New Supes is....

jahue

In the end, all the Superman Returns, Brandon Routh, and Singer fans are a very small and insignificant minority. The real fans have spoken!!

Omg, the arrogance of this statement just kills me. Who are you exactly to determine who the "real fan" are?

It's the truth, the film was trash, the public didn't warm up to it, a few people here on TNI and abroad like it,.....so what.......neither WB or DC warmed up to it. Singers gone and so is Routh, the proof is right there.

Also some may backtrack because they are scared but yes there is a reason Routh was picked and his costume stylzed as it was. Can't escape truth no matter how PC some people here try to be.

That's still an opinion friend. Critically the movie did fine. It wasn't absolutely loved, but it was in the like category. Plus, the reception of Superman Returns can also be attributed to another film that came out a week before called Pirate's of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. That movie was not good, but the love of the first movie ensured that hardly any movies other than it got much love that whole summer let alone the few weeks it came out.

Say you don't like it, thought it was terrible and swear of its existence, but don't 'assume' the same opinion for the rest of us. I actually know a lot of people who fell in love with the character of Superman because of the movie.

• Like 3

If anything this thread has tought me a lot about myself. While I did not particularly LIKE Superman Returns for the simple fact that it was riddled with plot holes, still....

I have a statue of Routh Superman. Got it cheep at a con for $10.

I also have a Superman Returns movie poster. I think it looks cool with Supes looking down over the eastern seaboard.

I also did not mind the costume. It's being hinted that it will appear in the final Smallville (a double whammy since people seem to hate that too).

With all this true, I think I, too must be gay.

(Anyone hear that they have chosen a new actor for Superman?)

Also some may backtrack because they are scared but yes there is a reason Routh was picked and his costume stylzed as it was. Can't escape truth no matter how PC some people here try to be.

Oh, no back tracking here. IF it was an ALL a gay agenda (which was not the entire case), then that's ONE reason why I didn't like it. Otherwise the film failed because it sucked.

There was no overall gay agenda, but that costume def had its influence. The whole gay thing was one of many problems associated with the film.

Everyone can act all PC but the below costume IMO without offense to anyone screams homosexuality.

40197_ba.jpg

If anything this thread has tought me a lot about myself. While I did not particularly LIKE Superman Returns for the simple fact that it was riddled with plot holes, still....

I also have a Superman Returns movie poster. I think it looks cool with Supes looking down over the eastern seaboard.

I also did not mind the costume. It's being hinted that it will appear in the final Smallville (a double whammy since people seem to hate that too).

I figured you were, now we have confirmation @smilepunch@ -- JK

In the end, all the Superman Returns, Brandon Routh, and Singer fans are a very small and insignificant minority. The real fans have spoken!!

Omg, the arrogance of this statement just kills me. Who are you exactly to determine who the "real fan" are?

It's the truth, the film was trash, the public didn't warm up to it, a few people here on TNI and abroad like it,.....so what.......neither WB or DC warmed up to it. Singers gone and so is Routh, the proof is right there.

That's still an opinion friend. Critically the movie did fine. It wasn't absolutely loved, but it was in the like category. Plus, the reception of Superman Returns can also be attributed to another film that came out a week before called Pirate's of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. That movie was not good, but the love of the first movie ensured that hardly any movies other than it got much love that whole summer let alone the few weeks it came out.

Say you don't like it, thought it was terrible and swear of its existence, but don't 'assume' the same opinion for the rest of us. I actually know a lot of people who fell in love with the character of Superman because of the movie.

I understand your point but you have to consider one major thing -- the studio's want nothing to do with it because they realize what trash it is. Even someone on these boards whose every comment was to be contrary to me (because that is what they live for) made a glaring point. The movie has so many plot holes and loose ends that there is nothing to recover from. There is no fun in a sequel with either two major options

1. - Supes and Lois get together and have super kid

2. - Supes continues his stalker angst

I didn't assume the same option for you all, what option did I give you. There are people who liked it and people who didn't, the people who didn't is the majority which why that cast and crew were a one shot pony. The Superman Returns crew are gone, that story is gone, now we have a chance to move into a new possibility and moving back to the core of Superman without the needless silly and unwelcomed kid drama. I fully welcome this new guy like I did Routh, hopefully he won't let me down.

Funny because watching Scott Pilgrim, Routh actually looked good. He looked more like how Superman should look. Maybe it was just a couple of years to early for him, but working with that hack crew ruined any future possibilties.

Now here's a question for those tired of seeing Lex. What if he constructed his battle suit in the film and became, physically, a more formidable opponent for Superman? Would it be acceptable to use Lex then?

i have more then enough from lex luthor because all he does is sitting around and talk trash. making everyone believe he is the best. now give him a suit and put him in a more active role and i am in. he doesnt even happen to have his armor but he should do more then just talk. like the joker in dark knight. he is not a big fella but with every word that came out of him you were, yeah i believe you. for me the hate of luthor against superman is bigger then to send just two bodyguards to him with a little kryptonite. the new movie should have more fight scene's and they should stop with superman being over everything, like moving an entire island and going back in time or giving lost memory kisses.

Lex is cool man, he may not be as physically active as say Batman but he is almost his level of intelligence. If you guys read more modern Supes comics you guys would see just how awesome Lex is. Also please don't reference that crap movie Superman Returns, it was silly at best, if Luthor had him that way he would of done it himself. A good look at Lex was in the JLU cartoon when he took over the injustice gang, that is what Luthor does, that is why he is awesome.

Also I agree with a modern interpretation of Clark. The animated show just made him unassuming without being a complete bubbling nerd. Those days are basically over, to their credit on Superman Returns, he was a little goofy but not like some of the older interpretations that had him silly.

i love lex luthor but in the movies he always comes off as a nerdy villain. not that hard buisness man who wants to destroy superman and own everything. i loved him in the animated series of justice league and superman or any animated show. he is in perfect shape and knows what he does. for me lex should be tall and in good shape because lex seeks perfection in every area. thats why he cant stand superman because he is perfect.

i am totaly on your side. i loved the movie and people saying that the costume looks gay is weird. i dont even know what the definition of gay looks like but i guess that must be it. the superman costume.

Another factoid the Superman Returns haters like to ignore: In the United States, nearly as many people went to see Superman Returns as Batman Begins. Worldwide, even MORE did. So no, it wasn't exactly "rejected by the public."

Oh, no back tracking here. IF it was an ALL a gay agenda (which was not the entire case), then that's ONE reason why I didn't like it. Otherwise the film failed because it sucked.

There was no overall gay agenda, but that costume def had its influence. The whole gay thing was one of many problems associated with the film.

Everyone can act all PC but the below costume IMO without offense to anyone screams homosexuality.

40197_ba.jpg

And you think putting it in brighter colors and making the "S" bigger would somehow make it "less gay?" Methinks you're looking at a double-standard here.

I hate to break it to you, SP, but if you think this costume is "gay," all you're really saying is that you think Superman's costume is gay, period.

Now here's a question for those tired of seeing Lex. What if he constructed his battle suit in the film and became, physically, a more formidable opponent for Superman? Would it be acceptable to use Lex then?

i have more then enough from lex luthor because all he does is sitting around and talk trash. making everyone believe he is the best. now give him a suit and put him in a more active role and i am in. he doesnt even happen to have his armor but he should do more then just talk. like the joker in dark knight. he is not a big fella but with every word that came out of him you were, yeah i believe you. for me the hate of luthor against superman is bigger then to send just two bodyguards to him with a little kryptonite. the new movie should have more fight scene's and they should stop with superman being over everything, like moving an entire island and going back in time or giving lost memory kisses.

Lex is cool man, he may not be as physically active as say Batman but he is almost his level of intelligence. If you guys read more modern Supes comics you guys would see just how awesome Lex is. Also please don't reference that crap movie Superman Returns, it was silly at best, if Luthor had him that way he would of done it himself. A good look at Lex was in the JLU cartoon when he took over the injustice gang, that is what Luthor does, that is why he is awesome.

Also I agree with a modern interpretation of Clark. The animated show just made him unassuming without being a complete bubbling nerd. Those days are basically over, to their credit on Superman Returns, he was a little goofy but not like some of the older interpretations that had him silly.

i love lex luthor but in the movies he always comes off as a nerdy villain. not that hard buisness man who wants to destroy superman and own everything. i loved him in the animated series of justice league and superman or any animated show. he is in perfect shape and knows what he does. for me lex should be tall and in good shape because lex seeks perfection in every area. thats why he cant stand superman because he is perfect.

Yes, the modern interpretation is better for Lex. How you described him and what he should be is exactly how they made him in the toons and comics in the past couple of years. Seriously, I hope they take the modern idea of Lex and exploit is like they did the Joker in DK.

• Like 1

Another factoid the Superman Returns haters like to ignore: In the United States, nearly as many people went to see Superman Returns as Batman Begins. Worldwide, even MORE did. So no, it wasn't exactly "rejected by the public."

40197_ba.jpg

And you think putting it in brighter colors and making the "S" bigger would somehow make it "less gay?" Methinks you're looking at a double-standard here.

I hate to break it to you, SP, but if you think this costume is "gay," all you're really saying is that you think Superman's costume is gay, period.

Whatever dude, if you don't see it then fine........whatever. How you look at that outfit and see it as inappropiate is beyond me, in that is YOUR twist then fine, its not mine and many others agree. YES, I think the tiny S, huge mid section, high neck, speedo trunks and almost elfin boots looks gay. Do I think the standard outfit looks gay.....NO I DON"T!

Look the gay thing is getting touchy, let's just drop it and move on.

Supposedly Kristen Stewart from Twilight was reporded to be Lois Lane. This I think would of been a bad choice for Lois Lane because she is a lame personality. Lois Lane is always a fireball character and this girl is nothing but angst ridden, both in her personal and professional life.

• Like 1

I concur about Kristen Stewart as Lois Lane. I don't think the girl really knows how to smile and her personality on film and in person is to subdued for the energy required to be Lois Lane. Kate Bosworth had the energy, but she was way too skinny and way too young. I'm putting my trust in Zack Snyder. I liked the Watchmen a whole lot and thought it was well cast. The new actor to play Supes certainly looks like Supes and I hope he can pull off a great Superman and Clark Kent. So far it's looking good to me.

I concur about Kristen Stewart as Lois Lane. I don't think the girl really knows how to smile and her personality on film and in person is to subdued for the energy required to be Lois Lane. Kate Bosworth had the energy, but she was way too skinny and way too young. I'm putting my trust in Zack Snyder. I liked the Watchmen a whole lot and thought it was well cast. The new actor to play Supes certainly looks like Supes and I hope he can pull off a great Superman and Clark Kent. So far it's looking good to me.

I never really like Kate, she just didn't have the look to me, but imagine she could be feisty in her own way. I think the woman who played in the serials, Margo Kidder, and Teri (amazing) Hatcher all kind of lived it which is why it worked. I am excited about the movie the possibilities are endless.

You know what bugged me about Routh's Superman?

His hair.

Seriously, whoever the hairstylist on SupeReturns was needs to be banned from Hollywood. It was this awkward over hairsprayed sculpted mess. It was like a bad combover plastered to his head with vaseline. Awful.

Yes, thank you! Plus the hair curl didn't look natural at all. It looks forced and like you said hairsprayed and sculpted. The curl should flow from his hair naturally, not be an afterthought after you already covered your hair in gel.

Ugh. I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those threads that tries to convince us that Superman Returns sucked because of some secret gay agenda. Complete BS.

Yes, the director was gay. No, that's NOT the reason the movie didn't work.

I must of been off somewheres

I have never heard that before how ridiculous to come up with nothing better then to pick on Byran Singers sexual orientation

If Bryan Singers orientation determines the outcome of something established then it does warrant comments and observations. Superman Returns was a colossal joke and it didn't hit with audiences or kids. I am sorry but I don't believe boys want to play with a weak chinned metro sexual Superman in speedos.

Also I am not sorry for NOT wanting a metro sexual Superman who is some gay fantasy, keep it to the core of the character. Boys left those horrible toys on the shelf right where they belonged, another reason it was deemed a colossal failure. DVD sales also proved it was a losing combination of Singer/story/casting

The movie was sooo flawed, even Singer in his arrogance forbid people to bring Superman comics on the set because they hampered his flawed and selfish vision of the character. He made one good movie Usual Suspects while everything else was total garbage. I remember casual fans hated the movie, it was a joke.

The costume sucked

The story sucked

The casting sucked...........there is nothing that can be done with those things all flawed.

I look forward to this new movie, at least a chance to get it right. The reason the Superman project has been in limbo so many years before and after SR is because selfish directors and producers who want to re envision the character rather than staying true to its roots.

Seriously, don't clump everyone together.

Also, you really need some counseling if you have that much of a problem with gay people.

• Like 1

40197_ba.jpg

That's all you buddy. Just because it screams Gay Aggenda to you doesn't make it fact and doesn't mean it's true for everyone else. I think the suit looks awkward, ill fitting, and visually uninteresting. There's too much negative space in Superman's mid-section and I've always thought that. Nothing gay about it. I've never even considered that.

And Speedos aren't inherently gay anyway. Just because you're homophobic doesn't mean Speedos or the Superman costume is gay. Go to Europe where the Speedos are common and you'll see that straight men wear them all the time.

The perception of them and this costume would be based purely on your upbringing and the fact that you're apparently a bigot. The costume was badly designed and Brandon Routh wasn't bulky enough to properly fill it in my opinion. He wasn't big enough to be Superman and if you're going to wear a costume like that you should have some bulk to you.

Anyway the trunks were too small and too low, and the S was too small as well, but that doesn't mean it's gay or that it screams gay aggenda. Again the only reason you think this is because you have a preconcieved notion of homosexual people and you really need counseling.

• Like 1

40197_ba.jpg

Whatever dude, if you don't see it then fine........whatever. How you look at that outfit and see it as inappropiate is beyond me, in that is YOUR twist then fine, its not mine and many others agree. YES, I think the tiny S, huge mid section, high neck, speedo trunks and almost elfin boots looks gay. Do I think the standard outfit looks gay.....NO I DON"T!

Supposedly Kristen Stewart from Twilight was reporded to be Lois Lane. This I think would of been a bad choice for Lois Lane because she is a lame personality. Lois Lane is always a fireball character and this girl is nothing but angst ridden, both in her personal and professional life.

Again, there's nothing inherently gay about the costume. There's nothing inherently gay about anything except I suppose two people of the same sex fondling each others' naughty bits.

• Like 1

Ugh. I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those threads that tries to convince us that Superman Returns sucked because of some secret gay agenda. Complete BS.

Yes, the director was gay. No, that's NOT the reason the movie didn't work.

I must of been off somewheres

I have never heard that before how ridiculous to come up with nothing better then to pick on Byran Singers sexual orientation

If Bryan Singers orientation determines the outcome of something established then it does warrant comments and observations. Superman Returns was a colossal joke and it didn't hit with audiences or kids. I am sorry but I don't believe boys want to play with a weak chinned metro sexual Superman in speedos.

Also I am not sorry for NOT wanting a metro sexual Superman who is some gay fantasy, keep it to the core of the character. Boys left those horrible toys on the shelf right where they belonged, another reason it was deemed a colossal failure. DVD sales also proved it was a losing combination of Singer/story/casting

The movie was sooo flawed, even Singer in his arrogance forbid people to bring Superman comics on the set because they hampered his flawed and selfish vision of the character. He made one good movie Usual Suspects while everything else was total garbage. I remember casual fans hated the movie, it was a joke.

The costume sucked

The story sucked

The casting sucked...........there is nothing that can be done with those things all flawed.

I look forward to this new movie, at least a chance to get it right. The reason the Superman project has been in limbo so many years before and after SR is because selfish directors and producers who want to re envision the character rather than staying true to its roots.

Seriously, don't clump everyone together.

Also, you really need some counseling if you have that much of a problem with gay people.

Here we go again, why are you bringing it back up and WHERE AND WHEN DID I STATE I HAD A PROBLEM WITH GAY PEOPLE..........I have a problem with the way Superman looked in returns

40197_ba.jpg

That's all you buddy. Just because it screams Gay Aggenda to you doesn't make it fact and doesn't mean it's true for everyone else. I think the suit looks awkward, ill fitting, and visually uninteresting. There's too much negative space in Superman's mid-section and I've always thought that. Nothing gay about it. I've never even considered that.

And Speedos aren't inherently gay anyway. Just because you're homophobic doesn't mean Speedos or the Superman costume is gay. Go to Europe where the Speedos are common and you'll see that straight men wear them all the time.

The perception of them and this costume would be based purely on your upbringing and the fact that you're apparently a bigot. The costume was badly designed and Brandon Routh wasn't bulky enough to properly fill it in my opinion. He wasn't big enough to be Superman and if you're going to wear a costume like that you should have some bulk to you.

Anyway the trunks were too small and too low, and the S was too small as well, but that doesn't mean it's gay or that it screams gay aggenda. Again the only reason you think this is because you have a preconcieved notion of homosexual people and you really need counseling.

You need counseling like so many others who are fixed on my every word..........boooo, I guess I am the boogeyman whatever.

1. I can NOT like anything I don't want to like

2. I can believe whatever I want to believe and why I choose to believe it

Calling me names mean nothing, doesn't change the facts so whatever. I can make assumptions about you and your lack of awareness on the influence of the outfit. Now you want to attack me personally because I didn't like the outfit or where I believe its influences come from??...umm ok. Do I feel the costume as inappropiate, absolutely I do and do I think it had gay influences, again I absolutely do. So what, why do you are anyone else care so much to harp on my every single word. The discussion is dead on the gay thing, move on to the idea of the topic.

40197_ba.jpg

Again, there's nothing inherently gay about the costume. There's nothing inherently gay about anything except I suppose two people of the same sex fondling each others' naughty bits.

Whatever man, get a life and move on.

Can we get a moderator in here please? I'm sick of reading this sh*t. JayC banned it for a reason.

And SP, seriously, shut up. Wiseman made a joke and you had to yet again bring up how "gay" Brandon Routh looks as Superman.

Then (as usual) you started railing on people for not sharing your opinion ERRRR "not seeing it" and being PC.

Then, after taking heat for it the past couple days, all of a sudden you want to move on and get pissed off when someone doesn't "accept" your call to do so.

If you didn't want to deal with the heat that comes with a provocative statement then you shouldn't have brought it up.

Maybe you should just call everyone that disagrees with you a stalker, complain about your rating (even though you don't care about it) and move on yourself.

And before you lay your "another person who picks my words apart" line on me I haven't said a word about anything you've posted in months. So don't bother.

• Like 5