Against "double-jointing" for DCUC

rash

This topic seems to pop-up in various threads, so I thought I'd create one here specifically devoted to "double-jointing" on DCUC.

Personally, I'm against it. I don't see the need, I like the way DCUC figures look now, and I'm not bothered by the lack of "dynamic" posing. In addition, I think it detracts from the aesthetics; the arms and legs now have two (2) peg-holes each, above and below the elbows and knees. In my opinion, this looks bad.

But...this is all just my opinion. There's no right or wrong. I'm just curious to see what others think.

• Like 1

I don't have any issues with it. I have my AzBat in a cool crouching position that wouldn't be possible without double joints. But if they didn't have them, I'd just pose all my figs standing, which is also fine with me. Its a non-issue really.

• Like 1

I accept that the compromise between aesthetics and function is going to mean the toy is going to look more like a mechanical armature rather than a statue.

I WANT function, I want to be able to pose my figures, so I'm okay with mechanisms that break-up sculpted forms.

I think toy design these days has found a really good balance between sculpts and mechanisms, so I feel I often get the best of both worlds with double-jointed figures.

• Like 2

I accept that the compromise between aesthetics and function is going to mean the toy is going to look more like a mechanical armature rather than a statue.

I WANT function, I want to be able to pose my figures, so I'm okay with mechanisms that break-up sculpted forms.

I think toy design these days has found a really good balance between sculpts and mechanisms, so I feel I often get the best of both worlds with double-jointed figures.

agreed!

• Like 1

Double joints were not a good idea for DCUC. I personally like the look of the basic design, I think it fits well without to much breakage to the overall look of the figure. The double joints were not done well by Mattel so much so that the figures who have all have an elongated arm which makes them look bizarre. They were fine as they were. Hell, most figures can't look up, they should of worked on that instead of the double joints.

DOWN WITH THE STUPID DOUBLE JOINTS!!!!!!

• Like 1

agreed!

agreed.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not to fond of them myself they really look weird speacilly with Robin. They look much better the way they had them before. I hope that wave 17 and 18 don't have the double joints in them.

I don't understand the argument of that Batman/Robin pic. Batman's arms are akimbo, while Robin's arm is not.

If you placed both arms next to each other, BMs is proportionately longer than Robins. If you compared them at the top of the bicep joint, BMs arm is still proportionately longer. If you placed the arms hanging at their sides, both figures arms stop at a similar point just above the mid-thigh swivel joint.

If you're only issue with doublejoints is the 'gorilla arms' argument, it is a fallacy. The arms are not longer than single hinge elbow jointed figures in the DCUC.

I don't understand the argument of that Batman/Robin pic. Batman's arms are akimbo, while Robin's arm is not.

If you placed both arms next to each other, BMs is proportionately longer than Robins. If you compared them at the top of the bicep joint, BMs arm is still proportionately longer. If you placed the arms hanging at their sides, both figures arms stop at a similar point just above the mid-thigh swivel joint.

If you're only issue with doublejoints is the 'gorilla arms' argument, it is a fallacy. The arms are not longer than single hinge elbow jointed figures in the DCUC.

The pic was to showcase how ugly the arm is versus a normal arm. Also the double joint makes the arms longer, stand your BH next to your Obsidian figure. Obsidian has his hands stretched out in a pose while BH has a closed fist. Both arms are of equal length which is absurd and ugly, the figures have a proper range in motion already, the double joint isn't all that spectacular anyway. The standard articulation is great as is, no need to go revinvent the wheel here. I am not sorry that I don't like my figures with gorilla arms, Robin just looks plain stupid with the huge bicep and the ugly joint hinge

The picture was to showcase how ugly the double joint is compared to a standard elbow hinge.

Your looking at is all wrong, Robin is a shorter figure so even if his arms are longer than normal they still are shorter because he is shorter. Take your Black Hand figure and compare him to a standard height figure, there you can see.

Okay, I pulled my Obsidian and BlackHand figures and compared their arm lengths, from the biceps, from the elbows, and from the wrists up. Compared them against each other and against the Batman. All arms are the same length(within a few MMs).

I will concede Robin has large biceps(that don't bother me personally) but that's a separate issue from the joint peg.

So really it comes down to the aesthetic look of two pegs above and below the elbow, as opposed to just one. Which I respect those for who less is more. But which for me, again, is a non-issue.

Okay, I pulled my Obsidian and BlackHand figures and compared their arm lengths, from the biceps, from the elbows, and from the wrists up. Compared them against each other and against the Batman. All arms are the same length(within a few MMs).

I will concede Robin has large biceps(that don't bother me personally) but that's a separate issue from the joint peg.

So really it comes down to the aesthetic look of two pegs above and below the elbow, as opposed to just one. Which I respect those for who less is more. But which for me, again, is a non-issue.

The issue with them being the same length (Black Hand and Obsidian) is that Obsidian's hands are almost stretched forth while Black Hands is a closed fist. That is why Black Hand along with the overall design gives him a gorilla look.

• Like 1

agreed!

agreed.

I, too, agree.

Function over aesthestics, although, the aesthetics really aren't bad.

If you want something for pure aesthetics, get a statue.

Plus, double-jointing gets you twice as high.

• Like 1

agreed!

agreed.

agreed!

• Like 1

Im fine with the double joints! I just wish they had started sooner!! It does look like most figs from here out with double jointed.

Draven

Not so sure about that. I just took a look at the 2011 Toy Fair DCUC...Many of them still have single-joints (unless they're simply 2-ups, and scheduled to change).

For example, the CRIME SYNDICATE figs are single, as are WAVE 17, 18, and the LEGION box-set.

#US1#