yojoebro82

A bold move regarding my GI Joe collection

Went on a first date last night that went pretty well. Sat at a restaurant for five hours and talked. At about the half way point we taked about what our money goes towards and I brought up my vintage GI Joe collection. IMO, this is like jumping off the deep end because she's either going to be down with it or tell you she has to get going. But I was feeling pretty comfortable and thought, what the hell. She laughed and asked me a few questions about it (I may have undersold just how large it is) but the main thing is she hung around for a good 2 or 3 hours after that. We played Super Mario 3 for the rest of the night and she said she wants to go out again.

The moral here, guys, is be yourself.

(If she ends up NOT going out with me again I will edit this post with a different, less optimistic moral).

Way to put it out there and be who you are. Here's to hoping she sticks around and never makes you sell stuff to get married.

Nice. COngratulations. If a girl is into vintage Nintendo, you're off to a good start.

I once lived with a girl who limited my collection to a bookshelf in the living room and got upset if I put a Joe in the kitchen. Fortunately, my current girlfriend actually encouraged me to spend the ungodly amount of money I spent on my U.S.S. Flagg.

Right on and it's still a good moral. Everyone has hobbies and many are more expensive and no more "useful" than toy collecting. It's always better to get it out there early vs invest a lot of time and energy only to find out the person is not supportive. Good luck!

nice and i did the same thing and we are going strong lol. she even wants to buy me joes but i told her that i had all that i wanted that was out lol.

Sometimes crappy things happen to people and they become bitter and try to spread the tears instead of dealing with their own issues like adults because they can't accept others being happy if they aren't happy. Don't let that get you down, man. You were yourself, she stuck around and wants to meet up again. It's soundin pretty good!

I have never actually dated a girl that had anything negative to say about my toy hobby whatsoever... most of them actually think it's cute... and all of my serious girlfriends would actually buy me toys.

My last girlfriend would even enjoy going on toy hunting runs late at night with me..

I think the real moral of the story is if a girl likes YOU, the toys won't matter at all

She was only being nice. She's curently laughing about it with her friends. Been there bro.

The laughter may have been more about the cross-dressing in your sig man. o.O :D

Seriously though yojoebro, as with anything else, it's just something to talk about - but not too much. Don't go full nerd-gasm on her about the minute details of Joe lore, but if things get serious it can even grow into a bonding experience. If the conversation runs that direction, ask her what fun toons or toys she enjoyed as a kid. You might even get her into something that the two of you could collect together (just so it doesn't cut into the Joe budget too much).

She was only being nice. She's curently laughing about it with her friends. Been there bro.

Can anyone imagine this a-hole on a date? "Let's go back to my mother's basement so I can humble you!"

The difference between you and YJB is he wasn't explaining to the chick how he shows Chuckles his "O" face.

When you tell your date how you wreck your Wolverine and Iron Sheik figures with money shots, yeah, they're gonna laugh at you.

You did the right thing bro, it's better to be honest upfront and if she has no problems with it even better. Just keep being yourself and getting to know each other and it will go great. My wife knew I collected figures back when we were friends and not only she supports it, she buys me figs, goes on figure hunting trips with me and even gives me ideas on how to display them. Good luck.