New Supes is....

jahue

Its another gross incongruity in a movie that is just full of them.

That kid being 5 is pushing it. And for anyone to even have a chance of believing he was Cyclops', Lois would have had to have gotten pregnant almost immediately after Supes left Earth. The Man of Steel must be pretty easy to get over.

I can overlook a plot hole or two and just go with it, but I can't believe plot holes this numerous got past whole teams of writers, producers, and other honchos.

Point of order, Superman Returns was never meant as a direct sequal to the Chris Reeve movies. As the producers put it, they were being used as a "vague history."

Well the only time Supes and Lois did the dangling deed was in Superman 2, and it wasn't established WHEN he knocked her up in Returns, so...........vague or not, there's the cinematic tie-in.

That kid being 5 is pushing it. And for anyone to even have a chance of believing he was Cyclops', Lois would have had to have gotten pregnant almost immediately after Supes left Earth. The Man of Steel must be pretty easy to get over.

Well, he did kiss her, and thus made her "forget" at the end of Superman 2, so there is that out.

It was a follow-up in terms of story but I never heard anything about it being set in the 80's.

The original movies clearly took place in the late 1970's ( automobiles, styles of dress, technologies etc) --Superman Returns takes place 5 years after Superman 2--so they tell us. That means that if Superman: the Movie, and Superman 2 took place in 1979/1980-ish.......then 5 years later is..........do the math.

Yeah, Superman Returns SHOULD be set in 1985, not in 2007--otherwise his "son" has been 5 years old for 22 years now.

I think Lois and everyone else would have picked up on that...

Its another gross incongruity in a movie that is just full of them.

Yeah I went on youtube and saw some scenes that indicate its in modern times (cars amd computers) )though some of the dress and hair had older styles.

Aw, Superman Returns wasn't so bad. It had issues sure, but certainly nothing that couldn't have been cleaned up with a decent sequal. I kinda liked it.

As for Singer, his alleged orientation is immaterial. The man's previous body of work, Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects, X-Men, etc. speaks for itself.

wait a second... X-men sucked! I think Singer just shouldn't be allowed to do any comic-based movies.

No matter who the villain turns out to be, one thing I hope is avoided with the new movie is the nerdy buffoon portrayal of Clark. As great as the Reeve movies were (even the bad ones), that was one thing that always bugged me.

I've always been a fan of the George Reeves, John Newton, Dean Cain "Clark as a Normal Joe" school. As a matter of fact, Reeves took it a little farther as his Clark could be quite the tough guy when he had to be.

Yeah, I've always preferred Clark Kent as a realistic person rather than a bumbling caricature. The whole "well if I'm a clumsy milquetoast in my civilian self no one will suspect me of being Superman" might have worked in the Golden/Silver age, but nowadays it'd likely draw -more- attention to yourself than simply...being relatively normal. An unassuming-yet-competent fellow who's in good shape and has strong principles.

Personally, with the Nolans having a hand in this I can't imagine they won't go with a more realistic portrayal of Clark in his civilian guise. One more in tune with post-"Man of Steel" modern comic depictions.

i had the same feeling with peter parker. ok he cant manage his whole life like a normal guy and thats why he is always late and not reliable but peter isnt goofy, like he is in the movies. clark kent is the same. for me he isn't goofy at all and still got portrayed like this in the movies. i loved when the superman animated series came out and clark was a good reporter and not a clumsy guy. i love the new guy for superman. they go a new direction and having routh on board would remind people of returns. i liked returns. a little long but not bad at all.

Now here's a question for those tired of seeing Lex. What if he constructed his battle suit in the film and became, physically, a more formidable opponent for Superman? Would it be acceptable to use Lex then?

i have more then enough from lex luthor because all he does is sitting around and talk trash. making everyone believe he is the best. now give him a suit and put him in a more active role and i am in. he doesnt even happen to have his armor but he should do more then just talk. like the joker in dark knight. he is not a big fella but with every word that came out of him you were, yeah i believe you. for me the hate of luthor against superman is bigger then to send just two bodyguards to him with a little kryptonite. the new movie should have more fight scene's and they should stop with superman being over everything, like moving an entire island and going back in time or giving lost memory kisses.

Now here's a question for those tired of seeing Lex. What if he constructed his battle suit in the film and became, physically, a more formidable opponent for Superman? Would it be acceptable to use Lex then?

i have more then enough from lex luthor because all he does is sitting around and talk trash. making everyone believe he is the best. now give him a suit and put him in a more active role and i am in. he doesnt even happen to have his armor but he should do more then just talk. like the joker in dark knight. he is not a big fella but with every word that came out of him you were, yeah i believe you. for me the hate of luthor against superman is bigger then to send just two bodyguards to him with a little kryptonite. the new movie should have more fight scene's and they should stop with superman being over everything, like moving an entire island and going back in time or giving lost memory kisses.

Lex is cool man, he may not be as physically active as say Batman but he is almost his level of intelligence. If you guys read more modern Supes comics you guys would see just how awesome Lex is. Also please don't reference that crap movie Superman Returns, it was silly at best, if Luthor had him that way he would of done it himself. A good look at Lex was in the JLU cartoon when he took over the injustice gang, that is what Luthor does, that is why he is awesome.

Also I agree with a modern interpretation of Clark. The animated show just made him unassuming without being a complete bubbling nerd. Those days are basically over, to their credit on Superman Returns, he was a little goofy but not like some of the older interpretations that had him silly.

• Like 1

In the end, all the Superman Returns, Brandon Routh, and Singer fans are a very small and insignificant minority. The real fans have spoken!!

Omg, the arrogance of the statement just kills me. Who are you exactly to determine who the "real fan" are?

Don't let the homophobes try to diminish you, man.

Its just an ignorant voice trying to take a movie and make a homophobic statement with it.

• Like 1

Aw, Superman Returns wasn't so bad. It had issues sure, but certainly nothing that couldn't have been cleaned up with a decent sequal. I kinda liked it.

As for Singer, his alleged orientation is immaterial. The man's previous body of work, Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects, X-Men, etc. speaks for itself.

wait a second... X-men sucked! I think Singer just shouldn't be allowed to do any comic-based movies.

Wait ,what his x-men films were respected films.they were good moives except for the third.

I must have missed all these gay overtones in Superman Returns.

Ughh.. me too... and I'm gay. Guess people will see what they want to see when they're apparentlying obsessed with a director's sexual orientation.. @hmmm@

I feel bad now because I started this homophobic-oriented line of thinking in this discussion. :(

I did it to rib and poke fun at CLAM for ripping my Flash Gordon film in a past thread. Although Routh is not gay (as far as I know), he played gay rolls in the Tv show Will & Grace and many people from the gay community had embraced him as a roll model when he became Superman. Although the film is more of a homage to the Donner films, the fact that Singer was the director allowed the film to be open for MORE homophobic jokes. Some people have taken those jokes seriously. From the smaller, more stylized "S" to the maroon cape. For me, the film it's self had no homosexual over-tones. I just thought it was a bad movie. Period.

As far as turning this conversation in that direction, MY BAD.

Ughh.. me too... and I'm gay. Guess people will see what they want to see when they're apparentlying obsessed with a director's sexual orientation.. @hmmm@

I feel bad now because I started this homophobic-oriented line of thinking in this discussion. :(

I did it to rib and poke fun at CLAM for ripping my Flash Gordon film in a past thread. Although Routh is not gay (as far as I know), he played gay rolls in the Tv show Will & Grace and many people from the gay community had embraced him as a roll model when he became Superman. Although the film is more of a homage to the Donner films, the fact that Singer was the director allowed the film to be open for MORE homophobic jokes. Some people have taken those jokes seriously. From the smaller, more stylized "S" to the maroon cape. For me, the film it's self had no homosexual over-tones. I just thought it was a bad movie. Period.

@pow@ Bad Mod! Now go to your room and think about what you've done. @smilepunch@

@pow@ Bad Mod! Now go to your room and think about what you've done. @smilepunch@

Hey he's a Mod too! He shouldn't get milk or cookies either. @grumpy@ .. @loll@

Hey he's a Mod too! He shouldn't get milk or cookies either. @grumpy@ .. @loll@

Fine, you can both go to bed without dessert. More Ice Cream for me!! @bananna@

In the end, all the Superman Returns, Brandon Routh, and Singer fans are a very small and insignificant minority. The real fans have spoken!!

Omg, the arrogance of this statement just kills me. Who are you exactly to determine who the "real fan" are?

It's the truth, the film was trash, the public didn't warm up to it, a few people here on TNI and abroad like it,.....so what.......neither WB or DC warmed up to it. Singers gone and so is Routh, the proof is right there.

Also some may backtrack because they are scared but yes there is a reason Routh was picked and his costume stylzed as it was. Can't escape truth no matter how PC some people here try to be.

• Like 1

Also some may backtrack because they are scared but yes there is a reason Routh was picked and his costume stylzed as it was. Can't escape truth no matter how PC some people here try to be.

Oh, no back tracking here. IF it was an ALL a gay agenda (which was not the entire case), then that's ONE reason why I didn't like it. Otherwise the film failed because it sucked.

Don't worry about it, we Straight....ummm I mean we cool, @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Don't feel bad. It was apparrent that you first post was just an innocent joke. Hopefully you don't think my comment was directed at you in any way. Just reacting to the arguement as a whole.