kjaer21

Childhood memories: Joe toys in the swimming pool, dirt, mud & sand.

I used to love to take my Joes out when I was a kid in the mid '80s. I used to lose the weapons all of the time so I would made guns and swords out of twigs from the trees. I used to dig in the dirt and set up an imaginary battle. I had most of the Joe stuff but hardly any Cobra stuff so I would have the Joes fight an imaginary enemy. I would do little dioramas with Flint and Rock 'N Roll on recon for example entrenched at the base of a tree that I dug up into. Sand at the park was cool too as it was desert terrain for Dusty. I had also loved going to my friends house whom had a swimming pool and just about every toy made in the '80s. We would have a blast trying to sink the Killer W.h.a.l.e. and also use Torpedo and Wet-Suit on deep dives to explore for Cobra. Man those were great times.

Did you guys do this stuff or am I in my own little world with the rest of the kids on my block? If so, lets hear it.

• Like 1

I was usually an obsessive/compulsive collector, even as a kid. My brothers weren't allowed even near my Joes unless they had washed their hands. And even then I was cringing inside any time they touched my stuff. I had good reason; if they didn't break my stuff, their friends did. I remember my little brother broke the gunner turret canopy on my Rattler, and one of my older brother's friends pulled a Godzilla number on my original Joe HQ and stepped right in the middle of it on accident. *sigh* But anyway...there was this one time that my older brother and I loaded up our little brother's abandoned VAMP with some assorted Joes (I think it was Clutch, Doc, and Version 1 Gung-Ho, if I remember correctly), and we tied a string to the front bumper and pulled that thing all over our front and back yard, and through the woods surrounding our property. Needless to say we lost several weapons and/or accessories, but we had a blast. We lived in the greatest place to play outside, up in the mountains where there were alot of woods, creeks, and just flat out great places to play. We even had this real sandy place out back where we had a basketball goal, and it was just like a miniature desert. I don't remember playing with my Joes out there, but I did with our Rambo figures. Speaking of which, did you know that when you throw a couple of handfuls of sands straight up in the air, it looks like a giant mushroom cloud when it comes back down, hits the ground and the dust billows everywhere? Rambo survived several nuclear strikes like that back in the day. (lol)

To this day, every now and then one of us will find some random part uncovered out in the yard, a weapon here or an accessory there, the most recent one being one half of Destro's backpack. (lol) But I was normally very anal about my G.I. Joe toys. Usually I would just set them up in their headquarters and just look at them. But somehow I also lost my W.H.A.L.E. Hovercraft and Skystriker to the yard...dont ask me how that happened. I really do not know, come to think of it. It boggles my mind and completely escapes me as to how they ended up out there. (lol)

• Like 1

By the time GI Joe came out I wasn't into playing anymore but a few years earlier when it snowed I used to love to go in the snow and play the Battle of Hoth

I have so many great memories of playing with my toys as a kid. I played with Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, He-man and many other scattered figures mixed in. A-Team, Sky Commandos, Lone Ranger, COPS, Secret Wars, Rambo, DC Super Powers, The little gold colored die cast army guys, if they made it I had at least one figure from every toy line it seemed like. I was a really lucky kid who was very spoiled.

I'll start with this memory I have of when we were taking a trip from Chicago, where I was raised, to Florida for a family trip. I had all the main characters of the Thundercats and was so into them. I wanted to bring them with me on the trip and my parents left me bring all of them but no vehicles. I was on my way to the airport when I started thinking about how they might not let me take them on in my carry on bag because I was worried they would make the metal detectors go off and that the airline security would take them away from me. Hey, I was a kid. I ended up crying to my mom for the whole ride about it as my Dad tried saying that they weren't going to take them. I of course wouldn't listen and when we got to the airport and my dad had to sit in the drop off lane moving all of my Thundercats into his suitcase. They all made it to Florida with me and the whole plane ride I wished they had been in my carry on with me so I could play with them on the flight.

We spent a lot of time on the beach and I must have made 100 different Cat's lair sand castles and my figures got a lot of sand in there joints but it was one of my favorite trips to Florida and the family never even went near anywhere in Orlando.

I have a lot of memories and this is a great topic. I will post more if It keeps going strong and anyone cares to read about my childhood memories. I have great memories and I also have my destructive ones as well. I had my pyro and firework years and then my eventual nostalgia years to collector years. I can even remember seeing a movie called The Boy Who Could Fly and I think it was a young Fred Savage who plays the main girls younger brother. He plays with GI Joes in the movie and has tons of the toys. He use to bury the fallen soldiers and I remember coming home from the movie and having a huge G.I. Joe battle and then buried the dead in the backyard. I tried unearthing them at a later time and could only find half of them. Did anyone else see this and if so did you do something similar?

• Like 1

Ah the memories. I spent a lot of time outdoors with my Joes as a kid. I used our sandbox for desert battles, the grass for jungle battles, & a nearby creek for battles at sea.

• Like 1

Anytime after a good rain, I used to have the biggest battle by the "rushing rivers" made of the drainage ditches and gutter run-offs. Ahh, good times.

• Like 1