Sign in to follow this  
Mydyingtoys

Death of Dcdirect

Is Dcdirect gone,I went on to DCU website and the link for their website is not their but only when you type the address on you browser.Also alot of their stuff is slow to arrive or delay so I want ask is DC direct going away.

Is Dcdirect gone,I went on to DCU website and the link for their website is not their but only when you type the address on you browser.Also alot of their stuff is slow to arrive or delay so I want ask is DC direct going away.

anybody, I am dying to know,most of my stuff are from Dc direct.

I don't think DC Direct is going away, DC Direct is a division of DC Comics which is now owned by Warner Bros. I think DC Direct is more and more shifting its focus from action figures which with Mattel doing the exact same figures is somewhat counter productive and focusing more on things like the statues and and busts and even some of the non-DC related licenses they have through DC Unlimited like the video game figures. This though really isn't new and has been happening since at least this time last year. As far as specific employment, what they plan to do with their websites and all is unknown, I do know Warner Bros. has shifted a lot of DC personnel from east coast to west coast which includes comic people to.

I don't think DC Direct is going away but I don't think your going to see a lot of action figures from them in the foreseeable future, I think that job has gone to Mattel and honestly do we need two companies making the same figures in the same scale of the same characters??? Do you really think there is enough demand in DC Comic figures to support that?

DCD is a good company. I think there is a market albeit very small now since DCUC. Hopefully they stick around and people continue to support them.

The problem with me not supporting DC Direct is income and space. I love artist inspired figures, I think that is awesome however I do like a standard line. The sad thing is that the standard figs are the ones who win out with me, but I love DCD and applaud those who support the line. Also with the frequent mistakes made by Mattel I imagine that DCD may survive this in the end.

The Good:

They made some great figures that I love (Peter David Aquaman, HTH Green Arrow, Blackest Night line).

The Bad:

1) Scale could be a problem at times, 2) and they never seemed to finish a line (the Alex Ross line never saw a JUSTICE Riddler, the Green Lantern waves were missing a Guy Gardner).

The Ugly:

The wild speculations, which could very well be true, since DC Direct is keeping very silent.

Hopefully Toy Fair will not only end all the rumors, but we'll see a new and improved DC Direct!

I'm surprised DC Direct has lasted this long and I'm REALLY surprised if it has indeed survived this latest round of fat-trimming DC has undergone recently. How can you survive selling three-hundred dollar batarangs? These over-priced doodads are probably directly responsible for killing more than a few comic shops. I know my local shop would order one or two three hundred dollar pieces of Kryptonite or bottled cities of Kandor, display it in the store and then unload it two years later marked down at a bloody discount.

And what pervert is buying those tacky statues of female DC characters in provocative poses? Nothing says "family friendly" like have Catwoman as a stripper adorning the local comic shop. If you buy one of these things, you shouldn't be allowed to be within a hundred yards of a school.

With regard to MasterJailer, I'm not sure anything in a comic shop really sells any more. Do $4.00 comics sell? I totally agree about the provocative statues comment. Not many parents are going to feel good about spending money in a store that promotes a sexualized superhero agenda. Now forty-year-old fanboys may be another deal. But comic shops need youth to keep going. That being said, brick and mortar storefronts may be a thing of the past when it comes to a niche like comic book collectors and readers. Parents may elect to just pay for an online comicbook via iPad. That way they're less likely to introduce any bad elements into their childs life.

By the way, I buy those DCD replicas on a regular basis. Personally, I don't mind saving/spending money for a cool replica of Batman's Utility Belt. It's the $4.00 books that bother me with the industry. Moms with checkbooks don't spend that kind of money on a stack of comics. Parents are far more likely to spend that money on a video game or dvd purchased in a family friendly enviroment.

I'm not sure anything in a comic shop really sells any more. Do $4.00 comics sell? I totally agree about the provocative statues comment. Not many parents are going to feel good about spending money in a store that promotes a sexualized superhero agenda. Now forty-year-old fanboys may be another deal. But comic shops need youth to keep going. That being said, brick and mortar storefronts may be a thing of the past when it comes to a niche like comic book collectors and readers. Parents may elect to just pay for an online comicbook via iPad. That way they're less likely to introduce any bad elements into their childs life.

Comics are still selling. There's still a dedicated clientele buying them, but its not kids.

Comic shops that survive don;t just sell comics--they have/are/will evolve into collectible shops, of which comics are a part of what they offer. Comic shops have ALWAYS had a bit of a seedy element to them--its partly the nature of the material itself.

Sure there's probably always going to be some Archie comics for the kids, but there will always be some of the risqué stuff not far away too. And since the customers that frequent comics shops are almost exclusively adults, you will not see any less of it.

I disagree that youth will be what keeps the stores growing.

I think that because the nature of the stores becoming more collectible based ( toys, statues, apparel, props as well as manga and trades) that the people walking in the doors are going to be those with $$$ in their pockets, which means adults, and the stores are definitely going to cater to them.

One of my local stores, the one I frequent, was just nominated for a Shuster award for Best Comicshop, and I can see why. They have squarely situated themselves into the collectible market, the stock very well, offer a wide range of stuff, and divide the goods between about 40% comics/trades/manga and 60% collectibles and toys. They are NOT a high-end boutique kind of place, but they do aim directly at the adult-age consumer.

They have a very small amount of the stuff mentioned about--some of the kind-of risqué items--but its not a focus of there.

Obviously, they are doing well ( and doing something right!) to get such a nomination, because the Shuster Awards have some pretty picky criteria.

But I know for certain that there's not a lot of kids shopping there.

Let's remember something about DC Direct. For the most part, the plates, statues, maquettes came along after the demise of the Warner Bros. Studio Stores (WBSS). These types of high end collectibles were made with the older collector in mind. Unfortunately, the WBSS closed down shortly after the AOL/ Warner Bros. merger. You can still purchase superhero stuff on a Warner Bros. website, but I loved walking into WBSS to see the next Alex Ross print or animation cel. It was a different economy back ten or fifteen years ago. High end collectibles flew off the shelves or sold out upon release. Eventually, local comic shops took over the part of selling high end collectibles once DC Direct began producting similar merchandise.

In my opinion, selling high end collectibles is probably best suited for internet stores that can special order these types of products without sacrificing cash flow for products collecting dust on a shelf. My local book store can order from Diamond, but it takes close to two weeks for the merchandise to arrive. I've learned to order from online stores that can ship a product to my doorstep within a few days.

Sounds like you have a great store Arrow. I only wish I had a great store in my area or my state for that matter. That would certainly change my view. Walking into a store that carried a vast selection of merchandise, DCD and others, would be nothing short of awesome. For the collector, there's nothing better than walking around a store and seeing the actual product.