Against "double-jointing" for DCUC

rash

I accept that the compromise between aesthetics and function is going to mean the toy is going to look more like a mechanical armature rather than a statue.

I WANT function, I want to be able to pose my figures, so I'm okay with mechanisms that break-up sculpted forms.

I think toy design these days has found a really good balance between sculpts and mechanisms, so I feel I often get the best of both worlds with double-jointed figures.

agreed!

agreed.

I, too, agree.

Function over aesthestics, although, the aesthetics really aren't bad.

If you want something for pure aesthetics, get a statue.

Plus, double-jointing gets you twice as high.

I see what you did there. @Smoke2@ @lol@

I'm more for function over form. Ya, we want these figures to look great, but ACTION FIGURES are suppose to have ACTION possibilities.

In other words, I agree.

I accept that the compromise between aesthetics and function is going to mean the toy is going to look more like a mechanical armature rather than a statue.

I WANT function, I want to be able to pose my figures, so I'm okay with mechanisms that break-up sculpted forms.

I think toy design these days has found a really good balance between sculpts and mechanisms, so I feel I often get the best of both worlds with double-jointed figures.

agreed!

agreed.

I, too, agree.

Function over aesthestics, although, the aesthetics really aren't bad.

If you want something for pure aesthetics, get a statue.

Plus, double-jointing gets you twice as high.

I see what you did there. @Smoke2@ @lol@

I'm more for function over form. Ya, we want these figures to look great, but ACTION FIGURES are suppose to have ACTION possibilities.

In other words, I agree.

The thing is about most of these "mechanical compromises" is that they are almost always the parts of the sculpts that are the least interesting. Knees, elbows, hips, ankles, wrists........really, in most action figures those are areas that have ALWAYS had joints built into them ( if the figure was worth its salt, so to speak)--so the addition of double -joints to those areas....big deal. Its just a bit more mechanics in those areas........and since I, as a collector, don't care if a kneecap looks more like a hinge....because a hinge is what it really is. Torso hinges are probably the biggest untoward design compromise......but that's not what we are discussing here---its those double jointed knees/elbows.

I think they have worked those double-joint designs from when they first appeared ( Bandai Kankichi Ryotsu in the late 1990's) to the point now where a lot of figures have what looks like a proper kneecap when the knee is bent.

Sure maintaining the aesthetic of the human form is the ideal goal--but if the intention is for the toy to move, well......

What does a single-hinge joint look like when the joint is bent? Yeah.......a hinge!

Well, that's pretty "mechanical" already, isn't it?

But again, joints of any kind are a compromise, and I think double-joints are necessary for the posing options I seek. A figure that just stands there is boring, as is a pre-posed figure--even if the pose is "dynamic"--its the same pose all the time. A figure with double-jointed knees/elbows is far more likely to be able to be posed in MULTIPLE dynamic poses, that the previous two examples cannot muster.

I want that because those options fuel my imagination, and allow me a choice in the matter, and they get me interacting with the toy itself.

To me, that is more bang for the buck--something that static or limited pose toys just cannot offer.

• Like 1

its because they are protos. TG has said they will have added articulation on most. I expect the Box sets to not though.

Draven

I wouldn´t be too positive or excited about that. Kyle Rayner´s proto showed a double jointed mold...and look how that ended up. I believe thos 2-ups are pretty much the final thing. . .

• Like 1

Kyle ended up not having double joints because they wanted him to match with the rest of the Green Lanterns.

• Like 1

Kyle ended up not having double joints because they wanted him to match with the rest of the Green Lanterns.

bad call if you ask me. It would have been the start of double jointing for regular male molds.

• Like 1

Well it seems only three out of as many people don't like the double joints. The funniest thing are those who think the double joints bring about this extra or greater range in motion for the figures and that the current base buck is soooooo limited.........what is the limitation, the arms and legs don't bend a couple extra degrees, that isn't a vast change worth the extra articulation imo. If your figure has a huge bicep he will still be limited by the bicep which will almost render the ugly joint pointless anyway.

• Like 2

I don't like anything that makes DCUC look like Marvel Legends. ML was over-articulated, and the aesthetic appeal of the figures suffered greatly in my eyes. It's why I never collected more than a few of them. Yeah, you could do every pose you ever wanted or saw in the comic book with Spider-Man, but he was gangly and goofy and un-superhero looking. But DCUC looks brilliant because of the Horsemen's sculpting, and I'd hate to see it suffer just so a figure can crouch or touch its fist to its shoulder.

The good thing is, if it's the Horsemen doing it, the double jointing will come out better than we've seen in most lines.

I pulled out my Robin and my Riddler

In the case of Robin, his bicep is so big it moots the point of the double joint.

The squating postion is again mooted on Robin because of how his ankle is aritculated

I don't know, I agree with Eric. I dont' need hyper articulation for my figures, the standard DCUC buck is fine and actually perfect IMO. The double joint was nice on certain figures like "Blue Beetle" but other than that is has not been a benefit to me. An extra hinge doesn't make the standard buck a "statue" seriously its just an extra hinge. I don't want DCD or statues but I also don't want to chop up a sculpt for the sake of extra articulation. I don't remember but the regular buck sports 19 POA, that is a lot, 24 is overkill IMO. Again, it didn't bother me for Creeper and Azbats but Robin and BH.........

• 1 month later...

I don't mind double joints for characters who are limber and athletic enough for it to make sense. I will say that I'm willing to bet there is a way to improve the look of double joints so that they don't detract from the aesthetics of the figure as much. Either way though, I can take or leave double joints. Not the biggest issue for me.

hm interesting, i read a lot of talk about the elbows but not a lot are complaining about the knees. to be honest i love the double knee joints but lately i believe that the double elbows aren't realy needed. you don't gain a lot more in my opinion. sometimes i mix dcdirect with dcuc so it doesn't bother me to add double joints into the line. crouching is a must for me in a way.

Mattel can fix the odd-look of current double joints by shrinking the size of the peg, say perhaps if they used the female knee or even their elbow pin. As it is the current male elbow peg is sized for a single joint, but add another and it's a little too large to have two so close together. You can tell it's too big because the upper bicep joint isn't cut in enough to allow much motion, as seen in the Robin pic earlier. I support double joints, Mattel just needs to get them right first.

• Like 2

Mattel can fix the odd-look of current double joints by shrinking the size of the peg, say perhaps if they used the female knee or even their elbow pin. As it is the current male elbow peg is sized for a single joint, but add another and it's a little too large to have two so close together. You can tell it's too big because the upper bicep joint isn't cut in enough to allow much motion, as seen in the Robin pic earlier. I support double joints, Mattel just needs to get them right first.

i like what you're sayin Jin! Mattel listen to this guy!

That sucks! It would have been cool, but I respect the consistency. Would have made for some great poses!

i like what you're sayin Jin! Mattel listen to this guy!

Seconded!

the double-jointing is the best of the cases, a progress to the designs standar that Dc universe, being sincere I would like to see a new figure of The Flash who could acquire more dynamic positions with the double-jointing in arms and legs, like that also in future figures how Ragdoll, and perhaps also with teen heroes how Damian or Wonder Girl and maybe too in on New Batman that is seen well to the moment to throw the batarang