X Men First Class trailer

yojoebro82

I might see it when it comes out but this look like another bad attempt to keep the rights to the franchise. Plus the characters being used don't make any sense except maybe Darwin, but Havok in a timeline that would make him Cyclops father not his brother is kind of stupid. The only thing I'm looking forward is Magneto since he is my favorite X-men character after Cyclops but I still have my reservations. Between the current comics and the movies I don't know which aspect of the X-men disappoints me more.

Well, if its a good movie, then we get a good movie. And if its a crappy movie, then we are step closer to the rights reverting back to Marvel so we can get a good movie that also ties into their cohesive universe.

So its win/win for fans in the long run.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is only one recipe to make a succeesful comic book movie... RESPECT the characters and his/her history... Apparently FOX still dont get it...

Thank you! I've always said that you can almost always tell how good a live action adaptation will be by how much they makers respect the source. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; It takes some pretty big stones to take characters that have endured and resonated for decades , and say, "All this time they never got it right. I bet I can fix that!"

I just think it is pretty dumb.. it's like they wanted to make a movie that focused on Xavier and Charles before they were enemies.. and they wanted to show the start of the school... However, they didn't want to use the same characters they have been using... and/or they couldn't because they already screwed up the timeline with the first 3 movies..

so now we get the first class with a bunch of characters that have no business being in the movie at all.

stupid.

if they made the movies right from the start, they could have done this one right too

if they made the movies right from the start, they could have done this one right too

If they made the movies "right" from the start Wolverine wouldn't have been in the first one and it would have bombed. Then you'd be here complaining that there are no X-Men movies.

Seriously people, bring your "true to the source material" bull to this argument.

Better yet, explain to me how Wolverine would have worked if he was "true to the source material".

I was really looking forward to the Magneto movie which would show his childhood in the nazi Deathcamp and why he hates Humanity instead they release this...

using new characters irelevant to the other films with the exception of Xavier and a few others

have them Fight the Soviets

hire an actor for Xavier who can't keep up a convincing British accent

(sighs) whatever

If they made the movies "right" from the start Wolverine wouldn't have been in the first one and it would have bombed. Then you'd be here complaining that there are no X-Men movies.

Seriously people, bring your "true to the source material" bull to this argument.

Better yet, explain to me how Wolverine would have worked if he was "true to the source material".

There is a clear balance, I think the first film handled that well, not starting at the begining but following wolverine in. This movie wasn't about a standing team though, but the first group of mutants to start the team, this is too far off. I'll still see it but i have very low hopes for it. It's entirely true something can stray far from the source material and still make a good movie, but it's going to be harder and if it's good, it will be good for different reasons.

I am a bit confused as to why Wolverine couldn't have been in the first one... Nobody ever said that they had to start the movie off at the first class from 1963. They could have started the movie with the already established team of Cyke, Jean, Beast, Angel, and Iceman... and then have some newer additions of Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Sunfire, etc... or they could have just started it off with a team already in place without doing any sort of origins story... the movies could have simply started with Cyke, Jean, Beast, Angel, Iceman, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm... but where they ruined their timeline was the students.. having Iceman, Pyro, Rogue, Colossus, Angel etc as new students messed things up... all they need to do was respect the continuity of the comics and have the characters join when they were supposed to have..

and then if they wanted to go back and do an origins story, they could have used the actual first class.. instead of the strangest team ever established in any form of the X-men stories.. Nightcrawler's dad? Havok WAY before Cyclops? wow just wow on that one.. it is just really stupid that this movie is going to be filled with c-list to Z-LIST mutants instead of actual X-men.

and how would wolverine not work if it was true to his story? Wolverine's origin story is just about as good as you can get for movie-making material. A boy discovers he has mutant abilities, accidentally kills some people, becomes a soldier, travels the world learning how to be the ultimate badass, gets captured by a government project, has his brain washed, joins a black ops team, rebels against that team, fights some bad guys.. etc (this perfect story does not include a ridiculous Deadpool monster)

"I am a bit confused as to why Wolverine couldn't have been in the first one... Nobody ever said that they had to start the movie off at the first class from 1963."

Because for Wolverine to be part of the team the original squad had to get captured on the island of Krakoa and Xavier had to recruit a new team. Last time I checked that was the source material. Respect the continuity Clam.

"but where they ruined their timeline was the students.. having Iceman, Pyro, Rogue, Colossus, Angel etc as new students messed things up... all they need to do was respect the continuity of the comics and have the characters join when they were supposed to have.."

This is laughable. "The movies sucked because Iceman and Colossus didn't show up when they were supposed to and they were kids." Hey Clam, since you're clearly the resident X-Men expert here, how old was Colossus when he joined the team? It's double laughable because, last time I checked, Iceman is traditionally one of the youngest members of the team.

"and then if they wanted to go back and do an origins story, they could have used the actual first class.. instead of the strangest team ever established in any form of the X-men stories.. Nightcrawler's dad? Havok WAY before Cyclops? wow just wow on that one.. it is just really stupid that this movie is going to be filled with c-list to Z-LIST mutants instead of actual X-men."

Hey, you're not gonna get me to defend that pile of crap coming out in June. That's not even what I asked you.

• Like 1

"And how would wolverine not work if it was true to his story?"

No no no no no no no no that's not what I said. I said explain how Wolverine would have worked if he was "true to the source material."

And what is the source material?

A foul-smelling, cigar chomping, hygiene deficient, ugly ass midget with amnesia and adamantium claws who runs around in yellow pajamas.

And I only need to focus on one thing to throw your whole argument out the window:

How tall is Hugh Jackman? The source material clearly states that Wolverine is roughly 5'-3". Hugh Jackman is not 5'-3".

Now let's throw that into reality. Are you tall Clam? Because I'm not. I'm about Wolverine's height. And it's a little awkward making out with chicks that are as tall as, oh I don't know, Jean Grey.

There's a difference between laughing with and laughing at. Logan popping out his middle claw is laughing with. Logan needing a stool to make out with another man's woman is laughing at.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is all I need to throw out the "source material" argument.

• Like 1

There is a clear balance, I think the first film handled that well, not starting at the begining but following wolverine in. This movie wasn't about a standing team though, but the first group of mutants to start the team, this is too far off. I'll still see it but i have very low hopes for it. It's entirely true something can stray far from the source material and still make a good movie, but it's going to be harder and if it's good, it will be good for different reasons.

I'll say it again: This movie looks awful. I wasn't arguing about the movie.

I was arguing this tired discussion about source material and continuity based on this comment:

"if they made the movies right from the start, they could have done this one right too"

People like this find an excuse in every single one of these comic book movies to trash them. "Iron Man wasn't attacked by Afghan terrorists." "Joker has a bleached face, he doesn't paint it." "Hulk wears purple pants, not gray." It never ends.

• Like 1

"I am a bit confused as to why Wolverine couldn't have been in the first one... Nobody ever said that they had to start the movie off at the first class from 1963."

Because for Wolverine to be part of the team the original squad had to get captured on the island of Krakoa and Xavier had to recruit a new team. Last time I checked that was the source material. Respect the continuity Clam.

"but where they ruined their timeline was the students.. having Iceman, Pyro, Rogue, Colossus, Angel etc as new students messed things up... all they need to do was respect the continuity of the comics and have the characters join when they were supposed to have.."

This is laughable. "The movies sucked because Iceman and Colossus didn't show up when they were supposed to and they were kids." Hey Clam, since you're clearly the resident X-Men expert here, how old was Colossus when he joined the team? It's double laughable because, last time I checked, Iceman is traditionally one of the youngest members of the team.

you aren't getting it... I am saying they could have started the movie at a point AFTER giant-sized #1... which they did... Xmen 1 was not an origins story.. and that is fine.. start the movie out with whatever mutants you want to use on the team... they didn't want to use all of the originals, that is great and fine.. since it is not the original team, they don't have to use all of the first 5 X-men.. there were plenty of times when the original 5 were not part of the Xmen or at Xavier's school... they could have really comprised the team of any Xmen they wanted and it would have been fine... but then don't show me Iceman and Colossus in the school as new students.. and don't show me a young Angel discovering his powers etc.. then they could have made an actual first class movie now, using Iceman, Beast, and Angel

and no, the movies didn't suck because of the students being out of continuity, it sucked because it sucked.. All 3 of the Xmen moviers were crap and Wolverine too... and this one is going to suck as well..

other for the record, other Marvel movies were great, like Spiderman 1 & 2 and Ironman 1 & 2...

Yeah Clam I do get it. The fact that you keep dodging my arguments proves my point. You're all about costumes and source material, it shouldn't be difficult to explain how the 5'-3" furball with a yellow suit is supposed to come off as a trained killer trying to steal the team leader's hot girlfriend.

Then you ramble about continuity and how it's unacceptable for Iceman and Colossus to be new students at the school. WHO CARES?! Do you realize how petty you sound?

And I'm still confused at how the first two X-Men films sucked. It was the costumes, right? Oh my goodness a strike team wearing black! What a concept!

Newsflash: Singer could have done your silly little continuity thing and filled the movie with characters no one gives an at's rass about.

Banshee. Thunderbird. Sunfire. Colossus and Nightcrawler are borderline. Yeah, let's put them in the first film of a franchise that could not only boost the X-Men, but bring other beloved Marvel heroes to the screen.

Instead they put together a makeshift team of characters people care about. Cyclops. Jean Grey. Storm. Xavier. Rogue. Wolverine. God forbid should a professional director be bound to comic book continuity, continuity I might add, that gets changed every five minutes.

This new X-Men film isn't going to suck because of continuity or source material issues. It's going to suck because they clearly have way too many characters bouncing around and because Wolverine isn't in it. Wolverine's the only character in the near 50-year history of the X-Men that's even remotely interesting enough to revolve a movie around. When you think about it it's actually kind of pathetic.

Yeah Clam I do get it. The fact that you keep dodging my arguments proves my point. You're all about costumes and source material, it shouldn't be difficult to explain how the 5'-3" furball with a yellow suit is supposed to come off as a trained killer trying to steal the team leader's hot girlfriend.

Then you ramble about continuity and how it's unacceptable for Iceman and Colossus to be new students at the school. WHO CARES?! Do you realize how petty you sound?

And I'm still confused at how the first two X-Men films sucked. It was the costumes, right? Oh my goodness a strike team wearing black! What a concept!

Newsflash: Singer could have done your silly little continuity thing and filled the movie with characters no one gives an at's rass about.

Banshee. Thunderbird. Sunfire. Colossus and Nightcrawler are borderline. Yeah, let's put them in the first film of a franchise that could not only boost the X-Men, but bring other beloved Marvel heroes to the screen.

Instead they put together a makeshift team of characters people care about. Cyclops. Jean Grey. Storm. Xavier. Rogue. Wolverine. God forbid should a professional director be bound to comic book continuity, continuity I might add, that gets changed every five minutes.

This new X-Men film isn't going to suck because of continuity or source material issues. It's going to suck because they clearly have way too many characters bouncing around and because Wolverine isn't in it. Wolverine's the only character in the near 50-year history of the X-Men that's even remotely interesting enough to revolve a movie around. When you think about it it's actually kind of pathetic.

I still think you aren't getting what I am saying, because you keep putting words in my mouth... and you just kinda sound like you want to be angry for no reason... and I honestly can't find your argument because your rants are kind of nonsensical and don't address what I am saying.

1. you seem to have a problem with wolverine being depicted as wolverine... wolverine isn't a silly little troll or hobbit as you make him sound.. sure, he is shorter than most.. but I wouldn't say a movie sucks because they picked an actor that is too tall, would you? Also, wolverine has had plenty of costumes, and often goes without any costume at all.. there would be no reason for them to go with goofy yellow pajamas, as you say... and even if they wanted to use a tiger-stripe costume, I am certain they could have done one well. Spiderman, Ironman, Batman, Superman.. etc, have all done well with costumes that resembled the comic versions.

2. At first it was just kind of dumb for them to mess up the continuity of the team.. but now that they want to do an origins movie, and they can't use any of the star characters, it is a real shame... and that is why I said, if they had done them right the first time, they could have done this one right too.. by having an actual first class... and I still don't know why this movie isn't starring Cyke and Jean.. if they wanted to use their continuity and continue to disregard the comics, they would have still had the option to include Storm and Wolverine.. maybe Banshee, Sunfire, and Thunderbird... well, at least they are using Beast. (most of the other X-men can't be used because they were shown to be new students in the first 3 films).

3. Yup, I think the first 3 sucked.. for plenty of reasons, not just the costumes.. I have mentioned these reasons before.. I don't care to go over them again.. you seem to know everything anyways.. so what is the point.. and you haven't mentioned why you don't think they suck.. so why argue?

4. since when is continuity silly? And I NEVER said that they shouldn't have included the characters they did.. or that they should have focused on the Giant-sized X-men.. again, that is you missing my point and putting words in my mouth... Of course the movies should have featured Cyke, Jean, Storm, and Wolverine (not so much Rogue).. but they messed up using some of the X-men as new students.. and since when are Colossus and Nightcrawler not some of the most popular X-men?

5. finally, I have to disagree wholeheartedly that the reason the movie is going to suck is because of lack of wolverine... or that wolverine is the only X-character interesting enough to revolve a movie around... I think most of the core X-men could hold their own movies.. I am not saying they would be big draws, but they are definitely interesting characters.. maybe you don't like them, but if you aren't an X-fan, then why are you even arguing in the first place?

• 5 weeks later...

5. finally' date=' I have to disagree wholeheartedly that the reason the movie is going to suck is because of lack of wolverine... or that wolverine is the only X-character interesting enough to revolve a movie around... I think most of the core X-men could hold their own movies.. I am not saying they would be big draws, but they are definitely interesting characters.. maybe you don't like them, but if you aren't an X-fan, then why are you even arguing in the first place?[/quote']

I would not claim most could. Some are indeed supporting characters, or there story is so bizarre are relient on others it would be hard to accomplish. Many more would have great stories but may lack marketability. Wolverine is the character i hate most in all x-men but even I can't deny he is more well known and has a market presence that helps them sell more tickets.

Xaiver and Magneto are both far more fascinating characters who reflect a still relevent issue with how to takle racism and oppression. Forget, first class, I just wanted an Xaiver/Magneto movie.

I doubt it will be as bad as X-Men 3 The Last Stand. That movie was awful.

This one looks to be repeating many of the same mistakes. Far too many characters are involved with their own arcs, that's hard to pull off in a good movie, but in one where so many of these characters either reapear or completly disappear with no information later, it's goign to be even more difficult.

I agree with clam, i still see no reason this movie did not feature cyke and jean. I realize that XMO had cyke and that is another lack of fore thought, but it could have picked up from there! It also could at least have jean!

but where they ruined their timeline was the students.. having Iceman, Pyro, Rogue, Colossus, Angel etc as new students messed things up... all they need to do was respect the continuity of the comics and have the characters join when they were supposed to have..

and then if they wanted to go back and do an origins story, they could have used the actual first class.. instead of the strangest team ever established in any form of the X-men stories.. Nightcrawler's dad? Havok WAY before Cyclops? wow just wow on that one.. it is just really stupid that this movie is going to be filled with c-list to Z-LIST mutants instead of actual X-men.

Iceman, Pyro, or Rogue even Colossus didn't bother me because we weren't sure how long the regular X-men had been on the scene. Angel did bother me because he was an original. I Can stand shifting some people around but the originals are so iconic I would prefer they keep their spot.

This first class could have featured, Jean and Storm. Cyke is only messed up due XMO's inclusion of him. Although I'm tempted to say that could have been a starting point. One serious question this film will have to answer is why Darwin, havok etc. simply disapear and are never mentioned again in the other xm movies.

One of the issues i think this film has is that it cant' decide if it's a reboot or not. I think that really hampered character selection.

Wait just a minute...are you guys saying this "first class" includes Iceman, Pyro, Cyclops, and Rogue? First of all, I was under the impression this new movie was based upon the continuity created by the films. If so, then it goes without saying that they messed up big time. We know from the first film that Rogue joined years later as a teen. Now I might be able to buy the fact that Colossus was perhaps older and had already been on the team for years; they never imply his age, unless I've just forgotten or missed something. But they seemed to depict Pyro and Iceman as teens like Rogue that had been ostracized by their families and had found refuge in Xavier's school fairly recently. That is, unless their aging process is somehow slowed down by their respective mutant genes. Otherwise I'm disappointed when filmmaker's make such glaring mistakes. And of course according to the events depicted in Wolverine Cyclops didn't join until the end of the film, so he couldn't have been a founding member either...again, according to the previous films' continuity this new film is supposed to be based upon.

Ahh...either way I like what I see so far. I was a sucker for the first three films, even X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I'm a sucker for prequel films that go back in time and portray the younger versions of well-established characters. It gives you a real sense of history and is alot of fun to watch...usually. (lol) I do like the younger versions of Xavier and Magneto, judging by the previews. I'm looking forward to seeing that dynamic play out.