "comic accurate" would've been to do a period piece b/c of communism, so i don't mind the changes. His costume has gone through countless redesigns so that's kinda hard to mess up.

I only chimed in b/c it was mentioned about people not seeing these movies for some of these reasons. I talked to Quesada about some of these things, and he's just convinced that the changes keep them relavent. I obviously disagree.

I will say that i have been liking those comic motion movies by Neal adams.

Well I had a feeling mentioning Smallville would just be used as amo against me. And I'm going to make Superpowers' day because that statue I mentioned? It's none other than the Brandon Routh Superman Returns version!

BAD Superman fan :)

001-10.jpg

PS. Anyone with a DCD Smallville Green Arrow to go next to my Clark, let me know!

PPS. sorry I lied about this:

:OT:

• Like 1

"I don't mind Batman having a gun because he originally had a gun, and yeah he would throw gangsters off roofs once in a while."

Yeah, 70 years ago. I guess you wouldn't mind seeing him going into space fighting Galactus either.

Murdering Space Alien Fighter Batman=Yes. Black Costume Batman=No.

"You're right about the iron man movie, and I absolutely hated what they did with Nick Fury. But for me if the costume is terrible.. like thor, I don't feel like i'm watching a movie about thor, same for cap and green lantern."

He has a red cape, giant hammer and big circles on his chest but because he left his helmet at home for most of the film, got sleeves and didn't wear the boots of a LARPing reject it's no good. That's really sad.

THe only way to have done Iron Man "comic accurate" would've been to do a period piece b/c of communism, so i don't mind the changes. His costume has gone through countless redesigns so that's kinda hard to mess up.

If you think the only comic continuity errors in IM are Afghans and a black Nick Fury then you should go back and read some Iron Man history.

"I only chimed in b/c it was mentioned about people not seeing these movies for some of these reasons. I talked to Quesada about some of these things, and he's just convinced that the changes keep them relavent. I obviously disagree."

That's the smartest thing Joe Quesada (I'm assuming that's who you're referring to) has ever said. This might come as a shock to you Flounnderr, but when you make a superhero film/show/whatever in the 21st Century, it's probably best to relate it to the 21st Century.