Gilbert Gottfried Fired by Aflac Over Japan Tweets

Wheeljack35

Ouch. Pretty tasteless jokes, and you gotta wonder what was going through the man's head to so blatantly risk his career. On the other hand, I guess it takes balls to go completely against the popular tide for the sake of your craft to the point where it gets you fired from a cushy corporate gig.

Wow "floodlights"... really? I'm offended that he thought it was funny. I'm not saying it like "omg, how can be say that" kind of funny, Im saying it's not a quality joke. If you are really going to make a joke at a terrible tradgedy that JUST happened, ATLEAST the joke should be funny, and not "pop-sickle stick" quality. Far too often, comedians like him want to be known as "edgy" so things like this come out. (see Bob Saget) I'm not buying the "it's the way I cope" defense either... you "try" and make a living as a comedian, you should know when there's a time for joking and when there isn't, you can feel the audience. I am not sure who he is playing to, but it's just not funny. Minimal talent at best.

Shock humor is right up there with racial humor in that it is incredibly lazy (Howard Stern and Carlos Mencia respectively). Doesn't take a lot of talent to have something terrible happen and you say the opposite of what everyone else is thinking, it's just to get people, like us, saying "can you believe it? wow, he must be high-larious! Let me google him to see if he is coming to my town!" Just lame Gilbert, someone needs to take you to comedy school.

He'll be fine financially anyhow, he's still got those big fat Problem Child and Problem Child 2 pay checks.

Gottfried must have bought Charlie Sheen's new book How I Destroyed My Career (And You Can Too!!). (lol)

Seriously...how could anyone even attempt to joke about something like this? Officials in Japan are saying they haven't seen a catastrophe like this since World War II. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire country as well as those who are suffering and still in danger.

Gottfried must have bought Charlie Sheen's new book How I Destroyed My Career (And You Can Too!!). (lol)

Seriously...how could anyone even attempt to joke about something like this?

Stand up comedy is like that though. Its seldom played safe these days and I understand the philosophy is that most comedy "injures" someone or its not funny.

My oldest step-son has been doing sets at local venues for the past 6 months, and is learning the ropes. Some of his material is off-colour, but he is TAME compared to the seasoned guys that headline locally. The funniest stuff is the stuff that really pushes the limits.

What Gottfried does is NORMAL in the craft of stand-up. The only reason he's on the hot-seat now is because a sponsor announced that they were dropping him. If Aflac hadn't made the announcement, there would have been NO news story about this at all.

Worse is being said in sets in clubs nightly, all over the place.

Is it right and proper?? I dunno........depends upon your tastes, I guess.

its a joke, bad timing yeah but nothing serious. there were jks about 9/11. hattie, chili earthquake days after. i think the people saying that its karma for pearl harbor, or god did it because they dont believe him or far worse.....and even then i really don't care what other say or think, let alone let it bother me if what they say is stupid sometimes.

He was on a roast last night on Comedy Central where they were roasting Donald Trump.This was possibly taped last week.Well he made a stupid joke about Trump ruining the skyline in New York and calling Trump the 20th highjacker..He didn't get much of a laugh for that and said "What too soon?"

Well if you are an entertainer, you need an audience. Just because he may be able to personally find it funny or joke about it, doesn't mean people are ready to hear it. Who hasn't thought a sick joke to themselves and decided it was best not to say it right at that moment? Shock humor folks, nothing more. That's why he doesn't get much work... just not that funny

Seriously...how could anyone even attempt to joke about something like this?

Stand up comedy is like that though. Its seldom played safe these days and I understand the philosophy is that most comedy "injures" someone or its not funny.

My oldest step-son has been doing sets at local venues for the past 6 months, and is learning the ropes. Some of his material is off-colour, but he is TAME compared to the seasoned guys that headline locally. The funniest stuff is the stuff that really pushes the limits.

What Gottfried does is NORMAL in the craft of stand-up. The only reason he's on the hot-seat now is because a sponsor announced that they were dropping him. If Aflac hadn't made the announcement, there would have been NO news story about this at all.

Worse is being said in sets in clubs nightly, all over the place.

Is it right and proper?? I dunno........depends upon your tastes, I guess.

I guess so.