New GL movie costume?

Flounnderr

Very confused about the poster here. Is this just for the promotion or will this become the costume for the movie at some point (maybe towards the end?). I think it's much better than the organic garbage costume. I think this would be a better compromise between the patches and busyness crap people keep on imposing on superhero movie costumes and the original Kane design.

More info would be nice.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=19752#

regards

Joshua

• Like 1

Very confused about the poster here. Is this just for the promotion or will this become the costume for the movie at some point (maybe towards the end?). I think it's much better than the organic garbage costume. I think this would be a better compromise between the patches and busyness crap people keep on imposing on superhero movie costumes and the original Kane design.

More info would be nice.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=19752#

regards

Joshua

The image is a fan photoshopped image. The image is that from the Mortal Kombat vs DC game, but with Ryan Reynold's head doctored onto the pic.

i hear complaints around the net about the costume but i never heard anyone with a better suggestion. the costume looks great. it is the same costume as the one in the comics except that you see the muscle anatomy of the human body. this image was released a few months back and everbody cry out that it wasn't good and awefull. then they come with the actual costume and people are still crying about it. is spandex realy the way to go??? i dont know. i saw some spandex movies from spiderman to power rangers (oh yes i saw the power rangers movie,lol) and it looked awefull. i can tell. superman looked ok for the time it came out but i doubt it will look great if the movie hits right now. for me the costume fits and looks from another planet. great how they did it. check the new reebok spiderman suit maybe now you like the green lantern costume better. spiderman with shoes??? what in the ???? hell???

• Like 1

Is Green Lantern just about the costume? I'm surprised how shallow comic book fans have became.

I would be more excited with seeing Green Lantern in the big silver screen and more concerned of a good story.

You see great movies with a less function-able costume like Batman and there's good costume design but the movie sucked, example: Ironman2, Fantastic Four.

• Like 3

i hear complaints around the net about the costume but i never heard anyone with a better suggestion. the costume looks great. it is the same costume as the one in the comics except that you see the muscle anatomy of the human body. this image was released a few months back and everbody cry out that it wasn't good and awefull. then they come with the actual costume and people are still crying about it. is spandex realy the way to go??? i dont know. i saw some spandex movies from spiderman to power rangers (oh yes i saw the power rangers movie,lol) and it looked awefull. i can tell. superman looked ok for the time it came out but i doubt it will look great if the movie hits right now. for me the costume fits and looks from another planet. great how they did it. check the new reebok spiderman suit maybe now you like the green lantern costume better. spiderman with shoes??? what in the ???? hell???

The power rangers in the film doesn't use spandex. :P

...it is the same costume as the one in the comics except that you see the muscle anatomy of the human body.

I don't know what Green Lantern comics you've been reading.

yeah you are right you can totaly see the muscles on the costume in the comics. my mistake. so it is the same costume as in the comics except the white glowes.

• Like 1

The power rangers in the film doesn't use spandex. :P

all tissue for me. dont know the difference lol. so you saw it too??? lol.

I don't think there is any way to get around it, the majority of people think the costume design is trash and rightfully so. The costume isn't good, just look at the movie figures, the translation is spot on but the figures are ugly because the original design is ugly. Seriously, its like they ripped the skin off his body and painted his muscles black and green. Same as Superman Returns, ugly costume and poor physical representative of the character makes for poor action figures.....can't imagine kids buying the Green Lantern stuff. I seriously hope the movie is good to take away any bad feelings for that costume,

I really, really do. A good story can help where other areas fail.

I am quite sick of Hollywood's fascination with anatomy that in my personal opinion is ugly, too personal, and sexual. Bat nipples, long slender superman torso, and now the muscled Green Lantern look........

• Like 1

Veins popping out is different, I am talking about going that extra mile into weirdness. Bat nipples were and are a big problem. Veins popping out adds to the idea of the character and the overall concept of "super heroes". Having nipples, long slender torso's and the ultra defined muscular structure totally distracts and in my case makes me feel uncomfortable, it ruins the experience. I am not being a prude but seriously, take that garbage somewhere else. Keep it simple, keep it decent. I don't mind how Hollywood tweaks certain things but some times its just pointless.

• Like 1

Is Green Lantern just about the costume? I'm surprised how shallow comic book fans have became.

I would be more excited with seeing Green Lantern in the big silver screen and more concerned of a good story.

You see great movies with a less function-able costume like Batman and there's good costume design but the movie sucked, example: Ironman2, Fantastic Four.

Where you been the past year?

The Nolan Batman films are still about a boy who's parents were murdered in front of him and makes a vow to rid his city of crime.

But the costumes sucked, so therefore the film sucked.

The Nolan Batman films are still about a boy who's parents were murdered in front of him and makes a vow to rid his city of crime.

Well Since i got -2 on this post, minus well respond to the comments.

Most of the recent comic costumes for movies have sucked for a number of reasons (bat nipples!), but mainly because they depart from the original source material which is iconic. Comic book characters are all about costumes, especially the main heroes. For the first 25 years of superheroes, stories were always secondary and for the most part geared to 7-10 year olds.

Superman, Batman, Captain America, Spiderman, Daredevil ect are iconic because of their costume. All have been through costume changes and all have returned to the original, some within a matter of a year or so. With the exception of Chris Reeves, all the movie interpretations have been terrible. Daredevil's leather fetish, Batman's Rubber muscles, Spiderman's mesh with raised rubber webbing, and even this last Superman costume changes were unneccessary.

These are superheroes, the genre is not about realism or even functionality.

Gil Kane's Green Lantern design is iconic, there is nothing gained by radically changing it. And for me that is a major part of the movie. I want to see the comic superheroes I grew up with on the screen, I dont want to see them reinterpreted redesigned or rebooted.

• Like 1

Most of the recent comic costumes for movies have sucked for a number of reasons (bat nipples!), but mainly because they depart from the original source material which is iconic. Comic book characters are all about costumes, especially the main heroes. For the first 25 years of superheroes, stories were always secondary and for the most part geared to 7-10 year olds.

Superman, Batman, Captain America, Spiderman, Daredevil ect are iconic because of their costume. All have been through costume changes and all have returned to the original, some within a matter of a year or so. With the exception of Chris Reeves, all the movie interpretations have been terrible. Daredevil's leather fetish, Batman's Rubber muscles, Spiderman's mesh with raised rubber webbing, and even this last Superman costume changes were unneccessary.

Gil Kane's Green Lantern design is iconic, there is nothing gained by radically changing it. And for me that is a major part of the movie. I want to see the comic superheroes I grew up with on the screen, I dont want to see them reinterpreted redesigned or rebooted.

Before I reply I'd like to say that I don't like the GL movie costume, mainly because it's butt ugly. I don't understand why the traditionally black parts are greenish black. Moving on.

First off, you probably got negatives because there's been multiple conversations about that bogus GL poster. I don't know how many times something has to be rehashed on this board before people believe it.

Secondly, I wasn't referring to you, but if you want to lump yourself in with the anal retentive loser fanboys that torched this board with their alleged higher understanding about comic books then be my guest.

What I'm getting tired of arguing is this "source material" crap of an argument. These iconic characters were created in a different era and I respect creators attempting to take classic characters and relating them to modern stories. Creators a hundred years from now will do the same thing.

I've already discussed what Batman is. A 21st Century Batman would use state of the art technology. Oh, and since your a fan of source material, if I recall the original Batman killed and used a gun.

Iron Man? An arms dealer gets kidnapped by the Vietnamese and in the process gets a heart injury, requiring him to build a suit of armor to both escape and survive. In the movie it was Middle East terrorists because that's relevant to this era. That seems like a detour from the source material to me. I didn't see anyone bitching about that.

How about the Hulk? I didn't see a lot of purple pants on that character. Amazingly they still pulled off a pretty good film (incoming Abomination comments in 3...2...1...).

Last time I checked the X-Men have traditionally been a strike team. Well, a 21st Century strike team would probably wear something similar to what they did in the films.

So I guess the best thing to do is to place all these characters back into the 30's. 40's, 50's and 60's when they were created. Is that what you want? Wolverine fans are gonna be pretty pissed off about that one.

I can go on and on, but I don't know why I bother. I do find it amazing that these detractors go on and on about how these comic films suck but they just can't seem to pry themselves away from any of them.

Oh, and it's Christopher REEVE. I'm glad we have all these Superman fans here that can't even get the actor's name right.

I believe this is the part where you accuse me of taking your words out of context.

The majority of people think the costume design is trash and rightfully so.

Who's the majority? Has this been said in news articles online?

I personally haven't done a scientific study but I also haven't seen a lot of positive feedback on the look of the costume.

• Like 1

Before I reply I'd like to say that I don't like the GL movie costume, mainly because it's butt ugly. I don't understand why the traditionally black parts are greenish black. Moving on.

First off, you probably got negatives because there's been multiple conversations about that bogus GL poster. I don't know how many times something has to be rehashed on this board before people believe it.

Secondly, I wasn't referring to you, but if you want to lump yourself in with the anal retentive loser fanboys that torched this board with their alleged higher understanding about comic books then be my guest.

What I'm getting tired of arguing is this "source material" crap of an argument. These iconic characters were created in a different era and I respect creators attempting to take classic characters and relating them to modern stories. Creators a hundred years from now will do the same thing.

I've already discussed what Batman is. A 21st Century Batman would use state of the art technology. Oh, and since your a fan of source material, if I recall the original Batman killed and used a gun.

Iron Man? An arms dealer gets kidnapped by the Vietnamese and in the process gets a heart injury, requiring him to build a suit of armor to both escape and survive. In the movie it was Middle East terrorists because that's relevant to this era. That seems like a detour from the source material to me. I didn't see anyone bitching about that.

How about the Hulk? I didn't see a lot of purple pants on that character. Amazingly they still pulled off a pretty good film (incoming Abomination comments in 3...2...1...).

Last time I checked the X-Men have traditionally been a strike team. Well, a 21st Century strike team would probably wear something similar to what they did in the films.

So I guess the best thing to do is to place all these characters back into the 30's. 40's, 50's and 60's when they were created. Is that what you want? Wolverine fans are gonna be pretty pissed off about that one.

I can go on and on, but I don't know why I bother. I do find it amazing that these detractors go on and on about how these comic films suck but they just can't seem to pry themselves away from any of them.

Oh, and it's Christopher REEVE. I'm glad we have all these Superman fans here that can't even get the actor's name right.

I believe this is the part where you accuse me of taking your words out of context.

First of all, I looked for a post about this poster and couldn't find it, so sorry if i don't read every post on this site.

Secondly, If i was a purest then i wouldn't have even like the video game mock up costume.

However generally, I think that movie makers should respect the source material much more. The ones that do, usually come out with good movies or at least the ones that i like.

I think Hulk should've had purple pants but did like the joke about them, but i also didn't think it was a great movie.

All the spiderman's were terrible in story for me as well as many of the others i mentioned.

I don't really have a problem with batman or even capt. having a gun and killing the bad guys. oh well

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a purist when it come to film adaptations, but I have noticed that you can pretty much tell how well received a film will be based on how much respect the film-makers have for the source material. The minute I read an interview where a director or produced says things like, "I just don't get the concept behind [insert character name here]", or "It wouldn't make sense to [insert heroic or villainous activity here] while wearing [costume as seen in the comics]", I know the movie has a good chance of being terrible. It takes a lot of ego to look at a character that has endured for decades and say, "You know what? All this time they had the costume wrong. I bet I can fix that!"

Now, I'm not saying that costumes should be set in stone. Certain things might not work outside of a comic page. But, many concepts actually do. (Anyone who's been to a major comic convention has probably seen some excellent, fan made, true to source costumes.)

Having said that, I'm going to see the Green Lantern in the theater. Hal Jordan is my all time favorite hero, ranking above my number 2 & 3, Captain America and Thor. So very little will keep me from seeing it, although I'll be bracing myself when I do.

• Like 1