The Dark Knight Rises: Cotillard & Gordon-Levitt Confirmed

Wheeljack35

The Dark Knight Rises: Cotillard & Gordon-Levitt Confirmed

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/711996/the-dark-knight-rises-cotillard-gordon-levitt-confirmed/#ixzz1K5doJ7Xl

the-dark-knight-rises-cotillard-gordon-levitt-confirmed.jpg

After months of rumors, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard are now official for The Dark Knight Rises.

Confirmed in a Warner Bros. press release, news of their casting may come as little surprise to anyone following the progress of the upcoming third (likely final) film in director Christopher Nolan's Batman films. It appears that Nolan will indeed reunite with even more of his Inception cast members with the recruitment of this duo. However, the real news, is in what roles they will assume.

Contrary to the rampant speculation which had Gordon-Levitt and Cotillard in important villain roles such as Alberto Falcone or Talia al Ghul, respectively, it turns out that their parts are a bit more...let's just say innocuous than rumors would have things.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing a character named John Blake, who is described as "a Gotham City beat cop assigned to special duty under the command of Commissioner Gordon." The character, in all likelihood, is completely original to the film.

Yet, it's also noteworthy that there are rumblings that Blake was inspired by a vintage Batman comic strip, in which The Joker steals an A-laden report card from a small child named "Johnny Blake" in the streets, just for kicks, leaving him crying. (I'm chalking it up to a coincidence.)

Marion Cotillard will be playing Miranda Tate, a board member on Wayne Enterprises and possible romance for Bruce Wayne. According to the description, she will be "eager to help a still-grieving Bruce Wayne resume his father’s philanthropic endeavors for Gotham." Tate could very well find herself in a love triangle on the wrong side of Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle/Catwoman.

As director Christopher Nolan comments:

“When you collaborate with people as talented as Marion and Joe, it comes as no surprise that you would want to repeat the experience. I immediately thought of them for the roles of Miranda and Blake, and I am looking forward to working with both of them again.”

When rumors of the casting of these two were starting to look legit, the assumption was that the roles would be major. It spawned the idea of them playing even more villains in this already-villain-stacked film. (Especially with Gordon-Levitt's stock rising and Cotillard being an Oscar-winning actress.) However, it's looking more like these will be minor roles, filled as a favor for Nolan.

Therefore, it appears that the villains ticket has run its course with Anne Hathway's Catwoman and Tom Hardy's Bane, which, personally, is a relief. (That is, if you don't count Josh Pence as Ra's al Ghul in a flashback.)

The Dark Knight Rises is set to hit theaters on July 20, 2012.

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/711996/the-dark-knight-rises-cotillard-gordon-levitt-confirmed/#ixzz1K5etP3gM

Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing a character named John Blake, who is described as "a Gotham City beat cop assigned to special duty under the command of Commissioner Gordon." The character, in all likelihood, is completely original to the film.

Here I was hoping he'd play Bob the Goon

@loll@

I'm just glad he's not a major villain. As was reading I tried to list acceptable villains for him to play. I came up with Killer Moth. Maybe.

mad hatter was what I was thinking when I heard Joseph Gordon levitt while that and inhales "Commander" @loll@