Starting MU

DSmith

You know what another added bonus is? These figures are more fun to hunt. I can go to the same Toys R US 2 or 3 times a week and find a slew of different characters from my last visit. I have gotten to know the peg warmers in my area. There's a million Buckys, modular Iron Men, AIM soldiers, Wolverines, Black Widows. But just today, I nabbed a Sunfire, Archangel, Warpath (red/blue costume), Havok... I don't see these characters often in my area. So it has revived that excitement to go down the toy aisle and REALLY not be sure what you'll find.

So far, it's been madness. My wallet and I are no longer on speaking terms:

A.I.M. Soldier

S.H.I.E.L.D/HYDRA/Hand 3pack (x2) (on sale at Toys R Us)

Firestar/Spider-Man/Iceman 3pack (same sale at TRU)

Fantastic 4 pack (modern w/HERBIE)

Thor (modern)

Dr. Doom/Absorbing Man/Wasp (2 1/4 pack)

Ms Marvel (Dark Avengers)

Wrecker

Sentry/Spider-Man 2pack

Yellowjacket (w/Ant-Man)

Black Widow

Jean Grey (Jim Lee)

Kitty Pryde (w/Lockheed)

Giant-Size X-Men Boxed Set (Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Thunderbird)

Goliath (with Iron Man, both Red/Blue and Yellow/Blue Goliath costumes)

Warpath (red/blue)

Ronin (black)

Sunfire

Havok (modern)

Archangel

Thing (navy/white pants)

Spiderwoman/Iron Man 2pack

Thor/Enchantress 2pack

Wolverine (brown)/Human Torch 2pack

Magneto/Spider-Man (black) 2pack

Ultron/Mr. Fantastic (navy/white) 2pack

Luke Cage (modern)

Multiple Man (3 of him)

From Iron Man 2 line (comic series):

Iron Man red/gold classic armor

Iron Man "oversize" armor (early 90s circa Operation Galactic Storm era red/gold armor)

From Captain America line:

Captain Britain

U.S. Agent

Um, anyone with HERBIE find it impossible for him to "stand" because of the rear jet being lower than the others? He pitches forward and can not stand AT ALL. How can I display this?!

Anyway, I wanted X-Men and Avengers. But now I want the Jim Lee X-Men blue and gold teams. And Avengers West Coast. And Dark Avengers. And New Avengers. And Mighty Avengers. And Founding Avengers boxed set. And Wrecking Crew. And X-Factor. And X-Force. And Excalibur. And the full Giant-Size X-Men (just need Banshee!). And Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. And Fantastic Four (in navy/white uniforms). And some AIM/HYDRA/SHIELD soldiers to beef up those armies. I'm dead. It's over. The money is just LEAKING out of my dead body towards any MU I can track down. Pray for me.

I've LONG resisted starting collecting Marvel Universe figs for several reasons. The size is really disproportionate to price a lot of times, I'm a Marvel Legends boy at heart, quality control.

BUT the character selection is really cool! So should I really open this pandora's box? Is it worth it? Can I get some more pros and cons?

6 reasons to NOT get into MU (works for me)

1.The size is really disproportionate to price a lot of times.

2. I'm a Marvel Legends boy at heart

3.quality control

4.they've catered more to what the fans have screamed for than Legends ever did.(its like a slap in the face really)

5.When ML returns, they are going to catch up and visit some of these characters in the larger scale.

6.The money is just LEAKING out of my dead body towards any MU I can track down

LOL...

I know, I know...

Purchased today:

Captain America/Klaw

Spider-Man/Thunderball

Wolverine (brown)/Sabretooth

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

Captain Britain (single carded MU)

Apocalypse

Mystique

I'm stopping for a week. I swear.

LOL...

I know, I know...

Purchased today:

Captain America/Klaw

Spider-Man/Thunderball

Wolverine (brown)/Sabretooth

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

Captain Britain (single carded MU)

Apocalypse

Mystique

I'm stopping for a week. I swear.

Arent they doing the 2 for $10 sale next week? J/K. Slow down you're going to bust ;)

Snagged today:

Crossbones

Red Skull

Today was the first time I saw these characters at retail and had several to choose from. Late in the day! Like 6pm, so I was very surprised and excited.

I'm glad to see Disney stores carrying Marvel Universe and complimentary toy lines. One more consistent, great source to hunt down the latest. I had some really good finds there because I don't think everyone has caught on that they'd be carried there since Disney bought Marvel. Probably will be a good hunting ground once Marvel Legends returns as well.

And LOL, thanks Rollo.

Snagged today:

Crossbones

Red Skull

Today was the first time I saw these characters at retail and had several to choose from. Late in the day! Like 6pm, so I was very surprised and excited.

I'm glad to see Disney stores carrying Marvel Universe and complimentary toy lines. One more consistent, great source to hunt down the latest. I had some really good finds there because I don't think everyone has caught on that they'd be carried there since Disney bought Marvel. Probably will be a good hunting ground once Marvel Legends returns as well.

And LOL, thanks Rollo.

I've been meaning to check out a Disney Store but i rarely enjoy dealing with malls. Are the prices okay? Dont want to bother if they mark up too high.

The prices are consistent with MU figures everywhere else in the area. All stores here in NY price them at $9.50 Definitely seems like MU arrived in much smaller quantities than the movie lines (Cap/Thor) and the regular Spider-Man kid-driven 3 3/4" line) but they are there.

Yesterday, picked up:

Bulldozer/Thing (navy/white shorts)

Nightcrawler/Storm (mohawk)

And modern Luke Cage was delivered in the mail.

Mohawk Storm is freaking AMAZING and takes a lot of great flying poses. Might be my favorite so far.

In the mail, still waiting on:

Multiple Man (times 3)

Brown Wolverine/Human Torch

Black Spider-Man/Magneto

Ultron/Mr. Fantastic

Iron Man/Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)

Thor/Enchantress

For those in Texas, check your local HEB. They have Marvel Universe for $7.18, and I managed to find a Thanos, Constrictor, Jean Grey, Colossus, and Gladiator. I had only seen Jean Grey at the local Walmarts and Targets.

Thanks for the tip. Have to check it out. I know Kroger's have been carrying them too and got my Jean Grey there.

I've been meaning to check out a Disney Store but i rarely enjoy dealing with malls. Are the prices okay? Dont want to bother if they mark up too high.

The Disney Store also carries Marvel Select figures at $25 a pop, which is about $5 than the online stores but cheaper in the long run without shipping.

This is where I found the MS Deadpool. And then I reveled in the irony of buying a Deadpool figure in a Disney store,

The Disney Store also carries Marvel Select figures at $25 a pop, which is about $5 than the online stores but cheaper in the long run without shipping.

This is where I found the MS Deadpool. And then I reveled in the irony of buying a Deadpool figure in a Disney store,

Note to self... Follow girlfriend into Disney store next time at the mall...

I've been tempted to buy into MU for a while now, even held one in my hand at TRU with the thought of buying it, but I haven't. Like most here, I had pretty much all the Marvel Legends, it's what got me into collecting figures in the first place. When ML stopped, I was pissed and decided I wouldn't buy any MU at all since I had most of the characters already. Well now that some time has passed, I sold most of my ML to help pay for my wedding, keeping only a handful. I know I will NOT be buying ML when the come again, it's too little, too late for me. The price point for this hobby is getting bad too, I know I sound like an old guy, but I remember when ML first came out I could get one for about 6 bucks.

Since I've gotta be more selective about which figures I want, I pass on all MU period. It would be like opening a flood gate and I don't need that now. It's the same reason I don't collect any Star Wars toys at all, once I get one, it will all fall down from there.

.... maybe I will just get a Hulk MU, but THAT'S IT!

Picked up the "Classic Avengers" boxed set and I am really impressed with it... Hulk's face sculpt is great with accuracy to the era and like that body sculpt a lot. Iron Man is typical tin can but his gold color makes the sculpt really pop. Love the Wasp, Ant-Man and flying Ant pack-ins, but the red-colored wings on Wasp are inconsistent with the clear wings that were used on the previous Wasp pack-in.

The clunker for me is Thor this time. The face and hair sculpt is nicer than the Secret Wars version of Classic Thor (and the only sculpting variation between the two figures), but it's highly distracting to look at the sloppy pink wash down the center of his face, which I guess was done to add dimension or whatever, but just looks like he was in a pie-eating contest that went terribly wrong.

Overall I love the set, but Thor needs a bit of a cleanup.

Picked up the "Classic Avengers" boxed set and I am really impressed with it... Hulk's face sculpt is great with accuracy to the era and like that body sculpt a lot. Iron Man is typical tin can but his gold color makes the sculpt really pop. Love the Wasp, Ant-Man and flying Ant pack-ins, but the red-colored wings on Wasp are inconsistent with the clear wings that were used on the previous Wasp pack-in.

The clunker for me is Thor this time. The face and hair sculpt is nicer than the Secret Wars version of Classic Thor (and the only sculpting variation between the two figures), but it's highly distracting to look at the sloppy pink wash down the center of his face, which I guess was done to add dimension or whatever, but just looks like he was in a pie-eating contest that went terribly wrong.

Overall I love the set, but Thor needs a bit of a cleanup.

Man, I was looking HARD at that set online. How much was it?

Found it at a local comic book shop for $29.99. It would average out to $10 per figure, and here the figures sell at $9.50 each anyway, plus the pack-ins, so it didn't seem as inflated a price to me as comic book shops usually do.

Definitely worth it overall, but saw 4 boxes of the Avengers, and Thor's face was a sloppy mess in each one, had to pick the least sloppy.

I'd stay away from the first green Hulk, it's a bad figure. I'd look for either World War Hulk, or maybe the Avengers 3-pack with Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man.

Agree. The WW Hulk is the best Hulk done so far that i've seen (havent spotted the box set yet) but it may not be the 'classic look' youre expecting.