Starting MU

DSmith

I've LONG resisted starting collecting Marvel Universe figs for several reasons. The size is really disproportionate to price a lot of times, I'm a Marvel Legends boy at heart, quality control.

BUT the character selection is really cool! So should I really open this pandora's box? Is it worth it? Can I get some more pros and cons?

Do you want candor?

If you have to ask us, then maybe its the clue to not get into the line.

You have reasons for NOT getting into the line--why go against those reasons?

Marvel Legends WILL be coming back, in 2012--so a bit of patience and you'll be back in that game again.

• Like 1

Well I'm really on the fence! I really like character selection and they've done a lot of characters that have been missing from Legends. Jim Lee Jean Grey, mohawk storm, wrecking crew, Enchantress... they've catered more to what the fans have screamed for than Legends ever did.

The scale is totally different and feels more like a toy to me than Legends does (as little sense as that makes). But they seem really fun.

I just know this is may latest way to spend my money and just am scared of losing myself to this collection.

Also, 2012 seems so far away... I've never been known for my patience.

I DO want candor! I want all the perspectives to help me weigh it out!

Well I'm really on the fence! I really like character selection and they've done a lot of characters that have been missing from Legends. Jim Lee Jean Grey, mohawk storm, wrecking crew, Enchantress... they've catered more to what the fans have screamed for than Legends ever did.

The scale is totally different and feels more like a toy to me than Legends does (as little sense as that makes). But they seem really fun.

I just know this is may latest way to spend my money and just am scared of losing myself to this collection.

Also, 2012 seems so far away... I've never been known for my patience.

I DO want candor! I want all the perspectives to help me weigh it out!

Well, think of MU as being the template for ML now. When ML returns, they are going to catch up and visit some of these characters in the larger scale.

I'll be so bold as to say that's a given.

I looked at MU myself, and I have bought a few ( about a dozen), but I have held off buying some very attractive figures for one simple reason: I don;t want to do it all over again.

Yeah, its jumping into an investment ( in the sense of yet ANOTHER Marvel figure collection) in another scale.....

..and that is a lot of money for stuff that will largely duplicate stuff I already have.

Hasbro never said that Marvel Legends was going to go away. It has been on the periphery the past couple years, but not gone.

I always figured that it would come back, the tide would turn........and now its stated it has.

MU is nice stuff.........make no mistake about that.......its got some neat things.......but its that redundancy that I, as a collector, just have not been able to fully reconcile.

Patience is worthwhile having......focus on some other thing during the waiting time. Remember its not an exercise in spending and constantly getting new stuff, but rather just enjoying what you have at the moment.

Make dioramas, take pictures, display in themes, display with comics as a back drop, learn to paint and enhance spares.....there's many, many things to do in the interim. ENJOY the hobby.

Those are my feelings on the matter.

• Like 2

Don't do it!!! save your money for Marvel Legends besides do you see yourself tracking down every character you already own in another scale??? I agree with Arrow part of you already has reservations about it so why do it at all? It seems that this is more of an impulse thing because of the character selection and I admit I've been there; I own a great amount of Star Wars fig so I don't have a problem with this scale. Collecting Star Wars I learned quite a few things about the 3/34" scale figures from Hasbro here are some:

Pros

-Size=better space, more figures can be displayed more because they're small and you can cram more in selected space this logic also applies in stores.

-Smaller means less plastic which mean more figures and "better pricing".

-Smaller figures can fit in vehicles and playsets.

-3/34" can also fit with other lines like G.I. Joe and Star Wars and so on.

-Comic Packs

-Character Selection.

-Gigantic battles

Cons

-less detail and articulation.

-redos and repackaging of the same figure, they have done it with star wars and from what I've seen lately MU is no exception.

-Hasbro hasn't released any playset or vehicle for the MU so far and I honestly doubt they will.

-Does anyone really display a MU fig with a GI Joe one or a SW one I know I don't.

-No BAF

-Gigantic battles can be used with MLs.

-You already own most of these characters on 6".

-Marvel Legends are coming back big in 2012 from what we have learned this weekend.

There you go make of it what you will the decision is ultimately yours I just hate for you to start collecting MU to then regret it down the line when ML hits in 2012.

• Like 1

I collect both, but prefer ML over MU. If I was able to have a regular flow of ML, I wouldn't buy as much MU. I will admit that MU has been stepping up their quality over the first few waves. If I was just getting into the line, I would definitely pick and choose the few that really stood out to me.

Hasbro never gave consumers a choice before. They backburnered ML to give their underwhelming Universe figures a chance. So it will be interesting to see where collectors spend their money now that both series are side by side on the shelves. I know I'm sticking with Marvel Legends.

Hasbro never gave consumers a choice before. They backburnered ML to give their underwhelming Universe figures a chance. So it will be interesting to see where collectors spend their money now that both series are side by side on the shelves. I know I'm sticking with Marvel Legends.

I think it will come down to price and figure selection. How many people do you think that bought the modern Thor Marvel Select figure are gonna want to buy an ML Thor? I'm sure there a lot, but I think some people will just wait. They already said we're getting a Modern Thor, Bucky Cap and someone else (can't remember). Want to bet we get Spidey in one of the three new costumes he's wore recently? Mr Fantastic, Invisable Woman and Thing in their Future Foundation Uniforms? Or an current cotume Wolverine? All of those would be very easy repaints of recently put out figures. But as I said price and Hasbro's "game plan" for the line will be important. If it two wave sof six figures at $15 to $18 I don't see it going very far.

Back to MU though I'm one of the coverted. I sold all my ML figures and have bought quite a few MU figures and part of the reason was space. I can store a lot more MU figures in the same space it that ML figures took up.

• Like 1

I collect both.... MU was pretty rough at the beginning, and I skipped a lot of early figures because they were pretty crappy. But they are getting better and the universe is expanding, especially with all of the other movie lines that can be incorporated.

Plus you can get 2 figures for the price of what one ML figure will cost (Hasbro said they will be 14.99). And like someone mentioned above, TRU often has them on sale 2 for 10.

I don't know what to tell you... they aren't as good as ML figures were... but they have some advantages... if you like them, pick them up and enjoy the character selection, smaller size, smaller price, etc

I collect both.... MU was pretty rough at the beginning, and I skipped a lot of early figures because they were pretty crappy. But they are getting better and the universe is expanding, especially with all of the other movie lines that can be incorporated.

Plus you can get 2 figures for the price of what one ML figure will cost (Hasbro said they will be 14.99). And like someone mentioned above, TRU often has them on sale 2 for 10.

I don't know what to tell you... they aren't as good as ML figures were... but they have some advantages... if you like them, pick them up and enjoy the character selection, smaller size, smaller price, etc

Based on what CLAM says they seem like an okay buy. Part of the reason I don't like them is their cost. They are 9.99 a piece over here, which hardly seems worth it to me.

3 3/4 inch = Action Figure

6 inch or more = Doll

VIVA LA 3 3/4 INCH!!!

I'm only sort of kidding. I am of the eighties and it is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to have Indiana Jones leading a small band of G I Joes on an expedition through the Amazon jungle, only to be ambushed by Dr Doom and an army of B.A.T.S. And just when the Joes are about out of ammunition and ideas, The Avengers and X-Men arrive on a spaceship piloted by Han Solo and Chewbacca to level the playing field. But, alas, it was all just a distraction because, meanwhile Darth Vader has delivered a powerful weapon to Destro on the other side of the world... To be continued.

Check out Scale Wars or joedios.com for some great crossover pics.

I agree that the quality of the MU figures was pretty bad in the beginning, but it is getting better. I wish they would make a new molds for the female figures instead of reusing one mold for all of them. It looks like the Thor and Captain America movies will have both scales to choose from, and the 3 3/4 line looks great. We will see how the articulation is when we actually get them. Ultimately, the downfall of lines like the Iron Man movie line (where every figure is a peg warmer) is that they had 560,000 Iron Man variations (and yet, no Tony Stark) and may be 1 other character. The benefit of smaller scale figures is that you can have a whole world of characters- that's the lesson that Star Wars and G I Joe taught in the eighties. Unbelievably, Hasbro still has trouble with this concept to this day.

Overall, between G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Marvel Universe, and various movie lines it's a great time for action figure fans. My big wish right now is that the upcoming Batman and Superman movies gives us a 3 3/4 line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just an update... I've caved. It started with buying the super-sized Goliath figures from MU. Then Yellowjacket, wanting him in an articulated small scale though he turned out not to be small enough to work with ML, of course. Then I nabbed the "Dark Avengers" Ms. Marvel variant cause she looked cool. But I've completely lost all ability to fight it anymore.

So I've decided to build Avengers and X-Men, and prinicpal villains. It's over for me.

Just received Spider-Man/Sentry in the mail.

Waiting on 2 Iron Man 2 "comic series" armors and an AIM soldier in the mail.

Lord help me.

Just an update... I've caved. It started with buying the super-sized Goliath figures from MU. Then Yellowjacket, wanting him in an articulated small scale though he turned out not to be small enough to work with ML, of course. Then I nabbed the "Dark Avengers" Ms. Marvel variant cause she looked cool. But I've completely lost all ability to fight it anymore.

So I've decided to build Avengers and X-Men, and prinicpal villains. It's over for me.

Just received Spider-Man/Sentry in the mail.

Waiting on 2 Iron Man 2 "comic series" armors and an AIM soldier in the mail.

Lord help me.

that's why I don't want to start...you start with 1 figure and you'll be surprised your trying to build X-Men and Avengers and all the team. soon enough you want to complete the collection. good luck man.

When they started this line, I was really hesitate to get into it as well. I collected Marvel Legends hardcore and really hated seeing the line end. I not a Star Wars or GIJoe collector, so the size bothered me too, but in the end I really liked the figures I saw and even reached the point that when I started collecting, I liked the packaging so much that I don't even open the figures. It's actually the first toyline that I've collected I leave the figures on card and don't open them.

I almost caved and got the Giant Sized X Men set, but I didn't. Displaying my ML X Men and TRU jacking the price up kept me at bay. Now granted, I have bought almost all of the new Captain America figures but I'm not counting those. I just want to pair them with my GI Joes. The whole patriotic theme and all....

When all else fails, looking at the (now) over $8 price per figure helps a lot!

These are the only Marvel figures I will go after. I've never been a big fan of ML. I tried with the Galactus BAF wave. I bought every one of them. Put Galactus together. Tried displaying them, but they didn't go with anything else I collect. So, a few weeks later, I was over my ML phase and sold the whole set with Galactus for about what I paid for them and never looked back. I'm really only looking for the BAFs now as most of them are more in scale with MU than ML. Nothing against ML if that's your cup of tea, it's just not for me. I love being able to display my MU with my Joes. I've done a battle scene before with tons of BATs getting beat down by Joes and MU combined. That was one of the most fun times I've had. And I love the fact that MU can interact or use vehicles done in 3 3/4 scale. Nothing like having Joes in a Humvee chasing down the Hulk.