DCUC Females Distant Cousins?

66JEDIKILLER66

Is it me or does almost every DCUC female character's face look like they could be distant cousins? Do the Four Horsemen only know how to diversify the male characters sculpts? I know some people are going to be upset with this question, but I'm only stating what is clearly visible to the eye. It's bad enough we have to pay so much money for reused bodies but the female faces are all starting to look sort of the same too.

I can kind of see what you mean. Out of curiosity I put Power Girl, Mary Marvel, Big Barda, Cheetah, and Cat Woman side by side. Mary Marvel has a very distinctive face. The other four, while not exactly the same, do have similarities between themselves. Cheetah seems to have a fuller version of Power Girl's face, and Cat Woman and Barda have very similar lips. All together there is a bit of what you call a "distant Cousin" quality between the four figures. Although I will say that it seems to be the eyes that primarily makes each face distinct in it's own right.

To be honest, it's not really bothering me, but it was interesting to look at none the less.

They've said that somewhere between design and tooling, faces tend to get squashed as part of the process. On male figures, it just makes them look more square jawed and heroic, but on girls it gives them smush face.

I imagine it would be tough to get such fine detail to carry over from sculpture to finished product. Still, they do manage to get a lot of detail in, such as the smile creases around Power Girl's mouth. And for my money, they captured Mary Marvel's personality with her face perfectly.

And I'll second Cobra Viper's comments about stylistic uniformity. I loved the Marvel Legends line, but the vast array of differences in sculpting style was frustrating at times. This is why I really don't mind DCUC reusing parts. I wouldn't want 30 figures to each have their biceps sculpted 30 different ways. The Four Horseman by and large only reuse parts when it makes sense to do so. Plus, it keeps my cost per figure between $12-20 on average. I think most would agree that Doctor Midnight and Orion having the same upper arms is a small price to pay for keeping the line accessible to our wallets.

The problem with ML figs is that they usually use freelance sculptors, so the art style changes between character to character. Not only that, they have these artists do different vers of the same characters, so the character's look is very inconsistent.

One of the main reasons why I like the DCUC line is that the character designs are consistent despite the sculpting being new.

Not counting the DCSH line, which is done in a slightly more angluar art style, I do not think that they are any batman figs that looks different from one another.

It really does make a big difference when displaying the figures together. For the most part, the heights are about where you'd expect them to be, and it adds to the "comic book" feel of the collection, as if they were all "drawn" at the same time.

In my wildest collecting dreams I envision Hasbro contracting with the Four Horsemen to restart the Legends line. That has about a one in a trillion chance of happening, but still, a man can dream. Hell, while I'm at it, Marvel Toys contracts with the Four Horsemen as well, and revives the Legendary Comic Book Heroes line.